Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
why is link shirtless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

why is link shirtless?

:thunk:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/ThisIsTake10/status/981752158281347073

Zarlog
Dec 7, 2005

Zarlog, Protector of Baal
Hinox confirmed for Smash

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Hinox is OP, please nerf.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Just beat Calamity Ganon after many many hours of amazing exploring in this game. I Waited until I had all 120 shrines before tackling Ganon, and already I want to beat this game from start to finish again.

Thinking of starting fresh on Master Mode for the additional challenge with the new DLC content (which I haven’t touched yet) as an additional wrinkle. Any reason why this would be a bad idea? Or should I do some of the post game DLC now before I start over?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cervixalot posted:

Just beat Calamity Ganon after many many hours of amazing exploring in this game. I Waited until I had all 120 shrines before tackling Ganon, and already I want to beat this game from start to finish again.

Thinking of starting fresh on Master Mode for the additional challenge with the new DLC content (which I haven’t touched yet) as an additional wrinkle. Any reason why this would be a bad idea? Or should I do some of the post game DLC now before I start over?

Considering that you need to do the four Divine Beasts before accessing the Champion's Ballad, I'd do it now to avoid the risk of burn-out. The Master Sword Trials can be done whenever, but supposedly they become tediously hellish in Master mode. I haven't tried Master Mode, because longer and more difficult combat, because the numbers get bigger and regenerate, not because AI got smarter, just sounds like a slog to me. It sounds like it'd detract from the very exploration which is this games strong point. So I would restart just not in Master mode.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Yeah I gave up on Master Mode specifically because the regenerating health made fights a slog. Even getting end game equipment early didn't help the tediousness.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

GotY again.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Just how difficult is the Trial of the sword?

Some reviews i've read online paint it as this insanely difficult thing. It's the last side quest i need to do before finally beating Ganon but might skip it if it's going to be super frustrating.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I did it on my first try, albeit being super careful, going very slowly, and bombing and cooking every single tree for food.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Kin posted:

Some reviews i've read online paint it as this insanely difficult thing. It's the last side quest i need to do before finally beating Ganon but might skip it if it's going to be super frustrating.

First set of rooms is actually the hardest; one in particular. After that they’re a lot easier, especially if you keep your sensor tuned to chests.

Ed: if you enjoyed Eventide you’ll probably enjoy this too.

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 7, 2018

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Kin posted:

one room in the first set is full of lizalfos and water. if you can blitz that you'll be fine

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

The Middle Trials are extremely difficult with 4 hearts. I eventually gave up. :( Maybe 7 will do the trick.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

MokBa posted:

The Middle Trials are extremely difficult with 4 hearts. I eventually gave up. :( Maybe 7 will do the trick.

Just eat some fried durian beforehand. You keep yellow hearts.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Just eat some fried durian beforehand. You keep yellow hearts.

Oh I know. I'm just Bad At Video Games™ and lose my yellow hearts at some point. And then with only red hearts, everything can one shot me so food becomes effectively useless.

Also, I blew myself up with a bomb arrow in one of those dark floors. Ouch.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I was thinking I might be ready to start a new game on the same difficulty, but then I realized that would mean deleting my old save, and I wasn't sure I wanted to do that. So I loaded up the old save and wandered around and I found a whole entire minigame that I had never found before, and I thought I had been pretty good about exploring thoroughly. (It was the gliding minigame on Eventide Island.)

I'm never gonna get around to that replay, am I?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bongo Bill posted:

I was thinking I might be ready to start a new game on the same difficulty, but then I realized that would mean deleting my old save, and I wasn't sure I wanted to do that. So I loaded up the old save and wandered around and I found a whole entire minigame that I had never found before, and I thought I had been pretty good about exploring thoroughly. (It was the gliding minigame on Eventide Island.)

I'm never gonna get around to that replay, am I?

Just use a different profile

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Just use a different profile

Yeah, but once more than one profile exists it asks you every single time on every single game which one to use, and that's annoying.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah, but once more than one profile exists it asks you every single time on every single game which one to use, and that's annoying.

Fair enough. I have five set up so one more wouldn't hurt me

It would mean my playtime counter would be inaccurate, though :boehner:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lol gently caress

https://twitter.com/mrordun/status/985206010565410816?s=21

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HOLY gently caress LMAO

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

The Bloop posted:

HOLY gently caress LMAO

You all should look at shrine speedruns. The strats for some of the shrines get really crazy sometimes. Although for a full 120-shrine speedrun, it takes upwards of 7 hours on a good day. Also no one really runs it much in favor of shorter "All Main Quest" runs.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

andipossess posted:

You all should look at shrine speedruns. The strats for some of the shrines get really crazy sometimes. Although for a full 120-shrine speedrun, it takes upwards of 7 hours on a good day. Also no one really runs it much in favor of shorter "All Main Quest" runs.

I like trick highlights like that but can't really find the patience to watch hours of people playing anything.

That's time I could be playing something!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Considering that you need to do the four Divine Beasts before accessing the Champion's Ballad, I'd do it now to avoid the risk of burn-out. The Master Sword Trials can be done whenever, but supposedly they become tediously hellish in Master mode. I haven't tried Master Mode, because longer and more difficult combat, because the numbers get bigger and regenerate, not because AI got smarter, just sounds like a slog to me. It sounds like it'd detract from the very exploration which is this games strong point. So I would restart just not in Master mode.

It seems like if you wanna make the game harder on a replay you'd be better off just willfully handicapping yourself - stuff like not upgrading armor - than you would playing in Master Mode. If you decide something is too hard or you hate how it feels, you can just gradually unhandicap yourself, rather than being stuck with a save file you can't finish.

I mean, if it doesn't affect the AI or puzzles...

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

The Bloop posted:

I like trick highlights like that but can't really find the patience to watch hours of people playing anything.

Then you're in luck, because each shrine with a submitted record has an entry with video over here. Also the records for divine beasts are all sub 5 minutes :psyduck:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

The Bloop posted:

My Switch got bricked from the 3rd-party dock thing a couple weeks ago, so I've been without one (till Wednesday, hopefully). Watching this one dude (Lolous or something) do an all-shrines run was a great way to scratch the BotW itch and learn some things too.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://youtu.be/oBKTeVGiZIk

Ocarina of Time easter egg in BotW.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

https://youtu.be/oBKTeVGiZIk

Ocarina of Time easter egg in BotW.

The original post was from Reddit, here:

Okay, so I just finished the Trial of the Sword and immediately noticed the 7 monks are representing the 7 Sages.

Here's the image he posted:

I know the video mentions it, but it's all-over a worse format for sharing that information and I hate that entire cottage industry of circular social media clickbait.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That is very cool

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Oh poo poo, that's a very nice touch.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I know the video mentions it, but it's all-over a worse format for sharing that information and I hate that entire cottage industry of circular social media clickbait.

No worries.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Sorry, I wrote that last night while tired. Wasn't directing any negativity towards you.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Does anyone have that BOTW music video link handy that walks through the different Tarrey Town themes and explains how each layer represents the culture just added?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Nephzinho posted:

Does anyone have that BOTW music video link handy that walks through the different Tarrey Town themes and explains how each layer represents the culture just added?

This?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FWVKu1gnWs&t=480s

Spellman
May 31, 2011

BotW's soundtrack is sophisticated; memorable as the themes in older Zelda games are, it kind of feels like you and everyone else in your household is in an annoying carnival, as you walk into the Lost Woods and hear Saria's Song playing over and over again

The musical restraint in BotW is pleasant and shows a real evolution in how a Zelda game's soundtrack can enhance your immersion

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

alf_pogs posted:

one room in the first set is full of lizalfos and water. if you can blitz that you'll be fine

What if i got by that room but it was pretty touch and go?

Edit: I finished the beginner trials but for some reason they kinda killed my momentum with finishing the game.

I think it's because it's okish in terms of fun but the medium and hard trials are even longer than the first one.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kin posted:

What if i got by that room but it was pretty touch and go?

It's generally regarded as the hardest room. As long as you have your slate set to detect chests and you aren't completely careless, you should be fine

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Why does everything in the game have hundreds and thousands of hp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Reality Loser posted:

Why does everything in the game have hundreds and thousands of hp.

Are you playing master mode? The vast majority of enemies don’t suffer from overly inflated amounts of HP. Sure lynels and bosses have a bunch but... they should? Guardians die in three hits.