Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Thug Lessons posted:

Here is what the UN says. This is from their draft report on a 1.5C scenario.

This is what's actually happening. You're wrapped up in something you saw on the Arctic sea ice forums and it's distorting your brain. Listen to the UN.
2016 was a 0.1°C warmer than 2017; if 2017 is +1°C, then 2016 is at least +1.1°C. That's only slightly cooler than the eyeballing extrapolation in my post.

What is with your Arctic Sea Ice Forums obsession? You keep mentioning it, and I don't know what the gently caress you're talking about; I only ever look at sea ice charts melting charts/discussion there.

I didn't get that Nature Climate Change paper that you're just brushing aside from there, nor the other paper before it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This thread is more fun when it's the sadbrains venting place and not the assholes-in-denial venting place

Thug Lessons posted:

The 20th century average.

For all teh kids at home, the ones that care more about birds and Bernie than whatever this denialist pedant gently caress spews, this is a classic denialist shibboleth right here

call to action fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 16, 2018

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Useless libs like Thug Lessons are 100% more of a threat to our world than conservatives are because they wrap their hatred and ignorance in a cloak of science and wokeness. Like others have pointed out, it's the difference between the hate of an enemy soldier versus a traitor

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

call to action posted:

For all teh kids at home, the ones that care more about birds and Bernie than whatever this denialist pedant gently caress spews, this is a classic denialist shibboleth right here

Nope, it's a direct quote from NOAA, the source I used to get that number. Swing and a miss.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Every time I post Climate-related stuff on FB, I get this nonsense.

quote:

James Hansen: When someone can accurately tell me how many hurricanes hit the east coast of the U.S. In, let's say, 1801...or the fluctuations if the temps in Peru during the summers of 1766-1776, maybe I'll start to listen to the climate change crew. Until then, I'll pass. The scientific method demands that all data needs to be collected in order to reach a conclusion and this is impossible when it comes to climate.

Are these paid shills (note the name) or just stupid people?

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
He's right, he's just on the other side of the debate from deniers. That's the blind spot to Thug Lesson's ideology. That line of thinking has been grasped to by those in power in order to prevent any sort of major reforms.

90s Rememberer fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 16, 2018

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Thug Lessons posted:

Nope, it's a direct quote from NOAA, the source I used to get that number. Swing and a miss.

No, I'm not saying that the existence of a 20th century average makes you a denialist - it's the fact that you're citing it as a cudgel against data that measures against prehistoric averages that makes you a denier.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

call to action posted:

No, I'm not saying that the existence of a 20th century average makes you a denialist - it's the fact that you're citing it as a cudgel against data that measures against prehistoric averages that makes you a denier.

Okay dude. NOAA, the EPA, the IPCC, the UN and all the thousands of climate scientists who use the +1C number for 2016's warming are all liars and denialists. Keep eating out of that trashcan.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
God bless humanity:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/984635308393271296

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

call to action posted:

Useless libs like Thug Lessons are 100% more of a threat to our world than conservatives are because they wrap their hatred and ignorance in a cloak of science and wokeness. Like others have pointed out, it's the difference between the hate of an enemy soldier versus a traitor

I'm not even sure what "hatred and ignorance" is supposed to mean in this context, disagreeing with the extent (not need for action) of climate change using scientific estimates?

If anything it's evident a bunch of people in this thread are depressed misanthropes who aren't really interested in any examination or thesis that doesn't support the most dire predictions because it doesn't allow them to feel as much narcissistic superiority about their lifestyles as childless vegans or whatever. This is a realm beyond any useful evidence based analysis.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheNakedFantastic posted:

I'm not even sure what "hatred and ignorance" is supposed to mean in this context, disagreeing with the extent (not need for action) of climate change using scientific estimates?

If anything it's evident a bunch of people in this thread are depressed misanthropes who aren't really interested in any examination or thesis that doesn't support the most dire predictions because it doesn't allow them to feel as much narcissistic superiority about their lifestyles as childless vegans or whatever. This is a realm beyond any useful evidence based analysis.

lemme guess you're another person who "believes" in global warming but hasn't done poo poo to lift a finger about it

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Yours is a poor summary of their arguments. This is more accurate:

Realists: Here are the trends, the science, and how likely various responses will address the problem in time. Some possible routes would look like this:

Traitors: No none of those will work.

It's not disagreeing on extents, it's some posters showing what kind of actions could conceivably make a change, and then the trolls poo-pooing every idea out of an aversion to the ramifications on their personal lifestyles. They don't disagree on "extent" they disagree anything needs doing at all other than waiting for a moon-shot magic solution.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

poopinmymouth posted:

Yours is a poor summary of their arguments. This is more accurate:

Realists: Here are the trends, the science, and how likely various responses will address the problem in time. Some possible routes would look like this:

Traitors: No none of those will work.

It's not disagreeing on extents, it's some posters showing what kind of actions could conceivably make a change, and then the trolls poo-pooing every idea out of an aversion to the ramifications on their personal lifestyles. They don't disagree on "extent" they disagree anything needs doing at all other than waiting for a moon-shot magic solution.

I guess you're right dude, the infuriatingly ignorant people who think we've had nearly double the warming than we've actually had are just reviewing the trends and science. Anyone who disagrees is a traitor.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Here, let me translate into terms you'll understand:

I'm not even sure what "hatred and ignorance" is supposed to mean in this context, disagreeing with the extent (not need for action) of racism in America using scientific estimates?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I'm glad the people who used to spend their time losing arguments to me have graduated to ceaselessly whining about me to other people in the most hysterical terms possible.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Thug Lessons posted:

I'm glad the people who used to spend their time losing arguments to me have graduated to ceaselessly whining about me to other people in the most hysterical terms possible.

"arguments" doing a loving ton of work there

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Thug Lessons posted:

It's really funny :)

It's hardly only climate change where this is the case, there is a critical mass of depression/anxiety/loneliness in modern society that manifests itself in people really getting emotionally involved in these sorts of issues and engaging in the typical in/out group speech. That's where all the "punish the unbelievers, we must suffer for what we have done" comes from imo.

It's also really hard to actually know what the gently caress you are talking about on this subject, so people mask their ignorance by just being hyperbolic assholes who scream at anyone that disagrees with their poorly thought out conclusions.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Potato Salad posted:

This isn't about planes and whatever, it's me laughing at you for calling avoiding flights austerity itself, then continuing to laugh at you as you double- and triple-down on it.

You also have a definition for poverty that's commendably incorrect and speaks volumes about your soul.

lmao, you know you are in crazy land when owl of loving cream cheese manages to be a voice of reason.

StabbinHobo posted:

lemme guess you're another person who "believes" in global warming but hasn't done poo poo to lift a finger about it

lemmmmme guess, you're one of those people that "flies" in "airplanes". Your soul is fuckin' dooomed mate.

tsa fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 17, 2018

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I want to kill myself in penance for my terrible sins against nature, but am concerned that my death will result in the carbon in my body being released into the atmosphere, resulting in even more global warming.

What is the recommended environmentally correct method of suicide?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Orange Sunshine posted:

I want to kill myself in penance for my terrible sins against nature, but am concerned that my death will result in the carbon in my body being released into the atmosphere, resulting in even more global warming.

What is the recommended environmentally correct method of suicide?

Killing oil industry lobbyists and CEOs.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

tsa posted:

It's hardly only climate change where this is the case, there is a critical mass of depression/anxiety/loneliness in modern society that manifests itself in people really getting emotionally involved in these sorts of issues and engaging in the typical in/out group speech. That's where all the "punish the unbelievers, we must suffer for what we have done" comes from imo.

Thank you Mr. Robot for your analysis of why people become emotional over the mounting research that says we'll essentially have committed ecocide by 2100 at the very latest, well within the lifetime of my kids. Emotions are difficult for those on the spectrum, but eventually with enough human contact, I think even you can overcome that.

And yes, I unironically do believe that "unbelievers", as you call them, or as I call them "climate change deniers" should be punished. I don't want anyone to suffer, but we probably will - because of fingerwagging liberals that sold your child's future for a Dodge Ram like yourself.

Let me go ahead and push that button I love to push: your kids lives are going to be way, way worse than yours and they're going to blame you for it.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Me, upset and retarded: The earth seems like it's dying folks! There's a lot of research that says our current emissions trajectory is incompatible with global, organized, liberal civilization by 2050 - well within our lifetimes, not just that of our kids. Also, I'm a huge misanthrope that cares about things besides just people and a stupid human being that cares about animal life!

You, cool and contained: lol, get therapy

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

call to action posted:

Me, upset and retarded: The earth seems like it's dying folks! There's a lot of research that says our current emissions trajectory is incompatible with global, organized, liberal civilization by 2050 - well within our lifetimes, not just that of our kids. Also, I'm a huge misanthrope that cares about things besides just people and a stupid human being that cares about animal life!

Don't worry, the rapture will save us by then.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

call to action posted:

And yes, I unironically do believe that "unbelievers", as you call them, or as I call them "climate change deniers" should be punished.

What sort of punishment would be appropriate?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

call to action posted:

You guys have no connection to the research. On the rare occasions you have numbers to back up your predictions of doom I have to come in here to correct you because they're wildly inaccurate. You're a guy on the sidewalk holding up an "the end is near" sign that I stopped to argue with because your asinine apocalyptic ideology makes a nice punching bag.

Edit: That said I have no problem with R.I.M. and others who take a more pessimistic outlook but are actually interested in grounding it in climate science.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Orange Sunshine posted:

Expulsion to Puerto Rico.

BTW, there's plenty of science in this article: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/climate-change-earth-too-hot-for-humans.html

Just because I don't debate your bullshit science directly doesn't make the above not real.

call to action fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 17, 2018

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Orange Sunshine posted:

Barred from voting, for starters.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Orange Sunshine posted:

Deniers who are paid media shills (like the ones in the "Merchants of Doubt" documentary) or the ones funding denial to reap the benefits from their fossil energy holdings (the Kochs) should be tried for a capital crime.

But by then I expect the mobs will have gotten to them.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
TL is just playing fishmech in this thread for some reason, he nitpicks anything he can see as being slightly inaccurate, without ever presenting an argument as to why we're to believe that global human civilization is somehow going to be able to survive the effects of climate change past the end or even middle of this century. He grabs on to any post where someone talks about how there's even a chance that we're going to start an end-permian style anoxic event with our hilariously reckless behavior and straight up pathetic and meaningless attempts at mitigation and uses that to paint every poster in the thread with the doomsday/chicken little brush. I think it's because he refuses to believe that the doctrine of never-ending growth and consumption might be hilariously wrongheaded and physically impossible. Either way, I don't know why people keep engaging with him.

There's plenty of people in this thread who are not particularly concerned with wiping out 99% of life on the planet, because it's much more likely that my country won't exist long before then anyways.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

call to action posted:

Expulsion to Puerto Rico.

BTW, there's plenty of science in this article: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/climate-change-earth-too-hot-for-humans.html

Just because I don't debate your bullshit science directly doesn't make the above not real.

Great job reposting an article that was roundly critiqued by actual climate scientists for glaring inaccuracies and baseless alarmism. Terms used to describe the errors include, "pure hyperbole", "factually wrong", and "very alarmist". Great descriptions of the poo poo you post.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Thug Lessons posted:

It's completely possible. Let's say we have 10Gt in residual emissions. That just means we need to get an additional 10Gt in negative emissions. How much would that cost? Depends. Let's say it's a $100/ton. That means it's $1 trillion a year, or 1% of global GDP. That's not an impossible amount of money to spend, even if it is a waste. With BECCS it might even be profitable. I'm not sure we'll do this, because people are loath to spend money, but there's no inherent reason it couldn't be.

Also, once again, have no idea what you're talking about with BECCS. The electricity doesn't have carbon in it.

I think this thought-example is exactly why every thing I read about BECCS insisted that it alone wasn't enough, we'd need massive reduction in emissions as well. Even if it is possible to scale to that extent, it's just going to become an excuse for people to continue the pursuit of economic growth and development. That 10Gt becomes 11, 12, etc, and we have to build more and more BECCS capacity in perpetuity (eating up lots of fertilizer) in order to maintain what is basically life support so that we can keep emitting affluently and bring more people into the high-emissions class. The monetary cost is meaningless against the fact that we're going deeper into a trap.

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 17, 2018

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Thug Lessons posted:

Great job reposting an article that was roundly critiqued by actual climate scientists for glaring inaccuracies and baseless alarmism. Terms used to describe the errors include, "pure hyperbole", "factually wrong", and "very alarmist". Great descriptions of the poo poo you post.

Do the shills get that links to their denialist websites aren't super convincing? Why the gently caress should anyone care about these fake scientist shills tut-tutting us about being overly dramatic when they have been WRONG for decades about how impactful climate change will be and how quickly it will come? People who marginalize calls for action are DENIALISTS.

By the way, Michael Mann didn't have any problems with the actual content or science - just the 'doomist framing' as he called it.

call to action fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 17, 2018

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

ChairMaster posted:

TL is just playing fishmech in this thread for some reason, he nitpicks anything he can see as being slightly inaccurate, without ever presenting an argument as to why we're to believe that global human civilization is somehow going to be able to survive the effects of climate change past the end or even middle of this century.

I do, you're just not listening. The reason is because we've been over this before. In the 1960s we heard the famines were coming in books like Famine 1975! and The Population Bomb. President Carter addressed the nation about in a primetime address warning of the dangers of peak oil, which would set in in the 1980s and devastate the country if reliance on petroleum was maintained. The famines never came, and the oil supply never dried up. And it turns out when you look into it, these prophecies of doom go all the way back to Malthus, and arguably well beyond, with a very poor track record for accuracy. Very real problems like broad-scale ecological catastrophe become repositories for the human penchant for apocalyptic fervor. It's interesting - but only because it says something about the culture and warped psychologies that produced it, not because it says anything about the future.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If you look through my extremely Boomer-y timeframe, people who wrote two books were being alarmist so therefore it means everyone always is, and it definitely means climate researchers are.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
oil bubble popping got postponed by the discovery of efficient fracking lmao

see how that's been working out for us

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

call to action posted:

Do the shills get that links to their denialist websites aren't super convincing?

By the way, Michael Mann didn't have any problems with the actual content or science - just the 'doomist framing' as he called it.

Go through the articles on that website. They're mostly attacking denialist articles from conservative publications. The guy who put together that piece is Michael E. Mann, the director at the Penn State Earth System Science Center, who made the famous "hockey stick" graph, turning him into a target for climate denialists. I guess we should listen to you, an anonymous internet person with a severe case of Dunning-Kruger, rather than one of the most prominent climate scientists in America, AND a bunch more.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Car Hater posted:

I think this thought-example is exactly why every thing I read about BECCS insisted that it alone wasn't enough, we'd need massive reduction in emissions as well. Even if it is possible to scale to that extent, it's just going to become an excuse for people to continue the pursuit of economic growth and development. That 10Gt becomes 11, 12, etc, and we have to build more and more BECCS capacity in perpetuity (eating up lots of fertilizer) in order to maintain what is basically life support so that we can keep emitting affluently and bring more people into the high-emissions class. The monetary cost is meaningless against the fact that we're going deeper into a trap.

All the studies about the role BECCS can play in preventing the climate go off the rails explicitly assume rapid decarbonization over the next 20-30 years. It is not possible to avoid catastrophic warming with BECCS-alone, it really cannot scale up enough. I don't think you're disagreeing with this, I'm just pointing out it's almost pointless to start building BECCS when there's still significant fossil fuel usage, it's like stopping a river with bucket.

However I do think states starting to implement large-scale BECCS could be a useful as a political cudgel against holdout emitters, as in "we're paying all this money to scrape carbon out of the atmosphere, why are you dumping it back in?"

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
just lol if you think the countries of the world are going to do anything other than wildly spray sulfates into the air when push comes to shove

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

self unaware posted:

just lol if you think the countries of the world are going to do anything other than wildly spray sulfates into the air when push comes to shove nuke the Middle East.