Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Round the Twist was an absolute belter of a kids show. I remember the one with the sexy gypsy who turned into a scary old lady and one with a cat hat that made you copy other people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
What about the one where Bronson eats a fish that makes his penis whirl round like a propeller then he enters a swimming contest and wins the contest because his rapidly whirling penis makes him super fast at swimming. I did not make that up.

If we are talking wonky eighties/nineties Australian children's tv, what about Pugwall! I used to love hate-watching that show, and I still know all the words to the theme tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7YueVrn_u0

Rondette fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 17, 2018

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

I honestly only remember two, one I mentioned and a Scottish cow who was a walking endless cow pat joke in I think a C4 or ITV rival to Live & Kicking?

I remember bits of that, it was set in a hotel(?) and hosted by Tim Vincent and Gail Porter. The cow was called Morag.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I remember:

Roland Rat - ITV
Gordon the Gopher - CBBC
Edd the Duck - CBBC
Gilbert the alien - ITV
Nobby the Sheep - Ghost Train, ITV
Zig and Zagg - C4

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
There was also another Saturday morning thing that was set on Mars and had some sort of alien puppet thing that liked Guns 'n Roses.

e: I don't remember it being called Gilbert but it might have been

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember Gilbert being on a few shows. Ghost Train was one?

Also, Look-In was the most crucial of all kid mags.

Rondette posted:

If we are talking wonky eighties/nineties Australian children's tv, what about Pugwall! I used to love hate-watching that show, and I still know all the words to the theme tune.

Featuring ‘Michael from Neighbours’ on drums, which was a big deal back then.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I will donate my firstborn to whoever uploads all the episodes of Delta Wave

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Julio Cruz posted:

There was also another Saturday morning thing that was set on Mars and had some sort of alien puppet thing that liked Guns 'n Roses.

e: I don't remember it being called Gilbert but it might have been

That one was Parallel 9 or something. There was also Dogsbody the anthropomorphic dog on BBC, I remember it in Space Vets and swear it spread from there.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

EL BROMANCE posted:

I remember Gilbert being on a few shows. Ghost Train was one?

Also, Look-In was the most crucial of all kid mags.

Because the internet forgets nothing, here’s a dedicated webpage. Apparently Gilbert was on Get Fresh (with Gaz Topp!) and a couple of his own shows.

Ghost Train only had Nobby, who went on to Gimme 5 after that finished.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I loving hated Nobby the Sheep, or maybe I hated that Ghost Train split episodes of The Real Ghostbusters into two and put a 40 odd minute gap between each half. At least it felt that long

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Rondette posted:

Oh poo poo. I remember that guy and his tone deaf singing. I wonder if Australia is still pumping out terrible kids tv.

As for theme tunes that get stuck in your head. Every now and then I’ll hum the theme tune to Woof! to myself, then spend ages trying to remember what show it was from. https://youtu.be/f6koK0zfbuI

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Yesterday Only Connect gave away five points because they accidentally inverted the order of a first round question. This is the next big scandal to hit the BBC.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Rondette posted:

What about the one where Bronson eats a fish that makes his penis whirl round like a propeller then he enters a swimming contest and wins the contest because his rapidly whirling penis makes him super fast at swimming. I did not make that up.
I didn't remember that one, but I did remember the one about a pissing contest. An the one where they get covered in a sea of bird poo poo. All of the episodes are up on youtube and I now have the theme stuck in my head...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=batGXcgqMSw

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Featuring ‘Michael from Neighbours’ on drums, which was a big deal back then.

[UK] The Great British programme discussion: Featuring ‘Michael from Neighbours’ on drums, which was a big deal back then.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

I will donate my firstborn to whoever uploads all the episodes of Delta Wave

Here's a two-parter with extra Capaldi!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh04HymOc4A

EDIT: Oh man, Youtube is an absolute goldmine these days. Just found Episode 1 of something I thought I'd imagined: Time Riders!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9K5igTuXCg

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 17, 2018

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
What was the Irish one with the ugly as hell looking goblin puppets?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The only Round the Twist memory I have is of the episode with the pissing contest.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah the pissing contest kind of stays with you.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was watching some Not the Nine O'Clock News clips on YouTube. This one is still my favourite. Just because of that last line.

"Organising plump discos, I suspect!"

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I remember the Round the Twist episode where they got absolutely shat on by seagulls. It was loving gross.

Last year I was in Bath and got absolutely shat on by seagulls and it was loving gross, but at least it wasn’t quite as bad as that.

Seriously my first thought was that someone had thrown a bucket of water out of a window. I turned to a women behind me and just looked at her in disbelief and she just shrugged and said “seagulls?”

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

SeanBeansShako posted:

The only goblin-y one I remember is Five Children and It. The 90s were terrible for puppets. Both the Riddlers and the Rottentrolls had ugly as gently caress, creepy characters.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

They might have been Welsh in retrospect the nineties is scarily now a long time ago.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

I remember bits of that, it was set in a hotel(?) and hosted by Tim Vincent and Gail Porter. The cow was called Morag.

Fully Booked

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I remember:

Roland Rat - ITV

TV-AM specifically - "ITV" wasn't really a thing at the time. And he ended up on the BBC for more years than ITV though I was too young at the time to have any idea why.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Listening to the round the twist theme tune reminds me of this medly, created by a Bristol band called Clumsy.

https://soundcloud.com/clumsys-tv-theme-medley/clumsys-tv-theme-medley-whole-medley

It seems they deleted just about every copy of the song from the internet, I suspect because of the final song they choose to use.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Here's a two-parter with extra Capaldi!

The honourable gentleman will note that I specified all the episodes

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tsietisin posted:

Listening to the round the twist theme tune reminds me of this medly, created by a Bristol band called Clumsy.

https://soundcloud.com/clumsys-tv-theme-medley/clumsys-tv-theme-medley-whole-medley

It seems they deleted just about every copy of the song from the internet, I suspect because of the final song they choose to use.

God drat my nostalgia is in overdrive

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Mr. Squishy posted:

Yesterday Only Connect gave away five points because they accidentally inverted the order of a first round question. This is the next big scandal to hit the BBC.

So it wasn’t just us that thought that? It was ridiculous to put JK Rowling/Galbraith in the 5 pt spot.

For a place in the final too.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

ookiimarukochan posted:

TV-AM specifically - "ITV" wasn't really a thing at the time.

I mean, it was, but only for branding. Those licences are officially known as “Channel 3” in UK Law.

ITV started to use ITV as a branding exercise in... I wanna say late 70s/early 80s.

This has been your pedantry and broadcasting correspondent.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

thehustler posted:

So it wasn’t just us that thought that? It was ridiculous to put JK Rowling/Galbraith in the 5 pt spot.

For a place in the final too.

I was complaining loudly to the missus about this. And she kept complimenting them on their brave guess even though it was incredibly obvious.

Still, they won handily

SeanBeansShako posted:

Zig and Zag? The Morbegs? Bosco? The Late Late Show?

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 18, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

SEX BURRITO posted:

The only goblin-y one I remember is Five Children and It. The 90s were terrible for puppets. Both the Riddlers and the Rottentrolls had ugly as gently caress, creepy characters.

Awww I liked the riddlers! They had weird sort of elfy faces.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Zig and Zag once interviewed Donald Trump, who even in the midst of bankruptcy, insisted on the byline WORTH $1.5 BILLION.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N3zdRsivwk

It's weird to see old videos of Trump like this actually. He's still saying the meaningless hyperbole salad he does today, but his brain hasn't turned to pudding yet.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thehustler posted:

I mean, it was, but only for branding. Those licences are officially known as “Channel 3” in UK Law.

ITV started to use ITV as a branding exercise in... I wanna say late 70s/early 80s.

This has been your pedantry and broadcasting correspondent.

How did (do?) television franchises work? It is all done by region and time, isn't it?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

How did (do?) television franchises work? It is all done by region and time, isn't it?

Basically yes. Regions were developed on a geographical basis and then ran for a number of years. Boundaries have changed, regions have been created, regions have been destroyed or merged. Also the breakfast licence is technically a separate station licence for the 6:00-9:25 period for national distribution.

Those licences are still individually assigned despite the merged ITV plc holding all but... I wanna say 4 of them? (STV x 3 regions, plus UTV - Channel TV got sold to ITV Plc a few years back so is now part of the big company).

Ask me more, I love this poo poo.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

or just visit Transdiffusion @ https://www.transdiffusion.org/ for more history than you can handle.

I also love technical questions about how the stations and regions are distributed/linked but last time I tried to make a thread about it nobody cared :D

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It might have been The Morbegs it was a sort of rural setting and they lived underground. One of them was sort of a ram?

I am also remembering all the SKY Gamesmaster style shows too they had on weekends since we're nostalgia tripping. One of the dudes who showed up does drat good game trivia videos and books now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

It might have been The Morbegs it was a sort of rural setting and they lived underground. One of them was sort of a ram?

That’s Roger and the Rottentrolls. Although I remember a more realistic goat headed puppet.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thehustler posted:

Basically yes. Regions were developed on a geographical basis and then ran for a number of years. Boundaries have changed, regions have been created, regions have been destroyed or merged. Also the breakfast licence is technically a separate station licence for the 6:00-9:25 period for national distribution.

Those licences are still individually assigned despite the merged ITV plc holding all but... I wanna say 4 of them? (STV x 3 regions, plus UTV - Channel TV got sold to ITV Plc a few years back so is now part of the big company).

Ask me more, I love this poo poo.

So, for instance, The Saint was on ITV from 1962 to 1969 while The Avengers was on "ITV/ABC/Thames" from 1961 to 1969. How would that affect a hypothetical TV viewer's ability to see them both in the mid-1960s?

I honestly assumed it had always just been the BBC, then ITV, then BBC 2, then Channel Four, then Five. I didn't realise it was as fragmented as it seems: regional variants of the BBC and ITV (insofar as UTV qualifies) are straightforward enough but the other stuff is a bit of a blank.

My only foreknowledge is actually a Kim Newman short story, of all things. (His recurring villain, who's a kind of other-dimensional being who takes the form of this Robert Maxwell/Rupert Murdoch media tyrant archetype, tries to manipulate a small production company into competing for the London franchise in the 1980s as part of some byzantine plan.) :v:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

London Goons of an age will remember Thames TV giving way to LWT on Friday nights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXLmWJLPkOE

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

For those interested in all regional channels/ITV then watch ITV in the Face on Vimeo. It’s pretty great. 15 episodes of history and idents that’s surprisingly watchable!

https://vimeo.com/130192194 (episode 1)