Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Harrow posted:

Hot take: I'd rather watch a movie all about Donald Glover's Lando than a Han Solo prequel no matter who is playing Han

If nothing else, Lando's a way less-explored character than Han (at least in the movies--I'm sure there are like a dozen Lando books in the Legends stuff), but it helps that Glover's probably going to be a lot of fun as the character too.

A Lando television series... there's plenty of meat on that bone. You got a stew going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

tadashi posted:

A Solo backstory was a movie Lucas was planning to make all along (it was material that he told the EU writers they weren't allowed to touch because he wanted it for himself). I think those of us who want to see more Star Wars movies can be thankful that better directors were given the opportunity to make it, whatever the final result is.

Lucas actually sat down with Lucasfilm publishing director Carol Titelman in 1977 and gave a bunch of notes on character backstories for the various authors to use when writing stories.

His vision for Han probably changed through the years (at one point he was going to appear as an orphan on Kashyyyk in Episode 3), but this may have been somewhat close to what he was going to do:

George Lucas posted:

Han is around thirty years old. His parents might have been killed in a space battle with Han as the only survivor. There’s no real record about where the space gypsies found him. They run through the galaxy picking up all sorts of odds and ends. They may have won him in a game. They may have cheated someone out of him and thought they would sell him. He was kind of like a slave. Although the gypsies loved him in their own way, they were also mean to him. They used him for their own ends and he was very unhappy. They would send him out on dangerous missions and they would make him beg in the streets and that sort of thing. They abandoned him to the Wookiees when he was about seven years old; he lived with them for about five years.

“From the time Han was twelve to the time he was fifteen, he was in the Space Academy. That’s where he learned to be a starpilot and he was very, very good—only he was such a hustler that he got caught selling exam answers to the class. He also tried to race one of the professors in a spaceship and crashed it in the process. He didn’t beat the professor, but he was booted out. Then he went around and did a lot of things, finally coming back to the Wookiees and meeting Chewbacca.

“Then he went to the planet of Coonee, where he used to herd large animals called coldppedas, which have fifteen feet. They look something like a giraffe, about twenty-three feet tall, only with scales and a lizard head. Some of them are known to get as high as forty feet. They have huge hooves, which are round and soft. Their meat has an aphrodisiac quality, so they ship it all around the universe. He did that for three years.

“Han then worked as a mechanic in a factory that built spaceships on a planet called Saberhing. He was on an assembly line. He fell into smuggling when he was about twenty. Smuggling was really the result of the Empire, which has such stringent rules about tariffs, and the trade companies, which are so strong, so monopolistic. Most legitimate operators were squeezed out of the business. So Han could be described as a smuggler, but in reality he’s a free-enterprise small businessman who is trading between systems without benefit of a proper license from the trade unions.

“He smuggled everything under the sun.He smuggled spice along with everything else: various foodstuffs and precious gems and mechanical parts—whatever happened to be available. He would take material from one planet to another planet, and so on, taking his profit out along the way. Han outwitted the Empire on numerous occasions and he’s made some very fast deals. One of the problems is that he gambles quite heavily and loses most of his money. He’s tough and sharp, only he somehow never manages to scrape together enough money to get any power. As a matter of fact, I think he enjoys this: He’s slightly self-destructive and enjoys being on the brink of disaster. So he’s constantly putting everything he’s got into some high-risk venture, and sometimes he wins and sometimes he loses. You might meet him and he may be worth ten billion credits one day and the next time you meet him, he’s in debt up to his ears.

“The Empire actually destroyed one of hisships, a bigger ship, not as fast as the Millennium Falcon . They blasted him and he had to drop a whole shipment in order to keep from getting caught. The Empire is really the Big Brother who watches over him and causes him trouble. He doesn’t really think of it as a political thing so much as somebody who is getting in his way, although he frequently works with, and for, bounty hunters, gangsters, Rebels, and the Empire if the price is right.

“He has a girlfriend in every port.”

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The first paragraph is basically Rey.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Schwarzwald posted:

The first paragraph is basically Rey.

Misread "first" as "final" and thought, "Sure, Rey could have a girlfriend in every port when we pick up at the start of Ep. IX." :v:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

coldppedas

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

George Lucas posted:

“He has a girlfriend in every port.” 

Unlike R2 where every port is his girlfriend.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Lord Hydronium posted:

There's also the Brian Daley novels set before ANH, among the first EU books ever. They're good and recommended. And being early EU, they're not concerned with continuity at all, just telling fun little adventures, for people who balk at that aspect of the EU (I like Crispin's trilogy too, but it's big on tying together all the previous material about Han's history, so YMMV).
I had one of those (Star's End, I think) and the main things I remember about it was that there seemed to have been a pre-word-processor find & replace done to change 'TIE' to 'IRD' (or whatever it was) as they missed a few and the ships Han was fighting would change name in the middle of a battle, and I learned years later that the character called Zollux in the UK edition was Bollux in the States. (Which would have been like a Brit innocently calling a character Borlsac and having to change it to Zorlsac for the US.)

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Unlike R2 where every port is his girlfriend.

nice

Robot style, do you have more of those Lucas worldbuilding paragraphs on hand?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Doronin posted:

A Lando television series... there's plenty of meat on that bone. You got a stew going.

Is this a Carl Weathers reference?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ingmar terdman posted:

nice

Robot style, do you have more of those Lucas worldbuilding paragraphs on hand?

They're from the Making of Star Wars book by J.W. Rinzler - I put together an album of the relevant part here.

At least one entry was edited by Lucas during the making of the book to include a reference to midichlorians, so some of it it may have had at least a "sure, whatever" level of approval as of 2007.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If my math is correct, and it usually isn't, Han completed the Kessel Run in 18 trillion Star Wars half marathons.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Robot Style posted:

They're from the Making of Star Wars book by J.W. Rinzler - I put together an album of the relevant part here.

At least one entry was edited by Lucas during the making of the book to include a reference to midichlorians, so some of it it may have had at least a "sure, whatever" level of approval as of 2007.

Thanks, these rule

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
A Leia movie would probably be more interesting than a Han movie.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

PostNouveau posted:

A Leia movie would probably be more interesting than a Han movie.

Certainly there’s much more relevant commentary to be made from the daughter of the privileged liberal elite turning into a violent revolutionary.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

Especially since Rogue One already was kind of a heist movie.

What is it about John Boyega that provokes terrible likenesses?

Hes black and white people overemphasize black features when doing art because photography is set up for white people.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Zoran posted:

Certainly there’s much more relevant commentary to be made from the daughter of the privileged liberal elite turning into a violent revolutionary.

Wasn't she totally hands off until her capture due to needing to be undercover since she's a high ranking politician?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

MrJacobs posted:

Wasn't she totally hands off until her capture due to needing to be undercover since she's a high ranking politician?

Teenage Leia was dealing with rebels behind the Empire’s back while doing her political duties. I think she was directly involved in helping them steal those Hammerhead cruisers used in Rogue One.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Darko posted:

Hes black and white people overemphasize black features when doing art because photography is set up for white people.

Uh all these examples deemphasize his characteristics. Try again troll

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Ammanas posted:

Unless we're talking about the 300 USD (and more) Hot Toys Deluxe versions the action figures' faces rarely look anything like the actor. Google Luke or Anakin and you get some reeeeally odd interpretations:

You get what you pay for. And if you pay for the Hot Toys Finn I don't think there's reason to complain:

So blame lovely, cheap moulds and underpaid engravers/designers, not a racist camera setup.

Decius fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 17, 2018

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ammanas posted:

No, they just overemphasize various aspects of the features and not others. We aren't talking about Mr Popo style lips and color stuff, it's just that people are very not used to representing black people in art and get them far more wrong than almost any other race because of it. And a lot of that is based around how imagery is set up in the first place. it's a random art factoid I felt like adding last night.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Decius posted:

You get what you pay for. And if you pay for the Hot Toys Finn I don't think there's reason to complain:

So blame lovely, cheap moulds and underpaid engravers/designers, not a racist camera setup.

thats one hot toy

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dat hot toy looks like Finn/Boyega to me?

There's some bad sculpts but that doesn't strike me as one of them.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

AndyElusive posted:

Dat hot toy looks like Finn/Boyega to me?

There's some bad sculpts but that doesn't strike me as one of them.

He's saying that's a good/accurate one because it's expensive/not cheap. Hence "nothing to complain about".

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I was a kid in the 90s so my Luke figure was He-man with a lightsaber and some sort of grappling gun, and Lando had insane abs

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ingmar terdman posted:

I was a kid in the 90s so my Luke figure was He-man with a lightsaber and some sort of grappling gun, and Lando had insane abs

True to the Marvel comics, I suppose:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Rambo Luke!

I love the original comics, they were insanely derivative, as all good Star Wars is. Terminator vs Darth Vader!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ingmar terdman posted:

No abs on the new one unfortunately. Nice cape and scarf, though.

The new Tarkin one looks kinda like Peter Cushing. I think it's the new face printing technology they use.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Why is that Interrogation droid spilling all that clear fluid on the floor?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

AndyElusive posted:

its a mini UFO and it's abducting ants

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

It vomits everyday thinking about the monstrous work it does.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s silver. He needs it to fight Dracula.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
How come the empire never tried to wipe out the hutt crime syndicate

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Uncle Wemus posted:

Based on what I saw in The Clone Wars and The Last Jedi, the Hutts and others like them might actually own many of the resources the Empire needs to built their war machines and support their troops.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
How come the empire never ended Droid slavery?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Enslaved by space slugs

Still no arrests?

How come, Paul Saltines?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Uncle Wemus posted:

Could be that like many authoritarian regimes who don't care about the common man they let organized crime continue so long as they get a cut. They might even use them as a way to keep the masses in-line, like how the real life mafia was often used as union-busters. Then again they might be actually making a move. We know between RotS and ANH the Empire annexed Tatooine. Unfortunately from what the characters say this has made things even worse. Especially the cut Biggs scene where he tells Luke about how the Empire has annexed all the outer rim territories like Tatooine so they can steal everyones land and give it to big corporations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought the deleted scene had Biggs saying the Empire had nationalised all the big companies.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There also may be a case that the hutts are just flat out too powerful. I mean, in the modern age, where heading towards a point where criminal entities have comparable power to a state, like the various Mexican cartels or the Red Commando in Brazil, or other places where they're intertwined, like the Jamaican gangs. It may just be that actually dislodging the Hutts from what seems to be an entire sector may just be more effort than it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

The MSJ posted:

Based on what I saw in The Clone Wars and The Last Jedi, the Hutts and others like them might actually own many of the resources the Empire needs to built their war machines and support their troops.
This makes the most sense; the Hutts are just Daimler-Benz and Siemens.