Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

LiquidFriend posted:

We can go back and forth, because I can link plays like this all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNgBxkvwEyY

Took off from a clean pocket where the blitzer was properly picked up, ran right into pressure and had a total mechanical breakdown to throw the game sealing INT. It really wasn't just the ugly moments that were red flags.

Playing in a spread where Gary Pinkel chopped the field in half to learning an unorthodox playing style from OC David Yost are other reasons. Gabbert had a great arm, but Pinkel's Offense never asked him to make a lot of difficult throws so we never really had a good idea how accurate he could be. That's before mentioning lolbig12defenses. His ugly play after that Oklahoma game really enhanced the surprise that he declared for the draft that year.

Actually wait, the Suh game was the year before but ya Nebraska owned him again the next year too.

Great you linked an INT. Darnold threw four more of those than Gabbert in 19 less passes. They still have similar builds, throw similarly, appear to have the same amount of arm strength, both rolled out and broke from their pockets a ton in college. I think they're alike. I think there's a lot of other QBs that look big when they put their pads on, can deal with shifting pockets, and deliver similar passes. I'm not sure what else you're trying to argue here.

Also Gabbert was highly rated coming out by a ton of pundits and was pretty much instantly thrown into the first round when he declared. It wasn't some weird hype train that got him drafted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Doltos posted:

Great you linked an INT. Darnold threw four more of those than Gabbert in 19 less passes. They still have similar builds, throw similarly, appear to have the same amount of arm strength, both rolled out and broke from their pockets a ton in college. I think they're alike. I think there's a lot of other QBs that look big when they put their pads on, can deal with shifting pockets, and deliver similar passes. I'm not sure what else you're trying to argue here.

Also Gabbert was highly rated coming out by a ton of pundits and was pretty much instantly thrown into the first round when he declared. It wasn't some weird hype train that got him drafted.
What I am saying to make a long story short is Darnold was the cog than ran the Trojans Offense while Blaine Gabbert was a product of a wizard system that kept on clicking once he left until Maty Mauk buried his face in a pile of coke.

If I were going to compare Gabbert to a current class QB, he'd be more similar to Josh Allen.

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 18, 2018

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Some poo poo Think Piece posted:

Uncoachable is a word associated with Rosen dating back to his time in high school at the Elite 11 camps. There, the story goes, Rosen didn't take to the coaching methods of former NFL quarterback and camp head Trent Dilfer. In a documentary about the camp, Dilfer is heard asking if Rosen "thinks he knows more than us." Rosen finished dead-last—11th—when the camp counselors ranked the quarterbacks at the end of the week.

Josh Rosen is going to get passed on by real NFL teams, who have to know that Trent Dilfer is stupid, because he thinks Trent Dilfer is stupid.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
can someone explain why trent dilfer thinks anyone should listen to him about anything

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Scionix posted:

can someone explain why trent dilfer thinks anyone should listen to him about anything

kiss the ring

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

LiquidFriend posted:

I'd guess between the Steelers, Saints and Jaguars near the end of the first that one of those teams would take him.

Saints for sure I'd think, now that Drew Brees is a year older and they barely just missed on Pat Mahomes.

To add to this, apparently every single member of the Steelers fo (and tomlin?) were looking at him.

I agree if he gets that far his upside means hes getting took

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Have a generational defense carry your no-talent rear end to a Super Bowl Title: the Trent Dilfer Method

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

piss tape israel posted:

Have a generational defense carry your no-talent rear end to a Super Bowl Title: the Trent Dilfer Method

can't coach that! :colbert:

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

piss tape israel posted:

Also the Tom Brady method!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Hell, might as well call it the 2015 Peyton Method as well

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Blitz7x posted:

This guy out an incredible amount of work into his mock and it makes me wanna vomit

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10f-mhamCqfZ0zpLPfNkq52GALUCUCW8LfYqZ1hGBYBs

I could absolutely see the Chiefs not picking until the third round.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Blitz7x posted:

This guy out an incredible amount of work into his mock and it makes me wanna vomit

all that work and he spelled it "saquan"

(it's a neat write-up though)

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Fifty Three posted:

all that work and he spelled it "saquan"

(it's a neat write-up though)

He called Vince Biegel as Vince Bieber. But it was a good analysis.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Blitz7x posted:

LVE and Hughes to the Packers would make me very happy.

There's basically three players I'd be excited to see the Packers pick up in the first, barring a trade up into the next tier of players: Vander Esch, Fitzpatrick, and Vea. The other players I've seen mocked to the Packers all seem to have one caveat or another that make me concerned that there's a good chance they end up not having enough of an impact, or just simply won't a presence in their first couple seasons which is when the team really needs the help.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The Bucs trading up for a running back is a concept that, imho, sucks

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Raiders trading back and getting an RB at 15 because he's a Gruden Grinder is dumb as hell and yet likely

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

kidcoelacanth posted:

The Bucs trading up for a running back is a concept that, imho, sucks

That's not happening. Highly more likely they trade back to get that third rounder back they traded away for JPP.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/art_stapleton/status/986615238605799425
https://twitter.com/TomRock_Newsday/status/986614874817159168

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 18, 2018

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Is an RB really going to be drafted #2 overall in 2018? Or are they going to trade down and get him?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Inevitable!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Is an RB really going to be drafted #2 overall in 2018? Or are they going to trade down and get him?

If they're somehow that enamored with them, they can't trade down, since they'd have to presume the Browns would snatch him at 4.

So that's pretty funny if this isn't just noise.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Not if the "homeless" of Cleveland have something to say about it.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
That means the Colts are going to draft him and then eventually trade him to the Giants for a million first round picks. After they win a Superbowl with him of course...

edit: or Cleveland is going to take him #1 overall after dumping money for Carlos Hyde lmao

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Gettleman drafted a lesser version of him last year at 8.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I would draft Fournette or Zeke with the #2. Barkley seems like a top 15 guy and a really interesting piece but I don't like him between the tackles or when he meets someone head on. He's also not a churner when he gets contact either which is concerning. I pretty much always want running backs that have non stop leg movement since that's what breaks tackles or gets extra yards in the NFL.

Also it's 2018 and people are still acting like RB's aren't incredibly important.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Doltos posted:

I would draft Fournette or Zeke with the #2. Barkley seems like a top 15 guy and a really interesting piece but I don't like him between the tackles or when he meets someone head on. He's also not a churner when he gets contact either which is concerning. I pretty much always want running backs that have non stop leg movement since that's what breaks tackles or gets extra yards in the NFL.

Also it's 2018 and people are still acting like RB's aren't incredibly important.

Which small school RB is going to outperform him when a starter gets injured this year?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doltos posted:

Fournette is cool and good and my friend :yaycloud:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Which small school RB is going to outperform him when a starter gets injured this year?

You mean which small school RB is going to put up 5 YPC against a defense that doesn't care about him then have him disappear three weeks later when they leave a LB in the box?

I dunno I kinda like Rashaad Penny this year. Nyheim Hines is the sleeper scatback. Justin Jackson from Northwestern tested really well as did Roc Thomas from Jacksonville State. There's also a guy from Fordham I still have to watch named Chase Edmonds who pretty much wrecked everyone in the shuttle and cone drill. All of them are not nearly as talented or deliver the same type of threat out the backfield as Barkley or Guice.

Nov 6, 2002

Doltos posted:

Whereas the failure rate of QB's outside of the 1st round is pretty high, you cannot say the same for RBs.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Doltos posted:

Holding all other variables equal, spending a high first round pick on a RB instead of a premier position will yield less utility on average. RB's have short careers, easily transition to the pros, and outside of special teamers are the most fungible position.

You are an idiot.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Not with that OL

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Holding all other variables equal, spending a high first round pick on a RB instead of a premier position will yield less utility on average. RB's have short careers, easily transition to the pros, and outside of special teamers are the most fungible position.

You are an idiot.

Whereas the failure rate of QB's outside of the 1st round is pretty high, you cannot say the same for RBs.

It's amazing how this argument comes up every year in the draft thread and now it's happening multiple times a year because these morons think they've cracked the code.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Looking at how little the top RB's are being paid and how the middle class of RB contracts is gutted, I'd argue the code's been cracked.

Nov 6, 2002

Doltos posted:

It's amazing how this argument comes up every year in the draft thread and now it's happening multiple times a year because these morons think they've cracked the code.

I like how you presented many counter arguments.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I love that the giants are stupid.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I like how you presented many counter arguments.

I've become world weary presenting my counter arguments to this because it happens so much. Hang on I'll just link the previous posts about this stupid topic full of stupid idiots who think production = skill and ignore the hundreds of failed RBs that get drafted in the later rounds.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Not with that OL

Right? Why would they set up a rookie RB to fail so badly?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Kalli posted:

Looking at how little the top RB's are being paid and how the middle class of RB contracts is gutted, I'd argue the code's been cracked.
Yeah to hammer this home Fournette was the 4th highest paid RB in the league as a rookie. The only way to wind up overpaying a RB is to draft them super high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Doltos posted:

EVERY loving YEAR WITH THIS poo poo

Doltos posted:

IT"S ALWAYS THE SAME GOD drat ARGUMENT

Doltos posted:

The counter argument is that a good back is measured in more than just yards. You have to take into account how threatening the back is out of the backfield. If someones sucking two LBs into the box each play averaging 4 ypc and a guy is sucking one LB into the box each play averaging 4.5 ypc, then the former is more valuable than the latter. A RB is also asked to do it all now, and the guys who can run, catch, and block are in short supply, thus necessitating a higher pick just because of supply and demand. A RB's shelf life may be shorter, but every shelf life is short if the player isn't good enough to play. In addition if a RB gives you 4 great years while a different position gives you 6 good years, the former is again more valuable. Also people are willfully ignorant of all the late round RBs that never contribute.

But none of that matters because every god drat year some fucker has to come into this thread thinking they're a genius for expounding the virtues of drafting players that last more than 8 years in the league.

• Locked thread