Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

willie_dee posted:

Hang on whats a wrist lock? Where you bend someone's hand in on itself?

As an aside

https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBeltBrazilianJiuJitsu/videos/2069476576400503/

Very satisfying self defence.

I thought that was going to get ugly until she started throwing the knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Liquid Communism posted:

I thought that was going to get ugly until she started throwing the knees.

Oooooh this sounds like a new thread title!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Does anyone have any recommendations for gloves that can take the place of hand wraps? I'm doing muay thai and looking for something I can get on quickly and wash easily.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for gloves that can take the place of hand wraps? I'm doing muay thai and looking for something I can get on quickly and wash easily.

if you're hitting anything with any sort of force and repetition, please do not get those weird thin lil bag gloves or whatever they call them, they are a criminal product and will make your wrists explode. once you get the hang of wrapping it is a very quick process and you can throw most in the laundry & hang dry

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Wangsbig posted:

if you're hitting anything with any sort of force and repetition, please do not get those weird thin lil bag gloves or whatever they call them, they are a criminal product and will make your wrists explode. once you get the hang of wrapping it is a very quick process and you can throw most in the laundry & hang dry

I'm wearing 14oz gloves, I'm just looking for some type of support glove for wearing under the glove (does that make any sense?).

I know that wraps are the best option, I'm asking if anyone has any recommendations on the 2nd best option.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

spacetoaster posted:

I'm wearing 14oz gloves, I'm just looking for some type of support glove for wearing under the glove (does that make any sense?).

I know that wraps are the best option, I'm asking if anyone has any recommendations on the 2nd best option.

This is one of those situations where second-best is so far behind that it's not worth mentioning. I knew one guy who bought those gel knuckle under glove gloves and they broke instantly and hurt his wrists.

Get a lingerie bag for washing them.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I have the gel wraps and they add padding but no support whatsoever. For bag work they're not helpful imo.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

CommonShore posted:

This is one of those situations where second-best is so far behind that it's not worth mentioning. I knew one guy who bought those gel knuckle under glove gloves and they broke instantly and hurt his wrists.

Get a lingerie bag for washing them.

Ok. I'll just try and get better/faster at wrapping before training.

Also, the net bag is a good idea.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

spacetoaster posted:

(does that make any sense?).

Having support under a glove makes sense. Trying to achieve that support with one of the quick/velcro produts does not.

I find the 1-minute process of wrapping up my hand an effective part of the ritual of going from daily life into that focused training/sparring mentality.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Hand wrapping is badass and I wish BJJ had an equivalently cool preparation ceremony. Belt tying is close but doesn't make me recite the speech from gladiator in my head.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Xguard86 posted:

Hand wrapping is badass and I wish BJJ had an equivalently cool preparation ceremony. Belt tying is close but doesn't make me recite the speech from gladiator in my head.

Clipping your nails?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

Taping your fingers?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

i feel extremely cool when I do that weird lil crab squat motion to fully fit into my spats

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Xguard86 posted:

That's awesome I'm doing this in future

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

willie_dee posted:

That's awesome I'm doing this in future

willie no it was ironic

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Hang on which speech in Gladiator? I'll modify it a bit, "owner to a stolen moped" etc etv

mewse
May 2, 2006

Wangsbig posted:

willie no it was ironic

lmfao

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Wangsbig posted:

willie no it was ironic

I'll ask the guys I train with what they do and report back. Fairly sure this Welsh ex Olympian I train with will have a variety of pre warm up speeches he says to himself.

Thanks thread, always learning, stay humble, stay vigilant, stay woke.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Hang on which speech in Gladiator? I'll modify it a bit, "owner to a stolen moped" etc etv

I think you should stick with Braveheart.

"You may take my life, but you'll never take my moped"

JaySB fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 17, 2018

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
That is probably more in tune with reality you are right

Garvey
Jul 19, 2010
I'm thinking of buying a new BJJ gi if anyone has any suggestions? Something fairly lightweight, and preferably not super expensive, less than £80 or so. Thanks!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Garvey posted:

I'm thinking of buying a new BJJ gi if anyone has any suggestions? Something fairly lightweight, and preferably not super expensive, less than £80 or so. Thanks!

I loved my old Koral and Fuji gis. Never had issues with them personally.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Garvey posted:

My wife, and I, use this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CFVA02O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It really good. I recommend buying the next size up and letting it shrink in the wash.

CommonShore, I got a washbag today and it worked great. Thanks for the idea.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

willie_dee posted:

Hang on whats a wrist lock? Where you bend someone's hand in on itself?

As an aside

https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBeltBrazilianJiuJitsu/videos/2069476576400503/

Very satisfying self defence.

Another angle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJPm3rrZB5Q

And a news article: https://www.bullshido.net/a-tale-of-two-knees-growth-and-family/

quote:

“Since I was the only girl in the house and my foster dad worked all the time he wanted me to be able to protect myself outside the house. So he put me in Karate and mixed martial arts and I trained at Ramtown Karate in Dixon for about 4-5 years. They taught me most everything I know; including the knees. Those were always my favorite.”

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 18, 2018

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Favorite techniques being the ones you use the most -- checks out.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

kimbo305 posted:

Tapping??

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

kimbo305 posted:

I'm not sure how well asking my opponent to hold on a minute while I adjust my cup would work out in a self-defense situation

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

one of the many reasons I do not wear a cup. i've rendered my balls impervious to pain through years of hard grappling. go ahead bitch, knee cut to your heart's content. they are useless to me now

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
https://i.imgur.com/k2sI155.gifv

What kind of take down is this? I kinda use it myself because my wrestling is so garbage and I'd love to go to my next mma gym and say I want to practice and get good at xyz.

I really miss training, I moved house recently and my old mma gym is too far away to go, but there's a pro gym near my house that's moving even closer to a massive facility and has some ufc contracted fighters and old school pro's that I'm keen to get involved with.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

willie_dee posted:

What kind of take down is this?

Osoto Gari

Edit: nope nvm he did it with far leg instead of close leg. So Kosoto Gari?

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 18, 2018

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Arguing with oneself about the right name for a throw - that's black belt judo.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

(nidan?) kosoto gake. minor outside hook. I can't remember the rarely-used prefix for it to be a two-legged attack, and I can't tell if he caught both legs.

kimbo305 posted:

I know you like to give me poo poo about this, but the name game is helpful for learning and understanding. To think about the names is a useful exercise in thinking about the mechanics that actually cause the throw to work. In this case, the "gari" (reap) vs "gake" (hook) - for the former, the attacker pulls the base out from underneath the centre of gravity; for the latter, the attacker moves the centre of gravity and prevents the base from catching up.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I know you like to give me poo poo about this, but the name game is helpful for learning and understanding. To think about the names is a useful exercise in thinking about the mechanics that actually cause the throw to work. In this case, the "gari" (reap) vs "gake" (hook) - for the former, the attacker pulls the base out from underneath the centre of gravity; for the latter, the attacker moves the centre of gravity and prevents the base from catching up.

I'm not being critical, just razzing you guys. Someone linked an essay about how decomposable the mechanics of judo throws are from their names, and that the primary barrier is just the foreignness of the individual terms.

I'm 100% sure that I would have better throw techniques if any of the throws we're taught in sanshou had names. Having a name for something is an extremely useful mental handle/abstraction for the move while you're unfamiliar and trying to learn the muscle memory of it. You can accumulate what you're learning hands-on to the name you're thinking of in your head, instead of an unnamed concept.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

I'm not being critical, just razzing you guys. Someone linked an essay about how decomposable the mechanics of judo throws are from their names, and that the primary barrier is just the foreignness of the individual terms.

I'm 100% sure that I would have better throw techniques if any of the throws we're taught in sanshou had names. Having a name for something is an extremely useful mental handle/abstraction for the move while you're unfamiliar and trying to learn the muscle memory of it. You can accumulate what you're learning hands-on to the name you're thinking of in your head, instead of an unnamed concept.

(Yeah I get that "giving poo poo" is not necessarily hostile.)

That's the basic idea. I had a conversation Monday night with a trio of orange belts about this exact principle regarding the throw "o soto guruma," which looks like a double-leg osoto gari, but which isn't quite. They had looked at some videos and pictures for their grading (tonight!), but they couldn't get the throw to work, because really, how are you going to chop both of someone's legs out from under them from behind at the same time? Either they're going to be too heavy on one leg, or the sweep is going to be superfluous. But if you get your leg behind theirs and pivot your shoulders - "guruma" means "wheel" - they're going for a ride.

Sigh. I hope my rib stops hurting soon so I can start doing this stuff properly again.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

As much as it bugs me, Eddie Bravo has had a lot of success with this. The names may be real dumb poo poo like crackhead control, but the point is that there's a lot of names for lots of positions, they're distinct and hence memorable.

For most BJJ sequences, it's the end goal or maybe the entry that gets the name. In 10th planet often individual steps gets their own names, which encourages people to focus on them and practice from these positions specifically.

My very first instructor was this serious, gruff guy who was bad for this. I was constantly asking him what the names of things were and he'd just say "I don't know", in a tone of voice that said I shouldn't care either.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

kimbo305 posted:

Please do not steal my posts

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

CommonShore posted:

(nidan?) kosoto gake. minor outside hook. I can't remember the rarely-used prefix for it to be a two-legged attack, and I can't tell if he caught both legs.

Yeah, nidan would be correct here.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Good on the cop for engaging and not just tazing the guy

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

willie_dee posted:

https://i.imgur.com/k2sI155.gifv

What kind of take down is this? I kinda use it myself because my wrestling is so garbage and I'd love to go to my next mma gym and say I want to practice and get good at xyz.

He just trips him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

My ear has been sore, to the pointing theres discomfort when sleeping on my side. I've started wearing ear protectors when rolling but we were doing drills tonight and I realized it was getting sore from that too. Going to look like pussy wearing ear protectors for drills..