Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I have a Kindle Voyage. Can someone kindly explain to me why there has already been two generations of the Oasis since my ereader came out and if I should care?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I have a Kindle Voyage. Can someone kindly explain to me why there has already been two generations of the Oasis since my ereader came out and if I should care?

Because Amazon likes money. No, the Voyage is still great.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Because if they gave the voyage the oasis’s killer features - waterproofing or an infinitesimally larger screen - they’d cannibalize oasis sales, and there isn’t much else to add to it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's more like just one generation of Oasis and one generation of Oasis with a bigger screen but otherwise similar hardware inside. And both oasis devices have about the same internals as the Voyage has had all along.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Doesn't the Oasis have like a gigantic hard drive?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Doesn't the Oasis have like a gigantic hard drive?

The latest, large screen Oasis model comes with option of 8 or 32 GB flash storage.
The previous Oasis came with 4 GB flash storage.
The Voyage also has 4 GB flash storage.

For perspective I've got almost 600 books on my Voyage, including a few dozen sorts of comic collections or just plain image heavy texts, and I still have a quarter of the storage free.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Bought the new Oasis last week. Took it for a spin for my commutes and what not. Not really content with the battery life on it. It somehow feels worse than my 5 year old Paperwhite. Maybe it's the mix between the the 12 LEDs and dual core processor, dunno. I wasn't a fan of the grip hold, still prefer a more slate like grip. Returned it today. It was fun while it lasted.

Maybe I'll get that Kobo Aura One Limited Edition after all...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to decide between the 32gb kindle and the 32gb kobo.

I mainly just love the idea of carrying around my entire book collection in one shot, but I also shudder to think of how long it'll take to index those files if I get anywhere near filling that drive up.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Bought the new Oasis last week. Took it for a spin for my commutes and what not. Not really content with the battery life on it. It somehow feels worse than my 5 year old Paperwhite. Maybe it's the mix between the the 12 LEDs and dual core processor, dunno. I wasn't a fan of the grip hold, still prefer a more slate like grip. Returned it today. It was fun while it lasted.

Good choice. I still beat myself up about getting the Oasis and giving my Voyage away. The Oasis sucks. It has poo poo battery life and it hurts my hands holding it, even with a case. I can't comfortably palm it, like I could my Voyage and I can't hold it in my handspan any more. But the buttons and the waterproofing lured me in, buying an overpriced, unergonomic product, that was designed for photos and advertisment, not for daily usage.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

gently caress it.

Edit: Welp, maybe use a card without foreign transaction fees next time. :negative:

You’d think since it had a US subdomain in their store they would have a credit processor to match...

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 18, 2018

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Thanks for the info, I'll be sticking with my Voyage for now.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I don't have problems with the oasis battery life but I leave wifi off almost all the time. I was gifted exactly $250 and decided to splurge on it. It's a great upgrade from the first-gen touchscreen nook I had but I'm sure the voyage is 99% as good for most use cases. I didn't get a kobo because buying something that expensive, and that I have no way to demo and may want to return from rakuten or random ebay sellers doesn't fill me with confidence.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is the voyage a decent enough upgrade from the paperwhite? Is the change in size and weight noticeable?

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Decius posted:

Good choice. I still beat myself up about getting the Oasis and giving my Voyage away. The Oasis sucks. It has poo poo battery life and it hurts my hands holding it, even with a case. I can't comfortably palm it, like I could my Voyage and I can't hold it in my handspan any more. But the buttons and the waterproofing lured me in, buying an overpriced, unergonomic product, that was designed for photos and advertisment, not for daily usage.

You're like the opposite me.

Grip with either hand on the button side, rest your thumb on the Next Page button, I never have to adjust my grip and never get hand fatigue.

The Kobo Aura One, I can't find a good grip that's stable when I go to turn the page since that requires a screen tap or swipe instead of simply pressing down with the holding thumb.

It's, due to its size, _less_ one-hand-able than the Oasis 2 is, at least to me, and I've got giant gorilla mitts.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Rolo posted:

Is the voyage a decent enough upgrade from the paperwhite? Is the change in size and weight noticeable?

For reference: I had a Voyage, gave it to family. Tried a Paperwhite, returned it and got a 1st gen Oasis.

The only differences I noticed between the Voyage and Paperwhite are the lighting (Voyage is much better) and the Voyage hardware buttons, which I like the idea of, but hate the implementation of (they're a weird soft press/squeeze location, rather than real buttons).

1st gen Oasis is perfect for me, strictly because the lighting and buttons are the best.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I went from Kindle Touch --> Voyage. Love the Voyage, but probably mostly because I didn't have a backlight before. But the flush screen is great, as are the page-turn buttons.

I never had a Paperwhite until I just ordered one for my kid last week. It basically seems like a Voyage, without a flush screen or page-turn buttons. In the 5 mins I played with it, I didn't notice much difference between the backlights of the Paperwhite vs Voyage.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I find it really hard to even justify trying one of the higher end kindle models. I could easily go back to using the K3 and have a great experience.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

whomupclicklike posted:

I find it really hard to even justify trying one of the higher end kindle models. I could easily go back to using the K3 and have a great experience.

Not sure how it compares to a Kindle 3, but going from a Nook Simple Touch Glowlight to a current gen Paperwhite is like night and day. No way would I go back to that display resolution or lighting, even though I ever so slightly miss the page turn buttons on the Nook.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

smr posted:

You're like the opposite me.

Grip with either hand on the button side, rest your thumb on the Next Page button, I never have to adjust my grip and never get hand fatigue.

I hoped for this grip when I bought it, but turns out, I do 90 % of my reading lying down, and then, when I hold it this way the lower half of the thick side of the Kindle digs into my hand which hurts after some time. Sitting up, the Oasis is indeed quite good to hold, if you lie it down on a desk it works great too. But that's not how I read most of the time, so it's not for me I've realized. I like to palm the reader (which I can do even with the Oasis thanks to my gigantic hands, but I can't reach the buttons any more and it digs into my hand uncomfortably) or hold it in a L-grip with one coner lying between my thumb and first digit, for which the Voyage (and the Paperwhite before) is perfect. I guess I even could do it with the new 7.8" Kobo/Tolino ones, 14 cm is narrow enough (the Oasis is 16 cm wide). I even started to use the Oasis with the buttons on the top or bottom, which made it a bit better, but is still very awkward to use.

So I simply hope for Amazon to finally update the Kindle Voyage and not discontinue it because they feel it's too near the Oasis in the first place.

Decius fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 19, 2018

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

gently caress it.

Welcome to the family.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Soon...

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
I would like an eReader with a larger screen and preferably blue light reduction and also think the Oasis 2017 sucks. Out of all the current devices the Kobo Aura One is for me as far as I can tell. Is Kobo about to release a new premium device or a cheapo thing to sell at Wal-Mart? I don't really care about having the latest and greatest but the Aura One is pretty old at this point so I just wonder if I should wait.

And do you really end up with a foreign transaction fee from the Kobo store if purchasing from the US?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The Aura One was released 1.5 years ago, which isn't really that long in the world of eReaders (Amazon is usually on a two year cycle for example, some really good ones like the Kindle Voyage can have 4 years). It uses the most advanced b/w e-Ink panel, so until colour is finally useful (in the perpetual 20 years I guess) or a new b/w panel generation comes out I don't think it's dated.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Ban Folklore posted:

I would like an eReader with a larger screen and preferably blue light reduction and also think the Oasis 2017 sucks. Out of all the current devices the Kobo Aura One is for me as far as I can tell. Is Kobo about to release a new premium device or a cheapo thing to sell at Wal-Mart? I don't really care about having the latest and greatest but the Aura One is pretty old at this point so I just wonder if I should wait.

And do you really end up with a foreign transaction fee from the Kobo store if purchasing from the US?

Kobo has a new device called Clara HD coming in September which does fit the "later this year" Wal-Mart thing, but everyone is banking on it being a 6-incher. No word on what devices Wal-Mart will have stocked though. The Aura One is pretty recent regarding e-ink tech. It's the latest Carta HD with the same 300 dpi as other similar devices use. The Limited Edition I just bought was released back in December 2017 I believe and the only difference is storage and a "fast page turn system" that I'm guessing is just a firmware thing.

As far as the foreign transaction fee, yes I got hit with it. They're based in Canada and despite having a US storefront, they don't have a US credit processor from the looks of things. There was an option to pay with PayPal which would have probably sidestepped that whole issue. Don't know if that follows with ebooks though. I'm just going to leverage my Kindle library with Calibre anyway. Just reinforces my memory to get a CC with no FTF's on it. Need one anyway.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 20, 2018

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Kobo has a new device called Clara HD coming in September which does fit the "later this year" Wal-Mart thing, but everyone is banking on it being a 6-incher. No word on what devices Wal-Mart will have stocked though. The Aura One is pretty recent regarding e-ink tech. It's the latest Carta HD with the same 300 dpi as other similar devices use. The Limited Edition I just bought was released back in December 2017 I believe and the only difference is storage and a "fast page turn system" that I'm guessing is just a firmware thing.

As far as the foreign transaction fee, yes I got hit with it. They're based in Canada and despite having a US storefront, they don't have a US credit processor from the looks of things. There was an option to pay with PayPal which would have probably sidestepped that whole issue. Don't know if that follows with ebooks though. I'm just going to leverage my Kindle library with Calibre anyway. Just reinforces my memory to get a CC with no FTF's on it. Need one anyway.

Eh, if a newer device is that far away I may just pull the trigger on the Aura One. As I was writing this I checked my CCs and apparently the Amazon Prime Visa has no FTFs, so that is nice. Didn't even realize that.

I already took the time to download all of my Kindle books and threw them into a Calibre library, so the hard part is done. I will miss the Whispersync between my Kindle and phone, but it's not that big of a deal, I guess.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
My money's on the Clara being a 6 inch reader with a flush screen for $100. Any takers?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

My money's on the Clara being a 6 inch reader with a flush screen for $100. Any takers?

Would make a very strong entry into the market against the Paperwhite for Wal-Mart. I’m sorta with on that.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Ban Folklore posted:

Eh, if a newer device is that far away I may just pull the trigger on the Aura One. As I was writing this I checked my CCs and apparently the Amazon Prime Visa has no FTFs, so that is nice. Didn't even realize that.

I already took the time to download all of my Kindle books and threw them into a Calibre library, so the hard part is done. I will miss the Whispersync between my Kindle and phone, but it's not that big of a deal, I guess.

Ooooh, I dunno about that. I miss WhisperSync tremendously every time I decide to take my Kobo for a spin. I can't use Kobo's tablet app, it's absolute garbage. So I usually manual sync between the Kobo Aura and iBooks like some kind of dope.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone remember if there was some sort of page refresh option on the nook? Where it would refresh every time instead of every couple pages?

I can't find the setting in, well, settings and I can't recall the right words to help with a google search, but I'd like to get it back to the old school way of page turning.

Dunno if I'm losing my mind or if this really exists.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

There never was an option, but when I used to have a nook you could modify the xml settings to change it. Apparently they removed even that option.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1699481

edit: there might be a way to do it if you root your device and install this thing

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=71938111&postcount=434

jesus christ the nook is a trash fire

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 23, 2018

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
There's a promotion on Amazon today for books from around the world. http://amzn.to/2DHQ7ig

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

A couple, if not all, of those were monthly prime books.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

It came.

Was a pleasant out of box experience. Felt good in the hands as I anticipated after handling the Oasis 2 prior. Converted my Kindle books to their offshoot epub format, kepub, to take advantage of the format's features and loaded them up, bought a book on the Kobo store to check things out though I was supposed to get 5 bucks off my first book so I guess I'll have to contact support on that. LED array is mostly fine, not as good as the Oasis 2's, but I'm not minding it. Better than my Paperwhite's more obvious light shafts however. One weird thing though is that they included an extra micro USB cable in the shipment. Only thing I can tell is that the extra one is Kobo branded. Hope the one that's in the box doesn't have problems. :tinfoil:

Gonna pick up my first library card in like 20 years this week to check out the Overdrive stuff.

It was worth the extra inch.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 27, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It came.

It was worth the extra inch.

Maybe it's my lack of sleep today, but this had me giggling.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
I got my Aura One (non-exclusive edition because I don't read comics or anything) and it feels good in the hand. I agree that the lighting is not as even as my Oasis1 or the Oasis2 I tried out for a month, but it's not bad at all. It is lighter than I anticipated.

Holy poo poo is getting books to format properly awful, though. I converted my Kindle books to epub with Calibre, by default line spacing is jacked up. I figured out to fix that with some CSS tweaking but now every paragraph has a line break. Removing that in Calibre also removes and section breaks, which I find pretty annoying.

Is there a guide anywhere to get formatting to act as it should?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Ban Folklore posted:

I got my Aura One (non-exclusive edition because I don't read comics or anything) and it feels good in the hand. I agree that the lighting is not as even as my Oasis1 or the Oasis2 I tried out for a month, but it's not bad at all. It is lighter than I anticipated.

Holy poo poo is getting books to format properly awful, though. I converted my Kindle books to epub with Calibre, by default line spacing is jacked up. I figured out to fix that with some CSS tweaking but now every paragraph has a line break. Removing that in Calibre also removes and section breaks, which I find pretty annoying.

KoReader is compatible with all of the Kindle formats, I think. I like its features a lot on the Kindle side, and there are even more on a Kobo. Is it compatible with the Aura One? If so, that might be a solution.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Ban Folklore posted:

I’ll have to go through more of my converted books since I didn’t notice anything out of the 2 or 3 I looked at but I only used Calibre for DRM stripping and initial epub conversion but used kepubify to do a final version of kepub which gives you extra features on the Kobo.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 28, 2018

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I’ll have to go through more of my converted books since I didn’t notice anything out of the 2 or 3 I looked at but I only used Calibre for DRM stripping and initial epub conversion but used kepubify to do a final version of kepub which gives you extra features on the Kobo.

Thanks! This seems to have done the trick. I used Calibre to strip DRM and convert to epub with default settings, and ran the files through kepubify. All formatting for the 3 books I tested looked good. If I used anything other than default settings for the initial conversion to epub there seemed to be issues.

The page numbering is a little weird but that's probably to be expected. I also noticed that italics are rendering as bolded italics on the "Bookerly" font that I sideloaded. I really like that font so I'll have to see if I can get that working properly.

Now I can actually use this thing to see if I like it or not.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Picked up my new library card from the county and man, the built-in Overdrive support on the Kobo Aura One is slick as poo poo. Don't need to touch Adobe Digital Editions at all.

Edit: Or go through a bajillion steps to get it on a Kindle for that matter.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can someone with one of the giant drive kindle oasis or kobo auro ones try to load up a few gigs of books on there and see if it loads and works? As a USB drive and in calibre, I mean.

The reason I ask is I want to get one or the other, but with my nook, if I load up a ton of books the nook just flat out stops responding and I can't easily add more to it.

I don't want to drop 300 bucks on a bigger ereader if the only thing it'll do when I load a shitton of books is just stop me from ever adding anything else.

It'd be cool to have my entire collection on one ereader.