Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Goodpart posted:

Can confirm that the Ono Michio sidestory is the best thing to happen to the Yakuza franchise, maybe ever.

Also, the throwbacks to earlier games are wonderful.

Seeing Sodachi, Munan Chohept Onast and Pocket Circuit Fighter again in various sidequests made me howl with laughter. It's weirdly great to see them all again, and all of their sidequests are fantastic. Whoever said that Yakuza 6 toned down the silly was so wrong.

It gets better! Sodachi's substory chain is one of the only two or three requirements to fight Amon. I think if you see or hear him at the end of the substory, it's an unlock requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy gently caress, the unlocks in the last chunk of Majima Everywhere are loving ridiculous. Health for heat actions, the bat from Slugger style, there’s a ridiculous treasure trove of goodies. Tiger Shot alone is loving amazing.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Taintrunner posted:

Holy gently caress, the unlocks in the last chunk of Majima Everywhere are loving ridiculous. Health for heat actions, the bat from Slugger style, there’s a ridiculous treasure trove of goodies. Tiger Shot alone is loving amazing.
One big breakthrough for me was realizing how fun that sumo slap is, and also that it doesn't need to be in climax mode to use despite the skill tree only showing the climax icon.

No fuss, no timing. Just take a few steps back and gently caress someone up with a heat action from 20 feet away. So I've taken to trying to save it as a finisher lest I end up just using it instead of building heat up for fancy stuff like the always enjoyable dislocation of enemy shoulders.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I have a few questions that span across three different games

Kiwami: Playing it now and every time I unlock something new for Dragon style it doesn't feel like a whole lot is improving in the style. It does eventually get heat moves right? And a combo longer than 3 wimpy hits? Majima's taking a smoke break and not sure what I can do to make it not feel limp.

Kiwami 2: Noticed it coming at the tail end of the year and already thinking of it oh no I'm addicted. Is that game going to have the styles return or is it going to be a single style on Kiryu/Majima? (I think I saw playable majima in a trailer anyway)

Yakuza 6: How is the single style anyway. Feels weird that all 4 of them are apparently gone so I'm curious if there's even a upgrade tree or anything in this new game. OP doesn't say anything and I don't want to youtube it due to ~spoilers~

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have a few questions that span across three different games

Kiwami: Playing it now and every time I unlock something new for Dragon style it doesn't feel like a whole lot is improving in the style. It does eventually get heat moves right? And a combo longer than 3 wimpy hits? Majima's taking a smoke break and not sure what I can do to make it not feel limp.

Kiwami 2: Noticed it coming at the tail end of the year and already thinking of it oh no I'm addicted. Is that game going to have the styles return or is it going to be a single style on Kiryu/Majima? (I think I saw playable majima in a trailer anyway)

Yakuza 6: How is the single style anyway. Feels weird that all 4 of them are apparently gone so I'm curious if there's even a upgrade tree or anything in this new game. OP doesn't say anything and I don't want to youtube it due to ~spoilers~

Dragon gets better and better the more you unlock, you will probably finish the main story before you cap it though unless you make a conscious effort to hold off. You need to progress certain parts anyway to make Majima get back on the streets for the random battles.

Kiwami 2 is back to a single style, basically felt the same as 6 from when I played the demo (probably because they share an engine) but other people have said they feel like it's faster than 6. YMMV, I'm not gonna redownload the demo to compare it now that I have 6 in hand.

You unlock new things (parry, guard break, faster combos etc )for the style in 6 by spending the different xp types, there's new abilities and gated upgrades that get progressively better for various aspects as you unlock them (think like "more heat" - "even more heat" - "all of the heat" style).

The original games were all single style (although multiple characters in the latter games had their own individual styles) and it wasn't until 0 that they mixed it up on single characters, so technically it's a return to business as usual rather than removing a longstanding series tradition.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 16, 2018

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/985910699783311362

Arby's twitter account making a Yakuza reference

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mr. Fortitude posted:

https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/985910699783311362

Arby's twitter account making a Yakuza reference

They've done probably hundred's of games now, including Dark Souls. Whoever runs that twitter is a big goobery nerd.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Maybe I dreamed it or something but didn't they make Nishiki's koi tattoo when Kiwami or 0 got released?

e: Went through a year of Arby's tweets to find out that they didn't. I think I confused it with an Amaterasu that they made.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 16, 2018

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Section Z posted:

One big breakthrough for me was realizing how fun that sumo slap is, and also that it doesn't need to be in climax mode to use despite the skill tree only showing the climax icon.

In Dragon style, heat mode is always climax heat mode.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I am hype af. A friend and I ordered the After Hours editions and they have both shipped!

...Unfortunately neither of us will actually be able to play Yakuza 6 for a while because both of us have work trips.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
My digital pre-order is almost unlocked and I'm so loving ready. Just sat through the demo; I'm finally in Chapter 1 after the hour or so of dramatic cutscenes.

Any hot gameplay tips for those who played the JP version? I heard that Green (Tech?) EXP is by far the scarcest unless you go for 100% (which I absolutely will let's be real); any other consumables I should hoard, upgrades I should grab early, etc?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I’m some of the way through 4 and Saejima’s section sucks rear end aside from the story. So much busywork and lovely sneaking around.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Captain Walker posted:

My digital pre-order is almost unlocked and I'm so loving ready. Just sat through the demo; I'm finally in Chapter 1 after the hour or so of dramatic cutscenes.

Any hot gameplay tips for those who played the JP version? I heard that Green (Tech?) EXP is by far the scarcest unless you go for 100% (which I absolutely will let's be real); any other consumables I should hoard, upgrades I should grab early, etc?

Cafe Alps and Sushi Gin are gonna be your go-to for Green Stuff, from what I hear. Can’t really get much of it anywhere else.

julian assflange posted:

I’m some of the way through 4 and Saejima’s section sucks rear end aside from the story. So much busywork and lovely sneaking around.

How the gently caress does a big gently caress like Saejima get stealthy like let’s be real here

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854504

I have a thread for Yakuza 6 here, so you can all move over to that one if you'd like or just hang around here and talk about Kiwami or whathaveyou.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Sweet, nice job. Anyone feel like getting a Shenmue thread going to discuss the upcoming remasters and any news about 3? Maybe it’s too soon for that though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah since I love Shenmue and the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter thread got archived I'll probably put together a Shenmue trilogy thread sooner or later.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

widespread posted:

Cafe Alps and Sushi Gin are gonna be your go-to for Green Stuff, from what I hear. Can’t really get much of it anywhere else.

How the gently caress does a big gently caress like Saejima get stealthy like let’s be real here

Canonically with the efficiency as master assassin Agent 47.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best part of Yakuza Kiwami is Majima Everywhere where Majima is constantly trying to call out Kiryu for being horny and Kiryu's continued insistence that he only participates in good, wholesome entertainment such as MesuKing.

Also I finally beat Majima Everywhere and have unlocked every ability. Phew!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I guess no one is posting in this thread cause we’re all playing 6. I need to take a break but can’t stop playing.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
game good

game real good

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I’m still on 4 and done with Saejima for now thank god

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I'm in chapter 11 of Kiwami, trying to decide between rushing through that or digging more into 6. Should probably finish off Kiwami, to be honest.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

harperdc posted:

I'm in chapter 11 of Kiwami, trying to decide between rushing through that or digging more into 6. Should probably finish off Kiwami, to be honest.

Savour every moment of Yakuza that you can..

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Yeah as hype as I am for 6 I'm just letting it happen when it happens, I'm smack in the middle of 3 right now. Gotta get thru everything at it's proper pace

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I skipped 3

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sometimes Kiwami asks me to do something in Dragon Style and then I get really upset because it sucks complete rear end and I don't even know how they can make it not awful.

Like I'm B-Rank in Majima Everywhere and a good ways down the training sessions but it still has 0 heat moves and a really slow and pathetic 3 hit rush with a finisher that literally never lands. It's cool I unlock a ton of stuff for it but it sucks that none of them so far have actually been useful.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Sometimes Kiwami asks me to do something in Dragon Style and then I get really upset because it sucks complete rear end and I don't even know how they can make it not awful.

Like I'm B-Rank in Majima Everywhere and a good ways down the training sessions but it still has 0 heat moves and a really slow and pathetic 3 hit rush with a finisher that literally never lands. It's cool I unlock a ton of stuff for it but it sucks that none of them so far have actually been useful.

Wait you don’t have HEAT moves unlocked for Dragon?

Are you checking Nishida’s messages?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Sega put out a survey to gauge the reactions for Yakuza 6. Here's the thing, though: they also put a question asking if people would be willing to buy the Fist of North Star game. If you are, then you should answer the survey ASAP if you want to give its possible localization a chance.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Saoshyant posted:

Sega put out a survey to gauge the reactions for Yakuza 6. Here's the thing, though: they also put a question asking if people would be willing to buy the Fist of North Star game. If you are, then you should answer the survey ASAP if you want to give its possible localization a chance.

Eleven pages?! :shepface: God drat they're not making it easy, but also I REALLY loving want that FotNS game

EDIT: Now that I've reached the end, you should REALLY fill out this form. Just trust me. There's a surprise.

Danaru fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 18, 2018

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

having an extended sticker conversation with the tutorial messages over here

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Saoshyant posted:

Danaru posted:

Eleven pages?! :shepface: God drat they're not making it easy, but also I REALLY loving want that FotNS game

EDIT: Now that I've reached the end, you should REALLY fill out this form. Just trust me. There's a surprise.

They had a similar survey following Y0/Y5 (maybe others?). I remember answering questions about the real estate chicken. On top of the rad surprise at the end, it really helps them when folks do the surveys.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Danaru posted:

The limit to the amount of suffering l am willing to endure in the name of more Yakuza is a purely theoretical thing, as yet untested *points to plat for Dead Souls*

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

lol forever if you wouldnt click through 11 pages to support a game where a guy punches really quickly and makes a guys head go lumpy then explode

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

OKAY HOLD ON, YOU DON'T JUST FOIST THAT ON ME SURVEY.

THAT IS SOME HEAVY poo poo YO, AND I'MMA GLADLY TAKE THAT poo poo.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

widespread posted:

OKAY HOLD ON, YOU DON'T JUST FOIST THAT ON ME SURVEY.

THAT IS SOME HEAVY poo poo YO, AND I'MMA GLADLY TAKE THAT poo poo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
My wife and I marked out when we saw the question.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

widespread posted:

Wait you don’t have HEAT moves unlocked for Dragon?

Are you checking Nishida’s messages?

Yeah, at least I thought I was doing them right?

E: He's currently on break, is it safe to assume I can't do them right now anyway?

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 18, 2018

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Saoshyant posted:

Done, done, and done.

Everyone should take this, if not just to encourage more Yakuza in the west.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Ughhhh of course I'm the one joyless nerd who is bothered by the surprise (Y6 spoiler) because it just completely undercuts unlocking him in the game proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah, at least I thought I was doing them right?

E: He's currently on break, is it safe to assume I can't do them right now anyway?

I think you can still clear the emails when he's on a break. Look at your upgrade screen for Dragon style. Each rank has it's own branch., and most of the branches end with an email-based objective. If you've done all of the emails, there shouldn't be any empty sockets at the end of the cleared ranks.