Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

How the gently caress? That kinda snuck in outta nowhere.

We've kept clean sheets in 8 out of the last 11 games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

How the gently caress? That kinda snuck in outta nowhere.

Replacing 3 of their back 5 with better players made Liverpool better defensively? :monocle:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Andy Robertson owns, TAA owns, VVD owns, Karius is apparently good now, and Lovren seriously benefits from Van Dijk's leadership on the pitch

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Karius was basically always good, but you can't get steady performances out of a goalkeeper if you keep rotating the two you have.
The minute Klopp announced that Karius was the new #1 and he started playing him every game, his form improved massively.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised Mignolet stuck around as long as he did. He was always unreliable with seemingly little upside.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

MrBling posted:

Karius was basically always good, but you can't get steady performances out of a goalkeeper if you keep rotating the two you have.
The minute Klopp announced that Karius was the new #1 and he started playing him every game, his form improved massively.

I don't think this is the whole story. Karius was signed as the #1 and started regularly at the start of his first season, then had a few horror games in a row and got benched, and Mignolet came in with a point to prove and upped his game a lot. There was never really rotation in the league at least. It was Karius starting consistently, then Mignolet starting consistently, and now Karius starting consistently again.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Reminder that Danny Blind refused to play VVD during the WC qualifiers which resulted in Holland not qualifying. just a little historical fact from the international scene.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Also refused to play Janmaat

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Janmaat is kinda poo poo though

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/paddypower/status/985973316015083520?s=20

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
big virg is loving legit.

I still think he was too expensive but he is a seriously good player

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm surprised Mignolet stuck around as long as he did. He was always unreliable with seemingly little upside.

On his day Migs is a big shot stopper. It's the distribution and the aerial game that he has troubles with.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

bewbies posted:

CL bonuses so far are around 70M so far, and I know it's impossible to make a direct correlation between the Dijk and CL success, but my personal calculation says that the big dutch unit is extremely loving worth it.

Slotducks posted:

On his day Migs is a big shot stopper. It's the distribution and the aerial game that he has troubles with.

My main concern with Miñolay is that he makes a stupid face during reaction stops. Makes me think he's not up for it.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Migs was a great penalty saver but apart from that he was incredibly sketchy.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
who could have predicted that sunderland's crap goalkeeper would not be great for liverpool?

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
its also funny that sunderland is about to get relegated again

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
loving spurs eh?

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March

Bea Nanner posted:

its also funny that sunderland is about to get relegated again

Sunderland vs Accrington Stanley in the league next year

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

loving spurs eh?

Mehhh

Really hope they can locate an Aurier alternative this summer

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

shirts and skins posted:

Mehhh

Really hope they can locate an Aurier alternative this summer

Keiran Trippier?

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
dont kinkshame bro

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Germans, of all people, should know that.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
shame is one of their kinks. it makes for a vicious circle.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

bewbies posted:

I've no idea how Celtic managed to nab him for just £2 million when he was still relatively unknown, like it was obvious after about 2 games that he was comically above SPL level (see: this goalhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EphF42yoNyk )

He managed to make Jason Denayer look like a future world-class centre back for a whole season lol.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

PFA team of the year is out

De Gea, Walker, Otamendi, Vertonghen, Alonso, De Bruyne, Eriksen, Silva, Aguero, Kane, Salah

Seems pretty reasonable

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Imagine having a murderer in it instead of good Scottish lad Andy Robbo

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Burnley probably deserve to have a defender or two on there, considering their defense could end up getting them European football next season.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There have probably been better defenders than Walker and Otamendi

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Otamendi is shite tbf.

E: there were more bloody posts

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
No Young or Valencia at full back? For shame.

e: Burnley third best defence in the league? :monocle: Stoke's the worst by a good distance, Pulis era well and truly dead and buried.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
my only gripe is otamendi but that is based largely on watching him play poorly against liverpool.

I enjoyed this ADVANCED STATS quote from the BBC story: "Otamendi has made 2665 successful passes in the Premier League this season, at least 300 more than any other player."

also, when's the last time manu didn't have an outfield player in the team of the year?

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

bewbies posted:

my only gripe is otamendi but that is based largely on watching him play poorly against liverpool.

I enjoyed this ADVANCED STATS quote from the BBC story: "Otamendi has made 2665 successful passes in the Premier League this season, at least 300 more than any other player."

also, when's the last time manu didn't have an outfield player in the team of the year?

They didn't have an outfield player in last season either. Could probably have made arguments for Valencia/Young. Rose and Walker did look pretty strong last season though.

In other news, Premier League is making up a new award this season for the most assists. "Premier League Playmaker Award".

gtkor fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 18, 2018

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Xabi posted:

Otamendi is shite tbf.

E: there were more bloody posts

Otamendi is actually p good now, it's weird

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

gtkor posted:

In other news, Premier League is making up a new award this season for the most assists. "Premier League Playmaker Award".

Gotta give De Bruyne something when Salah chips him for POTY.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

otamendi was always good

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

gtkor posted:

Could probably have made arguments for Valencia/Young.

One of those two or Matic easily make a case (alongside De Gea of course) for being the second best defence in the league.

Sean Dyche for manager of the season :D I honestly had no idea their defence had been that ridiculous. 3rd best for a team put together with blu tack and masking tape for about four quid. Fantastic job.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

To say nothing of the fact that they may end up in Europe.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

gtkor posted:

To say nothing of the fact that they may end up in Europe.

It would be cool if they beat Arsenal on the second to last match day to knock Arsenal out of Europe next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Shrapnig posted:

It would be cool if they beat Arsenal on the second to last match day to knock Arsenal out of Europe next season.

I think Arsenal are still in Europe if they fall behind Burnley, but have one of those weird July qualification matches

• Locked thread