Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Gum posted:

Anyway here's an actual good speech from today

https://twitter.com/DavidLammy/status/985956012451647489

so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I started noticing how cool and good David Lammy was with grenfell and I am glad he continues to be cool and good

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/986156244489719808

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
British politics seems a lot less undecorous, which is nice.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm pretty sure that's a recent development.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gum posted:

future pm

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Is that the man who says no no no no no no yes in vicar of dibley

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

gradenko_2000 posted:

British politics seems a lot less undecorous, which is nice.

psst

hey

c’mere

”decorum” is a code word for “liberalism”

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/DMReporter/status/986001818319753216

The Mail trying to get ahead of the story by throwing Rudd under the bus for one of May's policies is extremely my poo poo

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

multijoe posted:

https://twitter.com/DMReporter/status/986001818319753216

The Mail trying to get ahead of the story by throwing Rudd under the bus for one of May's policies is extremely my poo poo

I’m the europeam getaways offer

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
If Amber Rudd wants to really gently caress things up for something that is not really her fault, blame the Last Tory Government for this one.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

winston is nz's closest equivalent to farage, and was named after churchill lol

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
What are NZ right wing stands like? Maori genocide?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

pissflaps is just a smarmier fishmech and has single handedly turned this thread to poo poo so bye

into the kettle it goes

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

twoday posted:

What are NZ right wing stands like? Maori genocide?

he (and the majority of his parliamentary party) is māori; they're xenophobic (particularly against asians), anti-pc, etc.

we've also got tories, who are tories.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gum posted:

wow

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a recent development.

The Commons was (supposedly) designed originally to prevent the two sides from easily stabbing one another when debate got heated, dude.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The Commons was (supposedly) designed originally to prevent the two sides from easily stabbing one another when debate got heated, dude.

yeah but pre-corbyn we had a full on plotline from the Thick of It occuring except it was Harriet Harman(?) instead of Nicola Murray

The tories proposed a bill that was basically "kill all disableds/welfare scroungers but moreso"

So ofc the provisional labour leadership goes "well with heavy heart we have to support this bill in the name of :decorum: and bipartisanship"

then the tories back down from the bill cause its too toxic even for those inbred murderers and labour is the last party left holding the ball of poo poo

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It’s why there’s a mace on the table

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Total Meatlove posted:

It’s why there’s a mace on the table

There is a reason why the dude at the door is called the sergeant art arms

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/986484470587932673

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

multijoe posted:

"we will only tolerate immigrants being kicked out on purpose, this accidental xenophobia is shameful"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Yinlock posted:

"we will only tolerate immigrants being kicked out on purpose, this accidental xenophobia is shameful"

you cant be full on racist about jewish or black people without getting in deep poo poo, they have focussed all their bigotry on muslims who are mostly unprotected

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

nopantsjack posted:

you cant be full on racist about jewish or black people without getting in deep poo poo, they have focussed all their bigotry on muslims who are mostly unprotected

it's an interesting change from the usa where they all but shout the n-word at the barest hint of a black person doing anything at all

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Yinlock posted:

'accidental'

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Yinlock posted:

it's an interesting change from the usa where they all but shout the n-word at the barest hint of a black person doing anything at all

slavery was a large and essential part of america's short past, whereas for us it was just a moneymaking scam, our society wasn't built by and for slavery...well maybe fuedal serfdom counts

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

we still had a big vile empire built around race science and white supremacy tho

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

nopantsjack posted:

slavery was a large and essential part of america's short past, whereas for us it was just a moneymaking scam, our society wasn't built by and for slavery...well maybe fuedal serfdom counts

The big trick America did was convince everyone the amendment banned slavery when all they did was change the groups you could enslave

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

nopantsjack posted:

we still had a big vile empire built around race science and white supremacy tho
It was an empire built around class supremacy with frills of race science intended for poor idiot consumption to make the colonies self-police (although some rich people like Churchill and Rhodes drank / indeed stirred the kool aid). There was an indian and african nobility that was treated with more deference and respect by the political leaders of Britain than its own working class, although I would for sure agree the non-British poorest had it hardest.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/AllyFogg/status/986528249651126273

consistently absolute

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

jBrereton posted:

It was an empire built around class supremacy with frills of race science intended for poor idiot consumption to make the colonies self-police (although some rich people like Churchill and Rhodes drank / indeed stirred the kool aid). There was an indian and african nobility that was treated with more deference and respect by the political leaders of Britain than its own working class, although I would for sure agree the non-British poorest had it hardest.

Well yeah we treated certain groups with respect cause we'd organised them into a racial hierarchy, at home it was class abroad it was race

e: we still do this today, the gurkhas are a respected warrior race, arabs are flakey savages

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Why aren't these people in charge yet, ffs

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

no its just theresa may, with or without brexit the tories are loving terrible

with brexit they dont have to abide by the ECHR though

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
@westmonsteruk

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Sooo close but gently caress off regardless Galloway

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Byolante posted:

The big trick America did was convince everyone the amendment banned slavery when all they did was change the groups you could enslave

they didn't change it all that much, really

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Some serious Coup of King Michael erasure going on here among the many other problems with this tweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

nopantsjack posted:

Well yeah we treated certain groups with respect cause we'd organised them into a racial hierarchy, at home it was class abroad it was race
That's a bit of an oversimplification, for example the indian caste system the Empire maintained is very much a class-based system to this day.