Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Anidav posted:

There's like 7 different bins(glass, metal, plastic, food, ect) and they have bin inspectors that fine you if you put the wrong poo poo in the wrong bin. Fast forward decades later and categorising rubbish is basically apart of Japanese household culture. Where if you put the wrong poo poo in the wrong bin your Japanese mom will beat the poo poo out of you and say Ora Ora~ afterwards.

When I was living in Sweden my student dorms recycling bins went like this:
- Paper
- Cardboard
- Organic
- Metal (like tins)
- Clear glass
- Dark glass
- Plastics
- Other poo poo that doesnt meet that criteria

There was 8 bins for each corridor (14 per building, and about 20 buildings), and the poo poo worked. People sorted their rubbish accordingly. Aside from the occasional angry glare the locals would give their exchange student counterparts when they seldomly didnt put rubbish in the correct bin, there was no need to police it.

Every single can of soft drink or beer and soft-drink bottles (500ml, 1lt, 2lt) was recycled at supermarkets where we got between 10 and 25 cents (1-2kr). From these proceeds we usually just spend it on more alcohol. Or cleaning material for our common areas, which ever was more urgent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

We sort ours at home pretty seriously, to the point that our recycling bing was usually overflowing by mid-cycle (fortnightly cycle) and our red bin never had more than 2-3 shopping bags worth of rubbish in it each week.We also compost any organic waste that we can so that cuts down heaps too. Im kind of surprised that so few councils collect garden waste bins (my parents in the Shire have them, nowhere else I have lived has green waste bins?). We also collect soft plastics and drop them off at Coles once a month.

I think the amount of recycling that we collect at our home however is more an indication of how much packaging things include these days, rather than a sign of how little 'waste' garbage we produce. so much poo poo has unnecessary packaging.

what I wonder, is where all these products that have high-recycled material content get their recycled material from, if we dont process it here?

surely the impact on the environment from shipping in packaging made from 100% recycled materials from china is worse than producing new ones here.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

We had the green waste bins when I lived in Port Macquarie but I've never seen them anywhere else.
They seemed like a very good idea and cut down massively on the amount of rubbish that went into our red bin.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/jrhennessy/status/984625495374352384

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Ler posted:

Every single can of soft drink or beer and soft-drink bottles (500ml, 1lt, 2lt) was recycled at supermarkets where we got between 10 and 25 cents (1-2kr). From these proceeds we usually just spend it on more alcohol. Or cleaning material for our common areas, which ever was more urgent.

So alcohol every time huh?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CrazyTolradi posted:

Not enough sprouts

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Dishonoured 3 looking good

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Oh poo poo

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-18/corruption-watchdog-hits-former-ipswich-council-ceo-and-wife/9672986

Ipswich, what a place.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Domain releases an article on the Melbourne apartment market telling people that:

quote:

The golden rule when buying and selling residential property is that the more heavily supplied the market segment, the more likely it is that prices will fall.

According to a market analysis released this month by Capital Economics, apartment prices in Melbourne could fall 8 per cent this year and by 4 per cent in Sydney.

“The apartment market is struggling,” Mr O’Shaughnessy said. “Buyers are very price sensitive and the owners don’t want to accept the reality of the value of their property.”

While it's somewhat amazing that Domain is even releasing an article containing those quotes (despite the fact they follow them up with poo poo like: "Such buyer-friendly conditions are tossing up opportunities for astute first-home buyers"), here's what's happening in Melbourne at the same time:

Note: This is only showing inner city Melb and only developments of over 50 dwellings. The source is somewhat unknown in terms of reliability but it's the best I could find without in-depth research. Source: http://www.jll.com.au/australia/en-au/Research/Melbourne%20Apartment%20Market%20Commentary%20April%202017.pdf

Now obviously, all the apartments in that graph wont be built if the market tanks, but even so when this poo poo crashes it's going to be absolutely massive.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

BBJoey posted:

i read catherine murphy’s piece on credlin and frydenberg and wow it’s really bad

:qq: at least frydenberg is trying to do something (even if it’s really poo poo)

That piece is just a big IM SICK OF POLITICS thing, honestly she needs time out or a new job. But what more can you say about Credlin really, nobody's saying no to her so she continues on doing whatever the gently caress it is she thinks she's doing. Murphy also has a problem being mean about younger politicians, that comes up a lot.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Anidav posted:

There's like 7 different bins(glass, metal, plastic, food, ect) and they have bin inspectors that fine you if you put the wrong poo poo in the wrong bin. Fast forward decades later and categorising rubbish is basically apart of Japanese household culture. Where if you put the wrong poo poo in the wrong bin your Japanese mom will beat the poo poo out of you and say Ora Ora~ afterwards.

Problem with this system is that it relies on people being Japanese and giving a poo poo. We pat ourselves on the back for being good recyclers here but I seriously doubt most Australians could be hosed thinking about it this much.

e: also not one of those bins says "anime" so I refuse to believe it's real.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

If we're not just shipping it all to Ipswich we could always hand the garbage sorting job to work for the dole lol

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I give a poo poo!

I dump my tinnies in the yellow bin and the garden poo poo in the green bin and the other poo poo in the red bin

Mate

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

I dump all my garbage in the Vinnies bin because I'm true blue

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Sparticle posted:

I dump all my garbage in this thread because I'm true spew

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

also we should copy japan and have 5 public bins that are all barricaded shut because ~terrorism~

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
We need a bin for potatoes.

Just the one.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Just dump everything at the servo once every six months like a proper 'strayan YES I NOTICED YOU, YES YOU

Wheezle posted:

e: also not one of those bins says "anime" so I refuse to believe it's real.

That's the the incinerator bin is for.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Hilarious how we outsourced all the waste collectors to contractors and they all simultaneously decided to send it all to Ipswich then Ipswich is like go ahead. Look, even the yellow bins are for you!

I wonder if these companies just bribe Ipswich Council to infinity and in 30 years time the place will explode like a volcano made of glass, plastic and cans.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Then they will build a golf course over it and pretend nothing happened.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

Hilarious how we outsourced all the waste collectors to contractors and they all simultaneously decided to send it all to Ipswich then Ipswich is like go ahead. Look, even the yellow bins are for you!

I wonder if these companies just bribe Ipswich Council to infinity and in 30 years time the place will explode like a volcano made of glass, plastic and cans.
Plenty of Queensland left to use when Ipswich gets full of garbage.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Pay back for cane toads

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CrazyTolradi posted:

Plenty of Queensland left to use when Ipswich gets full of garbage.

Just pile it over the top until the garbage pile exceeds the height of Everest.

Mount Ipswich. Bring a HAZMAT suit as well as high altitude breathing apparatus for your climb.

Don't forget your local bogan sherpas.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Big Willy Style posted:

Pay back for cane toads, XXXX, Peter Dutton, George Brandis and Pauline Hanson

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Just pile it over the top until the garbage pile exceeds the height of Everest.

Mount Ipswich. Bring a HAZMAT suit as well as high altitude breathing apparatus for your climb.

Don't forget your local bogan sherpas.

Election soon fellow Stalker

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

Then they will build a golf course over it and pretend nothing happened.

Ah, so you're familiar with Burswood then.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
ipswich does have a lot of disused mine shafts, surely they can dump rubbish in those consequence free forever?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Don Dongington posted:

Ah, so you're familiar with Burswood then.

Not enough contaminated earth from industrial activities, it's just rubbish, not rubbish and offspill.

EDIT: I heard a rumor that 80 odd percent of the contaminated earth that's been dug up has been lost during the development, meaning they have no idea where it's gone lol.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
It irks me that I can’t put Nespresso pods in the yellow wheelie bin and I cannot be hosed dropping them off at a special recycling point.

There needs to be more pressure on companies producing the packaging and not just on the consumer. I recycle as much as possible but hosed if I’m going out of my way or buying a return satchel.

coffee snobs come at me

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
The consumer focus of recycling is entirely the product of lobbying by the manufacturers who create the waste. They got in first in the 50s or something. Kinda like how they knew the obesity crisis was coming since the 80s or 90s but they hosed us all for a cheap buck

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

bigis posted:

It irks me that I can’t put Nespresso pods in the yellow wheelie bin and I cannot be hosed dropping them off at a special recycling point.

There needs to be more pressure on companies producing the packaging and not just on the consumer. I recycle as much as possible but hosed if I’m going out of my way or buying a return satchel.

coffee snobs come at me
Here's what you do:
Get a real espresso machine. Make a small grid in your garden. Dump your daily coffee grounds into a single square. Repeat this process until the whole grid is full. At this point the first square will have decomposed and you can start over.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I buy my coffees from a local cafe run by a small businessman because I'm a lifter.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Sparticle posted:

Here's what you do:
Get a real espresso machine. Make a small grid in your garden. Dump your daily coffee grounds into a single square. Repeat this process until the whole grid is full. At this point the first square will have decomposed and you can start over.

:golfclap:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

bigis posted:

coffee snobs come at me

buy biodegradable pods

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
We don't need the NBN because 5g.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/fed...418-p4za8x.html

Also roads should be congested, and stadiums shouldn't be funded except maybe they should be, a bit. Power prices are fine though.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Don Dongington posted:

We need a bin for potatoes.

Just the one.

We do, it's called the Federal Parliament House

Resident Idiot posted:

We don't need the NBN because 5g.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/fed...418-p4za8x.html

Also roads should be congested, and stadiums shouldn't be funded except maybe they should be, a bit. Power prices are fine though.

gently caress non technical morons who think wireless/5G is a good substitute for proper fibre.

Ah, the economics editor wrote that piece. Says it all.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

You Am I posted:

We do, it's called the Federal Parliament House

gently caress non technical morons who think wireless/5G is a good substitute for proper fibre.

Ah, the economics editor wrote that piece. Says it all.

Why pay for expensive fibre to be installed when the connection is like all around us in the air man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

more like tipswich

• Locked thread