Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

vains posted:

Why is disassembling your weapon a big deal In the navy?

He was standing armed watch and disassembled his loaded sidearm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
he did it while he was standing a post

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vains posted:

Why is disassembling your weapon a big deal In the navy?

The only time you really have a weapon is when you're on an armed watch. It really shouldn't be out of the holster on said watch unless you are using it.

You also probably haven't been qualified or authorized to disassemble it.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
overseas, on post or on firewatch outside the wire, it’s expected that you at least wipe down and lube the crew serve at your position.. not an apples to apples comparison, but it doesn’t seem like a big deal.

is it explictely drilled into your head in the navy or something?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

vains posted:

overseas, on post or on firewatch outside the wire, it’s expected that you at least wipe down and lube the crew serve at your position.. not an apples to apples comparison, but it doesn’t seem like a big deal.

There are people that take care of all of the weapons. You check them out before watch and return them after to the armory. No one is ever just issued a weapon to carry on ships. The gunner’s mates will do all the cleaning and maintenance that the weapon needs.

Navy watchstanders should only have their weapon out of the holster when using it or turning it in.

The GMs running an armory on any ship are going to be mad as gently caress if you gently caress around with any of their weapons while you’re on watch.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

vains posted:

It's a big deal in the sense that the only legitimate reason he would have had for removing the weapon from its holster would have been to shoot someone.

He was playing with it while on armed watch.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Mr. Nice! posted:

There are people that take care of all of the weapons. You check them out before watch and return them after to the armory. No one is ever just issued a weapon to carry on ships. The gunner’s mates will do all the cleaning and maintenance that the weapon needs.

Navy watchstanders should only have their weapon out of the holster when using it or turning it in.

so it’s one of those things that you get beaten into your head from day one?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

McNally posted:

It's a big deal in the sense that the only legitimate reason he would have had for removing the weapon from its holster would have been to shoot someone.

He was playing with it while on armed watch.

It's this.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Viva Miriya posted:

Is NCIS on Atsugi being lovely really a thing? It would definitely help explain nothing being done about some poo poo that happened to one of our corpsmen.

More like no one ever even encountered NCIS the entire time I was there. Rumor said they hung out in Roppongi, but I don't remember anyone ever actually running into them.

In Iwakuni they're watching security cameras and tossing people's rooms at the barracks for cough syrup.

Seems a little unbalanced. I blame marines.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Why do A schools have armed watches?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

vains posted:

so it’s one of those things that you get beaten into your head from day one?

Pretty much. You never just have a weapon issued to you unless you’re standing an actual armed sentry watch. I’m guessing he wasn’t in condition one considering he’s at a training command (i think) but still you never have a gun unless you’re actively on watch.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

piL posted:

Gonna guess nuke.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

piL posted:

Because MTS is two slightly working nuclear reactors.

And yeah guns in the shipboard navy are handled much differently than army/marines. If you're the guy doing access control you get issued a gun at the start of your watch and turn that same gun over to the guy who relieves you on watch. All supervised. At the end of the day one of the people responsible for the gun will trade it for a different one and inspect the one that got carried around all day. The only time its ever out of the holster is if you're pointing it in the clearing barrel or pointing it to use it.

e; like as far as I know in the marines and army you have YOUR gun in the armory that they issue to you, and its yours to love and care for and clean. In the Navy its the ships armory's gun, and god help your soul if you so much as touch it wrong.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 17, 2018

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

yeah this is some weird poo poo to get upset over. How in the gently caress do yall think crew served weapons used in guard towers in country get cleaned?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Makes sense! I think on the spot turnovers are gone throughout most of the Navy now adays to avoid negligent discharges, aka a standard watchpop.

Also the Navy is an organisation that doesn't permit a Sailor to check whether battery operated emergency lighting is operable without a multiple page procedure, a ruler, a stopwatch, electrical safety gloves, eight (nine?) qualifications, an e-learning course, and a designation letter from the department head, so there's that...

piL fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 17, 2018

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

yeah this is some weird poo poo to get upset over. How in the gently caress do yall think crew served weapons used in guard towers in country get cleaned?

It is almost like the Navy is different from the Army and Marines. And that being in country is different from stateside or shipboard.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

That's not at all a valid comparison, though. In one case, the maintenance of the weapon is part of the post. In the other, the job is don't touch the gun unless you need to shoot someone.

It's more similar to a beat cop deciding that he's bored so he sits on a park bench, draws his duty weapon, and starts taking it apart.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

On ships the crew served weapons and small arms are all 100% maintained by the gunners mates. Regular sailors will never perform weapon maintenance or anything remotely more complicated than clearing a jam during a live fire shoot. If they’re at a CSW it’s just to man the gun and fire if necessary. If you have small arms on you, it’s specifically for a watch and you are only armed during said watch.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
In other branches, would it be unusual to disassemble equipment other than a firearm? For example, as someone not specifically trained in electronics repair or as a mechanic, would it be okay to take apart a radio or truck because you're bored?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

In other branches, would it be unusual to disassemble equipment other than a firearm? For example, as someone not specifically trained in electronics repair or as a mechanic, would it be okay to take apart a radio or truck because you're bored?

Okay? No. Can I see it happening? Yes.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

McNally posted:

Okay? No. Can I see it happening? Yes.

I mean, yeah, but I don't think that they'd be surprised if they got in trouble as a result.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I mean, yeah, but I don't think that they'd be surprised if they got in trouble as a result.

I knew an E-3 who was surprised he got in trouble for telling an E-6 to gently caress off.

For telling him to sweep the floor.

While he was on extra duty.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

You’ve held command.. how much of an rear end loving would you hand a guy with a clean record for this?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
It’s the navy so 45/45, and a reduction in rate. Also suspended forfeiture of pay, because the UCMJ says not to be mean, but conveniently ignore the reduction causes him to lose eligibility for BAH. Back to the barracks and immediately into foreclosure.

Just a guess.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

krispykremessuck posted:

It’s the navy so 45/45, and a reduction in rate. Also suspended forfeiture of pay, because the UCMJ says not to be mean, but conveniently ignore the reduction causes him to lose eligibility for BAH. Back to the barracks and immediately into foreclosure.

Just a guess.

Depending on marital status, my GiP xlsx is out of date (nonexistant), I could see 45/45 with both pay and reduction suspended.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Nick Soapdish posted:

Depending on marital status, my GiP xlsx is out of date (nonexistant), I could see 45/45 with both pay and reduction suspended.

Comedy option: KetTarma e-mails the thread to the Command, gets referred to NCIS and he ends up processed for a General after NCIS refers his finger loving of his M9 PDW to a summary court martial as criminal negligence.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

krispykremessuck posted:

Comedy option: KetTarma e-mails the thread to the Command, gets referred to NCIS and he ends up processed for a General after NCIS refers his finger loving of his M9 PDW to a summary court martial as criminal negligence.

Inshallah

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
honestly I hope dude's command is chill about all this

be cool everybody

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

DownByTheWooter posted:

honestly I hope dude's command is chill about all this

be cool everybody

Yeah it's fun to dogpile the guy and he certainly didn't show great thinking ability, but this could be solved with a removal of weapons quals and some extra duty helping the GMs or firearms instructors teach weapons safety and associated rules/regs.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

don't be a blue falcon y'all, but drat you set yourself up for excellence there.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

You’ve held command.. how much of an rear end loving would you hand a guy with a clean record for this?

As a CO who only maxed out 1 guy at NJP I would easily max him out and forbid him from standing an armed watch again while I was in command which, depending on rate would make eval competition hard.

I had a hundred other guys with clean records who don't need to be told not to do clearly irresponsible poo poo.

His pain would serve as an example to others.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

ManMythLegend posted:

As a CO who only maxed out 1 guy at NJP I would easily max him out and forbid him from standing an armed watch again while I was in command which, depending on rate would make eval competition hard.

I had a hundred other guys with clean records who don't need to be told not to do clearly irresponsible poo poo.

Would you hit him harder than someone who say, fell asleep on watch?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Elendil004 posted:

Probably the same.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

ManMythLegend posted:

As he is in an instructional position and supposed to be a role model I would be surprised if its anything less than the max considering he was loving around with a service weapon.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

For reference, the only person I maxed out at mast was a repeat FDNF liberty policy violator who not only broke curfew but deliberately filled out a fake liberty plan and convinced a junior sailor to lie on his as well to be his "liberty buddy". gently caress that guy.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
THE COMMAND

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

!!!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Oh Lordy.

Must remember to only tell normal boring poo poo that happens to me.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Elendil004 posted:

are we talking "shutdown reactor operator falls asleep alone in his chair at 0300 after doing maintenance until 2200" or "engine room rover leaves the engine room and goes to sleep in his rack while armed" here, because I've seen both and they're way different if your CO is worth a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Wait. Armed engine room rover?