Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wait, forced arbitration can still be enforced when you're contesting the validity of the original employment contract?

loving hell America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Dante80 posted:

How? This is essentially slavery, especially the repayment of monies you have already worked for. How can this stand in court?

Get an F for class participation because god drat you slept through the semester bud

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Milo and POTUS posted:

Get an F for class participation because god drat you slept through the semester bud

I'll gladly take that but I still think this would be impossible to uphold in a competent court. This is the stuff good dystopia movies are made from.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's a strange place man. JO (lol) isn't feigning shock half the loving time.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Seriously, nobody else is incredibly mad after this latest episode?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's hosed up but like the one before about immigration courts, there's not really a lot to talk about. It's one of those things where it boils down to "this should be illegal but isn't" because America.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I was kind of hoping for it not to be one of the maddening episodes. Left disappointed. Wish they had gone a bit farther with their own van concept and making it a force for good instead of an absurdity.

The best part in my opinion was actually the "Coming up on The Doctors" because a proper "And Now This" is one that leaves your face fully contorted in horror when it's done

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I was kind of hoping for it not to be one of the maddening episodes. Left disappointed. Wish they had gone a bit farther with their own van concept and making it a force for good instead of an absurdity.

Yeah they could have at least donated it to an actual women's health clinic. Failing that, the could have bought a fleet of the cheapest vans Craigslist has to offer, given them a quick paint job and created counter-propaganda buses to park outside the fake "pregnancy choices" buildings.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

Well, I would be, but this story is old news--so old that I was surprised it was being covered. I've known about these places and what they do for years. I can't remember if I saw something about this in an article or on some news or talk show, but it's been a few years or so now since I learned about what these crisis pregnancy centers do. And, more importantly, what they don't do, because once they convince you (using tactics that can consist of blatant dishonesty and fear-mongering) not to have an abortion, they conveniently seem to run out of things to help you with.

I was mad when I heard about it back then. I'm not happy about it now, but I've had time to accept that these places exist, and there's really not a lot I can do about it, because I don't even think any candidates have this as an issue on their radar. (I don't live in one of the states that funds these groups.)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

From what I've heard, that sort of contract lock in may be kinda common throughout the entertainment industry. It's certainly depicted as such in a lot of media, and there are famous examples of people having to weasel out of corporate contracts like Prince's ludicrous name change. It's not surprising that a big shady corporation devised the most "gently caress you" contract possible and even though it seems flagrantly illegal it still traps people because most humans can't stand up to corporate overlords in expensive civil courts.

What's surprising is how quietly it all happened. These are journalists. Their whole thing is that they're all about letting people know about important things that are going on. It shouldn't have been possible to dupe them all en mass; their job is to prevent people from getting duped. People who work in film or TV or music can't shut up about their industries, you'd think these journalists would have an irresistible urge to spill the beans on the shadowy takeover, even if there's some paper saying they're not allowed.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah they could have at least donated it to an actual women's health clinic. Failing that, the could have bought a fleet of the cheapest vans Craigslist has to offer, given them a quick paint job and created counter-propaganda buses to park outside the fake "pregnancy choices" buildings.

So you're saying that outside of an abortion clinic they should go out there and confuse everyone involved even more?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

From what I've heard, that sort of contract lock in may be kinda common throughout the entertainment industry. It's certainly depicted as such in a lot of media, and there are famous examples of people having to weasel out of corporate contracts like Prince's ludicrous name change. It's not surprising that a big shady corporation devised the most "gently caress you" contract possible and even though it seems flagrantly illegal it still traps people because most humans can't stand up to corporate overlords in expensive civil courts.

What's surprising is how quietly it all happened. These are journalists. Their whole thing is that they're all about letting people know about important things that are going on. It shouldn't have been possible to dupe them all en mass; their job is to prevent people from getting duped. People who work in film or TV or music can't shut up about their industries, you'd think these journalists would have an irresistible urge to spill the beans on the shadowy takeover, even if there's some paper saying they're not allowed.

The problem is that they're LOCAL journalists. I can't remember if it was linked here or somewhere else but in an article about the Sinclair thing, some of the journalists mentioned that there is basically no communication or coordination between local tv stations. They have no idea what's going on at other Sinclair stations and that makes it very easy for Sinclair to give the impression that anyone who resists will be completely on their own and swiftly punished.

Of course since this has gotten so much national attention, many of those journalists are now learning that their counterparts at other stations hate it just as much as they do so Sinclair may not have that advantage for much longer.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

Most of what Johnny Blockchain does is old news if you're paying attention to how hosed up america is, but this one especially so. If I had to guess, they had this one in the can for when they wanted to take a really light week.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

IRQ posted:

Most of what Johnny Blockchain does is old news if you're paying attention to how hosed up america is, but this one especially so. If I had to guess, they had this one in the can for when they wanted to take a really light week.

The show is basically 'Lets attempt to bypass the bystander effect.' A lot of the things it addresses are things that 'everybody knows' but 'I'm sure somebody else is taking care of,' or at best, 'I didn't realize it was that bad/had that much of an impact.'

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I appreciate the dedication to keeping the thread title updated by the way.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Dumb Lowtax posted:

The best part in my opinion was actually the "Coming up on The Doctors" because a proper "And Now This" is one that leaves your face fully contorted in horror when it's done

I usually skip through those segments because my vision of hell is listening to daytime news banter. The Doctors was entertaining.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TheCenturion posted:

The show is basically 'Lets attempt to bypass the bystander effect.' A lot of the things it addresses are things that 'everybody knows' but 'I'm sure somebody else is taking care of,' or at best, 'I didn't realize it was that bad/had that much of an impact.'

Yeah, Oliver's thing is kind of "I know you skimmed past this in an article and vaguely know what its about but lets sit down and really talk about it because it deserves to be really understood why its so bad."

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I have a feeling the van will pop up again soon, hopefully as a mobile planned parenthood clinic.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
new thread title is funny, but i have a hard time believing they will ever top "Last Cuck Tonight With Johnny Trigger-Warning"

I hope they prove me wrong

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Damo posted:

new thread title is funny, but i have a hard time believing they will ever top "Last Cuck Tonight With Johnny Trigger-Warning"

I hope they prove me wrong

I was thinking the same thing.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
This thread would actually be annoying to find for someone who wants to find it and doesn't remember this particular joke.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Zesty posted:

This thread would actually be annoying to find for someone who wants to find it and doesn't remember this particular joke.

Bookmarks, yo

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Baronash posted:

Bookmarks, yo

Right, I'm talking about new people to the thread.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Zesty posted:

Right, I'm talking about new people to the thread.

gently caress em

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
If they stop changing the show name, the thread title can stop changing with it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I saw this thread in my bookmarks and I had no idea what it was, but I'm behind on the show itself so that's probably on me.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

LegionAreI posted:

It reminds me very strongly of k-pop artist contracts in South Korea, honestly. Those can be just as predatory with the artist having to take on a debt to their promotion company to cover their training (often when they are still kids) and then having to pay it back, and retaining that often crippling debt if they decide to quit or try to leave their company. If they aren't popular enough or their company is shady enough paying this back becomes a huge problem. Comes with a fat slice of blacklisting if the promotion company is powerful enough too.

Never thought I'd see something like that outside of Korea though, even there people are starting to successfully fight those types of contracts.

Where do you think the Korean music industry got their inspiration for these kinds of deals from?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm imagining being a new reader and thinking Man I wish I could find a last week tonight thread on something awful but those goons only ever want to talk about this Johnny O character....

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've had trouble finding threads because of these kinds of jokes before. And funnily I lost the thread in my bookmarks with the last name change. It was there I just didn't recognize it for awhile.

I still think the name is funny, but it would definitely be more convenient for some viewers if there was some stable indicator like "LWT: Johnny O's Fish Facts, Wildlife Wonders, and Abortion".

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
There may be problems fitting it all into 80 characters or whatever the limit is.

What would be good is if mods could edit a thread title to a longer length. Maybe when the new forums software drops in 21XX

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I guess we'll just have to be witty in the meantime.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I just love how giddy Oliver gets when he's about to reveal how he wasted a whole bunch of HBO's money on random poo poo. :allears:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

"Baked potato I supposedly farted in" must have been the laziest prop gag in the history of the show.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Considering how much money they incinerated this week on worthless movie memorabilia, I wouldn't be shocked if they made an office in-joke out of trying to come up with the laziest, cheapest prop the could imagine.

On that note, it's a drat shame the Alaska segment didn't make it onto the official youtube. Nobody should miss out on it.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Apr 16, 2018

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Here's the Vice clip they used for the Alaska segment. It's kind of adorable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWYGjQxcxXU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fuckin called it:

Alhazred posted:

Invalid Validation posted:

I have much more confidence in Oliver that the money is actually going to charity regardless of what the daughter says buying the leather thong that Russel Crowe used in the Cinderella Man movie.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

And worth every penny. I bet his book gave more to charity than the bigoted rabbit one did.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

The part that gets me the most is that Russell Crowe thought worth taking the back of Denzel Washington's seat (like, not even the whole thing, just the back of it) from some random-rear end movie for no reason in particular :v:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

He's keeping the part that Denzel's butt touched for himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I wonder if Oliver got in a bidding war over the leather thong or if his first bid was 7000 dollar.

• Locked thread