Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

ded posted:

Wait. Armed engine room rover?

how do you think crankcase explosions happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Yo someone say engine explosions thought I heard the call

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

krispykremessuck posted:

how do you think crankcase explosions happen

Look man I just make sure the shaft seals are fed properly.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Yo someone say engine explosions thought I heard the call

I wonder what the biggest engine ever to fully explode was

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

ded posted:

Wait. Armed engine room rover?

Armed SRW was pretty standard for several years post-9/11.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The idea of having a dude with a gun in a reactor plant is beyond laughable to me, there's a lot of poo poo in a plant that reacts very badly to bullets.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
On root or in rout, and does the difference birthday anybody as much as me (no).

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Cerekk posted:

Armed SRW was pretty standard for several years post-9/11.

I'm sure having a sidearm will help while checking bilge levels.

gently caress 9/11 caused a lot of really dumb poo poo.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
A couple of points, since there's a lot of discussion going on about it:

This happened in Great Lakes, where I am an FC A school instructor. The gates are manned by a combination of MAs, civilian Guards, and ASF (Auxiliary Security Force) which is what I was. The security forces here have been comically undermanned for a very long time, so they started putting students awaiting orders through the command's version of SRF-B and putting them on the gates with us. It was one of these students, a fellow watch stander, who casual conversation at the clearing barrel was overheard by the next shift's Watch Commander, a civilian. Things were pretty much on auto-pilot from there. They had the kid sign an official statement, scaring the piss out of him in the process. I'm not about to play "he said, she said" with a junior sailor who did the right thing when I hosed around, so I when they asked me if I wanted to make a statement, I owned up. So we'll see.

DownByTheWooter posted:

honestly I hope dude's command is chill about all this

be cool everybody

Elendil004 posted:

Yeah it's fun to dogpile the guy and he certainly didn't show great thinking ability, but this could be solved with a removal of weapons quals and some extra duty helping the GMs or firearms instructors teach weapons safety and associated rules/regs.

I really appreciate the encouragement. I've been freaking out pretty bad the last few days as I wait to hear how this is going to play out.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Depending on marital status, my GiP xlsx is out of date (nonexistant), I could see 45/45 with both pay and reduction suspended.

Crossing my fingers and doing my R checks on my knee-pads. Mrs. Bad Guy gotsta get payed.

krispykremessuck posted:

Comedy option: KetTarma e-mails the thread to the Command, gets referred to NCIS and he ends up processed for a General after NCIS refers his finger loving of his M9 PDW to a summary court martial as criminal negligence.

:smith:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

shovelbum posted:

I wonder what the biggest engine ever to fully explode was

Depending on your definition of engine, probably Chernobyl.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I'm not about to play "he said, she said" with a junior sailor who did the right thing when I hosed around, so I when they asked me if I wanted to make a statement, I owned up. So we'll see.

I feel as though this is the right thing to have done, though I don't know that it'll help since the focus is going to be on the action itself. But I suspect you'll be a lot happier about the kind of person you are years later thanks to this action and mentality. It may build a will amongst the messes to salvage a career and a Sailor. Although that will depend on a lot of other factors outside your control, it almost will assuredly not happen if you don't keep your head on straight and continue to own it like you did.

Best of luck MBG.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

A couple of points, since there's a lot of discussion going on about it:

This happened in Great Lakes, where I am an FC A school instructor. The gates are manned by a combination of MAs, civilian Guards, and ASF (Auxiliary Security Force) which is what I was. The security forces here have been comically undermanned for a very long time, so they started putting students awaiting orders through the command's version of SRF-B and putting them on the gates with us. It was one of these students, a fellow watch stander, who casual conversation at the clearing barrel was overheard by the next shift's Watch Commander, a civilian. Things were pretty much on auto-pilot from there. They had the kid sign an official statement, scaring the piss out of him in the process. I'm not about to play "he said, she said" with a junior sailor who did the right thing when I hosed around, so I when they asked me if I wanted to make a statement, I owned up. So we'll see.

I really appreciate the encouragement. I've been freaking out pretty bad the last few days as I wait to hear how this is going to play out.

Crossing my fingers and doing my R checks on my knee-pads. Mrs. Bad Guy gotsta get payed.

:smith:

My brother said during the last srf b class they brought this up, so i guess it happened a couple of weeks ago unless there are two of you at great lakes.

Sounds like you're straight hosed, and the already undermanned a school is losing another instructor, although i never really counted on our asf guys to teach. Not because they were bad but because they were always exhausted. When we had guys get their qual pulled they got to do building maintenance maintenance.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

yeah this is some weird poo poo to get upset over. How in the gently caress do yall think crew served weapons used in guard towers in country get cleaned?

I'm in one of the parts of the Navy that has crew serves that we, not armory staff, maintain and this dude did something crazy stupid and it is not the same as a crew serve turn over/maintenance at all

Sounds like the system failed you without that don't take the gun apart training though, shipmate

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 17, 2018

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

orange juche posted:

there's a lot of poo poo in a plant that reacts very badly to bullets.

mosht things, you could say

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Seabees are actually doing construction work here. Sheetrock and stuff. Huh.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

PneumonicBook posted:

My brother said during the last srf b class they brought this up, so i guess it happened a couple of weeks ago unless there are two of you at great lakes.

Sounds like you're straight hosed, and the already undermanned a school is losing another instructor, although i never really counted on our asf guys to teach. Not because they were bad but because they were always exhausted. When we had guys get their qual pulled they got to do building maintenance maintenance.

So it turns out maybe there are two people dumb enough to unholster on asf. My brother just called to tell me at their asf meeting today they were told not to unholster unless you're going to use deadly force, captains last, etc etc.

I will say though that sounds like a real easy way to get yourself out of 18 months of asf.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Seabees are actually doing construction work here. Sheetrock and stuff. Huh.

It's not uncommon for Seabees to do on base construction work, especially overseas. It's just not a great idea, usually

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Got a call last month from the ESO.
"Hey PO1, didn't see you at the exam Sunday, what's up? You were at drill."
"Um yeah, I wasn't eligible. I've only been PO1 for a year."
"Oh, we ordered a test for you. What gives?"
"I was tryin to take it early for LDO?"
"Oh, ok, come by the NOSC and take it tomorrow."
"...."

So I read the non-classified parts of my BIBs and take the test.

Fast forward to two weeks ago, another call from the ESO.
"Hey PO1, congrats, you passed your exam. Get your LDO package ready."
"Cool beans."

Then Sunday at drill, the NOSC Chief pulls me aside. "Hey PO1, according to this list you were (somehow) actually Chief's Board eligible, and you passed. Get a Chief's Package ready. Deadline is 31APR."

Great, I guess? I'm only missing one eval? I was expecting to have to get this all straightened out by October, not in the next two weeks.

Then yesterday, my medical rep says "we just put your LOD on hold so you can go on orders in May and June. Good luck!"

Jeeez guys, it's not like my job needs more than 10 days notice that I'm not going to be there for MONTHS. (Also not like my blown-out-on-AT shoulder doesn't always hurt)

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Got a call last month from the ESO.
"Hey PO1, didn't see you at the exam Sunday, what's up? You were at drill."
"Um yeah, I wasn't eligible. I've only been PO1 for a year."
"Oh, we ordered a test for you. What gives?"
"I was tryin to take it early for LDO?"
"Oh, ok, come by the NOSC and take it tomorrow."
"...."

So I read the non-classified parts of my BIBs and take the test.

Fast forward to two weeks ago, another call from the ESO.
"Hey PO1, congrats, you passed your exam. Get your LDO package ready."
"Cool beans."

Then Sunday at drill, the NOSC Chief pulls me aside. "Hey PO1, according to this list you were (somehow) actually Chief's Board eligible, and you passed. Get a Chief's Package ready. Deadline is 31APR."

Great, I guess? I'm only missing one eval? I was expecting to have to get this all straightened out by October, not in the next two weeks.

Then yesterday, my medical rep says "we just put your LOD on hold so you can go on orders in May and June. Good luck!"

Jeeez guys, it's not like my job needs more than 10 days notice that I'm not going to be there for MONTHS. (Also not like my blown-out-on-AT shoulder doesn't always hurt)

Yeah, get that eval gap closed out or you'll be an easy file to bin. And, I too love the Navy reserve way of things - Slow and then panicky

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
When you wait until the last minute, things only take a minute to do!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I gave my work two weeks notice of my 139 day ADT. The previous week they made me a contractor and a 25% raise so I feel particularly scummy but that’s life!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

LingcodKilla posted:

I gave my work two weeks notice of my 139 day ADT. The previous week they made me a contractor and a 25% raise so I feel particularly scummy but that’s life!

The food situation here in DC will make you feel a whole lot better about yourself.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The food situation here in DC will make you feel a whole lot better about yourself.

The traffic on the other hand...

I'm doing my second last AT right now, my last in November and then I'm throwing in the towel when my contract is up in Feb because fuuuuuuuuuuuck the reserves.

The money and healthcare was nice while I was in school though.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Boon posted:

The traffic on the other hand...

I'm doing my second last AT right now, my last in November and then I'm throwing in the towel when my contract is up in Feb because fuuuuuuuuuuuck the reserves.

The money and healthcare was nice while I was in school though.

If you're getting out why even do the ATs?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Trying desperately to not get fat. Got a short term lease. Started cooking already. Need a goddamn toaster.
The commute should be 30 minutes but takes 45 when I leave in the morning. Slightly worse than my commute back in Bremerton.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

In my defense I got told like a million times not to gently caress the students and I don't think I was ever specifically told not to take apart my M9 while on watch.

Seriously though, I know I hosed up. I can only hope that an otherwise clean record and a willingness to own up and take my licks gets me some leniency.

Maybe they'll be impressed by how quickly I can disassemble and reassemble a pistol?

When I was precomming New Orleans we had a topside rover disassemble his M4 on watch because " I have an AR-15 at home and do it all the time!" He was the source of immediate rear end pain for the rest of us. I was an in port ood and it was like every screw tightened up to the nth degree. Don't remember what his mast ended up as.

Anyways, 16 months left til 20. Woot!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Grats on your sweet O retirement cash.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

ded posted:

Grats on your sweet O retirement cash.

Naw, it's Chief pay so I'll use my resources to get a GS job doing nonsense and making it sound important.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Oh oh in PORT ood. Missed that bit. Still good cash I'm sure.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PneumonicBook posted:

If you're getting out why even do the ATs?

Because my AT is in Japan and also money.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah, if you like workvacations joining a CPF aligned unit is a great way to end up in Hawaii a few times a year.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Back from deployment, I'm told we did great work through the Pacific, but literally nobody remembers anything but the command team being fired. We did it :)

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Bravo Zulu!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Fellow sailors just remember this quote and adjust accordingly.
"Somewhere down near the lowest level of this coordinated organization I run are people who get the work done when it reaches them, and everything manages to run along smoothly without too much effort on my part. I suppose that's because I am a good executive. Nothing we do in this large department of ours is really very important, and there's never any rush. On the other hand, it is important that we let people know we do a great deal of it. Let me know if you find yourself shorthanded. I've already put in a requisition for two majors, four captains and sixteen lieutenants to give you a hand. While none of the work we do is very important, it is important that we do a great deal of it."

Read Catch 22 at least once a year.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I think earth day is a sneaky way to make me pick up trash without actually getting in trouble first.

The Seabees managed to find about 60ft of old pipes and ripped them out of the ground. They also found an old I-beam piece they refused to throw in the trash because it would make a great target.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

I think earth day is a sneaky way to make me pick up trash without actually getting in trouble first.

The Seabees managed to find about 60ft of old pipes and ripped them out of the ground. They also found an old I-beam piece they refused to throw in the trash because it would make a great target.

I still refuse to believe the fact there are Seabees stateside actually doing work. I think you're from an alternate reality.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I actually am doing IT work at the command too.

This is bizzarro land.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

I actually am doing IT work at the command too.

This is bizzarro land.

Quick, who's the CinC?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Nick Soapdish posted:

Quick, who's the CinC?

Like on paper? Because otherwise I’d answer Mattis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

I still refuse to believe the fact there are Seabees stateside actually doing work. I think you're from an alternate reality.

Seabees man Public Works departments here and abroad. Sometimes work happens.