Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

al-azad posted:

I don’t remember this scene from Breakdown.
thats cause its from shenmue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

did A Hat in Time just fly under everyone's radar? I've barely heard anything about it but it's a phenomenally designed little game

Unfortunately it was a 3D platformer that came out within three weeks of Mario Odyssey.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

It's also PC only, right?

I'd love to play it on PS4, get my daughter to play it and ruin any platformers that came before it for her

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

MysticalMachineGun posted:

It's also PC only, right?

I'd love to play it on PS4, get my daughter to play it and ruin any platformers that came before it for her

It's on PS4.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Apparently the dev of hat in time has had an enormous ongoing feud with some other dude and they've been sniping at / sabotaging each other for years. Iirc when hat in time launched the other person went public with a bunch of stuff to try to hurt the game

It's all facepunch drama or something but it tempered a lot of people on the game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i had fun with a hat in time but there are a lot of little weird bits, the ending being the biggest of them cause it leaves kind of a weird message if you consider the history surrounding the game. that all kinda made it hard for me to be super enthusiastic about it afterward

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hat in Time is okay. It got overlooked because its a collectathon platformer that came out right before Odyssey.

The Colonel posted:

i had fun with a hat in time but there are a lot of little weird bits, the ending being the biggest of them cause it leaves kind of a weird message if you consider the history surrounding the game. that all kinda made it hard for me to be super enthusiastic about it afterward

Yeah the last level is weird.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Internet Kraken posted:

Hat in Time is okay. It got overlooked because its a collectathon platformer that came out right before Odyssey.

Yeah the last level is weird.

Spoil me on the last level.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Hat in Time is such a aggravating combination of creativity and jank. Like it had so many cool ideas and when it's good, it's great but when it's bad it's genuinly just painful to play. It doesn't help that the opening area is the worst area in the game

It's also funny that in platformers bosses are either easy jokes that might as well not be there or trying affairs that go on way to long with little room for error and HiT unfortunately is mostly in the latter catagory. It's not as bad as, say, a boss in the retro studios DKC game but some of them are still just a pain.

Mario Odyssey managed to have good bosses but even then they were mostly in the first catagory, only really working because of the spectacle and it just feeling good to smack the bosses around..

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd rather have easy bosses than the poo poo-fests from Tropical Freeze which actively made the game worse.
Mario Odyssey does it perfectly imo, the story bosses are pretty easy then you can fight tougher versions of them in the post game if you want more of a challenge.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So, finished Kirby Robobot. I felt like it was a better game than Triple Deluxe overall, but the best moments of TD (like facing Flowery Woods with hypernova in the penultimate level and sucking up everything on the screen including his health bar) were better than the best moments of Robobot.
The robot gimmick is better than hypernova gameplay wise, but you don't get to use it nearly enough, and what's up with never getting to use it in a boss fight?
Also, ESP is an incredibly game breaking ability.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Hey, Metal Gear Solid 5 is on sale on humble this week. I picked up The Phantom Pain, even though I shouldn't be spending money on more games with my backlog, but I forgot about Ground Zeroes. Given that it was $5 for The Phantom Pain and it'd be another $4, almost as much, for Ground Zeroes . . . how necessary is Ground Zeroes? I keep getting mixed messages googling around, I remember hearing about it being really short, tho. Is there much there? Like, what percentage of the game would you say it is? Is it a particularly great part of the game? As silly an amount as $4 might sound, I'm pretty hesitant to spend it, especially if there's not much there.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ground zeroes is very good, but the main mission is maybe an hour and a half if that's important to you. doing the side missions and stuff you can squeeze 10+ hours out of it

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

It's worth mentioning that Ground Zeroes is focused around a single enemy camp to infiltrate and doesn't have the base-building and weapon customisation stuff of TPP.

You can squeeze a lot out of that one camp and unlock a couple of bonus soldiers for TPP but that's about it, but for $4 you can't go too far wrong.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ground Zeroes was pretty satisfying as a short standalone thing while people were waiting for Phantom Pain.

I don't think it's absolutely necessary -- it gives you a taste of the Phantom Pain's gameplay but is missing some of the most fun mechanics in PP. The story stuff that impacts PP is actually covered well in the full game and the other story stuff is probably only of interest if you care about what happened to the characters in the PSP game Peace Walker.

There are some things that transfer over into PP but they are also minor.

Amazing use of this song though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0xUl_VRCmM

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
here's to you, nicola and bart

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
kojima's taste in music is aces

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think I liked the Ground Zeroes base better than any area in the main game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ground Zeroes made me glad V barely had any story.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I suppose you guys are right, it is only $4. Thanks for the feedback.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Ground Zeroes put me off Metal Gear for a long time.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Olive! posted:

Ground Zeroes put me off Metal Gear for a long time.

Reminder that the villains forced one underage character to rape another, which is a tape you can listen to in the game. They later detonate the rape victim with what is strongly implied to be a vagina bomb.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Lizard Wizard posted:

Reminder that the villains forced one underage character to rape another, which is a tape you can listen to in the game. They later detonate the rape victim with what is strongly implied to be a vagina bomb.

Yeah but Kojima did that one thing with the memory card and controllers so he has to be praised as a master video game writer.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

did A Hat in Time just fly under everyone's radar? I've barely heard anything about it but it's a phenomenally designed little game

lurdiak was really into it i think. or yooka laylee

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Played some more Captain Toad and later on today am going to snag those cheap WiiU games. I have heard great things about Mario 3D world, Yoshi and his woolly world and the rainbow brush Kirby :D

Also, my time spent in Nier: Automata is wonderful. It is nice to have a quick ten minute round on a delightful Nintendo game after spending a few hours in the world of Nier Automata. I did a box puzzle, fought with Father Servo some more and explored around.

So far, this game is looking like it will get onto my top 20 of all time. (Still cannot believe how many great games I have that I need to complete after this!!)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

so glad I never found that tape

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Help Im Alive posted:

I think I liked the Ground Zeroes base better than any area in the main game

There were a couple areas in PP that I thought were comparable but yeah Camp Omega is a top tier videogame level.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/charlieINTEL/status/986335667495096321

Yes, that is the real logo.

Industry scuttlebutt is saying there will be no campaign this year, they'll have a battle royale mode instead.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Played some more Captain Toad

Are you gonna get the Switch version? We're probably gonna pass unless it's cheap enough because idk how many new levels it is getting over the original. Hopefully it won't be too too much, we can live with not having a few levels based on Mario Odyssey.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Are you gonna get the Switch version? We're probably gonna pass unless it's cheap enough because idk how many new levels it is getting over the original. Hopefully it won't be too too much, we can live with not having a few levels based on Mario Odyssey.

I had no idea there was going to be a switch version!
Probably not however, as I have found out that once I get Super Mario 3D world, it will link up and give me some more levels that way :D

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

imagine ground zeroes tier remake of groznyj grad.... imagine fox engine mgs3.....

please do not post the pachinko

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah but Kojima did that one thing with the memory card and controllers so he has to be praised as a master video game writer.

Yeah, in all seriousness, Kojima is kinda gross and i'm weirded out by the cult like worship he receives from every single game journalist who wants to be his personal best friend. In hindsight I can understand why Konami dropped him.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, in all seriousness, Kojima is kinda gross and i'm weirded out by the cult like worship he receives from every single game journalist who wants to be his personal best friend. In hindsight I can understand why Konami dropped him.

Grossness aside he's a very very weird person. His Twitter feeds are quite bizarre.

1. He has a Japanese and an English Twitter, both with the same content, just in their respective languages.
2. Most days he starts with a "good morning" tweet, usually a picture he's taken of his $1300 Walkman and whatever album it's playing/he's currently listening to.
3. The guy consumes media like nobody's business and posts pictures of his hauls. Like $35 literal music CD's, or $60 Blu-rays of obscure classic European cinema on Blu-ray with Japanese subtitles. Books, too.

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/969549170578083840

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im totally sure konami fired him over artistic differences and not financial ones. Strong analysis. Thank you sjw yakuza bosses at konami for ending the perversions.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

I was interested in it and it's on my Steam wishlist but was kinda waiting until it went on sale or heard something good about it. Heard it was a better revival of the old collectathon platformers than Yooka Laylee.

oddium posted:

imagine ground zeroes tier remake of groznyj grad.... imagine fox engine mgs3.....

please do not post the pachinko

whoa depressing post to see first thing in the morning

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 18, 2018

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Im totally sure konami fired him over artistic differences and not financial ones. Strong analysis. Thank you sjw yakuza bosses at konami for ending the perversions.

tfw you get moved to cleaning toilets for not being woke

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

sjw's have gone too far

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
The amount of content Capcom is rolling out for MHW for free is getting to the point I keep feeling like there has to be a catch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nina posted:

The amount of content Capcom is rolling out for MHW for free is getting to the point I keep feeling like there has to be a catch

The catch is how much bad paid content they keep making for sfv

• Locked thread