Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
the nukes come after the wild sulfate spraying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

call to action posted:

Expulsion to Puerto Rico.

BTW, there's plenty of science in this article: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/climate-change-earth-too-hot-for-humans.html

Just because I don't debate your bullshit science directly doesn't make the above not real.

I looked at this website and in less then ten seconds I found something about cooking to death by a ridiculous low temperature. That kind of hysteria deletes all good of whatever science could be found there, I'd recommend ignoring this "source"

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
i dunno i think 105f and 95% humidity would prolly gently caress you up if you just sat outside for a few hours

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

self unaware posted:

i dunno i think 105f and 95% humidity would prolly gently caress you up if you just sat outside for a few hours

An air temperature of 105F will produce a dewpoint temperature of 98F if the relative humidity is at 80%, and when the dewpoint temp reaches your internal body temp, you cannot cool off by sweating anymore! So you would die within the hour I would think.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Mystic_Shadow posted:

An air temperature of 105F will produce a dewpoint temperature of 98F if the relative humidity is at 80%, and when the dewpoint temp reaches your internal body temp, you cannot cool off by sweating anymore! So you would die within the hour I would think.

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/heatindex.shtml according to this it's a heat index of 222F

sounds pretty fatal

Papal Infallibility
May 7, 2008

Stay Down Champion Stay Down

self unaware posted:

just lol if you think the countries of the world are going to do anything other than wildly spray sulfates into the air when push comes to shove

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Libluini posted:

I looked at this website and in less then ten seconds I found something about cooking to death by a ridiculous low temperature. That kind of hysteria deletes all good of whatever science could be found there, I'd recommend ignoring this "source"

I was gonna get mad at this post but then I realized a post this stupid couldn't be made in earnest, like there can't actually be climate deniers that don't even understand the basic physics of how heat transfer works

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
anyone who unironically uses the words "alarmist" "doomer" or "hysteria" is going to be a moron fyi

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
In Lagos temperatures sometimes reach 105F with average humidity >80%. It's not uninhabitable. And that's happening in "the jungles of Costa Rica", at +7C. Yeah, if it warms radically more than the worst-case scenario expects it will, Costa Rica is hosed.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Thug Lessons posted:

In Lagos temperatures sometimes reach 105F with average humidity >80%. It's not uninhabitable. And that's happening in "the jungles of Costa Rica", at +7C. Yeah, if it warms radically more than the worst-case scenario expects it will, Costa Rica is hosed.

"it's not uninhabitable" lol neither is antarctica

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
*puts on my envirosuit rated for a heat index of 200 and proper Co2 ventilation*

see guys it's fine, this is actually a growth opportunity

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

self unaware posted:

"Wet Bulb" Temperature of 35ºC (95ºF) or higher will kill you. And we've come close.

When the wet-bulb temperature reaches 35 degrees Celsius the human body can not remove heat sufficiently so undergoes thermal runaway of core body temperature leading to rapid death. Near coastlines where water temperature has recently reached 33 degrees Celsius, we are nearing this.

Two degrees away ... good, I thought we were in danger or something.

Anyway it's just people we don't care about, right?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

self unaware posted:

"it's not uninhabitable" lol neither is antarctica

It's not uninhabitable in the sense of being the largest city on earth.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

"Wet Bulb" Temperature of 35ºC (95ºF) or higher will kill you. And we've come close.

When the wet-bulb temperature reaches 35 degrees Celsius the human body can not remove heat sufficiently so undergoes thermal runaway of core body temperature leading to rapid death. Near coastlines where water temperature has recently reached 33 degrees Celsius, we are nearing this.

Two degrees away ... good, I thought we were in danger or something.

Anyway it's just people we don't care about, right?

People generally die when you leave them in water, yes. That says close to nothing about climate.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

call to action posted:

I was gonna get mad at this post but then I realized a post this stupid couldn't be made in earnest, like there can't actually be climate deniers that don't even understand the basic physics of how heat transfer works

Additionally you can tell they are too slow to even keep reading to where it actually traces out real world times that temperatures "this low" have already been proven to kill over 30,000 people in the EU heat wave of 2003:

https://www.unisdr.org/files/1145_ewheatwave.en.pdf

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
:allears: I love how I post about how the language used on that website made them sound like hysterical idiots and every single post in answer reads like old school teachers reliving their dreams of teaching again

Just so you know, you morons, my argument was that the website is bad, not that too high temperatures plus humidity is totally harmless. Yikes. If that's how you react every time someone says something you don't like, we're truly doomed because you can make a Captain Planet villain out of even the meekest environmentalist with that attitude

And I say this as someone who hates Thug Lesson's political opinions with the fury of a thousand suns, so it's not like I'm with him on this because I love him

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Libluini posted:

Just so you know, you morons, my argument was that the website is bad, not that too high temperatures plus humidity is totally harmless.
The reason you appear to be giving for thinking the website is bad is because it is saying too high temperatures plus humidity is harmful.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Thug Lessons posted:

People generally die when you leave them in water, yes. That says close to nothing about climate.

Did you major in any sciences? Where was this even implied?

95ºF Wet Bulb doesn't imply 100% humidity unless the air temperature was also 95ºF. And 100% humidity isn't being immersed in water. We see 100% humidity all the time. You know it as rain.

Maybe an explanation?

The wet-bulb temperature is the temperature read by a thermometer covered in water-soaked cloth (wet-bulb thermometer) over which air is passed.At 100% relative humidity, the wet-bulb temperature is equal to the air temperature (dry-bulb temperature) and is lower at lower humidity.

Examples:

The 2015 Indian heat wave saw wet-bulb temperatures in Andhra Pradesh reach 30 °C (86 °F).

A similar wet-bulb temperature was reached during the 1995 Chicago heat wave.

A heat wave in Iraq in August 2015 saw temperatures of 48.6 °C (119.5 °F) and a dew point of 29.5 °C (85.1 °F) in Bandar-e Mahshahr, Iran and Samawah. This implied a wet-bulb temperature of about 37.2 °C (99 °F). The government urged residents to stay out of the sun and drink plenty of water.

During the 2017 Australian Heat Wave, wet-bulb temperatures at Badgery's Creek in Western Sydney reached 31.5 °C (88.7 °F) on Feb 11 and 32 °C (90 °F) on Feb 12.

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 17, 2018

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
Hey it's no big deal, 95F wet bulbs? It's totally survivable. People in Lagos do it every day.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

Did you major in any sciences? Where was this even implied?

95ºF Wet Bulb doesn't imply 100% humidity unless the air temperature was also 95ºF.

Maybe an explanation?

The wet-bulb temperature is the temperature read by a thermometer covered in water-soaked cloth (wet-bulb thermometer) over which air is passed.At 100% relative humidity, the wet-bulb temperature is equal to the air temperature (dry-bulb temperature) and is lower at lower humidity.

Examples:

The 2015 Indian heat wave saw wet-bulb temperatures in Andhra Pradesh reach 30 °C (86 °F).

A similar wet-bulb temperature was reached during the 1995 Chicago heat wave.

A heat wave in Iraq in August 2015 saw temperatures of 48.6 °C (119.5 °F) and a dew point of 29.5 °C (85.1 °F) in Bandar-e Mahshahr, Iran and Samawah. This implied a wet-bulb temperature of about 37.2 °C (99 °F). The government urged residents to stay out of the sun and drink plenty of water.

During the 2017 Australian Heat Wave, wet-bulb temperatures at Badgery's Creek in Western Sydney reached 31.5 °C (88.7 °F) on Feb 11 and 32 °C (90 °F) on Feb 12.

No sorry, that was a misreading.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hey there, meltdownailures, I was laughing at the fact that the author thought that people dying from excessively high wet bulb temperatures is bad, I wasn't disputing the fact that it's true. Owned.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

call to action posted:

Hey there, meltdownailures, I was laughing at the fact that the author thought that people dying from excessively high wet bulb temperatures is bad, I wasn't disputing the fact that it's true. Owned.

High temperatures are terrible, especially in Lagos, and they're only going to get worse as the planet warms. That's why tropical countries need more AC. But the areas that might become uninhabitable in a high-warming scenario are in places like Saudi Arabia, not California.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

twodot posted:

The reason you appear to be giving for thinking the website is bad is because it is saying too high temperatures plus humidity is harmful.

quote:

In the jungles of Costa Rica, where humidity routinely tops 90 percent, simply moving around outside when it’s over 105 degrees Fahrenheit would be lethal. And the effect would be fast: Within a few hours, a human body would be cooked to death from both inside and out.

That's what I would expect to read on Cracked, not something I'm supposed to take seriously. The only thing missing is some sort of ridiculously morbid picture

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Libluini posted:

That's what I would expect to read on Cracked, not something I'm supposed to take seriously. The only thing missing is some sort of ridiculously morbid picture

How about you contact New York Magazine's editorial board and let them know you have Very Serious Issues with their tone, and shut the gently caress up otherwise?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

call to action posted:

How about you contact New York Magazine's editorial board and let them know you have Very Serious Issues with their tone, and shut the gently caress up otherwise?

Good thing that I posted a bunch of climate scientists doing that, to the point that NY Mag published a version of the article with their annotations.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Libluini posted:

So, like, you're literally making a semantic complaint about the word "cooked"? The Internet is telling me many proteins denature at 105.8 degrees. If we replace the bolded with "dead" does your complaint go away?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Thug Lessons posted:

High temperatures are terrible, especially in Lagos, and they're only going to get worse as the planet warms. That's why tropical countries need more AC. But the areas that might become uninhabitable in a high-warming scenario are in places like Saudi Arabia, not California.

Maybe Florida eventually.

But it won't matter because a good part of that state will be uninhabitable.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Thug Lessons posted:

I do, you're just not listening. The reason is because we've been over this before. In the 1960s we heard the famines were coming in books like Famine 1975! and The Population Bomb. President Carter addressed the nation about in a primetime address warning of the dangers of peak oil, which would set in in the 1980s and devastate the country if reliance on petroleum was maintained. The famines never came, and the oil supply never dried up. And it turns out when you look into it, these prophecies of doom go all the way back to Malthus, and arguably well beyond, with a very poor track record for accuracy. Very real problems like broad-scale ecological catastrophe become repositories for the human penchant for apocalyptic fervor. It's interesting - but only because it says something about the culture and warped psychologies that produced it, not because it says anything about the future.

Do you seriously not understand that this post is an outright admission that your beliefs are not based on science, as you so vehemently insist, but on the ideological position that humanity cannot ever do irreparable harm to the planet, and that the concept of sustainability is actually a fake idea that doesn't apply to us because we'll always invent something to fix our problems? Those famines and peak oil did not simply "never come", we got lucky enough to have someone figure out a way to fix them. Your entire reason for thinking that global human civilization is invincible is based on a couple of times that someone came along and figured a way out, rather than having any scientific reason to believe that the same thing will happen now and every time in the future.

The idea that someone was wrong about something happening in the 1800's holds literally no scientific value or relevance whatsoever, it simply supports your faith-based nonsense argument that human civilization is definitely eternal and undying.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Thug Lessons posted:

I guess you're right dude, the infuriatingly ignorant people who think we've had nearly double the warming than we've actually had are just reviewing the trends and science. Anyone who disagrees is a traitor.

'Infuriatingly ignorant' person here still wondering why you are just dismissing a paper in one of Nature's journals out of hand by using a Northern Hemisphere chart to say something about Global temperatures.

Oh, and just a note on that image you posted from the IPCC:

68 years ago at an average rate of +0.17°C,/decade +1°C would be about +1.15°C from 2017-2018 over 1950.

There's probably a reason why it's still just a draft.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

tsa posted:

lmao, you know you are in crazy land when owl of loving cream cheese manages to be a voice of reason.

lemmmmme guess, you're one of those people that "flies" in "airplanes". Your soul is fuckin' dooomed mate.

Yeah I'm not the one so skullcracked as to read "You can't fly or u should hang" into a post on "Poverty isn't defined as an inverse of conspicuous consumption and it's pretty sick/privileged if you think it is."

TL would actually be the first to point out that goods consumption isn't as significant a contributor to anthro emissions as energy essentials like conditioning, lighting, and transit; I was calling OOCC a myopic fat cat on a thread subject tangent because "poverty" and "austerity" actually mean something other than "if I consume less I'm poor."

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 18, 2018

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nymag is a good website

and no for the record I haven't flown in years. we don't need to ban flying, we just need to more accurately price it (and in doing so greatly reduce it).

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
I'd be ok with a carbon cost associated with everything based on its actual impacts (somehow) that then got funneled into renewables and some sort of sustainable zero carbon societal structure, but I'm guessing that'd get hosed up somehow. Would be nice!

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

The NY Times has a long article about agricultural land use and "carbon farming", some key quotes:

Can Dirt Save the Earth? posted:

More than one-third of earth’s ice-free surface is devoted to agriculture, meaning that much of it is already managed intensively. Carbon farming’s fundamental conceit is that if we change how we treat this land, we could turn huge areas of the earth’s surface into a carbon sponge. Instead of relying solely on technology to remove greenhouse gases from the air, we could harness an ancient and natural process, photosynthesis, to pump carbon into what’s called the pedosphere, the thin skin of living soil at the earth’s surface. If adopted widely enough, such practices could, in theory, begin to remove billions of tons of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, nudging us toward a less perilous climate trajectory than our current one.

In a 2016 paper, Pete Smith, a soil scientist at the University of Aberdeen in Scotland, and the influential climate scientist James Hansen argued that land-management practices are one of the few affordable options available today for drawing down carbon. “What’s surprising to me is that we’ve not done it sooner,” says Smith, who is also a lead author on a recent U.N. report that explores carbon-dioxide-removal technologies. “This has the potential to make a huge difference.” Otherwise, Hansen told me, we’re leaving the problem to our grandchildren. “That assumption that somehow young people, and people later this century, are going to figure out how to suck it out of the air — that’s a pretty big burden to place on them,” he said.

The I.P.C.C. is preparing a special report on climate change and land use, to be finalized in 2019, that will consider in greater detail the potential of sequestering carbon in soil. But for now the biggest international effort to promote carbon farming is a French-led initiative called “four per 1,000.” The proposal aims to increase the amount of carbon in the soil of crop- and rangelands by 0.4 percent per year through a variety of agricultural and forestry practices. These include agroforestry (growing trees and crops together increases carbon retention), no-till agriculture (plowing causes erosion and carbon loss) and keeping farmland covered (bare dirt bleeds carbon). Doing so, the French argue, could completely halt the buildup of atmospheric carbon dioxide.

Few experts I spoke to think the impact would be quite that grand; Pete Smith, for example, estimates that soil could, at the most, store just 13 percent of annual carbon-dioxide emissions at current levels. “I appreciate that everyone wants to save the planet,” he told me, “but we shouldn’t fool ourselves that this is all we need to do.”
Critics of regenerative agriculture say that it can’t be adopted broadly and intensively enough to matter — or that if it can, the prices of commodities might be affected unfavorably. Mark Bradford, a professor of soils and ecosystem ecology at Yale, questions what he sees as a quasi-religious belief in the benefits of soil carbon. The recommendation makes sense intuitively, he told me. But the extent to which carbon increases crop yield hasn’t been quantified, making it somewhat “faith-based.”
But it is California, already in the vanguard on climate-mitigation efforts, that has led the way on carbon farming. By 2050, the state aims to reduce greenhouse-gas emissions to 20 percent of what they were in 1990. Nearly half its 58 counties have farmers and ranchers at various stages of developing and implementing carbon-farming plans.
Still, given the energy requirements, the logistical headaches and the cost, skeptics question whether spreading compost across extensive portions of the world’s surface — including conflict zones in the Sahel or Central Asia — is really feasible. Even if it is, soils probably can’t soak up carbon indefinitely. If they have a saturation point, increases in carbon will eventually stop when that moment is reached. And because soil degradation can cause the release of whatever carbon it holds, treated lands would have to be well cared for in perpetuity.

The article is a little fluffy but at least provides an overview of "carbon farming" practices and some of the related issues for dumb people like me who have only heard of it as a buzzword. Also a Hansen quote! Aside from there being a lot of hype, the main problem I see is the complexity in mandating these practices across the entire agricultural sector. Unless the financial benefits are significant widespread adoption seems unlikely ie it has the same scaling problem as any other form of mitigation.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
That's interesting. Economically integrate countermeasures into existing practices. We need to do that anywhere and everywhere we can and ^that^ looks like a big one.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
lol "if" soil has a carbon saturation point. I'm no scientist, but I'm guessing there is in fact a limit to the amount of carbon a finite amount of a physical substance can absorb.

Accretionist posted:

That's interesting. Economically integrate countermeasures into existing practices. We need to do that anywhere and everywhere we can and ^that^ looks like a big one.

Well, it's thirteen percent of current carbon emissions. Which need to get to zero. Which then need to get to net negative as the aerosol effect dissipates. "Big" isn't the word I'd choose.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Nocturtle posted:

The NY Times has a long article about agricultural land use and "carbon farming", some key quotes:

The article is a little fluffy but at least provides an overview of "carbon farming" practices and some of the related issues for dumb people like me who have only heard of it as a buzzword. Also a Hansen quote! Aside from there being a lot of hype, the main problem I see is the complexity in mandating these practices across the entire agricultural sector. Unless the financial benefits are significant widespread adoption seems unlikely ie it has the same scaling problem as any other form of mitigation.

Animal Agriculture contributes to climate effects at about the same level as transportation.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

call to action posted:

"Big" isn't the word I'd choose.

Unless someone invents a 'Silver Bullet,' I think stuff like this is what will pass for big.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

call to action posted:

Well, it's thirteen percent of current carbon emissions. Which need to get to zero. Which then need to get to net negative as the aerosol effect dissipates. "Big" isn't the word I'd choose.

ASSUMING we decarbonize humanity must still sequester a minimum ~5Gt CO2 per year going forward if we're seriously trying to avoid catastrophic warming, which is ~10% of current emissions. This is actually on the same scale for the amount of negative emissions required after achieving zero emissions, and doesn't require building a crazy pie-in they sky subcontinent-scale BECCS farms or other tech-oriented solutions. So in that sense it's "big". Of course it doesn't last indefinitely as the soil saturates, but I thought it was interesting how relatively simple changes in agricultural practices could very optimistically achieve this scale of sequestration. Unfortunately it requires farmers + investors to think about land other than as a means to profit, which is not business as usual.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not saying it's not worth pursuing, but ultimately it not only has small extractive potential, its effectiveness literally declines to useless over time. Remind me how long we're going to need to extract those five gigatons per year?

Like, if these are the solutions that James Hansen is throwing his name behind, I really have to question his issue with 'doomist framing' because he clearly accepts the scale of the solutions required and yet points to this as a component

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

Animal Agriculture contributes to climate effects at about the same level as transportation.

That might be true worldwide, the estimates vary, but it's definitely not true in industrialized countries. In the US agriculture makes up 9% of human emissions, which is less than 1/3 that of transportation.