Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Bitcoin, Ether are ON THE RISE, says Attorney General

Another crypto victory, even the government is scared and recognizes bitcoins inevitability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

I saw this very interesting looking lambo on my drive home today. URL says kennbosak.com, I didn't think about turning off my headlights while taking it.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
Come to think of it, yea, where are the lambos and bugattis with the stickers "I GOT THIS FROM BITCOIN"? That would have piqued quite the attention.

From the IRS.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

I am hella PEEVED posted:

I saw this very interesting looking lambo on my drive home today. URL says kennbosak.com, I didn't think about turning off my headlights while taking it.

Ask a guy driving a 2001 Hyundai about investing all your lifesavings!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I am hella PEEVED posted:

For those of you who haven't been watching this poo poo for 6+ years like my dumb rear end I want to explain something: Nearly every single bitcoiner is as much of an idiot loser as this person is. I know parts of your brain don't want to blanket a group so much but seriously these are some of the most basic dumb mother fuckers I've ever seen on the Internet. The only people who aren't are the ones that grab all the money and run.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
wasnt there a literal "ponzicoin" that did that

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

LethalGeek posted:

For those of you who haven't been watching this poo poo for 6+ years like my dumb rear end I want to explain something: Nearly every single bitcoiner is as much of an idiot loser as this person is. I know parts of your brain don't want to blanket a group so much but seriously these are some of the most basic dumb mother fuckers I've ever seen on the Internet. The only people who aren't are the ones that grab all the money and run.

Comfy seems to hold a differing opinion. :shrug:

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

LethalGeek posted:

It really is no different than any other get rich quick scheme. Some people lack the motivation and inclination to actually work for what they want, so they spend all of their energy on trying to find a loophole. Of course every loophole they explore will end up costing them more in opportunity and actual money than if they put their efforts towards something more useful. People who think like that (Ham Sammies????) are usually not the sharpest tools in the shed in the first place.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

wid posted:

Come to think of it, yea, where are the lambos and bugattis with the stickers "I GOT THIS FROM BITCOIN"? That would have piqued quite the attention.

From the IRS.

I live in south Florida and see Maseratis and poo poo every day, but nobody has a bitcoin sticker ???

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
actually nobody has any stickers so that’s probably why

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I've only seen one fancy car with stickers, and it was a Tesla with Bernie stickers on it lol

I don't live in like a super rich city though

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

This is good for Bitcoin.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

LethalGeek posted:

For those of you who haven't been watching this poo poo for 6+ years like my dumb rear end I want to explain something: Nearly every single bitcoiner is as much of a temporarily embarassed millionaire as this person is.

fixed

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
wanna get that bumper sticker so i can tell people bitcoin is retarded

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

wid posted:

From the IRS.

I know a few people who made lambo money off of the bitcoin bubble but for some odd reason they liquidated the bulk of their position ages ago and did things like pay capital gains tax and shovel most of the proceeds into other investment vehicles.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Virtue posted:

I know a few people who made lambo money off of the bitcoin bubble but for some odd reason they liquidated the bulk of their position ages ago and did things like pay capital gains tax and shovel most of the proceeds into other investment vehicles.

Other investment vehicles like a boat for horses?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Virtue posted:

lol

hey yeah uh i totally made all this money - do i have anything to show for it? uh, no but i totally did make all that money its just uh... tied up and stuff. yeah

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Most people smart enough to sell at a profit are smart enough not to buy a lambo with it.

Someone had to be selling at $20k for someone to be buying at $20k. It's not beyond imagination that one of those people had more than a few satoshi.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Aredna posted:

Most people smart enough to sell at a profit are smart enough not to buy a lambo with it.

Someone had to be selling at $20k for someone to be buying at $20k. It's not beyond imagination that one of those people had more than a few satoshi.

But their likely cost basis is not ~$0/BTC; it's more likely to be around $20k/BTC

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

QuarkJets posted:

But their likely cost basis is not ~$0/BTC; it's more likely to be around $20k/BTC
I think this is people who either bought some 4 years ago or who mined some butts up back in 2011 and realized "wait, my old hard drive is now worth $230k"

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
https://blog.unchained-capital.com/bitcoin-data-science-pt-1-hodl-waves-7f3501d53f63

HODL analysis and how much "stale" bitcoin gets sold off during each rally.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nessus posted:

I think this is people who either bought some 4 years ago or who mined some butts up back in 2011 and realized "wait, my old hard drive is now worth $230k"

People who were mining in 2011 probably sold in 2012. Back when bitcoin spiked to $20 it was thought to be a great time to sell

People who mined back then and didn't sell are the true believers who will never sell regardless. Remember that poll of the true believers where they were all vowing to not sell anything until bitcoin reached $200k (on average)? Those people aren't making any money on this, they're holding their tokens until the end of time

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

QuarkJets posted:

People who were mining in 2011 probably sold in 2012. Back when bitcoin spiked to $20 it was thought to be a great time to sell

People who mined back then and didn't sell are the true believers who will never sell regardless. Remember that poll of the true believers where they were all vowing to not sell anything until bitcoin reached $200k (on average)? Those people aren't making any money on this, they're holding their tokens until the end of time

Or they lost their coins on Mt.Gox.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You're underestimating the amount of nerds who would have turned a miner on their media server or whatever spare box they had, forgot about it at some point because hey it's just a dumb fad, and it got stuck in the closet.

It's like finding out your slackware partition you installed on a lark had the lottery numbers in it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

zedprime posted:

It's like finding out your slackware partition you installed on a lark had the lottery numbers in it.

Dammit, I knew I shouldn't have formatted that drive.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Risc1911 posted:

Or they lost their coins on Mt.Gox.

Ehm, nobody lost any bitcoins on Magic the Gathering Online Exchange. Mark (did nothing wrong and) just made it easier for weak hands to hodl.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
caught a glimpse of my coworker looking at what looked like http://cryptowat.ch today, i hope he doesn't have anything invested and is just looking at exchange rates for cyber drug-bux

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Found someone hodling since 16th century

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

quote:

Amazon wins patent for data feed marketplace that could include bitcoin transactions

* The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Tuesday approved an Amazon.com subsidiary's September 2014 filing for a patent that can correlate different data streams and sell the combined feed in a marketplace.

* In one example of a possible use case, the filing described "a data stream that publishes or includes global bitcoin transactions (or any crypto currency transaction)."

* The second example discussed how a law enforcement agency may want to receive data on global bitcoin transactions that is linked to internet and physical shipping addresses.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/18/amazon-wins-patent-for-data-feed-marketplace.html

this would potentially help law enforcement track bitcoin users

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Holy bullshit patent Batman. Seriously, I couldn't care less about the butt example, but aggregating, processing, and selling resulting data? THAT is getting a patent? Wtf??

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

We honestly don't really need the help, but still, thanks I guess Amazon

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Anyone who thinks Bitcoin is anonymous or hard to track is a retard who will never comprehend that it is one of the least anonymous payment methods

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Sentient Data posted:

Holy bullshit patent Batman. Seriously, I couldn't care less about the butt example, but aggregating, processing, and selling resulting data? THAT is getting a patent? Wtf??
idk probably because "bitcoin"

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sentient Data posted:

That’s like a lot of patents? Idgi

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
IP and business process patents are all crap and should be invalidated, but that one takes the cake since it basically patents the entire field of analytics

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Blade Runner posted:

Anyone who thinks Bitcoin is anonymous or hard to track is a retard who will never comprehend that it is one of the least anonymous payment methods

I know when I am looking to conceal financial data I look first to public ledgers

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
ill just stop correlating data now :rip:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

https://gizmodo.com/man-suspected-of-stealing-600-bitcoin-mining-rigs-break-1825360142/amp

"Either this man is really good at doing crimes or Iceland is really bad at security. Authorities say a man who is suspected of being the mastermind behind the theft of $2 million worth of bitcoin mining equipment has escaped the Icelandic prison where he was being held. What’s more, he allegedly hopped a flight on the same plane as the Icelandic Prime Minister."

Stay safe, Bitcoin Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wamdoodle posted:

"Authorities say a man who is suspected of being the mastermind behind the theft of $2 million worth of bitcoin mining equipment has escaped the Icelandic prison where he was being held. What’s more, he allegedly hopped a flight on the same plane as the Icelandic Prime Minister."

Stay safe, Bitcoin Ghost