Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol here's a 6LDK + 4S. The S are the 3-tatami rooms (6x9 feet) that don't count as bedrooms because they're too small or you need to walk through them to access the 2nd loving staircase. gently caress this house, this is why people tear down old houses and rebuild instead of trying to remodel the old family labyrinth.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

DIY & Hobbies › Crappy Construction Tales: Designed like an avant-garde deathtrap

Thread seems overdue for a new title and this is a good one

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

I dunno, DIY & Hobbies › Crappy Construction Tales: Time to remodel the old family labyrinth also sounds like it could be a contender.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
Another horrible thing about all those glass stairs is having to windex your loving stairs.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
At least they make clear grit tape, but still.

Farmdizzle posted:

Another horrible thing about all those glass stairs is having to windex your loving stairs.

DIY & Hobbies › Crappy Construction Tales: Time to Windex my staircase

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Want to see those stairs after five years of renting it out.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Is it possible they're made of the type of toughened internally stressed glass that can randomly detonate? A good thing to find out in the middle of the night in the dark.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I kinda want to know what the hell is down the lower flight of stairs. The sun?

e: a set of stairs, made entirely from Prince Rupert drops

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wait I want to change my title entry to "Crappy Construction Tales: a Prince Rupert drop staircase."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TTerrible posted:

Is it possible they're made of the type of toughened internally stressed glass that can randomly detonate? A good thing to find out in the middle of the night in the dark.

That’s tempered glass, and it’s what they should use because it’s stronger.

But it needs to be laminated because it’s vulnerable to scratches and when it and if it does break, you don’t want it to catastrophically and leave you plunging a full storey.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

At least they make clear grit tape, but still.

This would look like poo poo by the first week. It’s going to trap so much grime.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

wesleywillis posted:

Totally, just think of all the food court goons, sitting there, eating cheetos drinking mountain dew, fighting over the table under the clear glass stairs so they can just happen to look up as a girl with a skirt comes down.....
You've never seen terror until you've seen a girl in a skirt spot a glass floor. And you've never seen joy until you've seen a guy in a utilikilt do the same.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I guess it works, but ugh.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Which home depot aisle are the non-euclidean electrical boxes?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

glynnenstein posted:

Which home depot aisle are the non-euclidean electrical boxes?

√-1, or 8 3/4, I can never remember

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

TheLastManStanding posted:

Staggered see-through cantilevered steps and no handrail with the added bonus of being able to miss the floor and fall down a second flight of stairs.

I mean, Jesus, I'm used to this thread delivering terrible design and implementation, but I can't even begin to fathom the sheer number of those ways that someone could injure themselves on those stairs. Slipping and falling simply due to bad design, potentially massive lacerations from tripping and hitting an edge (even when not even on the stairs in the first place, just walking past), tripping and catching a leg in the open space on the fall and shattering the trapped limb on the way down, misstepping and falling down the goddamned stairwell underneath it, the list goes on and on.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I like to imagine that the steps slide in and out of the wall in a preset pattern that you have to memorize so you can skitter up and down at the exact right moment, like a classic platformer.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I'm not sure I could do anything resembling "skittering up and down" those even without them moving.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Want to see those stairs after five years of renting it out.

It's a moot issue. You would lose the property within a year after the lawsuit because someone died falling down the stairs.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

DIY & Hobbies › Crappy Construction Tales: Time to Windex my staircase
not emptyquoting

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I guess it works, but ugh.

Is there a better solution to this besides making a flat spot or moving the light over to where it's off center?

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

I guess cleaning under this one isnt such a issue, because the loving maid will do it.
But it would sure as poo poo suck dropping ones keys/phone/pet through them.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

fist4jesus posted:

I guess cleaning under this one isnt such a issue, because the loving maid will do it.
But it would sure as poo poo suck dropping ones keys/phone/pet through them.

I read that with a comma after the ones. Those stairs do make a lot more sense in the context of having strippers perform on them.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Locator posted:

I read that with a comma after the ones. Those stairs do make a lot more sense in the context of having strippers perform on them.

Talk about needing to Windex the stairs...

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
The second, taller glass wall stops before it hits the back red wall, so you can get behind/under the lower stairs.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

TheLastManStanding posted:

Staggered see-through cantilevered steps and no handrail with the added bonus of being able to miss the floor and fall down a second flight of stairs.

Forcing users to crawl or die mirrors the options available to underclass individuals in an increasingly feudalistic capitalist society.

Those who chose to walk will be maimed by bourgeois bullshit. They will be laughed at by the crawlers, who are--in truth--making the only rational choice.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

It is the same with slippery, glass-enclosed stairs. We see and laugh at the struggles of helpless bastards trying to navigate such challenges. We appreciate that we are not them despite the fact that we, too, will have to take those stairs.

This is not crappy construction. This is art.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > DIY & Hobbies > Crappy Construction Tales: This is not crappy construction. This is art.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

I want to change it to "this is not a death trap. this is art." but i didn't think to do so before you responded. :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Polio Vax Scene posted:

I just noticed the final step at the top is just a triangle, hope you don't try and use your left foot! :rip:

Look at the way the steps protrude from the wall. They're flat with respect to the floor, but come out of the wall at alternating angles. You have to start off on your left foot and alternate or else.

Kind of like how that one works, but less obvious (?)

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'm not sure I could do anything resembling "skittering up and down" those even without them moving.

QFT

peanut posted:

Lol here's a 6LDK + 4S. The S are the 3-tatami rooms (6x9 feet) that don't count as bedrooms because they're too small or you need to walk through them to access the 2nd loving staircase. gently caress this house, this is why people tear down old houses and rebuild instead of trying to remodel the old family labyrinth.

I sure wish American realtors would include floor plans in listings. I could nope out of a lot of houses real quick when looking.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Omg you're right they don't :aaa: Is it a security thing, or just laziness???? (Japan has a serious advantage with the tatami mat system. It's easy for realtors to measure and easy for customers to visualize.)

peanut fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 18, 2018

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

peanut posted:

Omg you're right they don't :aaa: Is it a security thing, or just laziness???? (Japan has a serious advantage with the tatami mat system. It's easy for realtors to measure and easy for customers to visualize.)

If realtors listed floor plans as often as they should, house hunting would be just too easy.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

peanut posted:

Probably just an :effort: thing since it would require a loooooot of measuring.

Post poste posted:

If realtors listed floor plans as often as they should, house hunting would be just too easy.

:agreed:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
There are phone apps you can basically plug in your height and point them at the corners to get a pretty decent layout of each room. Shouldn't take THAT long to get something that roughly resembles reality.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s so much money involved in a real estate transaction. So what if takes a bit of labour?

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Post poste posted:

It would have saved us so much time house hunting. We went through like 15 houses that the listing was either straight up wrong or misleading. Including one that claimed 2 bedrooms where the second bedroom was 8x10 and had the stairway to the master bedroom in it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

It would have saved us so much time house hunting. We went through like 15 houses that the listing was either straight up wrong or misleading. Including one that claimed 2 bedrooms where the second bedroom was 8x10 and had the stairway to the master bedroom in it.

Was 8′×10′ feet the actual usable floor space or does that include the footprint of the stairs?

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Platystemon posted:

Was 8′×10′ feet the actual usable floor space or does that include the footprint of the stairs?

Including the stairs. If you were lucky you could fit a futon in there.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Post poste posted:

And they would never get a chance to try and hard sell you on a crappy house.