Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I would bet Tevinter and that’s why they are in a forever war with each other without really knowing why they are in a forever war with other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DA more like DOA haha. :(

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Helith posted:

I would bet Tevinter and that’s why they are in a forever war with each other without really knowing why they are in a forever war with other.

My wife is currently playing DAI for the first time and she's playing a Qunari woman. She just recently had the post-dragon hunt conversation with Bull where you drink the Qunari booze for the first time. He specifically says something about how Tevinter experimented with cross-breeding a long, long time ago and since Tevinter worshiped dragons it's possible that they crossed some dragon DNA with humans or other races. It's not subtle at all.

And yeah the Qunari homeland is probably long gone by now which is hosed up. You'd think that even though the Qunari are all very top-down command and control, at least someone would go back and see what's up. Then again maybe they did and didn't come back. :shrug:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

A big theory developed off the dragon hybrid theory is that the entire Qunari society is to keep all of them sane and safe. Every qunari is essentially a Reaver after all so the Qun ensures that they all stay obedient and calm. One thing I've seen commented upon is how Bull fears becoming Tal-Vashoth. He has no great love for the ideals of the Qun but, in his mind, Tal-Vashoth are mindless beasts. He stays loyal because he doesn't want that to happen to him. Ironically, the Tal-Vashoth still "follow the Qun" by becoming rabid thugs when they leave the Qun, complying with the stereotype that, without the Qun, you will become a violent brute.

If this all is true, the current Qunari would want nothing to do with their crazed ancestors.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

NikkolasKing posted:

A big theory developed off the dragon hybrid theory is that the entire Qunari society is to keep all of them sane and safe. Every qunari is essentially a Reaver after all so the Qun ensures that they all stay obedient and calm. One thing I've seen commented upon is how Bull fears becoming Tal-Vashoth. He has no great love for the ideals of the Qun but, in his mind, Tal-Vashoth are mindless beasts. He stays loyal because he doesn't want that to happen to him. Ironically, the Tal-Vashoth still "follow the Qun" by becoming rabid thugs when they leave the Qun, complying with the stereotype that, without the Qun, you will become a violent brute.

If this all is true, the current Qunari would want nothing to do with their crazed ancestors.

I feel like that would have more weight if IB wasn't already half Tal-Vashoth when you meet him. You essentially have to re-affirm his adherence to the Qun by slaughtering his men. He fears madness. His strategy isn't so much strict adherence to the Qun as it is a three part plan of 1) avoiding/killing magic/demon poo poo, 2) having some friends, and 3) getting hit with sticks.

But yeah, the Qunari don't crave the Qun, they just need structure so they don't tear each other apart.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Ginette Reno posted:

The question is if elves made them or tevinter

I'm saying Cory's stuff makes it more likely that Tevinter did it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dienes posted:

I feel like that would have more weight if IB wasn't already half Tal-Vashoth when you meet him. You essentially have to re-affirm his adherence to the Qun by slaughtering his men. He fears madness. His strategy isn't so much strict adherence to the Qun as it is a three part plan of 1) avoiding/killing magic/demon poo poo, 2) having some friends, and 3) getting hit with sticks.

But yeah, the Qunari don't crave the Qun, they just need structure so they don't tear each other apart.

There's a subtle and funny thing that happens if Bull does go Tal-Vashoth - you know that mental game of chess he plays with Solas, and how Solas wins? Pay attention to how Solas wins. Solas lures Bull into taking Solas' queen, creating an opening for Solas to sneak a pawn and bishop behind Bull's lines. Bull moves a piece out of position to take the pawn, allowing the bishop to move in and checkmate. It's also identical to a famous chess game called the Immortal Game.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

I'm saying Cory's stuff makes it more likely that Tevinter did it.

I think that makes sense too, especially given Tevinter has the obvious connection to Dragons. I could see the Old Gods having taught the Vints how to create Reavers/Qunari.

Especially Reavers. That tradition has to come from somewhere, but nobody seems to understand why it is that Dragons tolerate human cults and even let them protect their lairs and drink some of their blood to make Reavers. Yet those humans clearly learned that poo poo from someone long ago. My guess is the Old Gods.

Though Elves did have some Draconic connections too. There's the obvious Mythal connection and also that story about how some ancient Elves were punished for taking a form (Dragon) reserved for the Gods.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
EA should hire Obsidian to do the next one.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

Especially Reavers. That tradition has to come from somewhere, but nobody seems to understand why it is that Dragons tolerate human cults and even let them protect their lairs and drink some of their blood to make Reavers. Yet those humans clearly learned that poo poo from someone long ago. My guess is the Old Gods.

I sort of feel like the subclasses aren't part of the story and anything they do doesn't matter.
That's probably the fault of how Blood Magic works in-game.

Bumblebee
May 23, 2007

Clever Betty
The Bioware store is closing. Should we be concerned? :ohdear:

http://twitter.com/JonRenish/status/985979386842132480

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Bumblebee posted:

God drat those discounts are huge.

BioWare dead.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Hopefully it's just because nobody knew they had a store, and thus they're dumping stock and closing because of that.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Bumblebee posted:

Yes. It's pretty obvious to me that Dragon Age is being completely mismanaged, and Anthem is Bioware's last chance. Which is insane to me because DA is a property that has always been commercially successful.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nichael posted:

Yes. It's pretty obvious to me that Dragon Age is being completely mismanaged, and Anthem is Bioware's last chance. Which is insane to me because DA is a property that has always been commercially successful.

So was Mass Effect until Andromeda. Even then, I think it was a commercial success, but it was a critical bomb and not anything like as successful as it was expected to be.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Dragon Age after its third game is in a much stronger position than Mass Effect was. People generally liked Inquisition, and people want to know what happens next in its story, which so far has been pretty well done and soundly constructed. The same can't be said for Mass Effect 3. Again, it's just crazy to me that they'd trash all this work and potential for profit.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 17, 2018

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Welcome to EA where their unrealistic profit expectations destroys good studios

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
didn't make a trillion dollars back from your game that had a bloated 10 billion dollar budget? CLOSED

make a brilliant first player star wars game that doesn't have a lottery attached? CLOSED

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Read into it how you want, but there was also a blog post from Casey Hudson today - http://blog.bioware.com/2018/04/16/studio-update-from-casey-hudson/

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
Anthem Age

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
gosh I really would like to see a good Dragon Age 4 and that does not make me optimistic!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

HIJK posted:

Welcome to EA where their unrealistic profit expectations destroys good studios

RIP Command & Conquer

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nichael posted:

RIP Command & Conquer

And Wing Commander.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pattonesque posted:

gosh I really would like to see a good Dragon Age 4 and that does not make me optimistic!

I'll take even Inquisition quality. DA:I wasn't perfect, but it was a solid game.

If they can make something as good as Origins I'll play it a bunch.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Putting the Bioware name on Anthem is just baffling. I can't understand why they'd do it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Bumblebee posted:

Okay, which one of you took the last good DA hoodie?

It was literally in my cart. Was.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

Putting the Bioware name on Anthem is just baffling. I can't understand why they'd do it.

Yeah it's hilarious. This is like the opposite of when EA intended to make Bioware their RPG/MMO studio brand and reorganized studios and their names as such (created "Bioware" Austin for SWTOR, renamed Mythic to Bioware Mythic for about three years). Maybe Bioware will take off again, as a lifestyle shooter studio :hfive:

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

Taear posted:

EA want to push Bioware brand name recognition before its completely used up & toxic af to compete against Bungie/Activision and crack the Destiny clone market

both bioware & bungie reputations are going to be burnt alive on the altar of forever-mmo-shooters tbh

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

EA want to push Bioware brand name recognition before its completely used up & toxic af to compete against Bungie/Activision and crack the Destiny clone market

both bioware & bungie reputations are going to be burnt alive on the altar of forever-mmo-shooters tbh

Lol that owns

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Taear posted:

Anthem could (cough) be a decent looter-shooter, but I highly suspect the people running the show don't understand what fans of BW games like about them. Pretty sure it ain't grindy loot acquisition and repetitive missions.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Anthem could (cough) be a decent looter-shooter, but I highly suspect the people running the show don't understand what fans of BW games like about them. Pretty sure it ain't grindy loot acquisition and repetitive missions.

ME3 MP proved it can work as long as the combat is really fun, but that's a heck of a conditional.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Didn't they eventually climb out of the huge money pit that was SWTOR and start turning a profit? Maybe they're trying to do that again, but with guns instead lightsabers to get those Destiny bucks.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Of all the studios to be eaten up and destroyed, it happening to Bioware would bum me out the most. Even though I know the Bioware I fell in love with is gone and has been gone pretty much since Mass Effect 2, if even that long. And I've still loved their games like ME3 and DA:I. So how many years until we see the developers from Bioware pushing their kickstarter games like Obsideon. Will the DA and ME series be the template for the next batch of games to be funded by people because studios messed up so bad like how Torment and Baldur's Gate were for Pillars?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Literally the only video games I play are the DA series and CK2, I'd be pretty bummed if 50% of that was kaput

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

ME3 MP proved it can work as long as the combat is really fun, but that's a heck of a conditional.

After DAI MP and MEA MP I think ME3 MP was just a fluke.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Cythereal posted:

They totally failed at it with Inquisition's multiplayer, though.

Bumblebee
May 23, 2007

Clever Betty
So apparently the closure is temporary. :thunk:

I don’t think they were expecting that big of a reaction to the announcement yesterday.

https://twitter.com/bioware/status/986275993160527872?s=21

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Cythereal posted:

I love the poo poo out of ME3 MP, but I wouldn't pay $60 for it as a standalone. I'm honestly kind of surprised they never released just the MP for $15 or $20. Considering the servers are still up 6 years later they're probably still making some money from lootboxes.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Avalerion posted:

They totally failed at it with Inquisition's multiplayer, though.

I think the main reason for that is the combat system. I mean, it's works great for the single player campaign, but it's not 700 hours of grinding (like what I did in ME3MP) kind of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Coop multiplayer needs to be fun casually and DAI's wasn't that, people are going to give up real fast if a random group can't consistently beat the easiest difficulty. Andromeda's I actually enjoyed for a while until the playerbase cratered after the single player issues.