Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
At most, a squad will get 4-5 Poxwalkers back, and usually lose more than that number in the process.

£5 these pissbabies never actually play, just read 1d4chan tactics pages theorise endlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

At most, a squad will get 4-5 Poxwalkers back, and usually lose more than that number in the process.

£5 these pissbabies never actually play, just read 1d4chan tactics pages theorise endlessly.

I'd put money that they play, but probably not as competitively as they think. Most of these people are probably those that bought into this army to wreck causal 40k night at their lgs (against people who probably brought more casual lists anyway), and are now whining that they have to find a new army/play fair.

I've always gotten the feeling from other games that the actual tournament players tend to expect these changes and move on, rather than bemoan the fact that their bandwagon list got nerfed.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Mef989 posted:

I just chalk this up to being what happens when you buy into an army based on abusing an interaction rather than rule of cool. I prefer to play what I enjoy and get more from learning a few armies well rather than switching to the new flavor of the month.

I'll argue that the army built on an ever increasing zombie horde was extremely cool.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Still trying to fathom the idea of having enough time to buy, assemble, paint, and then ragequit an army.

I haven't painted in two weeks because of work. :(

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
They typically don't do the third part. At least, not to a level anyone above a preschooler would be proud of.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Artum posted:

I'll argue that the army built on an ever increasing zombie horde was extremely cool.

It totally is, I'll give you that. But I'd guess the people crying the loudest didn't build it for that reason. My question is though (since I don't actually know DG that well), are poxwalkers actually unusable now e.g. conscripts, or just toned down?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SteelMentor posted:

They typically don't do the third part. At least, not to a level anyone above a preschooler would be proud of.

Fair point, although the Power of Dip is strong.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Still trying to fathom the idea of having enough time to buy, assemble, paint, and then ragequit an army.

I've found my local GW store's escalation league every month really motivates me to paint [250 points in the two days before league day]

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Mef989 posted:

It totally is, I'll give you that. But I'd guess the people crying the loudest didn't build it for that reason. My question is though (since I don't actually know DG that well), are poxwalkers actually unusable now e.g. conscripts, or just toned down?

They lost a maybe sometimes cool bonus. They're still a shockingly cost-effective tarpit king.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Fair point, although the Power of Dip is strong.

I was staggered when I found out how well that stuff actually works, I was under the impression they were just dunking poo poo in nuln oil equivalents.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Lol at people ragequitting Nurgle's perfect round bois. Guess ill be able pick stuff up on the cheap now.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
My plan for my next army is likely Salamanders. My question is, would it be a mistake to not field Tactical Marines? I assume they're perfect for the Chapter Tactic, since I can throw a bunch of special and heavy weapons into 5-man tactical squads and maximize the effectiveness of re-rolls. But I don't have enough experience to know if what I'm thinking actually translates well to the game.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
How could such angry people own such happy boys

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

The Sex Cannon posted:

That's a good idea!

You could set up a voice mail box and have us leave salty messages for replay on the pod.

God all these ninnys just need to buy a new army like they did with DG.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Neurolimal posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any big unit leader roles in chaos this Khornish lass could fill?

Considering swapping my third model choice to her from this tzeentchish gal:

Who would be used as a sorceror (preferably on a disc, to look extra cool), because you dont need geneseed to shoot mind bullets. Either one wont see much use for a long while, since Chaos isn't the army I'm working towards.

Where is this from? :google: just turns up some Catholic school in Chicago that closed. :(

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Artum posted:

I was staggered when I found out how well that stuff actually works, I was under the impression they were just dunking poo poo in nuln oil equivalents.

Bad dipping is just as bad as bad painting.

On a ten point scale of painted models, bad dipping I'd probably in the 0-1 range.

Good dipping probably caps out at a 7 or so. I am hoping to accomplish that with my 120 Bloodblooders for AoS.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

Where is this from? :google: just turns up some Catholic school in Chicago that closed. :(

Heresy Lab, a kickstarter that ended recently but is still allowing buy-ins:

http://www.heresylab.com

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

SteelMentor posted:

They lost a maybe sometimes cool bonus. They're still a shockingly cost-effective tarpit king.

Is there a place in a list for cultists that also has poxwalkers? I don't see as much talk about cultists and plaguebearers and assume poxwalkers are the best. But I haven't done much theory or played at all yet.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

Yeah the results are pretty awesome, and I've seen a bunch of techniques that take it up to an even higher level.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
The poxwalker thing was legitimately overpowered in the right shell and I’m glad it’s dead (without even being made useless for “normal” games - genuinely good job GW!).

People whining about it are sad that they can no longer play something overpowered while still telling themselves that its totally fair. Long years of reading TCG forums suggests that this particular confluence of circumstances produces the purest kind of triple distilled salt when its taken away.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

goodness posted:

Is there a place in a list for cultists that also has poxwalkers? I don't see as much talk about cultists and plaguebearers and assume poxwalkers are the best. But I haven't done much theory or played at all yet.

Cultists aren't much cheaper for access to guns and they take morale tests, so they're a lot easier to clean out. The big advantage of poxwalkers is needing to kill every model to get rid of the unit.

Plaguebearers seem ok, but they're not Death Guard, so you need to summon them or use detachment shenanigans to get them without breaking the legion bonus.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Should I start looking for deals on Death Guard to fill out my army thanks to the salt? I'm good on plague marines and poxwalkers but could use basically anything else.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

One_Wing posted:

People whining about it are sad that they can no longer play something overpowered while still telling themselves that its totally fair. Long years of reading TCG forums suggests that this particular confluence of circumstances produces the purest kind of triple distilled salt when its taken away.

My first though when I started seeing all of these ragequit sales was the MtG Splinter Twin ban in modern. Those were some extra salty tears. I even played UR Twin at the time, but like a normal person shrugged and moved on to other decks.

chutche2 posted:

Should I start looking for deals on Death Guard to fill out my army thanks to the salt? I'm good on plague marines and poxwalkers but could use basically anything else.

Couple of the lots I've seen had a decent amount of other units, though Plague Marines and Poxwalkers were definitely top. Most people seem to think that they are going to be able to sell the army as a lot though.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

ro5s posted:

Cultists aren't much cheaper for access to guns and they take morale tests, so they're a lot easier to clean out. The big advantage of poxwalkers is needing to kill every model to get rid of the unit.

Plaguebearers seem ok, but they're not Death Guard, so you need to summon them or use detachment shenanigans to get them without breaking the legion bonus.

But isn't there a chaos thing that allows cultists to fire 2x? Seems like cheaper + guns matters a lot when looking at the volume of dice being rolled.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

It’s worth mentioning if you want some cheap, modular and easy to store terrain, I picked up the Moon Base Klaisus Realm of Battle last year, and it’s really good considering it’s £50.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Realm-Of-Battle-Moon-Base-Klaisus-2017

Going to get some Necron terrain and use the other side of the board in the future hopefully.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

But isn't there a chaos thing that allows cultists to fire 2x? Seems like cheaper + guns matters a lot when looking at the volume of dice being rolled.

I've no idea about Chaos, I've not got that codex, it's not an option for pure Death Guard though.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Endless Cacophony, but that works for any slaanesh marked unit.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Lord Ludikrous posted:

It’s worth mentioning if you want some cheap, modular and easy to store terrain, I picked up the Moon Base Klaisus Realm of Battle last year, and it’s really good considering it’s £50.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Realm-Of-Battle-Moon-Base-Klaisus-2017

Going to get some Necron terrain and use the other side of the board in the future hopefully.

I hate these things. You're better off just buying individual sets of the ruins. The thing isn't even a full 4 x 6.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone have recommendations for purple paint rattlecans? I've just accepted all my custodes will end up purple eventually so I figure I can save time and a bit of cash just using a decent spray for the base.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

S.J. posted:

I hate these things. You're better off just buying individual sets of the ruins. The thing isn't even a full 4 x 6.

I think what you get relative to it’s cost is really very good - an Imperial Sector Realm of Battle board without any buildings runs for £200, and the slight size reduction compared to the standard size really isn’t noticeable. Plus it’s easy to store it in its box and chuck it in my car and take it over a friends place.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Honestly my favorite part of the FAQ so far has been people trying to figure out loopholes in the deepstriking rules like they're attorneys trying to find any minutia in the rules that will let them do what they want.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I think what you get relative to it’s cost is really very good - an Imperial Sector Realm of Battle board without any buildings runs for £200, and the slight size reduction compared to the standard size really isn’t noticeable. Plus it’s easy to store it in its box and chuck it in my car and take it over a friends place.

I mean, the board doesn't cover a standard 6x4 gaming table which is inherently pretty noticeable. It's a great buy for people new to the hobby but for those of us that like to play 2000pt games it doesn't seem particularly appropriate.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

Honestly my favorite part of the FAQ so far has been people trying to figure out loopholes in the deepstriking rules like they're attorneys trying to find any minutia in the rules that will let them do what they want.

Do the new rules also limit DS like effects such as Gate of Infinity?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Mef989 posted:

Do the new rules also limit DS like effects such as Gate of Infinity?

Current consensus seems to be that any stratagem that affects a unit already deployed on the board is kosher. If the DS requires you stash them in reserves instead of deployment then it's affected.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I haven't painted in two years because of babies :(

How are Ad Mech with no Skitarii? I always try to go as low a model count as possible due to the aforementioned lack of painting time, so was thinking of just using Katephron destroyers for my troops.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Lord Ludikrous posted:

For $80 you get a mat that's not standard sized, and nowhere near enough terrain to fill it. I agree the realm of battle boards are expensive and fairly big, but you can get a neoprene mat for between $60 and $75 (unfortunately the FLG sale ended yesterday where they were $56), which actually covers the full size of the board, and then you can supplement with either that terrain ($30 buys you the same amount of stuff as in the moon base box) or other ruins/mdf terrain/sector mechanicus/whatever. I strongly reccomend MDF shipping containers, they're a good size for LOS blocking and are appropriate on any battlefield.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lungboy posted:

I haven't painted in two years because of babies :(

Children are the worst.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm looking for an option that's cheaper than £16 on forgeworld for an Imperial Fists transfer sheet.

Anyone have tips?

Just buy it, the forgeworld transfers are pretty awesome.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Children are the worst.

They need juice occasionally, which is super annoying since that money could go to new releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

They need juice occasionally, which is super annoying since that money could go to new releases.

Juice is bad for their teeth. Really those deadbeat parents are doing them a favor