Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

Fuzz posted:

I have an amazing Evasion Window 5 Hammer set that is the poo poo for all your hamming needs. Evasion Window is super handy with hammers since you can easily just roll through bullshit and keep slamming FACE.

Yeah, evasion window 5 hammer is one of my favs. It's also the only set i use earplugs 5 with. Very fun to be attacking constantly with smash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I pretty much never take off my Kushala/Bazel mix at this point. Evasion+Earplugs is a match made in heaven. I hope this game gets Barioth or Nargacuga (I'm amazed Narga isn't here tbh), and definitely Seregios.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

And Tyler Too! posted:

Evasion+Earplugs is a match made in heaven

With evasion it's super duper easy to roll through roars though!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

How do you get that last point into evade window? My gem drops are very stingy. Almost all elemental resists.

e: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I somehow got one and didn't know it. It's right here.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Your Computer posted:

With evasion it's super duper easy to roll through roars though!

Yeah, but I like to use the roar as an opportunity for some free GS charges or Hammer Golfswings so I doubled up.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
So the part I like about this game is that it's so boring as to not be distracting so I've been listening to a lot of Podcasts while I play but i'm going to be playing this for a bit so does anyone have some good listening recommendations?
I'm not throwing shade by the way, it's fun and all but it is a mindless kind of game and there's nothing wrong with that.

Also do you unlock a costume slot later or am I stuck with the same mishmash of armor?

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

InsertPotPun posted:

So the part I like about this game is that it's so boring as to not be distracting so I've been listening to a lot of Podcasts while I play but i'm going to be playing this for a bit so does anyone have some good listening recommendations?
I'm not throwing shade by the way, it's fun and all but it is a mindless kind of game and there's nothing wrong with that.

Also do you unlock a costume slot later or am I stuck with the same mishmash of armor?

no costume slots yet, sadly. There's the samurai armor but that's about it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I’ve seen this exact guild card dozens of times.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

InsertPotPun posted:

If you have a double monitor it's great for binge-watching. I'm all caught up on a handful of shows now thanks to Monster Hunter.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I fought like eight diaboloses today. After six, as soon as I got enough majestic horns suddenly each one dropped two. gently caress. Miserable.

Okay I got this diablos hammer. It's level 7, I can augment it. Health per hit or cut down on that sad affinity or add a gem to it?

(does a hammer hit too slowly to bother with life leech?)

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 17, 2018

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I’ve seen this exact guild card dozens of times.

There are dozens of us! Dozens!

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Krinkle posted:

I fought like eight diaboloses today. After six, as soon as I got enough majestic horns suddenly each one dropped two. gently caress. Miserable.

Okay I got this diablos hammer. It's level 7, I can augment it. Health per hit or cut down on that sad affinity or add a gem to it?

(does a hammer hit too slowly to bother with life leech?)

Both health and affinity are solid choices. I'd go affinity first as the large negative affinity on that hammer is bad.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Beat the game at 105 hours. Still lots of stuff to collect and I only used long sword for the entire game. Felt a little weird that the final mission was to kill a newborn example of a previously unknown and probably extreme rare species. They really should put quotes around the word "study". Still, good game and I'll continue playing it at least until Dad of War comes out.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I'm looking to get into some Gunlance funtimes.
Sell me on your starter wide builds (I have access to everything except arena challenge stuff, because that poo poo sucks). Bezel GL is the one I crafted to start with.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Both health and affinity are solid choices. I'd go affinity first as the large negative affinity on that hammer is bad.

What is the difference between the diabolos hammer, and the deviljho hammer? Same damage, but the ice damage is hidden, deviljho has no slots, and worse negative affinity.

(Do +non affiliated damage gems work if you don't unlock the hidden ice or whatever? What is even a single weapon that DOESN"T at least have a hidden element? Gems seem kind of completely useless?)

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Krinkle posted:

What is the difference between the diabolos hammer, and the deviljho hammer? Same damage, but the ice damage is hidden, deviljho has no slots, and worse negative affinity.

(Do +non affiliated damage gems work if you don't unlock the hidden ice or whatever? What is even a single weapon that DOESN"T at least have a hidden element? Gems seem kind of completely useless?)

Non-elemental boost works on hidden element weapons so long as they element stays hidden. Therefore the Diablos hammer gets a 10% raw damage boost over the Deviljho hammer.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

That's weird. When I threaten to attach ice up gems the ice number on weapons goes higher, but the unaffiliated gem didn't make the raw number budge, just hovering over it, I mean.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Krinkle posted:

Diablos is better in every way except for one: sharpness. Diablos takes Handicraft +4 to even get to white sharpness and even at +5 it only has 20 hits worth. Deviljho gets 10 hits per level of white, capping at 50. So it's a much lower investment to get the minimum amount of white and preserve it with Protective Polish or you get a much bigger payoff for going all the way to Handicraft +5. Kind of up to you which weapon you want to invest in.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 17, 2018

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Correct, you have to actually socket Elementless to see the difference for some reason.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Actual MH endgame revealed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opoWQBtWm-Q

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

InsertPotPun posted:

I listen to only the heaviest metal.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Magus42 posted:

Correct, you have to actually socket Elementless to see the difference for some reason.

Actually, is 1196 the maximum damage a weapon can have? Because not even adding an attack+ gem is moving it. Nothing I do can make this number on this hammer go up.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

Actually, is 1196 the maximum damage a weapon can have? Because not even adding an attack+ gem is moving it. Nothing I do can make this number on this hammer go up.

Are you looking at the status screen? It should show you the old value and what it changes to for whatever decoration you're slotting in. There is no upper limit on damage as far as I know.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Lynx Winters posted:

I thought weapons just have the one unsheathe attack with direction + triangle. I know that's what it is for charge blade, anyway.

Yeah, you're right - along with the R2 axe opener. I'd picked up a bad habit right from the start, see below.

AttackBacon posted:

CB doesn't have a Triangle+Circle unsheathe attack. It has Triangle for the running slash and R2 for the overhead axe slam. No weapon in the game has an unsheathe command that requires Circle actually (probably for the very reason you are encountering).

Good summary, I was confused right from the start of my CB play. I just tested and it's clear why: CB has the lunging Forward Slash on L+T if the weapon is sheathed (a good opener) and the same lunging Forward Slash attack on T+O if the weapon is unsheathed (a good distance closer). I had conflated those into L+T+O as my mental Forward Slash attack whether sheathed or unsheathed.

Turns out if you do L+T+O when the O pickup prompt would be active because you're sheathed, you do a pickup as it has priority over the L+T input. Tested this in the training room.

AttackBacon posted:

You can track monsters via their name in the bottom left of the map, that's a much easier/more consistent way of doing it. Pick-up prioritization is annoying I'd agree, although I understand why they made the choice. I'd personally prefer if materials were simply always prioritized, since they go away once you pick them up, whereas slinger ammo replaces whatever you have currently equipped, which can lead to super annoying drop-&-pickup chains when you are trying to get a material and covering it with slinger ammo over and over.

Good point. I never used the monster names on the map, still have to switch. Agree on the materials priority. Trying to do Bandit Mantle pickups when there's a pod in the middle is particularly bad. All that Gold untouchable until you somehow ferry that one pod away.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Adding attack to high base dmg weapons is way less useful right? Like, it's obviously still a helpful thing but I'm not misunderstanding some formula right? I'm assuming adding +30 attack to a s&s is better than wyvern ignition.

Edit: why does this thread have such a trash rating? Seems helpful.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Adding attack to high base dmg weapons is way less useful right? Like, it's obviously still a helpful thing but I'm not misunderstanding some formula right? I'm assuming adding +30 attack to a s&s is better than wyvern ignition.

Edit: why does this thread have such a trash rating? Seems helpful.

+Attack has exactly the same effect across weapon types, proportionately - it's exactly as useful on a greatsword as it is on s&s. High raw, low sharpness/affinity weapons will benefit more from affinity than more raw, but across weapon types there's no difference.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I burnt out post-HR100 on my CB save and started a new save with the Lance, and got up to early HR with it. First, if you find starting new weapons in post-game a bit boring since there's no progression I highly recommend starting over. It's been fun and quick going through, other than Zorah who is of course neither quick nor fun.

Second, the Lance is amazing. So much fun countering and keeping up the attacks right in the monster's face. I'm not fluent with the hops and guard dashes yet, so LR Kirin was a frustrating fight due to my bad control over where I was hopping to - not an opponent that was particularly troublesome with a CB and rolls. But everything else has melted to the Lance. It might take longer than CB sometimes because of my lack of fluency with the movement, but it's just so satisfying to deny all those attacks.

I wish I'd tried this earlier because it's also such a great weapon to learn monster attacks with. If you're rolling you can be more reactive I think, but countering requires more prediction.

I'll switch back to my base save with all the decos once I get to tempered monsters with the Lance, but playing through LR is a fun way to learn a new weapon. Will probably do HBG next.

AttackBacon posted:

Actually I just checked and here's how unsheathing works: Every single weapon in the game has two unsheathe commands: Triangle and R2. Every single weapon has a unique effect for Triangle and a unique effect for R2 (even bowguns: Triangle unsheathes into a reload and R2 just unsheathes, no reload). No weapon uses any other command for an unsheathe action, those two are it (so for instance, CB can't draw into a guard, any input with R2 while sheathed will always be an axe slam). The closest is the R2 + Circle instant Power Charge with the Hammer, which seems to more of an input buffer mechanic rather than an actual command (doesn't show up in the top right, same effect can be achieved with mashing Circle after hitting R2).

Useful to know. I assume O is a passive unsheathe for all weapons while L+O does an unsheathe + attack.

Astroniomix posted:

Azure rath helm B
Rath chest B
Toaster arms B
Odog waist B
Death stench legs B
Handicraft charm

Is my go-to for weapons that play nice with affinity, it's got WE 3, Handicraft 5, and enough gem slots to slot in critical eye 7 and critical boost 3, giving you a base of 80% affinity before taking the weapon into account. I'll probably drop one of the critical boost gems for a protective polish if I ever get one since white sharpens is worth more than 5% more critical hit damage.

At the very least that set is usually my starting point when making a new set and I just swap out pieces based on what I'm going for while trying to maintain as many of the "high value" skills that I can (generally handicraft and weakness exploit, in that order.)

Nice, saved this. Useful base build as you say.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 17, 2018

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
What are some other Greatswords worth checking out? I've just been using the Ignition but I'm a little bored of looking at it. Of the Dragon weapons I didn't really like the look of the Deviljho one, and wanted to try out Vaal- but the fucker refuses to drop enough Fangs. I decided if I was going to be farming Vaal it might make it easier on myself to use a weakness on top of hitting him on the head, so I crafted the Rathalos Glinsword and some Rathalos armor for Critical Element.

Is Raw just out and out the best for Greatswords? I've read status weapons aren't good because the GS doesn't hit enough times to reliably set them off, but I'm wondering if Elemental GSs are worthwhile.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Cinnamon Bear posted:

What are some other Greatswords worth checking out? I've just been using the Ignition but I'm a little bored of looking at it. Of the Dragon weapons I didn't really like the look of the Deviljho one, and wanted to try out Vaal- but the fucker refuses to drop enough Fangs. I decided if I was going to be farming Vaal it might make it easier on myself to use a weakness on top of hitting him on the head, so I crafted the Rathalos Glinsword and some Rathalos armor for Critical Element.

Is Raw just out and out the best for Greatswords? I've read status weapons aren't good because the GS doesn't hit enough times to reliably set them off, but I'm wondering if Elemental GSs are worthwhile.

Raw is king for greatswords pretty much.

The Jagras Hacker is worth checking out. Good raw, NEB compatible, 3 Augments, and most importantly, 2 lv. 3 slots. The slots makes it really versatile build-wise, which is why I still use it over the current hotness, the Wyvern Ignition.

Here's the build I use:

Jagras Hacker (NEB, Earplug Jewel, 2 Attack, 1 Affinity Augments)
Dragonking Eyepatch(Exploiter Jewel)
Damascus Chest Beta (3 Sheath Jewels)
Bazel Arms Alpha
Damascus Waist Beta
Bazel Legs Alpha
Earplug Charm III

This gives you Focus 3, Crit Draw 3, Quick Sheathe 3, Weakness Exploit 3, NEB, and Earplugs 3. Plus, a smattering of lv1 slots for whatever you want.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Answering your questions in reverse order, a good rule of thumb is that the "slower" a weapon type is, the better Raw is on that weapon type. I put slower in quotation marks because obviously that depends on a variety of things but the basic gist of it is that raw (aka physical) damage scales with the strength of a given attack (typically called the "motion value" in MH parlance). Whereas elemental damage does not, it's almost always a flat value (some exceptions apply but let's not get that granular, the general rule holds true). So weapons like Hammer and Greatsword tend to be more raw focused, whereas Sword and Shield or Dual Blades will do better with elemental damage. Status functions similarly to elemental, in that it is a flat value, although it only has a chance to apply per each attack. So again, faster weapons tend to be better at applying it.

Given the above, the raw-focused Greatswords tend to win out. The tier list is roughly Wyvern Ignition "Impact" > Anguish > Jagras Hacker III ~= Leviathan's Fury > Great Wyvern Jawblade > Chrome Razor II ~= Purgation's Atrocity. That is all assuming full augmentation and access to a Non-Elemental Boost decoration however. Without that, Anguish, Leviathan's Fury, and Purgation's Atrocity all move up in ranks.

That list is a good place to start, but don't be afraid to go further afield if you want to try something different. A lesser known fact about GS is that GS charge attacks are some of the few attacks that actually apply a damage modifier to elemental damage. It doesn't make up the difference, but it closes the gap quite a bit and you can do some really solid damage with the correct element for the monster you are fighting. I personally have a Xeno Maliq build that I run with Elemental Crit and it does just fine on anything weak to Dragon.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Quite fond of this guild card, personally:

Daddy...... I did it :smug: worst crowns were probably the elders. I got Teostra early on by pure chance, and Vaal Hazak by way of running a billion tempered investigations for farming purposes. The other two that count (Kirin and Nergigante) took absolutely forever; around 150 hunts each for both crowns. A little bummed you get absolutely nothing for your guild card at 100%.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Does anyone know what the post-Xeno music in Astera is called? It's different to the normal Astera music and I can't find it on the soundtrack at all.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

Does anyone know what the post-Xeno music in Astera is called? It's different to the normal Astera music and I can't find it on the soundtrack at all.

The music at the moment is the spring festival music. Is that what you mean?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

lemonadesweetheart posted:

The music at the moment is the spring festival music. Is that what you mean?

Might be, I thought that was limited to the gathering hub and I only noticed it after I beat Xeno for the first time. Maybe I'm just dumb :v:

Edit: found it, looks like it was a Spring festival theme
https://youtu.be/lZSf18GFbEA

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 17, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
https://youtu.be/-T-KgMRsUec

Any of you Japan goons have this quest and would be willing to host a room at some point in the next week for myself and 2 other goons to get the stuff? Universal Studios wasn't really honeymoon material, so I didn't go when I was in Japan 2 weeks ago. (Also I don't have a Japanese copy of the game)

Six AM posted:

Yeah, evasion window 5 hammer is one of my favs. It's also the only set i use earplugs 5 with. Very fun to be attacking constantly with smash.

Mine is Handicraft 4 and Evasion 5 to get that sliver of white on the Diablos hammer and then abuse the Sharp gem. I generally will just roll through the roars whenever possible, but I couldn't figure out any way to cram all of those skills onto one build. Mine has WE 3, Evade Window 5, Handicraft 4, NEB, Attack 4, and then either Evade Extender 2, Partbreaker 2, Slugger 2, or, if the map and monster are just right, Aerial and Affinity Sliding.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 17, 2018

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the Greatsword advice. I have another question I'm having trouble finding the answer to, and thats about rewards on mixed-tier investigations. I got a 5 box tempered investigation for T. Diablos + T. Barroth, but I'm wondering if its just weighted towards the lesser tier since after running it a few times I've only seen Rarity 4 decorations drop.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Renoistic posted:

Beat the game at 105 hours. Still lots of stuff to collect and I only used long sword for the entire game. Felt a little weird that the final mission was to kill a newborn example of a previously unknown and probably extreme rare species. They really should put quotes around the word "study". Still, good game and I'll continue playing it at least until Dad of War comes out.

When people say “beating” this game what exactly does that mean? I’ve been looking at this for a little bit and I’m just still super confused about a lot of it.

Also when do you guys think this will go on sale?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I assume they mean beating the story aka beating Xeno.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
You can set your own goals, although I guess you could count finishing all the assigned story quests as beating it but thats not very thorough at all.

I keep thinking that I'll put it down and then I get dragged back because trying out a new weapon is so much fun it breathes life into all the fights all over again. Maybe I'll finally put it down once I finish a great sword build I like and find that elusive little fluffball for a trophy. Although I just learned today there is a special guild card background if you catch every single possible endemic lifeform. And its super cute and now I'm tempted to just keep exploring to find critters I've missed.

Theres a real chance I run off and start learning Hunting Horn though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Thanks for the Greatsword advice. I have another question I'm having trouble finding the answer to, and thats about rewards on mixed-tier investigations. I got a 5 box tempered investigation for T. Diablos + T. Barroth, but I'm wondering if its just weighted towards the lesser tier since after running it a few times I've only seen Rarity 4 decorations drop.

Rewards are always weighted to the lowest HR thing you're hunting, so it's never worth it to hunt mixed tier stuff.