Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

JBP posted:

Thor 3 gave me the biggest Flash Gordon vibes from start to finish in the best possible way.

THOR'S ALIVE!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

R. Guyovich posted:

kong skull island was the only answer someone gave to this question

and if that really is it that is very sad.

Pry yourself away from big budget shlock.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

All schlock is excellent.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

JBP posted:

Thor 3 gave me the biggest Flash Gordon vibes from start to finish in the best possible way.

Yeah, there’s the one theme they use during the action sequences that has the same synth beat that starts Flash’s Theme.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Some casting news: Carrie Coon is the voice of Proxima Midnight.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Cythereal posted:

Some casting news: Carrie Coon is the voice of Proxima Midnight.

Is Proxima supposed to be CG or something?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gatts posted:

Is Proxima supposed to be CG or something?

All of the Black Order are, apparently.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Cythereal posted:

All of the Black Order are, apparently.

Yeah, the Black Order were first unofficially revealed to be in the film via a few set photos of a guy in a mocap suit holding Corvus Glaive's weapon.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Yestermoment posted:

I always thought the starfish/squid guy was a capcom character from....???

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
What do you guys think Thanos smells like. Is he the type to wipe his space rear end/balls from time to time, a clean freak or a slob?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

henpod posted:

What do you guys think Thanos smells like. Is he the type to wipe his space rear end/balls from time to time, a clean freak or a slob?

I just assumed that he enjoys frequent baths using scented soaps and sensuous oils.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JBP posted:

I just assumed that he enjoys frequent baths using scented soaps and sensuous oils.

I guess that explains why he hates Ronan's guts, that guy's daily beauty regimen was just ghastly

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Barry Convex posted:

Yeah, the Black Order were first unofficially revealed to be in the film via a few set photos of a guy in a mocap suit holding Corvus Glaive's weapon.

It would be amazing if this was what they actually looked like onscreen.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gnome de plume posted:

It would be amazing if this was what they actually looked like onscreen.

To be fair, dude in mocap gear is exactly what Mysterio needs to look like.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

To be fair, dude in mocap gear is exactly what Mysterio needs to look like.

Isn't Mysterio's a practical special effects guy whose job was dead-ended? If anything Mysterio would try to murder this dude on sight.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
You have to cleverly update him for the modern age

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

henpod posted:

Clean freak, but the creepy-intense "I MUST SCRUB THE TAINT OF DEATH OFF MY GLORIOUS BODY" kind, not the Patrick Bateman 3-hour beauty regimen kind

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Farg posted:

A digruntled special effects artist who can't find work because the studios just want to use CGI seems to be pretty relevant though. Just give him some stolen Stark tech for him to build poo poo with so he can show everyone just how powerful "real" special effects can be.

I guess you could also go the other way, and make him a VFX guy who's being worked to death by the studio, because now that there are real aliens and monsters running around, the bar for realism has become insanely high.
But then you run into the problem of how to make him a credible threat beyond digitally removing Iron Man's goatee.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Robot Style posted:

A digruntled special effects artist who can't find work because the studios just want to use CGI seems to be pretty relevant though. Just give him some stolen Stark tech for him to build poo poo with so he can show everyone just how powerful "real" special effects can be.

I guess you could also go the other way, and make him a VFX guy who's being worked to death by the studio, because now that there are real aliens and monsters running around, the bar for realism has become insanely high.
But then you run into the problem of how to make him a credible threat beyond digitally removing Iron Man's goatee.

He's a practical effects stunt artist who doesn't work anymore because most cinemas now just show documentaries and camera footage about the absolutely insane events of the last decade. The American entertainment industry has been crippled by the world status quo shift.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Clean freak, but the creepy-intense "I MUST SCRUB THE TAINT OF DEATH OFF MY GLORIOUS BODY" kind, not the Patrick Bateman 3-hour beauty regimen kind
I'm pretty certain that Thanos would love to have Death's taint on his body. I can probably quote comic issues and page numbers to back that up if needed.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Robot Style posted:

Practical effects are the least relevant thing and most people have no opinion or knowledge regarding the divide

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm pretty certain that Thanos would love to have Death's taint on his body. I can probably quote comic issues and page numbers to back that up if needed.

Death is a cutie now so yeah (from Thanos #18)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Farg posted:

Practical effects are the least relevant thing and most people have no opinion or knowledge regarding the divide

Funnily enough there's actual practical FX artists in the real world who are known for their hatred of CGI effects covering up their work such as the guys from the FX studio that worked on the 2011 The Thing remake/boot/prequel.

Edit: Prequelboot? Soft pre-boot?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Vertigo crossover.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Farg posted:

His practical effects and makeup mastery lets him fully hide is super high tech magic trick special effects mocap suit.

But when it's revealed, like the plot development towards the end of Dog Day Afternoon, all of the practical effects folks rooting for this criminal mastermind immediately turn against him. "It's less a superhero film and more a gritty 70s crime thriller with superheroes in it."

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 17, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Mysterio is an American CG effects artist who's out of a job because all the CG work is being shopped around to cheaper Asian studios.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Funnily enough there's actual practical FX artists in the real world who are known for their hatred of CGI effects covering up their work such as the guys from the FX studio that worked on the 2011 The Thing remake/boot/prequel.

Edit: Prequelboot? Soft pre-boot?

To be fair on The Thing prequel the main reason they had to use CGI isn't that practical effects don't hold up in general but that Amalgamated Dynamics are a bafflingly terrible studio trying to live up to the work of an effects God.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PriorMarcus posted:

To be fair on The Thing prequel the main reason they had to use CGI isn't that practical effects don't hold up in general but that Amalgamated Dynamics are a bafflingly terrible studio trying to live up to the work of an effects God.

Didn't Amalgamated Dynamics do Godzilla '14? The effects work in that is unimpeachable.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timby posted:

Didn't Amalgamated Dynamics do Godzilla '14? The effects work in that is unimpeachable.

They didn’t no. They are working on the sequel.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A new Mysterio should be a guy tired of working on effects for superhero movies so he tries to destabilize world governments by spreading fake news videos.

But it backfires because the lovely world just makes people crave more escapist superhero movies.

:smith:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I forget, is it still cannon that the personification of Death actually has a thing for Deadpool?

Or is it just supposed to be that Deadpool's insanity is greater than Thanos' so much that "Death" actually loves him back?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kin posted:

I forget, is it still cannon that the personification of Death actually has a thing for Deadpool?

Or is it just supposed to be that Deadpool's insanity is greater than Thanos' so much that "Death" actually loves him back?

Death just wants what it can't get. And Thanos can technically die.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

sponges posted:

Pry yourself away from big budget shlock.

asking that question doesn't mean i'm only watching blockbusters

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Some good Guardians banter at 1:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTHbQNnXWkc&t=61s

EDIT: Drax and Hulk better team up for a few scenes

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 18, 2018

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I hope they use the version of the Peter-Strange joke from the first trailer because it lands better than it does here.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Needs more Facial Hair Bros

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

She-Hulk still needs a movie.

1000x this.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I’m honestly surprised there isn’t a Single Female Lawyer TV version of She Hulk but with superheroics cribbing from Slott’s first run. Which is also the only great thing he did next to Spidey and Torch. Juan Bobillo was hella MVP on art tho.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Gatts posted:

I’m honestly surprised there isn’t a Single Female Lawyer TV version of She Hulk but with superheroics cribbing from Slott’s first run. Which is also the only great thing he did next to Spidey and Torch. Juan Bobillo was hella MVP on art tho.

That was a wonderful series, especially the first year (first two TPBs). Soule's more recent She-Hulk run was terrific as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

That was a wonderful series, especially the first year (first two TPBs). Soule's more recent She-Hulk run was terrific as well.

Yes, it's perfectly suited to a modest budgeted series, but a movie would probably be better.

I feel like reliably having a character appear seven feet tall is just a real pain in the rear end in weekly television.