Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

It's me, I'm the broke-brained idiot that finished leveling his jobs so he could finish all of the Eureka weapons.

:shepicide:

I'm doing the same, but with the HW relics because they are easier to work on than the Eureka ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

TheHeadSage posted:

I'm doing the same, but with the HW relics because they are easier to work on than the Eureka ones.

Same, I'd rather go through that grind than touch eureka.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

At least after you get your first anemos it's like 30 min per to get the rest of them. That's something I guess

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

It's me, I'm the broke-brained idiot that finished leveling his jobs so he could finish all of the Eureka weapons.

:shepicide:

I still need to.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Bolow posted:

Yeah I won't argue that. But that's the crux of all content. No one is going to do it if there's no incentive. Eureka post SB will exist solely as a glamour thing and nothing more. Skalla post SB will exist in a barely run roulette that no one bothers to do unless they desperately need xp for a job.

Yeah but you can just slap a tome bonus to incentivize dungeons. I'd also argue they absolutely need to give a token to everyone for each roulette they run that they can trade in for dungeon loot so you don't need to run Skalla for the xth time for the casting chest because it's never ever going to drop.

It's ridiculous there isn't a rotating weekly roulette for a few dungeons every week a tome bonus just to throw in some variety. It'd be great if they could give level appropriate loot but I'd settle for tokens to trade in for glamour purposes. Hell, make it worth a decent chunk of exp so if it's not level 70 dungeons you can level up your dudes that way quickly.

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.

Cythereal posted:

Hullbreaker Isle normal is probably my favorite dungeon in FF14.

Verranicus posted:

You have good taste!

everyone needs to take a moment to really soak this in

just sit with it for a bit, take in all the details

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

TheHeadSage posted:

Only nice thing about the HW relics is that you can do like 80% of the work just gradually capping poetics and knocking out a relic every 2-3 months.

Running A1S 65 loving times is still miserable as poo poo though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Oneavi posted:

Hullbreaker is good. You fight a kraken.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

homeless snail posted:

Hullbreaker is good. You fight a kraken.

I also like the music and general atmosphere of the place. No apocalyptic threat, no ancient evils, no lives at stake, just a treasure hunt on a deserted tropical island.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Verranicus posted:

Maybe it's a data center thing, but I never have to wait overly long for my 50/60 roulette to pop as a DPS. Longer than leveling or raid, certainly, but nothing extreme.

Also, most of my favourite dungeons are from the ARR patches, and I'd be surprised if I was alone. Love me some WP HM.

50/60 roulette sucks. The bonus for it is basically nothing and the XP you get from the dungeon itself is bad. There is no reason to run 50/60 roulette over Leveling/Alliance raid/MSQ roulettes. Hell, it's better to spam whatever your highest level dungeon is over the 50/60 roulette.

The 50/60 roulette is literally only good if you're grinding some currency at level 70. And even then, it only gives poetics/creation, which everyone already has more of than they could ever need.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Argas posted:

Yeah but you can just slap a tome bonus to incentivize dungeons. I'd also argue they absolutely need to give a token to everyone for each roulette they run that they can trade in for dungeon loot so you don't need to run Skalla for the xth time for the casting chest because it's never ever going to drop.

It's ridiculous there isn't a rotating weekly roulette for a few dungeons every week a tome bonus just to throw in some variety. It'd be great if they could give level appropriate loot but I'd settle for tokens to trade in for glamour purposes. Hell, make it worth a decent chunk of exp so if it's not level 70 dungeons you can level up your dudes that way quickly.

They've already added "tokens" to buy gear you want from Wondrous Tales. They should do the same for the Duty Roulettes. Each time you run a roulette, you get a token. You can get as many tokens as you want per day. It costs 10 tokens to buy any piece of gear from any dungeon.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Mordiceius posted:

They've already added "tokens" to buy gear you want from Wondrous Tales. They should do the same for the Duty Roulettes. Each time you run a roulette, you get a token. You can get as many tokens as you want per day. It costs 10 tokens to buy any piece of gear from any dungeon.

That'd be nice, I want the Skalla healing/casting sets, but not enough that I'm willing to grind that dungeon thousands of times in each role.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's too bad WT rewards are too random.

But yeah, a simple dungeon token system for gear would be nice. But knowing SE and the XIV team they'd probably make it stupidly complex and have each tier of dungeons have their own token.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Mordiceius posted:

50/60 roulette sucks. The bonus for it is basically nothing and the XP you get from the dungeon itself is bad. There is no reason to run 50/60 roulette over Leveling/Alliance raid/MSQ roulettes. Hell, it's better to spam whatever your highest level dungeon is over the 50/60 roulette.

The 50/60 roulette is literally only good if you're grinding some currency at level 70. And even then, it only gives poetics/creation, which everyone already has more of than they could ever need.

If you only play the game to do things the absolute most efficient way possible, sure. Not everyone plays that way. 50/60 may not have the reward of leveling, but it varies things up and is fun.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Verranicus posted:

If you only play the game to do things the absolute most efficient way possible, sure. Not everyone plays that way. 50/60 may not have the reward of leveling, but it varies things up and is fun.

Granted, it's nice to vary things up, but I feel like 50/60 roulette wastes my time even more than Eureka.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm new to 70 and still hungry for creation tomestones so I run 50/60 roulette every day to get a bunch of them.

Oneavi posted:

Relax, my subscription expires next week because I find FF14's endgame to not be much fun.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Halatali Hard Mode is my favorite dungeon. More party vs party fights in this game, please.

The Lost City of Amdapor is probably the one with my favorite music track though.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Surprised to see hullbreaker getting so much praise because both of the kraken fights are close to the shittiest dungeon boss fights in the game.

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by
should I just make a party finder if I want to do the first stages of Alexander? I've not been able to queue in at all the last few days.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Failboattootoot posted:

Surprised to see hullbreaker getting so much praise because both of the kraken fights are close to the shittiest dungeon boss fights in the game.

The sastasha one is way worse.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

turns out your pet keeps attacking the monsters you calmed down, gdi blue carbi stop mauling my dodos and let me finish this levequest

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

pupuru posted:

should I just make a party finder if I want to do the first stages of Alexander? I've not been able to queue in at all the last few days.

Party Finder should work a lot better, yeah. Also, if you've not run them by this weekend, I'd be happy to run some Alex with you (or anyone else.) Alex is great.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

OgretailFood posted:

turns out your pet keeps attacking the monsters you calmed down, gdi blue carbi stop mauling my dodos and let me finish this levequest

It's acting in your interest by desperately trying to stop you from doing combat leves.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
"The Guardian is a boss in Final Fantasy VI. It is the most powerful Magitek creation, created to defend the Imperial Palace in Vector. When encountered the first three times it is indestructible, and the player must flee or have their party killed."

I'm glad O7S is accurate to the source material.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Verranicus posted:

This is true, but the Kraken fight is easily the worst part of hullbreaker.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Verranicus posted:

The sastasha one doesn't have the boss target go gently caress off for 30 seconds being untargetable 3 times to go grab a player, so by that fact alone it's better.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

pupuru posted:

Or ask goons. Failing all the above, we're getting a normal raid roulette, which should help people in your position going forward.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

As mentioned above, all the level 50 Monk sets (Except AF, obviously) are fair game since they share slots with SAM.

Personally I wore the Demon Striking set over Ironworks for a pretty long time

Hawksliege from PVP is legit and super cheap too.

The three coil sets are also pretty fantastic, but you might need help to get all the High Allagan or Dreadwyrm pieces.

Being level 50 is no excuse to not look fantastic. :colbert:

None of the old monk PvP sets allow sam to wear them. I was legit upset that the hawkliege stuff I got specifically for a sam glam right before SB hit was a no-go.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

"The Guardian is a boss in Final Fantasy VI. It is the most powerful Magitek creation, created to defend the Imperial Palace in Vector. When encountered the first three times it is indestructible, and the player must flee or have their party killed."

Could be worse, clown Kefka could have come out with three more Guardians that trash anybody who tries to stand too far away from him.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 17, 2018

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I like Hullbreaker Hard because the guys refer to me by my rank, it's got the same cool aesthetic, and there's a sick pirate fight instead of a lovely kraken fight. Seriously, that kraken is one of the worst bosses in FFXIV.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Guardian is bastard and I hate his whole family. I just wanna see the clown.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The kraken fight was better when it was new, and I have to imagine probably better at min ilvl but I haven't done that in awhile, because yeah now you kick its rear end so hard that you push the phases in and it disappears for forever. The debuffs and tornadoes were moderately threatening back then, too. That actually goes hand in hand with the desire for some kind of system to make old dungeons relevant again though because it just makes me sad to see how little of things matter in 50/60 dungeons anymore, its like going to a theme park you used to love and now everything's all filthy and broken down.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

That's what min ilvl is for. I don't think you're gonna get much traction making that a roulette type thing though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
They should just make exdr queue you for every dungeon in the game, but it's at min ilevel and always rewards the 90 tones.

Suddenly, tons of different endgame dungeons for endgame gear

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

They should just make exdr queue you for every dungeon in the game, but it's at min ilevel and always rewards the 90 tones.

Suddenly, tons of different endgame dungeons for endgame gear

No one can possibly like Totorak and piss vale THAT much :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Sorry I meant all 50+ dungeons that aren't in lldr but forgot to fix my post.

Basically, lldr gets ran tons because it gives fucktons of xp, the others not so much, so they need to be fixed somehow. I'd put them in a min ilevel roulette, and you get two things out of that: a modicum of challenge (some bosses are pretty fun at minlv, but at max ilevel sync even lldr dungeons are harder) for the people queuing, and the newbies get to see them like they're supposed to work, not just run after the people breaking all the mechanics.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I wouldn't make it minimum ilevel except as maybe a challenge mode but you could have it be like "the min ilevel +15 is the cap," or something. That would be enough to get at least some of the flavor without either extensive retuning or making it take aeons and lead to wipes if you get Eric Summoner, the level 43 ARC

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
This is a good idea for bosses, possibly, but a large part of such a dungeon would be painfully slowly killing way too many trash mobs. This game doesn't need even slower/longer dungeons.

E: FF14 devs rarely revisit stuff if it's not currently important content or tied to some new system (or an expansion patch) so I don't quite see them retuning anything - you'd get dungeons with the minimum item level option turned on and that's it. The boss is now challenging again but the rest is an utter slog and you don't even need the level 43 ARC, it's enough if you get Joe "don't make me DPS you jerks" Healer or Jane "it's good this game doesn't have DPS meters or I'd realize I do about a third of what I should be doing" Deeps.

orcane fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 17, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah min+15 sounds about right for ARR dungeons. Maybe +25 for HW/SB ones, since the ilevel spread is much wider there. Should also allow for chain pulling trash, so it doesn't take longer than now.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I dunno, Symond in Pharos Sirius regularly wipes groups even at max ilevel. You'd never ever finish a run that's synced down to item appropriate.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, because it's the only fight where ignoring mechanics does enough damage to matter at max ilevel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

HenryEx posted:

I dunno, Symond in Pharos Sirius regularly wipes groups even at max ilevel. You'd never ever finish a run that's synced down to item appropriate.

It’s easier at appropriate ilevel because adds spawn based on his hp so you never get overwhelmed unless you ignore adds.