Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pander posted:

I can't see Rachel Maddow or Chris Hayes ever having any moral failings, they seem like genuinely good people and I will fight anyone suggesting otherwise :colbert:

they're both democratic establishment hacks by dint of being on msnbc in primetime, but in maddow's case by her own admission she's nowhere near as left wing as people make her out to be

hayes though, it's a shame because he really does know better but he was never gonna make cable news money at the nation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Giggy posted:

What did Matthews do?

My bad. I meant Brian Williams

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 18, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

they're both democratic establishment hacks by dint of being on msnbc in primetime, but in maddow's case by her own admission she's nowhere near as left wing as people make her out to be

hayes though, it's a shame because he really does know better but he was never gonna make cable news money at the nation

Maddow has gotten pretty loving crazy with Russia conspiracy poo poo since Trump won.

Hayes seems like an okay guy on Twitter but it’s extremely obvious that MSNBC tells him what to and what not to say sometimes.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Maddow has gotten pretty loving crazy with Russia conspiracy poo poo since Trump won.

Hayes seems like an okay guy on Twitter but it’s extremely obvious that MSNBC tells him what to and what not to say sometimes.

In what way?

I find his deference to more conservative guests to be his achilles heel, but I haven't noticed him adopting particularly bad takes of his own.

And Maddow goes full bore on anything she feels she broke. She led with Chris Christie Bridgegate poo poo for like a solid two years straight, because she felt she owned the story. Russia's kinda been her beat. If you've read her book you know American foreign policy and domestic graft/corruption are her beats, so it makes pretty good sense that Russia stuff is gonna be prominent on her show.

She mostly just focuses on highlighting undersold stuff or recapping the big picture to show how things tie together, rather than wholesale conspiracy-mongering like Mensch/Abramson do. If you have fatigue it's understandable, but I don't see it as a failing on her part to keep focus on news she feels she broke.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's still conspiracy nonsense grasping at straws 9 times out of 10. Also, who can forget the big rear end scoop of Donald Trump's tax returns from 2003! Wow! Such journalism!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Phone posted:

It's still conspiracy nonsense grasping at straws 9 times out of 10. Also, who can forget the big rear end scoop of Donald Trump's tax returns from 2003! Wow! Such journalism!

And she more than anyone brings up that it was an overhyped dud. When's the last time you've seen Sean Hannity rizz himself for all the times he's botched a lead?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still can't get over how Maddow over hyped (on twitter, a few hours before it aired) a bad scoop once and apparently its the defining moment of her journalistic career.

What's conspiratorial about Maddow's stuff? The thing with Maddow is that she's an EXHAUSTIVE researcher. Which is why she digs so deep into stories when they get her attention. Bridgegate. Flint. Now Russia. I haven't watched every episode of Maddow. I catch her 2 or 3 times a week (and despite a heavy focus not every episode is about Russia). I can't say she hasn't grasped at straws or made leaps. But I've never actually seen anyone who lobs that criticism at her back it up. I've seen a lot of instances where she dug deep into something that broke later and turned out to be true. I've seen her deliberately leap to a conclusion and point it out as a leap. But I've never seen the kind of "conspiracy obsession" that I hear her accused of from people like both Tucker Carlson and Glenn Greenwald. And like I said, I never really see anyone actually making the case just dismissing her with a handwave.

Which don't get me wrong, part of the reason I don't watch nightly anymore is because I just don't want to hear about Russia THAT much. But I always get to that point where Maddow where she cares more about a subject than I do.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Pointing out hypocrisy is a completely worthless tool.

It's not ultimately impressive that Maddow has infinitely more self-reflection than Sean Hannity. A dog looking at itself in the mirror has more self-reflection than Hannity.

E: Russia is a red herring. If you want to go pin all of your hopes and dreams that russian russians did a russia in russia with noted russian vladimir putin at the helm of the biggest russia russia has ever seen, go for it. It's not groundbreaking news that stateless oligarchs are a bunch of assholes, but I'm sure that a few 100k in facebook ads really was the undoing of the facsimile of American democracy.

Phone fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 18, 2018

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
all cable news is garbage, it's a rotten format that is terrible for actual news

radio is far better for people telling the news at you because the overheads are much lower so they dont need to crank so hard to remain profitable. or you just straight up beg for money

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Hannity loves the bunny ranch

https://twitter.com/ALT_uscis/status/986256163011428357

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

boner confessor posted:

all cable news is garbage, it's a rotten format that is terrible for actual news

radio is far better for people telling the news at you because the overheads are much lower so they dont need to crank so hard to remain profitable. or you just straight up beg for money

If you're watching cable news to learn the news for more than an hour or less you're probably wasting your time. I think Hayes does a good job of the classic "spend an hour with me and I'll give you the day's news in US politics". Cooper's good at that CNN is generally more "breaking news" obsessed to cover stories from earlier in the day. Maddow is one of the few places on cable news I think you can consistently "learn" something, but its entirely possible it won't be something you care to learn. Its why I think its weird that she's so commonly the target of this argument. If you're looking to better understand the world through primetime cable news you're probably making some bad choices. There's endless news sources, podcasts, radio, magazines, books, videos, etc out there at your finger tips that would do a better job. I don't think any of us would disagree with that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There hasn't been useful cable news outside of real emergency situations since CNN canned the original CNN Headline News channel's format.

What had been a useful video version of major market radio 24/7 news like KYW 1060 instead became yet another useless talking head showpiece.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Phone posted:

E: Russia is a red herring. If you want to go pin all of your hopes and dreams that russian russians did a russia in russia with noted russian vladimir putin at the helm of the biggest russia russia has ever seen, go for it. It's not groundbreaking news that stateless oligarchs are a bunch of assholes, but I'm sure that a few 100k in facebook ads really was the undoing of the facsimile of American democracy.
Okay Glenn. I'm sure there's absolutely zero kompromat or shady dealings that have given Putin leverage on Trump to the point of kowtowing and unabashed deference.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Pander posted:

In what way?

If you follow Hayes on Twitter he espouses and endorses views much more left-wing than anything you could get away with saying on TV. I know, because he doesn't say them on TV.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

STAC Goat posted:

I still can't get over how Maddow over hyped (on twitter, a few hours before it aired) a bad scoop once and apparently its the defining moment of her journalistic career.

What's conspiratorial about Maddow's stuff? The thing with Maddow is that she's an EXHAUSTIVE researcher. Which is why she digs so deep into stories when they get her attention. Bridgegate. Flint. Now Russia. I haven't watched every episode of Maddow. I catch her 2 or 3 times a week (and despite a heavy focus not every episode is about Russia). I can't say she hasn't grasped at straws or made leaps. But I've never actually seen anyone who lobs that criticism at her back it up. I've seen a lot of instances where she dug deep into something that broke later and turned out to be true. I've seen her deliberately leap to a conclusion and point it out as a leap. But I've never seen the kind of "conspiracy obsession" that I hear her accused of from people like both Tucker Carlson and Glenn Greenwald. And like I said, I never really see anyone actually making the case just dismissing her with a handwave.

Which don't get me wrong, part of the reason I don't watch nightly anymore is because I just don't want to hear about Russia THAT much. But I always get to that point where Maddow where she cares more about a subject than I do.

lol Don't be naive.

She's been happily regurgitating talking points from cozy IC leakers ever since Trump won due to a deep mutual hatred of Orange Hitler, and guess what—it's working for her ratings! She's simply prioritizing the Fox News business model of ratings before facts, xenophobia, etc. Her hysterical neoconservative views towards Syria and Russia have gotten so bad that even the leftist show Our Cartoon President regularly lampoons her.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The Russia stuff is 100% worthless and will go nowhere and the hashtag resistance should be focusing their efforts on support for actual progressive policies instead of cheerleading the loving FBI but this is hell timeline so :lol:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

It basically means, in the course of a legal case, that you're allowed to say "between you and me?" and discuss things pertinent to a case, often in a hypothetical sense, that may or may not be introduced into evidence, but it doesn't allow you admit to, plot or commit a crime and, to large extent, is there to protect the attorney since it's their job to represent you regardless of you guilt or innocence.

The Attorney-Client privilege absolutely covers admission of crime. That's like, most of the reason that it was first implemented - so the accused could tell his attorney everything about what they're being accused of. Without providing 100% honesty to your attorney, how could they setup a coherent legal defense? So long as they're not actively trying to still commit crimes with the assistance of the attorney, or be party to a crime being committed, they're protected.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Previa_fun posted:

The Russia stuff is 100% worthless and will go nowhere and the hashtag resistance should be focusing their efforts on support for actual progressive policies instead of cheerleading the loving FBI but this is hell timeline so :lol:

the #theresistance people often aren't actually progressives :ssh:
It's this, but with Trump:

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

viral spiral posted:

Her hysterical neoconservative views towards Syria and Russia...

:raise:

Really? That's the one you're going with? You want anyone to take you seriously when you accuse Rachel Maddow of being "hysterical"? Because I can't hear you over the sound of her doing another ten minute preamble about the 70's political landscape before even touching on today's news.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Zipperelli. posted:

The Attorney-Client privilege absolutely covers admission of crime. That's like, most of the reason that it was first implemented - so the accused could tell his attorney everything about what they're being accused of. Without providing 100% honesty to your attorney, how could they setup a coherent legal defense? So long as they're not actively trying to still commit crimes with the assistance of the attorney, or be party to a crime being committed, they're protected.
Well kinda. You still can't lie to the court.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 18, 2018

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Zipperelli. posted:

My understanding is that attorney-client privilige protects you if you admit to a crime you have already committed but does not cover crimes you plan on committing if you discuss them with your attorney. "Yeah I killed that guy" is covered, "As soon as I'm done talking to you I'm going to go kill the eyewitness" is not. Can someone who knows anything at all about law confirm/deny?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Nope. As an officer of the court, you have a duty to the law and to report any confessed crimes. Have you never heard a lawyer lead someone into not confessing, but giving the hypothetical needed to build a defense?

No.

Source: My personal attorney I keep on retainer not Cohen has told me directly, multiple times, including when I was arrested for armed robbery, that confessing to the crime to her, once retained, is protected information. Basically it helps them by having a 100% understanding of the case and evidence, and also let's them know that you should absolutely NOT be getting on the stand to testify, because you'd get shredded on cross-exam. No attorney can be compelled to go into court like a tattle tale "HE DID IT! HE TOLD ME SO!"

Zipperelli. fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 18, 2018

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yea. I guess I'm thinking more of the affirmative, where they are really painted into a corner, because they still can't purger themselves.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Yea. I guess I'm thinking more of the affirmative, where they are really painted into a corner, because they still can't purger themselves.

"If a client tells his/her attorney "I am guilty of the charges against me," a lawyer cannot ethically argue that the client is innocent, or allow the client to tell a false story, such that he/she was 10 miles away when the crimes took place. Therefore, an admission of guilt to an attorney may limit what an attorney can ethically do at trial as part of a defense. However, such an admission would have no impact on the defendant's ability to plead not guilty."

Long story short, they can't be forced to rat you out, but they also can't put you in a position to tell a lie in court, ie: testimony, however, they can still sit and allow you to plead not guilty, because the onus of finding guilt is on the state/government.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i think some people get confused because attorney-client privilege doesn't cover a client and an attorney committing a crime together so they think it means if an attorney finds out about a crime they gotta rat.

Previa_fun posted:

yeah i don't think a lot of liberals get that it isn't a trump card. when you bring this up in the trump thread they get pretty steamed. it's not like if ted cruz won without russia's help we'd be in a materially better position (and trump wins without russian interference anyway). republicans would vote for anyone with an R next to their name - the guy is already one of the worst presidents ever and still has an 80+ approval rating with republicans.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 18, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Zipperelli. posted:

No.

Source: My personal attorney I keep on retainer not Cohen has told me directly, multiple times, including when I was arrested for armed robbery, that confessing to the crime to her, once retained, is protected information. Basically it helps them by having a 100% understanding of the case and evidence, and also let's them know that you should absolutely NOT be getting on the stand to testify, because you'd get shredded on cross-exam. No attorney can be compelled to go into court like a tattle tale "HE DID IT! HE TOLD ME SO!"

The gently caress?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The gently caress?

What’s confusing about that

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The gently caress?

People who commit crime are fairly normal and generally do it for mundane reasons, and don't live in some kind of alternative reality, is apparently a shock to you?

"Armed robbery" covers everything from "had a pocket knife and stole a Twinkie" to "robbed a bank with an assault rifle," remember.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

most of us don't steal things. but also innocent people are arrested for crimes on the regular.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
I've gone into this in detail in the prison thread, but the tl;dr is I did a lot of dumb poo poo at 18 years old and spent 5 years, 2 months and 8 days in state prison for armed robbery.

I keep the same attorney on retainer, and plan to until 2020, which is 10 years post-release. This is solely for things like rural areas where their databases may not be updated or errors may occur showing me as currently incarcerated, and I'm arrested because they think I've escaped (it's happened to a buddy of mine, so it has basis in reality, no matter how rare).

The gently caress?

Use your words. What's so confusing about being arrested for armed robbery that you felt the need to bold it?

Zipperelli. fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Apr 18, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I thought an actual goon was admitting to armed-robbery almost casually in the middle of a post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPRwro-LI24

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 18, 2018

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

I thought an actual goon was admitting to armed-robbery almost casually in the middle of a post.

:shrug: Yeah, I did.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Zipperelli. posted:

:shrug: Yeah, I did.

Technically, you admitted to nothing beyond being arrested.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I heard Limbaugh yesterday say, "you want to talk about conflict of interest? The judge overseeing Cohen's hearing was almost appointed to the attorney general by BILL CLINTON"

I'm starting to think these guys are unhinged.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Glenn Beck's enduring contribution was that getting the names on the chalkboard was more important than why you put them there.

Because at the end of the segment BILL CLINTON and JUDGE and COHEN are all on the board, and human caveman brain can't help but associate them.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Glenn Beck's signature has been him being very melodramatic and saying a few strings of words that sound important and scary when spoken together. My personal favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rPqiLLHcxQ&t=253s

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

I heard Limbaugh yesterday say, "you want to talk about conflict of interest? The judge overseeing Cohen's hearing was almost appointed to the attorney general by BILL CLINTON"

I'm starting to think these guys are unhinged.

NPR says she was appointed by Ronald Reagan. Google confirms.

So this is just a blatant loving lie then.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Radish posted:

Hannity might be stupid enough to not know what's real or not but Rush is smart enough to know everything he's saying is a lie.

this is why I can listen to limbaugh much easier than hannity.
There is a bit of craft to what limbaugh does but hannity is just dumb idiot saying the first stupid thing he can think of.

sean hannity is the worst

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

NPR says she was appointed by Ronald Reagan. Google confirms.

So this is just a blatant loving lie then.

She was appointed to her position by Reagan. Clinton considered her for AG then backed off of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Zerilan posted:

She was appointed to her position by Reagan. Clinton considered her for AG then backed off of it.

Ah, Ok. I mis-read that post. Then wtf is he trying to imply though? ALMOST appointed? So?