Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

this is not entirely true. there is still a shitload of profit in imaging and other tests. again though its a provider side issue and not insurance
this is not entirely true. doctors are being encouraged to bill tests to try and game the fees the insurance company pays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

the fees are limited by law. in my case these are self-funded claims, ie:

you break your leg. the hospital wants to charge $28k. we say "gently caress off, we negotiated $10k" and we pay this $10k claim. we then bill your employer $10k and a small administrative fee on top of that.

the value add is that we've got negotiated prices with providers.

another thing that might help is disallowing providers to bill patients and only let them collect from insurance.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bhodi posted:

this is not entirely true. doctors are being encouraged to bill tests to try and game the fees the insurance company pays

if your provider is committing this fraud its because they are lining their own pockets and have no interest in helping you. you should report them as in addition to the fraud they are likely putting patients at risk through medically unnecessary tests.

insurance companies do not play games so much as they clearly state their payment structures and expect providers not to file fraudulent claims

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

a significantly better deal would be a generous defined benefit like 4 weeks vacation annually, coupled with unlimited sick time - why do you think something like that's not popular instead with these companies

because there's literally not enough cash on hand for employees * 4w

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

sonatinas posted:

it’s called a physician assistant

that's way better than the job named after what boobs do

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

if anyone should die it would be hospital administrators and CMS

hell yeah

also medical insurance reps/salesmen

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

JawnV6 posted:

rest of the world manages it somehow

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also pharma reps and brokers.

so loving excited for amazon to eliminate every other retail pharmacy

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

also pharma reps and brokers.

so loving excited for amazon to eliminate every other retail pharmacy

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/985973678209994752

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no, but if you wish to cut healthcare costs, the first step is to cut wages of healthcare workers

what other reason is there to nationalize?

i'm sure that healthcare worker wages are the reason why a two-minute x-ray costs two hundred bucks, or why a bottle of prescription pills can cost several thousand dollars

the problem is that the health industry is packed full of middlemen who are so busy trying to milk maximum profit out of each other that they don't even notice that suppliers are jacking up prices at every opportunity with the expectation that the cost will all fall on those middlemen

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

JawnV6 posted:

yeah, this is what i was told as to why companies like unlimited policies... because you need to keep the cash on hand for each employee * what theyve accrued when its a defined benefit

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

rest of the world manages it somehow

it's not "popular" because they're poo poo companies, are you disagreeing or just posting too fast to read

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

JawnV6 posted:

it's not "popular" because they're poo poo companies, are you disagreeing or just posting too fast to read

they're "popular" in every country not america where weeks of paid vacation are mandated by law

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

PokeJoe posted:

Work sucks, someone give me a lot of money so I can retire

i recommend lottery.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

well poo poo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
mike started a housing column and wow seattle really seems to be on-track to challenge the bay area for insanity

https://twitter.com/ByRosenberg/status/986282771575324672

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

WTF is a Jiggle?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they're "popular" in every country not america where weeks of paid vacation are mandated by law
dude you asked the question, are you really putting your own words in scare quotes here

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Agile Vector posted:

a sensible work from home when sick policy exists and we still have people come in dog tired sick, which makes even less sense

lol us older employees had to basically bully a new young guy to take sick leave when he came to the office with a (mild) cold.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

my bitter bi rival posted:

yeah, this is what i was told as to why companies like unlimited policies... because you need to keep the cash on hand for each employee * what theyve accrued when its a defined benefit

If this is true wouldn't it literally be changeable via the FASAB updating GAAP?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

JawnV6 posted:

dude you asked the question, are you really putting your own words in scare quotes here

are you really missing the point this badly that "unlimited" vacation is a total scam

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

mike started a housing column and wow seattle really seems to be on-track to challenge the bay area for insanity

https://twitter.com/ByRosenberg/status/986282771575324672

they're high because 500k is still super affordable compared to california and still super affordable on typical (even low-ish paid) computer toucher salaryl, especially if ur a DINKY

it wont be until they've reached 1million allcash that it'll stop growing because thats finally on par with california and out of range of dinky computer touchers

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/Clean-up-San-Francisco-s-streets-tourist-12839281.php read the comments lol

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Wheany posted:

lol us older employees had to basically bully a new young guy to take sick leave when he came to the office with a (mild) cold.

Hey, buddy, you've got a cold? I'd sure be a... shame if this bottle of ghost pepper sauce somehow marinated that Kleenex box you've got there!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

they're high because 500k is still super affordable compared to california and still super affordable on typical (even low-ish paid) computer toucher salaryl, especially if ur a DINKY

it wont be until they've reached 1million allcash that it'll stop growing because thats finally on par with california and out of range of dinky computer touchers

absolutely and it looks like they're burning for that price point inside of like 3 years at (zillow's, not sure who else's) projected rates of increase

average home value increased by nearly 20% last year which is particularly nuts since they were building like crazy

lol we almost moved there this year

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that's weird, I didn't know you could get paid for flopping all over my face and in my mouth

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

that's weird, I didn't know you could get paid for getting cancer and killing women

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

absolutely and it looks like they're burning for that price point inside of like 3 years at (zillow's, not sure who else's) projected rates of increase

average home value increased by nearly 20% last year which is particularly nuts since they were building like crazy

lol we almost moved there this year

the cool thing is also every other moneyed-enough-joe or investors or foreign buyers or REIT's or w/e know this so they're rising super fast to get there because it's inevitable at this point, and if its inevitable then gently caress ya take those sick 20% yoy gains for the next 3 years, buy it up now!!

its a nice positive feedback loop

Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

they're high because 500k is still super affordable ... on typical (even low-ish paid) computer toucher salaryl, especially if ur a DINKY

lol let me stop you there

under HUD guidelines $500k isn't affordable below about $150k a year. that's 88th percentile in the US.

$500k isn't "super affordable".

(keep in mind the median household income in the US is $56k a year and the median home sale price is $247700, ie, housing is already out of reach for a typical family in the country as a whole.)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
absolutely. america is hosed.

but im refering to the typical doughy white computer touchers moving away from lynchbrowns, okhlahoma or w/e to the coasts making even 80k+ starting, not the guys working at walmart or changing tires. dinky-ing it up bringing home at least 150k a year is more than enough for a 10-20% downpayment on a 500k house in just a couple of years. even not dinky-ing it's still affordable to get enough to put down a 10-20% down within a short time frame.

contrast to this, everything in the bay area is all-cash offers 1mill+, even in the shittiest parts 2 hr commutes away each-way it's still like 500k , and in the mean time while you're busy renting you're dumping 30k-50k+ a year in rent alone even making it further impossible to save up a downpayment.

Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

absolutely. america is hosed.

but im refering to the typical doughy white computer touchers moving away from lynchbrowns, okhlahoma or w/e to the coasts making even 80k+ starting, not the guys working at walmart or changing tires. dinky-ing it up bringing home at least 150k a year is more than enough for a 20% downpayment on a 500k house in just a couple of years tops. even not dinky-ing it's still affordable to get enough to put down a 10-20% down within a short time frame.

contrast to this, everything in the bay area is all-cash offers 1mill+, even in the shittiest parts 2 hr commutes away each-way it's still like 500k , and in the mean time while you're busy renting you're dumping 30k-50k+ a year in rent alone even making it further impossible to save up a downpayment.

$500k isn't affordable on two $80k incomes.

Apr 7, 2003

what I'm getting at here is that your perception of home affordability is warped to gently caress.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

If this is true wouldn't it literally be changeable via the FASAB updating GAAP?

*in knowing what that means voice* Yes.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Xaris posted:

the cool thing is also every other moneyed-enough-joe or investors or foreign buyers or REIT's or w/e know this so they're rising super fast to get there because it's inevitable at this point, and if its inevitable then gently caress ya take those sick 20% yoy gains for the next 3 years, buy it up now!!

its a nice positive feedback loop

yea it huffs dicks

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

it's totally affordable just take it out of your retirement savings...who needs that anyways am i right

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

its cool that it took less than 10 years to create another housing bubble though

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Chicago changed the law mid year so that companies must provide at least 5 days of sick time and you can rollover up to 2.5 days. I told my manager about the change and he looked into it - payroll has no idea how to deal with calculating it for this first half year, so they are giving us 2.5 days of extra sick time for 2018 only (according to my manager). I haven't seen a company-wide announcement about it (I wonder why...) so I may be one of the only people who knows about this, and I intend to take full advantage. My only minor misstep is I didn't get it in writing from my manager

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Wheany posted:

i recommend lottery.
agreed

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

under HUD guidelines $500k isn't affordable below about $150k a year.

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

for what it's worth, my wife and I make about $140k a year. works out to $7250 a month net or $87k a year, which makes us affluent in most places.

if we put away 50% of everything we made and lived as cheaply as possible (because CoL is going to be high in a place where housing starts at $500k) you're looking at saving enough for a down payment (no closing costs) in 28 months. assuming no emergencies, no unexpected expenses, and ignoring that they're aiming at a target that's increasing by 20% a year. and we're fortunate compared to most Americans.

the fact of the matter is that young people aren't buying without parental help.