Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

EightBit posted:

Most of the stop signs in the US should be replaced with roundabouts.

Mainly so I can see all the useless olds flabbergasted.

Newer drivers aren't much better. I don't think Americans grasp the concept except for a window in their 30s-40s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

EightBit posted:

Careful, my housing area has a roundabout... WITH STOP SIGNS.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

El Jebus posted:

Careful, my housing area has a roundabout... WITH STOP SIGNS.

That's just a four-way stop with extra steps.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

EightBit posted:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://i.imgur.com/uLgWWcW.gifv

Just what I think about whenever I see roundabouts.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 17, 2018

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

Yeah that's something I noticed as well. You guys have a shitload of stop signs.

That's because they're used liberally as speed control devices, not just for right-of-way control.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I had my windshield replaced, and lost the windshield mount for my blacksys CF-100 in the process. Anyone know where I can get a replacement?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing with my A119S, unless the car is ahead of me in my lane. No idea if it's just something with the polarizing lens I bought at the same time as the cam though, I suppose...? (Just thought of that then, so I haven't tested with/without) I think I might have to start shouting out the license plate so I can hear it in the recording, if I see anything sus happen.

The A119S has an issue where the lens can be out of focus on one side. Its a pretty lovely process to fix though.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a119s-disassemble-lens-alignment-refocus.28327/

I have the same camera and mine is out of focus on the left side.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
A new DCA compilation is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3N6IAWl3wo

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Dude at 7:00 is my favorite.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
If I've learned anything from DCA videos, it's that utes with a whip antenna on the front are accident magnets.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
I still re-watch the :gary: because it's a work of art

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

EightBit posted:

In my city there is a roundabout with stop signs :mad:

edit: oh, someone already complained about this :smith:

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 21, 2018

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
No crashes or accidents but a neat dashcam channel still, showing ambulance trips in the Netherlands: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAM-cN-N35LuEl-Z1zW5A_A

Be sure to enable subtitles for commentary on what's going on

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Toe Rag posted:

In my city there is a roundabout with stop signs :mad:

edit: oh, someone already complained about this :smith:

My city has more than one with stop signs, and traffic lights at the intersections. They're less like roundabouts, and more like a series of unnecessarily complex, bent intersections.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
So I just spent $400 in store credit I had lying around on a GoPro Hero6 (only "dashcam" type camera that does HEVC and also appropriate for bicycling, which I do more of than driving).

I was going to pick up a helmet-mount gimbal for my bicycle helmet, and maybe some kind of quick-release scheme so I can pop it into my car on the rare occasion I drive. Anyone else ever tried multi-tasking one of these things? The one thing in particular is it says it only lasts 30 minutes on the battery if I record in 4K, so I guess I might need to put a small external battery on my helmet too.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 28, 2018

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Don’t record in 4K for everyday stuff. If you’re recording for a dash cam, 1080p is overkill for just about everything, and saves battery and memory card space.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
GoPro sucks as a dashcam. Even at most conservative settings, battery will not last more than 3 hours, and you can't charge and record at the same time. Also, no video loop

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Get a couple extra batteries. A gimbal is probably overkill for helmet mounting, your neck is already smoothing things out.

Everyone will tell you that they're bad dash cams, and they're not wrong, but there's also very little out there that will easily mount to a helmet and still work well. I'm pretty sure an A119 would disintegrate in the wind.

Edit: I get about an hour on one battery, shooting 4K with GPS off. Going down to 1440 or 1080p will get you about three.

Fats fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 28, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Zero VGS posted:

So I just spent $400 in store credit I had lying around on a GoPro Hero6 (only "dashcam" type camera that does HEVC and also appropriate for bicycling, which I do more of than driving).

I was going to pick up a helmet-mount gimbal for my bicycle helmet, and maybe some kind of quick-release scheme so I can pop it into my car on the rare occasion I drive. Anyone else ever tried multi-tasking one of these things? The one thing in particular is it says it only lasts 30 minutes on the battery if I record in 4K, so I guess I might need to put a small external battery on my helmet too.

No, the proper dash can for a bike is a fly12. The orginal one can be had for like $200 new and has 10 hours battery life.
Go pros are not even great for cycling because thier battery life is laughable.

It won't be a great car dash cam either (the old one can't even charge and run at the same time, the new one can), but at least ot won't suck for the use case.
Also, bar mount the camera. Helmet mounts make your helmet less effective.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Fats posted:

Get a couple extra batteries. A gimbal is probably overkill for helmet mounting, your neck is already smoothing things out.

Everyone will tell you that they're bad dash cams, and they're not wrong, but there's also very little out there that will easily mount to a helmet and still work well. I'm pretty sure an A119 would disintegrate in the wind.

Edit: I get about an hour on one battery, shooting 4K with GPS off. Going down to 1440 or 1080p will get you about three.
No

Nitrox posted:

Hello everyone. A year ago I was asking this thread about motorcycle specific "registrator" or dashcam.

Ended up settling on Sena 10C simply because there isn't much out there. But it is an excellent travel companion, tough and rugged. I've had an accident where camera actually hit the pavement. It broke the bracket and casing, but the little bastard still recording.

Photos and video review here https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/sena-10c-bluetooth-communicator-and-video

I can post my own if anyone is interested.
It's cheaper than GoPro

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Nitrox posted:

No

It's cheaper than GoPro

He's riding a bicycle.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

No

It's cheaper than GoPro

I had a Sena Prism Tube before I got the GoPro, and was fairly disappointed with it. Picture quality wasn’t great, and it would often lose the last few minutes of footage when I’d turn it off. I’m glad the 10C is better; if I didn’t already have a 10S I would have considered one.

I’d never heard of the Fly12 before, but it looks very good. Odd how they manage ~10 hours of runtime when these others can hardly do 3.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Fats posted:

I’d never heard of the Fly12 before, but it looks very good. Odd how they manage ~10 hours of runtime when these others can hardly do 3.

It is pretty heavy because it has a lot of battery in it. Not that noticeable if you hang it off your bar. Also, cycling is one of the few sports that would actually demand 10 hours run time.

Please note that the built in light drains battery fast and isn't really great as you want to aim a light differently than a camera. I bring a spare light with me if I expect to ride a night, though it can be a decent backup if you have a mechanical that delays getting home.

nm fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 29, 2018

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Fats posted:

I had a Sena Prism Tube before I got the GoPro, and was fairly disappointed with it. Picture quality wasn’t great, and it would often lose the last few minutes of footage when I’d turn it off. I’m glad the 10C is better; if I didn’t already have a 10S I would have considered one.

I don't know what Prism is, but my post was about Sena 10C, which has nothing to do with it.

nm posted:

He's riding a bicycle.
It mounts on a helmet. He can ride a mechanical bull for all we care.

Fly12 looks like a really good item. Amazon long term reviews are pretty good.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 29, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A friend is running one of these and loves it and when I saw a coupon for it I snagged it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077D7C6R7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Paid $42 for it and so far it works well enough for my purposes.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Nitrox posted:

It mounts on a helmet. He can ride a mechanical bull for all we care.

Fly12 looks like a really good item. Amazon long term reviews are pretty good.

It mounts on a motorcycle helmet. Unless he's commuting in downhill gear, that mounting system won't work on a bike helmet as far as I can tell.

re: Fly 12, I've had mine for like 2 years, and it is pretty great. Other than the "on" light placement, all the other bugs have been worked out.
The newer one is a bit lighter and more compact but has a slightly worse battery life and isn't nearly as cheap. The fly12 has pretty solid video quality too, 1080p, but the lens quality is good. Easy license plate reading, even at night (you will need a light on though).

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You're right, most bicycle helmets don't have a good mounting position for it, I take it back.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

I don't know what Prism is, but my post was about Sena 10C, which has nothing to do with it.

It's one of Sena's camera-only things. It was cheaper than replacing my 10S. Like I said, I'm glad the 10C is better, because the Prism sucks and I assumed all Sena cameras were bad.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Godholio posted:

Newer drivers aren't much better. I don't think Americans grasp the concept except for a window in their 30s-40s.

You haven't been to New Jersey. They've actually removed a few of them..

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Nitrox posted:

GoPro sucks as a dashcam. Even at most conservative settings, battery will not last more than 3 hours, and you can't charge and record at the same time. Also, no video loop

You can definitely charge and record at the same time as long as you plug in to a portable battery (as opposed to a PC where it'll go into download mode), and when I asked the GoPro support guy he says they do indeed let you switch a GoPro to looping over the old video when it runs out of space.

Nitrox posted:

You're right, most bicycle helmets don't have a good mounting position for it, I take it back.

My bicycle helmet is kinda moto-cross like: https://smile.amazon.com/Bell-Super-MIPS-Bike-Helmet/dp/B01KXZ1WXK

I was probably going to mount to the chinguard.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
That seems like a great way to get a camera smashed into your face in the event of a crash

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Sena 10C is bluetooth first, camera second. It mounds on a side and comes with speakers and such, so most of that functionality will be lost on a bicycle helmet installation. Considering that it cost $340, you either get a 3/4 helmet or just move to something else, like a Fly12 posted above. The bluetooth setup is loving excellent, especially if you're riding in a group and will use it to full potential. It does group or individual chat with up to 4 people and you can even share music between users. There is nothing better on the market if you're on a motorcycle.

https://imgur.com/3XOAM17

If you're looking to film 4k footage in extreme fisheye style, then GoPro or similar is what you want. If you want to leave it and forget it camera that just loops forever, and will only be used in case of an accident, then maybe 10C is a better option.

My experience with GoPros circa early 2017 is that they could not loop or charge while shooting video. Glad to hear they corrected those shortcomings.

Zero VGS posted:

I was probably going to mount to the chinguard.
You're adding weight to a helmet in the worst possible spot, especially with that specific helmet.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 30, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Nitrox posted:

You're adding weight to a helmet in the worst possible spot, especially with that specific helmet.

Don't worry, my year of VR has given me a neck so swole it looks like a pack of hotdogs.

I mean if it's that bad I can always ziptie it in a different spot. Top of helmet is taken up by a flashlight but maybe I can make room for both.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Please do not put cameras on your helmet.

Sincerely: a dude who picked up motorcyclists and cyclists who had cameras on their helmets.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Don't worry, my year of VR has given me a neck so swole it looks like a pack of hotdogs.

I mean if it's that bad I can always ziptie it in a different spot. Top of helmet is taken up by a flashlight but maybe I can make room for both.

You can get a bar mount for the gopro. The fly12 also uses gorpro style mounts, and I use the fancier go-pro handlebar mount (thye one that is all metal), and it is really very nice. I use it to mount on the street side of my drops, which is best for getting license plates (plus it doesn't interfere with my bar bags).

Like this

nm fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 30, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Please do not put cameras on your helmet.

Sincerely: a dude who picked up motorcyclists and cyclists who had cameras on their helmets.

What's that even mean? The cameras killed them? I think there's breakaway mounts, my helmet may have come with one if I can dig it up actually.

The main reason I want a helmet cam is so that I can look towards what I want to capture, for example I had some punk kids throwing poo poo at me from their car to the side of me the other day. If I can bike up to them and get their 4K faces and plates, I can YouTube shame them, or forward it to some cops I know who live to scare the poo poo outta kids like that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

One of the key things a bike helmet is supposed to do is slide. When you attach poo poo to it, it ceases to slide.
I can think of very few things a bar mounted camera wouldn't catch, except for stuff from the rear, but rear cameras catch that. In any event helmet mounted cameras tend not to be looking where you want until after the fact.
I do like 6-7k mi a year and haven't missed anything really.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
All mounts add leverage and grip points (for the asphalt slide, shockproof mounts tend to be a softer compound that grips the road surface more) to your neck. I sure hope the VR comment was facetious.

We get annual trainings on trends to watch out for, and hospitals put up posters in the EMS rooms about updated procedures. Like when Subaru updated their A-B pillar loop with reinforced folded layered bars, hospitals and fire departments put up posters with new cut points. Or when hybrid motorcycle helmets got big in 2014 or so (they obviously existed before then, but Shoei sparked a hybrid helmet market resurgence that Chinese manufacturers caught onto) we updated protocols to check more thoroughly for orbit fractures and other things that hybrid helmets tend to allow versus true full-face ones.

Helmet mounted cameras DO increase the incidence of spinal injury. Above "marginal" enough that we're trained to take extra c-spine precaution on a (motor)cyclist MVA with a camera or mount present versus one without. I mean, there's a reason helmets are made out of polycarbonate and as thin as possible: they slide instead of roll, and they keep the leverage length as short as possible. Also, a random rock kicked up, or a bird flying low across the road (pheasants :argh:) can kick your head back with a lot more leverage on the end of a camera bar versus on your helmet itself.

E: he typed his post while I was typing mine ^^^^ same poo poo though. Don't do it, or get a loving low profile camera (that can still catch on the roadway when you eat it, but whatever). A gopro is a TERRIBLE head-mounted device, full stop.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I love this place: you enjoy the poop jokes and then you learn something that is both interesting and potentially lifesaving.

I knew that cameras mounted to helmet were considered A Bad Thing after the Schumacher accident:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/m...d-injuries.html

But at the time, the worry was that they were concentrating the impact.
It never crossed my mind that they could dig and and snap your head round.

That's scary as gently caress.