Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

joat mon posted:

HE IS RISEN INDEED

BRB, buying lottery tickets.

I know you have a picture and everything but I'm still having a hard time believing you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
:magical:

What about metal shavings?:ohdear:

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
He actually took a poo poo down the plug hole after getting that out to teach the motor a lesson. Metal shavings should get collected in that.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
How in gently caress's name did you get the broken one out?

A few metal shavings won't hurt anything... Just gets blown out the exhaust into your catalytic converter :v:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

DiggityDoink posted:

I know you have a picture and everything but I'm still having a hard time believing you.

IPCRESS posted:

Buy a time machine, then go back and tell yourself not to.

EZ outs, in my admittedly limited experience, are for bolts that aren't stuck but which have lost their heads for some other reason. For stuff that's sheared and stuck, I'd recommend a shitload of heat and a counter-rotating drill bit. That doesn't help you now.

EDM is the fastest and easiest way to get it out. Further down the list is getting a punch and shattering it, then picking out the pieces with clay/plasticine on the end of a wire. Wear eye protection; not messing you about here, you need to be wearing impact rated eyewear (not snow goggles, spectacles, painter's glasses).
Did some heat/quench cycles with an oxy-acetylene torch. With an ez-out, a regular bit acts like a counter-rotating bit. Dulled one carbide Dremel bit by about 3/16 inch in, started in with another one and soon the broken tip of the ez-out popped out.
A few more heat/quench cycles later, a better quality ez-out pulled the remains of the plug right out.

Faster Blaster posted:

:magical:

What about metal shavings?:ohdear:
The piston happened to be near TDC, and the gas pressure in the torch was blowing incandescent bits of drilling residue out of the hole rather than in.
Once I got the remains of the plug out, I rotated the piston down a bit to make some space, sprayed in some WD-40 and snaked a hose in and vacuumed around. Didn't see any metal residue in the hose. Stuck an endoscope into the piston and couldn't see any shavings.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yer a wizard, 'arry joat mon.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Joatse

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

joat mon posted:

Did some heat/quench cycles with an oxy-acetylene torch. With an ez-out, a regular bit acts like a counter-rotating bit. Dulled one carbide Dremel bit by about 3/16 inch in, started in with another one and soon the broken tip of the ez-out popped out.
A few more heat/quench cycles later, a better quality ez-out pulled the remains of the plug right out.

The piston happened to be near TDC, and the gas pressure in the torch was blowing incandescent bits of drilling residue out of the hole rather than in.
Once I got the remains of the plug out, I rotated the piston down a bit to make some space, sprayed in some WD-40 and snaked a hose in and vacuumed around. Didn't see any metal residue in the hose. Stuck an endoscope into the piston and couldn't see any shavings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXN1yxax448

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

There's a certain point in a project where you honestly don't give a poo poo because after 20 hours of loving around and it destroying every muscle in your body along with constant thoughts of "maybe I can try this..." once succeeded you stand back in pride that you accomplished the goal.

This one was drat impressive.

And never underestimate the use of a dremel in these situations.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

YOU GUYS I FOUND A SLOW MO, TOWARDS THE END

https://youtu.be/ad2Q4_HV4Ls

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

TotalLossBrain posted:

that whole video :stare:

It's amazing he recovered from the very first deviation that was almost 90 degree off axis. The beefy rear tire deflected to the rim. That frame flex....

No doubt. I'm incredibly impressed by his reaction times.

joat mon posted:

HE IS RISEN INDEED

Nice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

More of an engineering failure than a mechanical failure, but either way someone did some bad math.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyOVZ3MaAaI

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

More of an engineering failure than a mechanical failure, but either way someone did some bad math.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyOVZ3MaAaI

I love that YouTube is now letting you know who runs certain channels. That one:
Press TV is funded in whole or in part by the Iranian government

:lol:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

I love that YouTube is now letting you know who runs certain channels. That one:
Press TV is funded in whole or in part by the Iranian government

:lol:

I don't see that on mine. I can't wait to get that feature, I want to see who really pulls the strings on the TinyKittens pregnant cat stream.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

YOU GUYS I FOUND A SLOW MO, TOWARDS THE END

https://youtu.be/ad2Q4_HV4Ls

The sound the big one makes (2:02) has me giggling like an idiot.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

glyph posted:

KaZooooooo!

Also:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

glyph posted:

Love the slo-mo action of the head slowly lifting off just before the pistons shoot out, followed by the rest of the engine just letting go.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Domestic Amuse posted:

Love the slo-mo action of the head slowly lifting off just before the pistons shoot out, followed by the rest of the engine just letting go.

Floating heads, floating heads, floating all the way....

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

joat mon posted:

HE IS RISEN INDEED

*light clapping turns into roaring applause*

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWKvH7X0pk8&t=27s

Okay, not massively spectacular, but I thought the detailed analysis was worth an eyebrow-raising watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HIiOFHbCPA&t=361s

spog fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 15, 2018

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWKvH7X0pk8&t=27s

Okay, not massively spectacular, but I thought the detailed analysis was worth an eyebrow-raising watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HIiOFHbCPA&t=361s
I saw that when he first uploaded it. I was impressed by the quantity of fuel that filled the intake system.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm slightly surprised that he, of all people, would forget that a carb will squirt / leak fuel any time it has pressure.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm slightly surprised that he, of all people, would forget that a carb will squirt / leak fuel any time it has pressure.

Didn’t sound like he forgot, the pressure was set way too high. And old mechanical pump will move massive amounts of fuel if the needle in the bowl is bad or gums up with trash... the main reason I decided to take on my fuel injection project.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just another reason to actually check when you have something that has two settings and the manual claims it is set up in a certain way. Not really automotive related, but I bought an e-SATA card so I could hook up an external harddrive and I thought it didn't work at all. Turned out it came from the factory with the jumpers set to using the internal SATA ports, not the external e-SATA ports.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Standard operating procedure: if I ain't laid eyes on it, it ain't set right.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's just mixing old with new/customizing something type of thing. Old carby cars, especially n/a ones I owned) didn't have a pressure regulator and even if an electric pump the fuel pump was low pressure.
Even back in the day when I added a holley blue the regulator was on the supply line to limit the pressure on the needle and seat IIRC. Add forced induction then you are mixing well known old carby stuff with EFI fuel pumps and regulators so you need to work extra poo poo out as you're making a hybrid.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
My brother's best friend's old ('60s, first-gen) Ford Bronco has a similar problem with the spraying fuel out and catching fire. It's not the carb, he's tried two and rebuilt both twice (and I rebuilt the second carb myself before my brother donated it to the project, so I know it was good). The (new, the one the parts store said was correct for the engine) mechanical fuel pump must be making too much pressure, right? That's what I and my brother think, but buddy says it can't be possible. Do fuel pumps that hang off the side of the block driven by the cam come in FI-pressure versions?

Edit: should I be good and convince him he's wrong/give him y'alls suggestions on what to do, or be evil and make a lowball offer to buy it off him and then fix it myself?

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 16, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

StormDrain posted:

Didn’t sound like he forgot, the pressure was set way too high. And old mechanical pump will move massive amounts of fuel if the needle in the bowl is bad or gums up with trash... the main reason I decided to take on my fuel injection project.

The issue isn't just the regulator, it's pressurizing the fuel system of a non-running engine with a carb. When he was leak testing, he flooded the engine out because he had the pump running and the engine not. A mechanical pump can't do anything with the engine off, and unless it's broken, fuel injection on a shut off engine will actually stay shut.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Had a CEL since I bought the car, and it smelled like gas, so I figured O2 sensor.

Well I was right and wrong :v:

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Chillbro Baggins posted:

My brother's best friend's old ('60s, first-gen) Ford Bronco has a similar problem with the spraying fuel out and catching fire. It's not the carb, he's tried two and rebuilt both twice (and I rebuilt the second carb myself before my brother donated it to the project, so I know it was good). The (new, the one the parts store said was correct for the engine) mechanical fuel pump must be making too much pressure, right? That's what I and my brother think, but buddy says it can't be possible. Do fuel pumps that hang off the side of the block driven by the cam come in FI-pressure versions?

Edit: should I be good and convince him he's wrong/give him y'alls suggestions on what to do, or be evil and make a lowball offer to buy it off him and then fix it myself?

I have limited experience with mechanical fuel pumps, but in the once instance where I had to replace one (Mercruiser engine - basically a straight-4 in a ski boat) I and my brother spent the better part of a day tearing our hair out over the fact that the newly-rebuilt carburetor kept flooding out within 30-45 seconds of engine start. Thought something had gone sideways with the rebuild, took it apart, couldn't find anything wrong.

Finally realized that the old pump gasket that we had scraped off of the side of the block was actually two gaskets held together with gasket sealer. Turns out that the "arm" of the pump was getting pushed too far by the rotation of the crankshaft (because of the lack of shims) and thus generating a lot more pressure than needed. We experimented and ended up with a stacked set of gaskets which held the fuel pump out from the block almost 1/4", which generated enough pressure to feed properly, but not enough to overwhelm the carb.

TLDR: try shimming out the fuel pump on the Bronco to reduce the the amount of pressure the pump generates.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

IOwnCalculus posted:

The issue isn't just the regulator, it's pressurizing the fuel system of a non-running engine with a carb. When he was leak testing, he flooded the engine out because he had the pump running and the engine not. A mechanical pump can't do anything with the engine off, and unless it's broken, fuel injection on a shut off engine will actually stay shut.

Still I think a needle valve at a low pressure would keep the fuel out, right? I’ve had gunk keep mine from closing and it floods the engine in a hurry with a mechanical pump while running.

I’m not sure what kind of pump or fuel system he was using but you can use an electric pump with a carb without flooding the engine with the key on and engine off.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Any auto parts store with a chrome garbage SBC 350 with 4.20e69 horsepower rack/aisle will have a $25-ish knob style regulator. Just use one of those, they usually max out at about 6psi.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

9psi if its a mr gasket one. :v:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

iwentdoodie posted:

Had a CEL since I bought the car, and it smelled like gas, so I figured O2 sensor.

Well I was right and wrong :v:

drat that might be the worst crack in a manifold I've seen.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
HMF, in a mine!

The WA 900, a 100+ton articulating loader, with a 13 cubic metre bucket.

They, um...they're supposed to have 4 wheels.

So it turns out, that when the manufacturer says "use this specific oil in the axles," and somebody else says "I guess, but this other stuff saves us $500 per oil change," then mechanical parts fail horribly.

These used to be brakes. Then they were smoke machines for a while, and now they're twisted pieces of metal. For reference, the whole stack should look like the bottom half.

Uh...none of it should look like this...Those should all be perfectly flat.

Those splines should go all the way down the housing.

And there definitely shouldn't be metal flakes this size in the axle oil.

This is a different brake that didn't machine away its splines, but all the gunk you can see is magnetic, and typical of what was inside every gear and bearing.

So complete front axle rebuild: new bearings, brakes, and differential. Plus hundreds of hours of labour. Nevermind the rear axle, which also had more metal in the oil than is strictly necessary, which they are electing to do nothing about at this time because it still works normally (we will be back in 6 months to do the same job when they run it to failure as well). The ultimate answer to the question of "Why are we paying this much for manufacturer oil when Chevron is so much cheaper?"

Did I mention they did this to two of their machines? And both failed at the same time, in the same way, (presumably) for the same reason? And they were the two main production loaders for this quarry?

Total cost, including downtime: idk probably over a million

All to save a few grand on maintenance.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
How do brakes like this work? Do they get pressed together like clutch discs?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://i.imgur.com/FMMoZdn.mp4

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Holy poo poo, that thing went off like an artillery shell :stonk:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

At least the dashcam driver had the correct response. Which was to back the gently caress away nice and slowly as to not startle the beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

EKDS5k posted:

All to save a few grand on maintenance.
Try and get them to do regular oil sampling and analysis? Might mean they catch it earlier next time, even if they won't put the right oil in.