Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hope Metcalf pops in from time to time, she was sweet and very mom-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

I hope Metcalf pops in from time to time, she was sweet and very mom-ish.

According to imdb, she's only got one other appearance for Supergirl.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Man, this was a pretty strong return episode. Supergirl tends to have s sort of "formulaic" format to its episodes (just like a lot of other TV), but the strong writing and performances within that formula always tends to catch me by surprise every time.

Also James should just get with Winn

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrianWilly posted:

Also James should just get with Winn

TAKE YOUR SHIRT OFF

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Rhyno posted:

TAKE YOUR SHIRT OFF

the voice of the audience

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Apparently Metcalf did this because her daughter is a fan and wanted to meet Supergirl.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's some excellent parenting.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

This episode was pretty drat heavy for fighting a supervillian whose schtick is deadly toys.

Winn's domestic abuse drama (this was well-acted man Laurie Metcalf is good)
Jonn's Alzheimer's dad drama (man this was sad)
Mon-El's relationship drama and Kara's nopin on out of that conversation when she thought he was coming to commiserate about his lyin' wife with her (which good for her! That way lies CW Drama(tm) and Supergirl should probably not be the Other Woman)
Reign and Lena's secret illness drama

The also wacky karaoke seemed rather shoehorned in to force a bit of levity. Also I know Winn can do better with Take On Me c'mon son we've heard him sing. Hearing the others kind of butcher everything was classic though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Also Mon is gonna put on his red suit soon which is awesome and cool.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
So...did they just...forget...That James has a superhero costume?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

So...did they just...forget...That James has a superhero costume?

Hey he used his shield to whack robots!

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013
He literally hasn't suited up all season except for alternate James during Crisis on Earth-X.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Oracle posted:

Jonn's Alzheimer's dad drama (man this was sad)

Marzheimer's. :colbert:

But yeah, Carl Lumbly was awesome in what could have been a throwaway role.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Dracorion posted:

He literally hasn't suited up all season except for alternate James during Crisis on Earth-X.

Didn't he wear the suit in the episode where Lillian Luthor came back?

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Didn't he wear the suit in the episode where Lillian Luthor came back?

He did, fair enough. The whole Guardian thing still seems pointless this season though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dracorion posted:

He did, fair enough. The whole Guardian thing still seems pointless this season though.

The sad irony of Supergirl being set off in its own world is that Guardian would actually probably be a character who could work great on Arrow or Legends, while he's just out of place on Supergirl. I mean, Mehcad Brooks is charming as gently caress and gets nothing to work with on Supergirl. Send him over to the Fun Show and become one of the Time Idiots and give him a chance to properly shine like Keiynan Lonsdale did.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
The DEO really needs to get a door for that balcony.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Apparently Metcalf did this because her daughter is a fan and wanted to meet Supergirl.

I'm assuming this is a younger daughter than the one who plays Young Sheldon's mother?

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So, is that Karaoke Bar where they all go to drink and unwind now? That other place hasn't been used on the show in a while.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vietnamwees posted:

So, is that Karaoke Bar where they all go to drink and unwind now? That other place hasn't been used on the show in a while.

Same alley though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Norwegian Rudo posted:

I'm assuming this is a younger daughter than the one who plays Young Sheldon's mother?

Yes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Updated Kryptonian vulnerability list:
Kryptonite
Magic
Shrink wrap

Pretty solid episode

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Azhais posted:

Kryptonite
Magic
Shrink wrap

Pretty solid episode

Believable by anyone who's tried to open that clamshell packaging before. Those things are stronger than most of their contents and will not yield until they have tasted blood.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Azhais posted:

Kryptonite
Magic
Shrink wrap

Pretty solid episode

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thats exactly what i thought about.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Azhais posted:

Shrink wrap

Can fly in space/under water, cant hold breath?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Vietnamwees posted:

It was the same bar, wasn't it? The banners and stuff all said "Karaoke Night," like it was a new/irregular thing

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

fist4jesus posted:

Can fly in space/under water, cant hold breath?

They don't really seem to be doing that in this universe. Kara was in danger of drowning at one point iirc

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Bruceski posted:

Believable by anyone who's tried to open that clamshell packaging before. Those things are stronger than most of their contents and will not yield until they have tasted blood.

Hope the DEO impounded those things to contain the World Breakers.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K2LQJbtR6I

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Azhais posted:

Kryptonite
Magic
Shrink wrap

Pretty solid episode

It was very clearly lucite, which would have kept Kara in near mint condition, between 7 of 9 and Doctor Who.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
drat you Collector!

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Great character sections, poo poo "main" plot and other bits.

Bring the mom to secret base.
Let her wander about
She can walk into the armory and just take a weapon
Then walk out the front door with no one noticing.
Massive warehouse of a convicted criminal just sitting there full of stuff for years on end (enough stuff to make exploding drones, lifesize autonomous t-rexes, supergirl containing shrink wrap machines, armies of flying monkey robots etc)
Winn doesn't try to unscrew the front plate of the monkey
Increasingly non reasons for Mon el's crew not be around.
Jimmy not suiting up for some reason
Wyn just pulling the one of 5 levers to release the claw of doom that was the one that didn't crush his mom
and more.

I've not been impressed and dissapointed by the same episode of a TV show in years.

ShakeZula posted:

It was the same bar, wasn't it? The banners and stuff all said "Karaoke Night," like it was a new/irregular thing

It was the same bar, just that aliens don't go there any more just our cast apart from the cast who don't know the other cast are aliens.

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 20, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Maybe the aliens all just stopped going because too many alien-friendly humans keep showing up and doing stuff like Karaoke. See its all a meta commentary on straight women at gay bars.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

STAC Goat posted:

Maybe the aliens all just stopped going because too many alien-friendly humans keep showing up and doing stuff like Karaoke. See its all a meta commentary on straight women at gay bars.

Gentrification.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, that suggests more "pricing out" I'd think? But maybe the aliens are just all annoyed by humans who keep showing up so they can take selfies and tell their friends how progressive they are by dating an alien.

That reminds me, what ever happened to Winn's girlfriend anyway? Did she disappear between seasons or did I just forget her story end?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

She went wherever max lord and Lucy Lane are

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

howe_sam posted:

She went wherever max lord and Lucy Lane are

That farm upstate is pretty nice

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, that suggests more "pricing out" I'd think? But maybe the aliens are just all annoyed by humans who keep showing up so they can take selfies and tell their friends how progressive they are by dating an alien.

That reminds me, what ever happened to Winn's girlfriend anyway? Did she disappear between seasons or did I just forget her story end?

Man I thought this would be easy to answer so I looked at the Arrowverse wiki but half of the article on Winn is talking about how he had to get over Kara, which didn't seem like an issue in the show at all, and doesn't even mention Lyra.

Her page says she was last seen in season 2 when Winn told her she couldn't hang out with him and Guardian because she was too violent and she got really mad at him and stormed off. So apparently she was so mad she went back to her home planet because that was 20 episodes ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's weird, I could have sworn that got resolved at the end of the episode with her accepting that maybe she does need to chill out.

Maybe I just wrote the TV episode ending resolution in my head like the way they say you can fill in words like "the" when reading even if they aren't there because your mind just expects it.