Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

MrDesaude posted:

Dear God will this semester ever end?!

There's a little under a month left, and my professors have lost all track of what they are doing.
They cannot use "It's in the syllabus" because they collectively ditched the syllabus 3 weeks ago.

And Ohio in its infinite dickishness still refuses to give us sunlight...
Buut I got my GI Bill and grant refunds, so there's that.
I am far too sober for this poo poo.

Yeah, I'm incredibly burned out. Thank god this it's my last full semester and over in about 30 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Joining the burned out club. Last quarter was very rough. Having a much lighter workload this quarter. Only 8 more weeks to go before closing out the first year.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

holocaust bloopers posted:

Joining the burned out club. Last quarter was very rough. Having a much lighter workload this quarter. Only 8 more weeks to go before closing out the first year.

Same here. 32 days and I'm gone.

Hopefully to Augsburg

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Only five more quarters after this current one for me! :suicide:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I’m going into my senior year, unless I can find a way to double major.

The new editor-in-chief said they want to talk shop about me being the school newspaper photo editor.

I’m not burned out yet but will be at the end of the month when my 20 page academic paper is due.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Ended last quarter with 3 A-s, 2 B+'s and an RP.

A week into this quarter and I'm burned out even though I took one less class (I'm just going to sit in on an undergraduate lab Thursdays instead) and have around 6 undergrads to boss around for my independent study project (our first meeting did not go well as I am not on the same page as my advisor and partner on different aspects. There is a 100% need for them to align with me but luckily the undergrad EE that knows what she is doing is with me).

Rugby is almost over thankfully, the school made the playoffs and the men's club didn't so most of my time commitments are fixed. Need to get my taxes done somehow and come up with a project for a printed circuit board.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
nth-ing the burnout crew.

I withdrew from my Multivariable Calc class because I was headed for at best a D. Somewhere after highschool my brain became inellastic at learning math, and because of it i'm doing mediocre in my Control Systems Analysis class, which is all S-domain math but closer to complex algebra than calc so i'm pulling through it. I've got a Microcontroller Programming class which is a misnamed 'low level C programming class' where the instructor and TA have done no actual teaching all semester, as the class consists of 6 hours of lab time where your goal is to make the arduino do increasingly ~thing~. Wouldn't be bad if the instructor actually taught, but in their opinion the class being open book, open data sheet, google all you want makes it too easy already.

On the flip side I'm getting an A in Circuits Analysis with no effort, and helping the TA and other students out a lot, since its a 3000 course that barely hits the level of detail of a 1970's babies first circuit project from popular science.

But I've kept sane by working on an actual project with other students. It was a relief to find people who like doing actual engineering and hands on building stuff.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Not quite burnt out, but wishing that my school offered an Economics for non-business/accounting majors course.

Getting by thanks to the rest of my courses being subject for non-major courses, and a great friend in my science class.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I'm a month from graduation and only starting feeling the burn about two weeks ago. Really bad timing with a thesis due.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Im coming up on the end of the second year of medical school and I've never felt so burned out in my life. There's a huge exam (USMLE Step 1) at the end of the summer and the generally accepted advice is you need about a month of straight 10-12h days to prepare. I have no idea how I'm going to maintain motivation.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Get some pilllzzz and do it like everyone else

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
This reminds me I need to get my 30mg adderall refills

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

TheQuietWilds posted:

Im coming up on the end of the second year of medical school and I've never felt so burned out in my life. There's a huge exam (USMLE Step 1) at the end of the summer and the generally accepted advice is you need about a month of straight 10-12h days to prepare. I have no idea how I'm going to maintain motivation.

If you don't go back to school you can't go back to campus and peep yoga butts.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Grem posted:

If you don't go back to school you can't go back to campus and peep yoga butts.

I peep yoga butts daily and sometimes get to touch them a+ would recommend college.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Passed the bar. Guess I’m gonna do some florida lawyering after all.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Go save Florida man from a life in prison

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I might apply for some PD stuff but probably avoiding criminal law for now.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I hear that bird law is very lucrative.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

what size glove do you wear?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Mr. Nice! posted:

Your path is now clear. You must run for political office in Florida!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Congratulations!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Sue the VA

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Can it be a class-action suit?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Mr. Nice! posted:

You should serve as Michael Cohen's attorney

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Trump is hiring. You could probably MAGA your way to at least meeting him.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
seriously you could probably call it research on confirmation bias and get a law phd or some poo poo.

Dr. Mr. Nice!

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Jesus, first lawyer job on his resume is Trump. Might be worse than writing "registered sex offender" at the top.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
:phoneb::phoneline::phone:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:phoneb::phoneline::nsa::phoneline::phone:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

gently caress!

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

M_Gargantua posted:

If you withdraw from a class do you have to refund the VA the money they paid the school? I'd like to withdraw from my multivariable calc class and retake it next semester rather than take the inevitable D or F.

yes, you do this if you fail anything too

I could have a distorted understanding of things though.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 17, 2018

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

You don't have to repay if you fail, necessarily, as long as you can prove that you were attending the entire time and made an effort to pass.

In my first year of using my GI Bill I had my life blow up fantastically and totally ignored an online class. Posted once at the end of the class in a "What did you learn" type question, failed, and didn't have to pay it back.

The other classes where I just stopped showing up 1/4 of the way through I had to pay, though.

Like all things VA related YMMV.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Holy poo poo I was approved for my private (gap) loan. My deployment was 178 days (I was backup rear det, someone got injured two months in) so I only got 40% coverage through the GI bill, so I was around $4k short for a nursing program. I took out a 12k loan solely to have coverage in case I do end up having to quit and need living expenses covered (class is 5 days a week, accelerated nursing program), and as a true emergency fund. All else fails I'll just roll it back into the loan. Doing the math, I'm going to be paying about $500 for the privilege of having an emergency backup fund for two years at my interest rate, but I think it's a good plan. If I do end up having to quit I'm around $300-400 short/month in living expenses after the BAH-style coverage ($640/month, rent is $750, internet 30, car insurance 50, food etc), though on the flip side if I do quit I'll be eligible for between $7-9k in Pell grants, versus the zero dollars I'm eligible for if I continue to work. It's all a balancing act.

Orientation is next week. I've said this before, but what the gently caress am I doing with my life? Goin' to school at 30 :whatup:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Orientation is next week. I've said this before, but what the gently caress am I doing with my life? Goin' to school at 30:whatup:

I’m older than you and going back this fall.

Why are you doing GI bill at 40% when you can easily get the 10% minimum disability needed for VR&E which will pay 100%?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I’m older than you and going back this fall.

Why are you doing GI bill at 40% when you can easily get the 10% minimum disability needed for VR&E which will pay 100%?

Won't do nursing. At least, not programs like this. For traditional nursing programs, they wouldn't do 100% but would help with books and other things.

I am getting around $17k in housing benefits at least.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

So what did you all with 10% do to get your voc rehab? The second after I stated I'm working towards a chemistry degree the counselor I saw more or less said "You're not dumb enough to qualify for voc rehab, get out unless you can get up to 20%."

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 17, 2018

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You report them for not doing their job.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

The Aardvark posted:

So what did you all with 10% do to get your voc rehab? The second after I stated I'm working towards a chemistry degree the counselor I saw more or less said "You're not dumb enough to qualify for voc rehab, get out unless you can get up to 20%."

It’s about job training and tell that counselor to suck a dick

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Man, I think I figured it out.

I’m gonna graduate (next May) and apply for a MFA program at another college. It’d be UCSD, and the more I think about it, me trying to stay and get a bachelors in visuals arts is dumb when I can get a masters and really study what I got to.

I also had a paradigm shift. I was dreading a paper I have to write but my professor gave me an enthymeme that helped navigate a cool topic (semiotics in photography). I realized I get to talk to her about the stuff I’m excited about, not that I’m assigned some thing. Well that, but it doesn’t feel like work.

Photography has really changed my life. Seriously. I just applied to be the photo editor of my school newspaper. I hope I get it. It pays some stuff but It’ll either be campus cash, or money going towards getting a YMCA membership for my family. We live really close to one and my kids see this amazing playground every day. Stupid loving thing is like 70 bucks a month. I’ll make that an annual thing pending each semester.

I really need to get another lens, but the two I see are around 500 bucks. So I’ve been applying for scholarships, sucks my GPa doesn’t qualify me for some but I still try if I feel I can explain it. Even then, hard to justify spending money on equipment. I just started a website but gently caress trying to dive into “DBA” stuff right now.

The new editor has a mom who did broadcast journalism as a career and a Dad who did print. He is a philosophy major with a passion for it. Also physics minor. It was like “huh?” Super excites to work for him if I get the part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Grad school is a bit better than undergrad if you're ready for it and take advantage of it. There should be more freedom to explore since you don't have to try and cram in a bunch of basic poo poo, plus it's further out on the limit of knowledge so sometimes there's not a correct or certain answer.