Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

bango skank posted:

Was DC the place where they had dudes who you would give money to on the street and then later down the street a different guy would come by on a bike or something to give you some weed?

Yup, that is *exactly* DC. That's still a pretty transparent legal dodge, so people can get nailed for it if the cops bother, but enforcement has been pretty sporadic. People have been more upset about the cops raiding "donation" parties, since those are generally attended by wealthy white people, which is a bad demographic to piss off in DC. You can google "Marijuana pop-ups" to get the scoop on all of those. That aside, DC is still disproportionately cracking down on minorities for public smoking (exacerbated by the fact that poorer minorities are more likely to live in rental units that don't turn a blind eye to weed, and/or public housing where it can get you evicted) as well as trafficking.

That said, DC marijuana arrests have dropped from nearly 6,000 in 2011 to under 1,000 currently (though the trend was already declining before decrim and legalization) so overall it's certainly an improvement, though the disparity is troubling. And some of that disparity arguably just comes from the heavy police presence in poor areas, combined with giving less slack to minorities while ignoring similar activity in wealthier areas.

Re the pop-ups, here's one pretty blatant example where vendors set up an event in a DC nightclub, sold $400 pairs of tube-socks, and "gifted" weed along with the purchase: https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/22-People-Arrested-17-Lbs-of-Marijuana-Seized-in-Downtown-DC-Drug-Bust-470946223.html

Adam Eidinger's DCMJ has been working on all this stuff, but the real stumbling block is at the Congressional level, so when Eidinger gets interviewed for this stuff as the go-to weed guy, about all he can say is "this is what happens when DC isn't allowed to have stores."

EDIT: Kush Gods is apparently still operating in DC, and as of this week hiring more personnel per their Twitter. The owner has been busted multiple times for trafficking, so I honestly don't know how they're staying in business but clearly they are. I've run across them myself: they'll park a car covered in weed-vinyl right in the middle of busy nightlife areas. Apparently you give them money, sign a statement saying you expect nothing, and within a minute someone will emerge from the crowd and just hand you weed because they appreciate you for being you. Clearly it's not legally foolproof since they've been repeatedly busted, but somehow they keep going.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
I haven't been to DC for a few months, but the pop ups were everywhere and featured dozens of vendors openly selling all forms of flower, concentrate, and edibles. Reddit groups for vendor meetups and numerous delivery services operating with just the fig leaf of 'donate for this product, comes with free weed' were also the order of the day.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I totally agree that no one should try to pass off "hemp seed oil" as a medicinal product, but as far as I can tell, you're the only person making the claim that people are. Maybe that's happening in shittier states? I remain curious where your misconception is coming from.

The CBD oil I get from the dispensary has a count of 21%, the last test shown from your green mountain link is showing a count of 1.24% and on the other websites you linked I couldn't find any percentage amount of their products.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I haven't been to DC for a few months, but the pop ups were everywhere and featured dozens of vendors openly selling all forms of flower, concentrate, and edibles. Reddit groups for vendor meetups and numerous delivery services operating with just the fig leaf of 'donate for this product, comes with free weed' were also the order of the day.

I like to imagine what the briefings are like about this at MPD. Do they just roll their eyes a lot, are they really spun-up about it, or is there some basic "yeah whatever, bust two of them a month just on principle, not even worth trying to tackle more of them."

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The CBD oil I get from the dispensary has a count of 21%, the last test shown from your green mountain link is showing a count of 1.24% and on the other websites you linked I couldn't find any percentage amount of their products.

right, that's a lab report on a cocnut oil suspension before it's been concentrated and standardized. The end product is 20mg of cannabinoids per ml. You can certainly get stronger CBD products (phytodabs shatter is up to 70-80% CBD by weight), I only linked green mountain because it's what I use because it's been they best ratio of price to desired effects (60-80mg/day is where I like to be). I can certainly provide lab reports of other VT CBD oils which are more concentrated, again, this is just the one I use, but if one understands the chemistry then you know it doesn't matter. I've made a hell of a lot of cannabis extracts in my day, back when I was more willing to periodically fireball my kitchen.

There are strains which can be as high as 20% CBD right on the bud (the CBDHemp direct link I provided has a strain that's 15), but mostly stuff that high is being sold as high grade cbd bud, not extracted. If your dispensary oil is 21%, you can bet they started with plant matter that was a lot less.

anyway, the idea that there's anything magical about dispensary oil that I can't reproduce in my garage with a bunch of cbd bud and a closed-loop extractor, is just wrong. I'll stop beating this into the ground; the thing that triggered me was "hemp is not cannabis", when it literally is. If two products both are full spectrum cannabis extracts, one of them is 10x as concentrated as the other, but the other is dosed 10x as much... you're taking the same thing.

Hemp seed oil is not cbd oil, no disagreement there.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 16, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I like to imagine what the briefings are like about this at MPD. Do they just roll their eyes a lot, are they really spun-up about it, or is there some basic "yeah whatever, bust two of them a month just on principle, not even worth trying to tackle more of them."

there was some early enforcement against a couple vendors, one of whom had his car detailed with giant pictures of bud, last I heard he was in the process of a countersuit. That was the situation when I moved away two years ago; friends who are still there say there's really no enforcement at all these days and these open air "farmer's markets" that get organized on Instagram or wherever are allowed to operate.

presumably the people operating as a real business, "donations" or no, are paying DC tax on their business. Even without a real legal sales mechanism with a sin tax, that's got to be contributing significantly to the city's coffers.

I liked to joke that DC was the only place hosed and divided enough to legalize weed and not make a dime off of it, but then I moved to Vermont...

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Tim Raines IRL posted:

right, that's a lab report on the bud before it's been extracted and standardized. The end product is 20mg of cannabinoids per ml. You can certainly get stronger CBD products (phytodabs shatter is up to 70-80% CBD by weight), I only linked green mountain because it's what I use because it's been they best ratio of price to desired effects (60-80mg/day is where I like to be).

the interim lab reports from your dispensary, if they publish them, would be similar; there are strains which can be as high as 20% CBD right on the bud (the CBDHemp direct link I provided has a strain that's 15), but mostly stuff that high is being sold as high grade cbd bud, not extracted. If your dispensary oil is 21%, you can bet they started with plant matter that was a lot less.

anyway, the idea that there's anything magical about dispensary oil that I can't reproduce in my garage with a bunch of cbd bud and a closed-loop extractor, is just wrong. I'll stop beating this into the ground; the thing that triggered me was "hemp is not cannabis", when it literally is.

This drives me insane also, Godspeed cbd shatter mad scientist (do you really have a closed loop extractor??)

For slightly more content, we tried to grow a high CBD strain (The Wife, 25% CBD) where I work, and there ended up being an issue where it seemed to be against the rules to sell ~0% THC weed. Or they just told us that, but I haven't seen any 0% strains advertised anywhere else.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Inspector Hound posted:

This drives me insane also, Godspeed cbd shatter mad scientist (do you really have a closed loop extractor??)

For slightly more content, we tried to grow a high CBD strain (The Wife, 25% CBD) where I work, and there ended up being an issue where it seemed to be against the rules to sell ~0% THC weed. Or they just told us that, but I haven't seen any 0% strains advertised anywhere else.

nah, I've looked at them but I'm waiting for the legal framework here to settle. As written now, you can't work with hexane or butane at home, I'd prefer co2 anyway because fireballs are bad and so are petroleum fumes, but they're really expensive. Once I have a legal op setup, I'm going to get a press and just make rosin for myself and cook the remains into butter.

that's sort of funny, I've never heard of a minimum content. I guess if it's less than 0.3% thc, federally it's not "marijuana", but does that matter?

I want to grow harlequin and white widow. Harlequin can be 20:1 cbd:thc. For totally thc free stuff, I've got to see... since that's not marijuana, it's possible that growing a couple of those doesn't count against my plant limits, I need to talk to the local weed legal experts.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 16, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tim Raines IRL posted:

anyway, the idea that there's anything magical about dispensary oil that I can't reproduce in my garage with a bunch of cbd bud and a closed-loop extractor, is just wrong. I'll stop beating this into the ground; the thing that triggered me was "hemp is not cannabis", when it literally is. If two products both are full spectrum cannabis extracts, one of them is 10x as concentrated as the other, but the other is dosed 10x as much... you're taking the same thing.

You don't see a problem with a tincture of 3% CBD being the same price as one with 20%? Yeah you're taking the same thing but have to take 10x as much to get the same benefits at a much higher cost? How is that helpful?

The problem is without any kind of standardization/regualtion anyone can call something CBD oil even if it has .001% CBD in it and market it as medically beneficial. I get that some of it has higher counts and is beneficial, but how do you know which ones are and which ones are not? No one selling "Hemp CBD oil" on Amazon is showing the CBD percentage, but they are all claiming to provide the benefits CBD.

I'm not saying there's anything magical about dispensary CBD, but at least I know exactly what I'm getting because they have to provide the information, like I said those websites you posted besides Green Mountain weren't very clear about the amounts of CBD in their products.

I don't want to beat this into the ground either, but there's clearly some ambiguity going on.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

You don't see a problem with a tincture of 3% CBD being the same price as one with 20%? Yeah you're taking the same thing but have to take 10x as much to get the same benefits at a much higher cost? How is that helpful?

There's places that will sell you a bottle of beer that's 2.3% ABV for the same price as beers that are 10% ABV or even 18% ABV. As long as it's properly labeled how's that a problem really?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fishmech posted:

There's places that will sell you a bottle of beer that's 2.3% ABV for the same price as beers that are 10% ABV or even 18% ABV. As long as it's properly labeled how's that a problem really?

It's not labeled, that's the problem. It would be like labeling all beer "contains alcohol".

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

It's not labeled, that's the problem. It would be like labeling all beer "contains alcohol".

Everything I buy here is clearly labelled, and I'm pretty sure that the products I'm getting are going to end up being as cheap / cheaper per gram of CBD than whatever you're buying at the dispensary. I'd be real curious to know, though!

quote:

You don't see a problem with a tincture of 3% CBD being the same price as one with 20%?
That is not how the market works, here.

quote:

those websites you posted besides Green Mountain weren't very clear about the amounts of CBD in their products.
Upstate Elevator's products are all very clearly labelled, "1000mg cannabinnoids", "600mg", etc.

CWBotanicals used to be, now they say "25mg hemp extract" which is yes, confusing, because based on my experience with them that probably means "25mg cannabinnoids" but who the gently caress knows (also that stuff is ludicrously expensive, like 10x as much as I pay for high-end).

CBDHemp direct is literally just selling bud, they provide GC/MS per strain, so you can calculate grams of CBD in product by multiplying number of grams purchased * percentage. Notably, it ends up being much cheaper than processed CBD oil, as you'd expect. Ex: "gunpowder" is 11.34% CBD, $239.99 for 1/4lb = 113.25g = 12.84g of CBD = $18/g of CBD.

I'm not disagreeing with you in that there's a lot of sketch and bullshit out there, but it's not hard to find easily quantifiable products with lab results.

Green Mountain is on the lower end per G CBD pricewise for finished products -- but they have been on the record publicly stating that they believe the market is being inflated by nonsense and they are aiming to bring prices down by 50-75% over the next 2 years as they hit scale. We'll see...

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 17, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Everything I buy here is clearly labelled, and I'm pretty sure that the products I'm getting are going to end up being as cheap / cheaper per gram of CBD than whatever you're buying at the dispensary. I'd be real curious to know, though!

You don't think the percentage should be labeled? I think it should be to make everything more transparent. The beer alcohol percentage is actually a pretty good analogy, why can't i see the percentage of CBD in the product I'm buying?

I pay $60 for 500mg tincture, at 21% from the dispensary.

Trust me I'm paying attention because if I can get the same poo poo significantly cheaper I'd be all over it, but I need to know exactly what I'm getting before i go buying it, at least the dispensary can provide all the information I need. Also I'd rather have a higher concentration so I don't have to take as much throughout the day. as it stands right now I'm using about probably 50+mg per day, with something less potent I'm obviously going to be using more so the whole cheaper thing kinda goes out the window.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

You don't think the percentage should be labeled? I think it should be to make everything more transparent. The beer alcohol percentage is actually a pretty good analogy, why can't i see the percentage of CBD in the product I'm buying?

It is labelled. The thing that matters is the total dose you take. That is, if you're consuming 50mg of full-spectrum cannabinnoids it doesn't really matter if it's suspended in 1ml of MCT, 2ml of coconut oil or a quarter tablespoon of butter -- you're getting the same thing either way. Also, if you really want to know the concentration % for some strange reason, knowing the total quantity of cannabinnoids and the volume of the container (both of which are listed on every product I've linked) is all you need, you can use basic math to calculate the concentration. To do this really accurately, you'd need to look up the specific weight of the carrier as well as specific weight of cannabinoids, so we're talking ~9th grade math and not 5th grade basic division. It's not very hard, but it also doesn't really tell you anything of value?

quote:

I pay $60 for 500mg tincture, at 21% from the dispensary.
Assuming that you're paying $60 for 500mg total cannabinoids, which is in a tincture at 21%, that's just over twice the cost of what I usually pay. Is the tincture you're consuming intoxicating / high-THC in it in addition to CBD? If so and you want/need the THC, yea, you're stuck paying the dispensary tax. On the other hand, if all you care about is full-spectrum cannabis extract with a significant and known quantity of CBD in it, Green Mountain is like 40% the cost.

To be really clear and pedantic on the math -- the "21%" is not important, what's important is the "500mg" total cannabinoids. If you take your 21% tincture and mix it with MCT oil at a 1:1 ratio, then you'll have something which is 10.5% CBD, and if you take twice as much of it, you're getting the exact same dose. The total dose is what's interesting, not the weight of the carrier substance. The cost per MG of cannabinoids is what's financially important, not the cost of the carrier substance.

quote:

with something less potent I'm obviously going to be using more so the whole cheaper thing kinda goes out the window.

No. If you're paying $60 for 500mg, that's $0.12 per mg. I pay $30 for 600mg which is $0.05 cents per mg. The fact that the product you're buying is more concentrated just means you're consuming less oil, not that you're saving money (you're spending more).

If I wanted to be real clever and cook my own, then I would get a quarter pound of the high-CBD flower I linked above, decarb and extract it by sautéing it in butter for an extended period, and strain. Assuming 30% loss, that still only ends up costing $0.025 per mg. That's less than a fifth what you're paying now, and about half of what I'm paying. If cost were an issue, I'd definitely just be making butter myself. The nice thing about going that route is that if you're in a legal state and you also want some higher amount of THC in the mix, you can just add whatever other cannabis you want to the CBD flower before cooking.

Downsides to that DIY route are that butter, while very good at pulling out cannabinoids and a number of other parts of the plant, is not going to give you a truly full-spectrum extract. Additionally, the amount of butter needed to approach optimal extraction, is going to be greater than the amounts of other solvents used when this is done industrially, so you're going to have an end product that you have to consume more of to get the same dose. I wasn't kidding about DIY with a closed-loop extractor letting you make dispensary-grade stuff in your kitchen, but the equipment needed to get up and running on that is going to set you back four digits (possibly more if you want to use CO2 and not volatile petro solvents). Depending on where you are and how regulated the market is, a lot of the dispensary oil is almost certainly just stuff some guy cooked up with a closed-loop extractor in his kitchen.

I would apologize for the 10-post derail into the economics of CBD and extraction teks, but it's not like this thread has really been blowing up with content, so I'm letting my long-caged inner :drugnerd: TCC poster out to play for a little bit.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 17, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

In other, possibly worrying news, two pharmaceutical companies appear to be getting close to FDA approval for CBD:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-17/drug-made-from-cannabis-plant-gets-backing-from-fda-staff

https://globenewswire.com/news-rele...i-Syndrome.html

Are we approaching a legal war, where pharma cos with cannabinoid patents start filing patent-infringement lawsuits against hemp and cannabis processing companies? They are calling the latter a "proprietary CBD formulation", which makes me think their IP might be on the carrier and not on the molecule itself, but if we really see the emergence of pharma CBD products with RCTs backing them, I can't believe we're not going to see an attempt to drive full-plant-extract CBD makers out of the business. FWIW, I have never found CBD isolate to be nearly as effective for anything, as full-spectrum.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Reminder that Oklahoma is voting a ballot initiative on MMJ in June, and polling from January is looking promising:

quote:

Forty-five percent of those questioned said they strongly support an upcoming state question that would legalize medical marijuana, and 17 percent said they somewhat support it.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

In other, possibly worrying news, two pharmaceutical companies appear to be getting close to FDA approval for CBD:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-17/drug-made-from-cannabis-plant-gets-backing-from-fda-staff

https://globenewswire.com/news-rele...i-Syndrome.html

Are we approaching a legal war, where pharma cos with cannabinoid patents start filing patent-infringement lawsuits against hemp and cannabis processing companies? They are calling the latter a "proprietary CBD formulation", which makes me think their IP might be on the carrier and not on the molecule itself, but if we really see the emergence of pharma CBD products with RCTs backing them, I can't believe we're not going to see an attempt to drive full-plant-extract CBD makers out of the business. FWIW, I have never found CBD isolate to be nearly as effective for anything, as full-spectrum.

In my opinion this is good news because unscheduled drugs that come from botanical sources are exempt from a lot of FDA regulation. But if the drug is approved it means that people can get CBD on their insurance. Of course a lot of INSYS executives should be in prison for illegally distributing fent.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Dmitri-9 posted:

Of course a lot of INSYS executives should be in prison for illegally distributing fent.

My senator is actively trying, anyway: https://www.statnews.com/2018/04/17/bernie-sanders-bill-jail-opioid-crisis/

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Dmitri-9 posted:

In my opinion this is good news because unscheduled drugs that come from botanical sources are exempt from a lot of FDA regulation.

Any substance which is sold with a therapeutic claim is defined as a drug by the FDA whether it comes from a botanical or not.

If I sold you a handful of walnuts and said they treat depression then the FDA would classify those walnuts as unapproved drugs. The therapeutic claim I made causes them to be a drug.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 18, 2018

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Which is why many of these things will have an asterisk somewhere on their labels stating that they aren't intended to treat anything.

So they would make a package of walnuts, called happy nuts, and very obliquely imply that they would cure depression, but then have that little asterisk and the wording so that they, while not completely untouchable, become impractical to sue by someone without the money to do so and an axe to grind.

Countless supplements are sold because people believe that they do something, and would have to be shown that the thing they are taking was actively and demonstrably harming them before they would even consider not buying it.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 18, 2018

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
This is a pretty big deal, right?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2018/04/19/schumer-backs-effort-to-decriminalize-marijuana/?utm_term=.69c09980ed1d

quote:

The Senate’s top Democrat announced Friday that he is introducing legislation to decriminalize marijuana, the first time that a leader of either party in Congress has endorsed a rollback of one of the country’s oldest drug laws.

Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) in a statement called the move “simply the right thing to do.”

“The time has come to decriminalize marijuana,” Schumer said. “My thinking — as well as the general population’s views — on the issue has evolved, and so I believe there’s no better time than the present to get this done. It’s simply the right thing to do.”

Schumer first shared his intentions Thursday in an interview with Vice News Tonight on HBO, in which he decried the negative effects of current marijuana laws, under which the drug has the same legal classification as heroin. He said too many people caught with small amounts of marijuana had spent too much time in jail and that current laws have had a disproportionate effect on minority communities.

Marijuana legalization, which spent years as a fringe political cause, has become increasingly popular with all voters and increasingly embraced by Democrats. In January, the Pew Research Center found 61 percent of Americans supportive of legalization, with support reaching 70 percent among millennials.

Last year, Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.), who is seen by many Democrats as a potential presidential candidate in 2020, introduced the Marijuana Justice Act, which would legalize the drug nationwide; it was later endorsed by Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.), whose state legalized marijuana in 2015, and Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.), who is also seen as a potential presidential contender. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), who endorsed a marijuana-legalization initiative in California during his 2016 presidential campaign, endorsed Booker’s bill Thursday morning.

Schumer is introducing separate legislation on Friday — a date that is an unofficial holiday for marijuana users. His bill would not legalize marijuana outright, but instead allow states to decide whether to make the drug available commercially. It would end the limbo that marijuana sellers find themselves in, months after Attorney General Jeff Sessions rescinded Obama-era guidance that prevented federal law enforcement officials from interfering with the marijuana business in states where it had legal status.

“The bill lets the states decide and be the laboratories that they ought to be,” Schumer said. “It also will ensure that minority- and woman-owned businesses have a dedicated funding stream to help them compete against bigger companies in the marijuana business. Critically, we ensure that advertising can’t be aimed at kids, and put real funds behind research into the health effects of THC,” referring to the primary psychoactive substance in marijuana.

The legislation would also maintain federal authority to regulate marijuana advertising in the same way it does alcohol and tobacco advertising. The aim, Schumer said, is to ensure that marijuana businesses aren’t allowed to target children in their advertisements.

Schumer’s move was quickly celebrated by legalization supporters, who began the week by thanking Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell for fast-tracking a bill that would legalize industrial hemp.

“In the past week or so we’ve seen an unprecedented escalation of political support for marijuana law reform,” said Tom Angell, chairman of Marijuana Majority. “It seems as if both parties may have finally realized just how popular marijuana legalization is with voters and are afraid of the other party stealing the issue.”

Democrats see the Schumer bill as part of an ongoing effort to attract young voters, who tend not to participate in midterm elections. Schumer has also gotten behind a campaign to restore “net neutrality,” regulation that would prevent Internet service providers from skewing the prices or download speeds for certain kinds of data.

“The time for decriminalization has come, and I hope we can move the ball forward on this,” Schumer said.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

No. It will die in the house.

e. if it's even allowed to reach a vote to begin with, which it 100% will not

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 20, 2018

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Is it just me, or is 4/20 quickly reaching the status of a legit national holiday? I'm in sinful New York City so my perspective might be skewed, but the amount of coverage in the news and the amount of shops that are advertising it is wild.

We're like 5 years off from Starbucks having a CBD latte promotion on 4/20.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I'm in Vancouver and in addition to there being a huge festival on the beach downtown with dozens and dozens of stands selling bud, a lot of the local businesses here are doing $4.20 pie and coffee deals and the like. I have a strong feeling that will trickle southwards pretty quickly with growing acceptance.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

yeah i actually think weed-related 4/20 might actually become a government holiday somewhere in my lifetime

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

yeah i actually think weed-related 4/20 might actually become a government holiday somewhere in my lifetime

It's already more of a real holiday than some of the other dumb poo poo that's floating around (talk like a pirate day, Pi day, looking at you guys).

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Gov LePage in Maine tried to veto legal weed again, but the legislature overruled his veto, so Maine is finally back on track to fully legalize.

The bill that the legislature finally came to support is more conservative than the initial ballot question, so doesn't allow social clubs, and limits plants to 3 instead of 6. They expect to have their first legal commercial sales in spring 2019.

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/05/02/house-overturns-lepage-veto-on-recreational-marijuana-bill/

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

The bill that the legislature finally came to support is more conservative than the initial ballot question, so doesn't allow social clubs, and limits plants to 3 instead of 6. They expect to have their first legal commercial sales in spring 2019.

Good for them but VT needs to get this poo poo fixed because our tax base is shrinking and we're losing the race to market. We've got the slopes, and really none of these other NE states can say that. We need to set it up so that tourists can trivially buy $50 slices of taxed primo on their way to spend $150 skiing for a day.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/992527168482791431

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
The Marianas islands, a US territory in the Pacific, passed a weed legalization bill in its Senate which now goes to the House: https://www.saipantribune.com/index.php/senate-oks-marijuana-bill/

Both CNMI and Guam have been teetering on the edge of Legalization for a while, partially because they're tourist destinations for Asia and could totally clean up selling Japanese tourists overpriced pre-rolls.

As a minor side note, another US Pacific territory, American Samoa, has the harshest weed laws of anywhere in the US.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The smokable cannabis portion of the FL MMJ enacting act has been ruled unconstitutional but is stayed pending SCOFL review. So soon enough smokeable cannabis will be legal for medical patients in florida.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
drat NJ is still blue-balling: legal weed is polling 59-37 but the legislative process is going nowhere fast.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

drat NJ is still blue-balling: legal weed is polling 59-37 but the legislative process is going nowhere fast.

It just makes no drat sense how something that polls so high and is obvious common sense has such incredible inertia. New Jersey doesn't even have that much of a vocal iron ball of conservative rural nutjobs dragging at its ankle, unlike neighboring Pennsylvania or New York.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It just makes no drat sense how something that polls so high and is obvious common sense has such incredible inertia. New Jersey doesn't even have that much of a vocal iron ball of conservative rural nutjobs dragging at its ankle, unlike neighboring Pennsylvania or New York.

One of the prevailing theories is that support for legal weed is "broad but not deep", and that the majority of pro-weed folks are unlikely to change their vote over it either way, so inertia is the safest move.

There are some good think pieces online of why politicians are so gunshy about this. Then you also have plenty of old-school drug warriors ensconced in the senior Dem hierarchy, notably Feinstein who literally won't endorse what her own state has already done.

I'm honestly surprised the GOP hasn't made more moves to steal this ball from the Dems, which almost happened in 2016 when Hillary was being a stick in the mud while half the GOP hopefulls were supporting states rights for legal states.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 28, 2018

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Michigan GOP has been talking for a month about just legalizing weed in the legislature, since it's expected to pass by ballot in November anyway. But if it passes in the legislature, they can make much stricter rules and also avoid the issue being a vote driver for the Dems in the mid-term.

The largest anti-weed group in MI is actually pushing for the legislature option, since they see the writing on the wall for November, so they'd prefer a stricter legislature solution.

That said, the GOP has dicked around and argued too much about this proposal, and they only have until 5 June to make it happen. So probably legal will get approved by a landslide in November.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Michigan GOP has been talking for a month about just legalizing weed in the legislature, since it's expected to pass by ballot in November anyway. But if it passes in the legislature, they can make much stricter rules and also avoid the issue being a vote driver for the Dems in the mid-term.

The largest anti-weed group in MI is actually pushing for the legislature option, since they see the writing on the wall for November, so they'd prefer a stricter legislature solution.

That said, the GOP has dicked around and argued too much about this proposal, and they only have until 5 June to make it happen. So probably legal will get approved by a landslide in November.

The Michigan Legislature has until the end of the day tomorrow to accept the Michigan Marijuana proposal, or it goes on the November ballot. If they reject the proposal, it also goes on the November ballot.
https://ballotpedia.org/Michigan_Marijuana_Legalization_Initiative_(2018)

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Nth Doctor posted:

The Michigan Legislature has until the end of the day tomorrow to accept the Michigan Marijuana proposal, or it goes on the November ballot. If they reject the proposal, it also goes on the November ballot.
https://ballotpedia.org/Michigan_Marijuana_Legalization_Initiative_(2018)

Voters will decide marijuana legalization after Legislature fails to act

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Why?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

The Michigan ballot proposal process runs in a few discrete phases.

Firstly, you gather signatures. The number of signatures required is based off of the last statewide election's turnout, so having an initiative in an off year is odd, since the required number of signatures was based off of 2016.

Once you have enough signatures, and the State Board of Elections certifies the signatures, the proposal goes to the State Legislature. They have 40 days to either approve and possibly amend the language in the proposal. If they do not approve it, either as it was written or in an amended form, the proposal automatically goes onto the ballot.

There was talk of the GOP controlled house and senate approving the proposal with amendments in order to not let it stir up Democratic enthusiasm in November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

What I'm asking is why couldn't they approve it with the amendments and such? If it's got huge popular support, doing so would hurt Democrats in the next election, if they could mess around with the law in all sorts of ways to serve their goals, and they were up against a ticking clock which they can blame all their actions on, why couldn't they just do the dang thing? Who or what was stopping them??