Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i read catherine murphy’s piece on credlin and frydenberg and wow it’s really bad

:qq: at least frydenberg is trying to do something (even if it’s really poo poo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
https://www.buzzfeed.com/lanesainty/public-servant-sacked-over-tweets-wins-at-tribunal?utm_term=.yaoBy6W2x0#.iqGjB2zLwv

quote:

In a decision handed down on Monday, AAT deputy president Gary Humphries and Dr Bernard Hughson found that Banerji's sacking had "unacceptably trespassed" on the implied freedom of political communication and was unlawful.

The fact Banerji's tweets were anonymous effectively stripped away the justification for the Australian Public Service (APS) code of conduct – that is, protecting the impartiality of the APS – that Banerji had contravened, the AAT found.

"A comment made anonymously cannot rationally be used to draw conclusions about the professionalism or impartiality of the public service," Humphries and Hughson wrote.

The decision also noted that "powerful and persuasive justification" is needed for any law that displaces the implied freedom of political communication.

Good. The speech restrictions on public servants are increasingly ridiculous.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Lid posted:

The President of Azerbaijan took over from his father in 2003. His wife is the Vice-President. And last week he was re-elected with 86 per cent of the vote after a boycott by opposition parties.

Liberal MP Craig Kelly says Australia needs to learn from the country's electoral system.

The south-west Sydney MP travelled to the former Soviet nation for the second time last week as leader of a delegation to observe its presidential election. In comments that riled Armenians in Australia, Mr Kelly was quoted in Azerbaijan media saying he had witnessed a "coherent, democratic process" and "an election organisation that surpassed Australia's experience".

"We, together with my colleagues, will undoubtedly bring the useful experience home," he said.

To be fair, he felt he couldn't criticise their election process because of that little bit of electoral fraud in one of the council elections.

A reminder that during Azerbaijan's last elections their electoral commission accidentally released the results of the election the day before the election. Such efficiency!

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/michaelkoziol/status/986429499783835648?s=21

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I'm not reading all this poo poo but I will let everyone skip to the best part in this link http://stopturnbull.com/

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Conspiracy theorising on Australian politics is about a million times more entertaining than when it's on American politics because Australia is utterly meaningless.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

JBP posted:

I'm not reading all this poo poo but I will let everyone skip to the best part in this link http://stopturnbull.com/

Holy moley and I thought I had no life.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i am a sacred weed that grows in the desert

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP posted:

Hey, we really need to trash this Turnbull guy. Get a photo where he's looking young and handsome and fill up 1/3rd of the screen with it for the whole site!

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Trying to get a jump on sculpting the bust for our next PM

His stupid potato head is loving stupid and hard to get the likeness of, it's like a melted, mushy lump with facial features stuck on

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

EoinCannon posted:

His stupid potato head is loving stupid and hard to get the likeness of, it's like a melted, mushy lump with facial features stuck on

Cursed

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

EoinCannon posted:

Not enough sprouts

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/sallymcmanus/status/986359822281932800

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Mad Katter posted:

The Michaelia Cash union raid tipoff was one of them, right?

Citizenship-gate.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Ipswich City Council to stop recycling as costs increase by $2m a year
JACK McKAY, The Courier-Mail
33 minutes ago
Subscriber only

ALL recyclables placed into Ipswich City Council’s yellow top bins will now be sent to landfill, as China’s ban on accepting certain foreign materials begins to bite.

The council was recently notified by its recycling contractors that it would have to pay an extra $2 million each year for recycling to continue – which could have led to a rate rise of between 1.5 and 2 per cent.

Ipswich Mayor Andrew Antoniolli said the national recycling system had broken sooner than expected and said the city needed to move forward.

“I have spoken personally to the minister on this issue, and made it clear that we’ve been backed into a corner on recycling,” he said.

The contamination level of Ipswich’s recyclables has also been branded as unacceptably high, with about half of everything collected from the yellow top bins deemed to be non-recyclable.

For recycling to continue, the council would need to reduce by half a number of waste items, including pizza boxes, disposable nappies and dirty tissues.

Residents have been urged to continue to sort their waste as per normal, with green waste expected to still be recycled.

Deputy Mayor Wayne Wendt said the focus on recycling would “now be very much about waste reduction”.

“Everybody plays a role in the protection of our environment, and ways to reduce waste now become even more important to our daily lives,” he said.

“Under the current and previous rates of contamination waste experts advise it would be almost unachievable even with the best and well-intentioned community education program to lower the rate of contamination to acceptable levels.

“In a nutshell, this means we were left with no other choice but to send yellow lid bin contents to landfill.”

The decision from Ipswich Council to send recyclable waste to landfill follows China’s ban on accepting 24 types of recyclables and solid waste in January from foreign countries, including Australia.

It is understood the China ban is anticipated to have a significant impact on 24 councils that make up 86 per cent of the state’s population.

Ipswich will now be issuing tenders by mid-way through this year for waste-to-energy projects in a bid to make a portion of the city’s energy environmentally friendly.

“We want to become a leader in the waste-to-energy space, which will in the medium to long-term provide us with an environmentally-friendly energy source, jobs and a better economic outcome for Ipswich,” Mayor Antoniolli said.

“We’ve actually been looking at waste as an energy source for some time, and this gives us the ideal opportunity to be ahead of the game in that space.”

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Maybe we should start building recycling facilities now

Nah just landfill the lot of it mate she'll be right!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Ipswich - a literal landfill

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

but what if its like the drought and we make all the desalination plants when the water comes back?? what then?? what if china opens for business just as we do something for ourselves???

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is there anything in Ipswich that isn't rubbish?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

Ipswich City Council to stop recycling as costs increase by $2m a year
JACK McKAY, The Courier-Mail

One for the people that keep claiming that this is a first world country.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

quote:

Michael Hodge QC observes that Commonwealth Financial Planning has had a 100 per cent increase in clients over the past decade but a 25 per cent drop in the number of advisers.

He asks CBA's Marianne Perkovic whether the bank had any concerns that clients were not receiving adequate attention because of the decline in advisers, while client numbers doubled.

This is in the context of ASIC's concern that some firms were taking on too many clients for the number of planners.

Ms Perkovic struggles to provide a clear answer.

https://twitter.com/mikejanda/statu...fw_site=ABCNews

:guillotine:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Anidav posted:

Maybe we should start building recycling facilities now

Nah just landfill the lot of it mate she'll be right!

gently caress adani right off.

Spend the fish on setting up recycling processing facility. Make dosh selling recycled plastic and poo poo. Generate jobs and growth for the region you put it in. Save the planet.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Anidav posted:

“Under the current and previous rates of contamination waste experts advise it would be almost unachievable even with the best and well-intentioned community education program to lower the rate of contamination to acceptable levels.

This is some really depressing poo poo. We could be recycling all this stuff but people can even be relied on to sort the most basic poo poo.

It's not like in Japan where people have to sort things seven different ways.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The Japanese system is really cool

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

The Japanese system is really cool

How does it work?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anime

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Obviously, they just put all the planners on salaries then make them work 90 hour weeks.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

MysticalMachineGun posted:

How does it work?

All garbage is eaten by Godzilla to prevent Hedorah from attacking.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Ipswich Deputy Mayor Wayne Wendt pointed to the ABC Four Corners program on waste last year, saying contamination inside yellow lid recycle bins has since doubled.

Umm... i think ypu got the wrong lesson from Ipswich's appearance in that 4 Corners episode...

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Ipswich council can get hosed, we should build a loving incinerator and chuck the entire contents of Ipswich in it

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I think my council were palming off their recycling to Ipswich, so it's all a bit worrying.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

MysticalMachineGun posted:

How does it work?

There's like 7 different bins(glass, metal, plastic, food, ect) and they have bin inspectors that fine you if you put the wrong poo poo in the wrong bin. Fast forward decades later and categorising rubbish is basically apart of Japanese household culture. Where if you put the wrong poo poo in the wrong bin your Japanese mom will beat the poo poo out of you and say Ora Ora~ afterwards.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Question about the middle box: how do you recycle fire?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Knobb Manwich posted:

Carefully

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Knobb Manwich posted:

you put it in the correct bin

look this isn't loving hard

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Knobb Manwich posted:

It's for burnable waste.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Anidav posted:

There's like 7 different bins(glass, metal, plastic, food, ect) and they have bin inspectors that fine you if you put the wrong poo poo in the wrong bin. Fast forward decades later and categorising rubbish is basically apart of Japanese household culture. Where if you put the wrong poo poo in the wrong bin your Japanese mom will beat the poo poo out of you and say Ora Ora~ afterwards.

Everywhere I went in Japan was literally a choice between combustibles or plastic bottles to recycle, I have no idea where people are getting this 'different bin for collection every day' thing from.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Laserface posted:

Everywhere I went in Japan was literally a choice between combustibles or plastic bottles to recycle, I have no idea where people are getting this 'different bin for collection every day' thing from.

That's how it was at my Mum's house. You had to sort paper, metal, plastic etc for the recycling.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Knobb Manwich posted:

You use it to light a Molotov and hurl it at a VISY centre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Anidav posted:

Greg Hunt interview goes off rails over 'free speech' and gay conversion therapy

• Locked thread