Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

AJ has pinned several guys with the Clash. Both AJ/Nak and Brock/Roman may not have lived up to expectations, but I don't believe either is anywhere close to a WMOTY. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

If Jinder/AJ can get a HM/MOTYC just because AJ won then AJ/Nak can get a WMOTYC due to being a massive disappointment.

Brock/Roman is being nominated because it was a complete joke of a match that descended into parody when they kept fishing for F5 kickout cheers that were never going to happen.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Oh Snapple! posted:

If Jinder/AJ can get a HM/MOTYC just because AJ won then AJ/Nak can get a WMOTYC due to being a massive disappointment.

Brock/Roman is being nominated because it was a complete joke of a match that descended into parody when they kept fishing for F5 kickout cheers that were never going to happen.

yeah it went from "eh its fine" to very bad once brock just started hitting f5s, roman kicking out, then doing it again immediately.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You just need a Dishonorable Mention category for "Match I didn't like" because it's unclear whether hyperbole is discouraged or not in this thread.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

shiksa posted:

yeah it went from "eh its fine" to very bad once brock just started hitting f5s, roman kicking out, then doing it again immediately.

It was a weird match even before the F5 spam because it was seriously the WM31 match all over again, right up to Roman staging a comeback via a ringpost hit. I think probably the best that can be said of it is, yeah, "technically fine for what it is" but the blatant repeat from WM31 was already tainting it a bit even before it bottomed out with the F5 mess.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Oh Snapple! posted:

Not that either should have happened but that logic doesn't shake out. If you wanted to give AJ/Nak a WMOTYC there's a lot of other matches on the card you'd have to add first. Grading matches on a curve based on what you feel the wrestlers can possibly do is dumb.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I mean in this case it's specifically a matter of "we know what they can do, because we've literally seen it before." In general the point was that this dumb thing is based solely on subjective feelings and responses, so who cares if folks want to nominate a poorly constructed and executed match for WMOTY because it was a massive step down from the match that preceded it.

Aphrodite is probably right that this is a case where a Dishonorable Mention category would be great. The match deserves some form of recognition for being the complete fuckup it was, imo, and WMOTY is the only way to do that.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I'll nth HM Caristico vs. Mistico

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
A dishonorable mention of the year would be a match that is on the borderline of being a worst match of the year candidate but didn't quite reach those lowly requirements.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I didn't like this and feel like everyone should know that and also hopefully someone else will agree with me and validate my feelings.

Acronym would be pretty long though.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

I didn't like this and feel like everyone should know that and also hopefully someone else will agree with me and validate my feelings.

Acronym would be pretty long though.

IDLTAFLESKTAAHSEWAWMAVMFOTY: AJ Styles vs Nakamura, Wrestlemania 34

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

super macho dude posted:

Second.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

super macho dude posted:

Veto

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

this is what pissed me off more than anything about that match. They've turned that into his five knuckle shuffle and then suddenly it stops Nakamura dead at WrestleMania.

It makes sense if you view the match as a sequel to the WK one, because in NJPW, the Clash was basically the death move. And the story was Shinsuke's knee was hosed, but so was AJ's back, so neither could hit their big move without hurting themself.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'm pretty sure the only reason it took one Style's Clash is because Vince needed to make sure there was more OOMPH when Roman kicked out of 17 F5's

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GenericMartini posted:

I'll nth HM Caristico vs. Mistico

I'll third this since there are moral cowards who would not give it a full MOTY nod.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

Aphrodite is probably right that this is a case where a Dishonorable Mention category would be great. The match deserves some form of recognition for being the complete fuckup it was, imo, and WMOTY is the only way to do that.

As this is a match recommendation thread, I can see the merit in recommending people not go out of their way to see a hyped up match that failed to deliver. I don't think we need a year end list of average matches featuring great wrestlers though.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

HM: Shane Strickland vs Austin Aries for the Impact and DEFY titles, DEFY Vibes, 4/13th

Great match with a crowd that can be best described as molten. I'm fairly sure this one will be on Impact so y'all can actually see it. I have no idea why the Janela vs Randy Meyers match I mentioned in February still isn't available.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrDU4ED8p38

I shared it in the women's wrestling thread but I think it's worth sharing here too. DDT have made a bunch of their recent shows free on YouTube with English commentary (not great English commentary but hey). This is Tokyo Joshi Pro's January 4th show and the main event at (2:39:31) is probably the second best women's match I've seen this year after Io/Momo. Check it out and some of the other videos on the channel if you're interested in DDT.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Takagi is a loving genius and TJP is no different, he found a bunch of nobodies and they're starting to rival STARDOM, and most of the girls in TJP have been in the business less than 5 years. Except Riho who's 20 years old and has been in the business like 11 years. Tokyo Joshi Pro is like early STARDOM and ICE Ribbon where they're just churning out great wrestlers from nowhere.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Riho had a title reign teaming with Kenny Omega when she was like 12 lol

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Baron Corbyn posted:

Riho had a title reign teaming with Kenny Omega when she was like 12 lol
She had multiple reigns in a 6 person tag with someone who was like 6 years younger than her, when she was 13

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

Takagi is a loving genius and TJP is no different, he found a bunch of nobodies and they're starting to rival STARDOM, and most of the girls in TJP have been in the business less than 5 years. Except Riho who's 20 years old and has been in the business like 11 years. Tokyo Joshi Pro is like early STARDOM and ICE Ribbon where they're just churning out great wrestlers from nowhere.

Oh, TJP is a promotion, I thought you meant the WWE MRA who dabs

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I Before E posted:

Oh, TJP is a promotion, I thought you meant the WWE MRA who dabs
Nobody will speak highly of TJ Perkins

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Random four-match series recommendation, although I would go HM for the final meeting hair vs hair:

Dr. Cerebro vs Ricky Marvin – IWRG – 03/2018
03/04 – One Fall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pBx3qhnvds – GOOD
03/11 – One Fall, Super Libre (No DQ): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXnJs-ROgKc – FUN
03/18 – IWRG Intercontinental Middleweight Championship: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u5l2JKpdk8 – GOOD
03/25 – Hair vs Hair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26bhrLDgGcc – GREAT
Ricky Marvin came to IWRG and wrestled Dr. Cerebro every Sunday in March, with escalating stakes. Marvin’s having an incredible 2018 so far since leaving AAA for the Mexican indies. I found all the matches to be enjoyable but the final encounter was especially great. World veteran vs. local veteran is a solid premise for a feud and they did excellent technical wrestling and brawling in this series.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Boco_T posted:

Random four-match series recommendation, although I would go HM for the final meeting hair vs hair:

03/11 – One Fall, Super Libre (No DQ): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXnJs-ROgKc – FUN
03/18 – IWRG Intercontinental Middleweight Championship: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u5l2JKpdk8 – GOOD
Ricky Marvin came to IWRG and wrestled Dr. Cerebro every Sunday in March, with escalating stakes. Marvin’s having an incredible 2018 so far since leaving AAA for the Mexican indies. I found all the matches to be enjoyable but the final encounter was especially great. World veteran vs. local veteran is a solid premise for a feud and they did excellent technical wrestling and brawling in this series.

Very excited that Dr. Brain is back to good matches after the Ladder Match in a Steel Cage.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

HM: Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Tomohiro Ishii - RevPro Wrestlecon 2018 (April 6)

This is up on NJPW World now. Probably my favourite of their three matches. Well worth a watch

MOTYC: Shingo Takagi vs. Yuji Hino - AJPW Champion Carnival (April 15)

The match of the Champion Carnival so far and my match of the month. Just two big boys throwing bombs at each other. Try to find a way to watch this one..

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Boco_T posted:

Seconding the 3/25 match. Someone third MMM Doctor Brain.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

HM: Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Tomohiro Ishii - RevPro Wrestlecon 2018 (April 6)

This is up on NJPW World now. Probably my favourite of their three matches. Well worth a watch

Seconded

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
This may be a bit flimsy, but I'll toss it out there for everyone:

HM: Lucha House Party (Gran Metalik/Lince Dorado) v Hideo Itami/Akira Tozawa tornado tag match, 205 Live, April 17 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I won't second it but I will say I really enjoyed watching it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Lucha House Party is a silly but good name for a tag team

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI

MassRafTer posted:

Seconding the 3/25 match. Someone third MMM Doctor Brain.

3rd for brain hair v hair

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Added it, somebody please check that I got the details right.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Added it, somebody please check that I got the details right.

Yes although I am skeptical IWRG stands for anything.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
MOTYC: Matt Riddle vs. Shane Strickland, MLW Fusion

No idea when it's going to air (tonight?) but MLW put the unedited match on their website for free:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=824a3k4asyM

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'll second that. Rovert posted in the indies topic that it won't air because of Riddle's deal with WWN

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Man it is really nice getting to hear Tony Schiavone commentating again, being into the match, and not sounding like he wants to die.

I don't think I'd go as far as saying it was a MOTYC, but I really enjoyed the match.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Baron Corbyn posted:

MOTYC: Shingo Takagi vs. Yuji Hino - AJPW Champion Carnival (April 15)

The match of the Champion Carnival so far and my match of the month. Just two big boys throwing bombs at each other. Try to find a way to watch this one..

2nd this. Hino is the biggest of boys and Shingo holds his own as well. Great back and forth stuff and I hope it leads to Shingo stepping out more of the comfortable boundaries of Dragon Gate. It's on YouTube btw, just not from a legit source.

super macho dude fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
HM: Tommy Dreamer, Eddie Edwards and Moose vs. oVe, Impact Wrestling Redemption 4/22

Really well booked match complete with a hot angle and a TO THE BACK cut immediately after

Welcome back, TNA