Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

FDR would have been on the battleship if it sank, which is clear evidence of their inherent risks.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Ask us about military history:

Well, it does put things into perspective. Nowadays it's near-impossible to poop and poo poo yourself to death, but imagine a 19th century naval invasion of Iraq.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm'a gonna start an argument with Jobbo_Fett and maybe Bewbies

here I go

[ahem]

"IF THE GERMANS HAD LICENSE PRODUCED DC-3s LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE, THEIR AIRLIFTS WOULD HAVE GONE SLIGHTLY BETTER."

Sure. Anything to stop them from using gliders and outdated planes (BUT THEY BETTER KEEP ME-323s OR SO HELP ME GOD I WILL MURDERKILL YOU INTO THE GROUND!)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I figure it's more of a general history question rather than a military one and I'm like 90% sure this topic has been broached before though I don't recall where let alone when, but what if anything was the general thread consensus on the "HRE being neither holy, roman, or empire" observation? I think it was originally by Voltaire but being French I also imagine there might have been some bias at play

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar posted:

You could write a dark Blackadder comedy on that whole farce.

It's very Young Doctor's Notebook.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

I figure it's more of a general history question rather than a military one and I'm like 90% sure this topic has been broached before though I don't recall where let alone when, but what if anything was the general thread consensus on the "HRE being neither holy, roman, or empire" observation? I think it was originally by Voltaire but being French I also imagine there might have been some bias at play

I mean, it's going to depend when you're talking about. Earlier on HRE emperors were crowned by the pope in Rome, then something something investiture controversy something something Guelphs and Ghibellines.

Hey Gal probably has words re: the 17th century incarnation, but bear in mind it was around for a good thousand years or so.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I am going to find the source for that absurd story about the Royal Navy polishing watertight doors until they were useless and beat them with an oar, unless they're dead, in which case I shall dig them up and then beat their moldering remains with an oar.

That story is seriously so idiotic I can't believe anyone with a passing knowledge of ships would believe it for a second. I don't know about the rest of the thread but I've had to fiddle with watertight doors, though I've never had to take on off its hinges because you don't do that on museum ships. They weigh, at least, hundreds of pounds and are attached to the hatchways with giant steel nuts and bolts. Taking one down just to polish it would be an all-day job for a sizable number of men who'd be much more gainfully employed cleaning everything else around the drat door. Not to mention the amount of polishing to make a watertight door no longer watertight would have to be immense, because again they're made of hundreds of pounds of structural steel.

There's lots of stories about spit-and-polish run amok in the Victorian Royal Navy that I can believe. I can believe that captains hated gunnery practice because the cordite smoke and soot dirtied the decks. I can believe stories of Admirals going around their ships and checking for dust and dirt behind every nook and cranny. I can even believe the story (which was widely disbelieved even at the time) that some ships just dumped ammunition over the side during gunnery practices instead of actually firing it. But I cannot believe they would regularly polish door watertight doors to uselessness. It's ridiculous.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Its especially weird because it usually comes up in relation to the HMS Victoria accident, when Victoria was hit below the waterline by a battleship ram without her watertight doors being closed due it being a peacetime exercise. The doors being over polished were not exactly the problem there.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I actually looked it up in Massey's Dreadnought hoping to find the source. Naturally he only gave sources for direct quotations so no luck there.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I am going to find the source for that absurd story about the Royal Navy polishing watertight doors until they were useless and beat them with an oar, unless they're dead, in which case I shall dig them up and then beat their moldering remains with an oar.

I'm guessing it's the same as those army stories about being forced to polish coal in the scuttle.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I have no idea how true this one is, but it's what I've been told by a cheery old doctor (now late):

It's WW2, the Yugoslav army/Partizans and the Soviet army are having a joint operation to push the Nazis out of Serbia. He was a Partizan medic (was a medical student when the war started) and somehow ended up attached to a Russian tank unit, and was to be inside one of the tanks during the advance. They lodged together in a village that was recently liberated, and the night before the advance, the old lady who lived in the house he stayed at took all the stuff she had secretly stashed away from the Nazis and baked him and a few Russian soldiers who were also staying there a cake. The Russian soldiers politely refused to eat. He, well, he had nothing but army rations: guerrilla war edition for at least 3 years by that point and his stomach overrode his brain on silly questions like "What's the quality of, say, eggs, that were secretly stashed for it seems quite a while?" and "Considering what I've been eating for years, how will my stomach react to this?". While he was single-handedly devouring that entire cake, all but one of the Russian soldiers were giggling and the other guy was sitting quietly with a "gently caress my life" expression on his face. They were saying something, but while doc knew enough Russian to do his job there, they were talking really fast, and he was eating really fast, so he just sort of ignored it.

Come tomorrow, he's crammed into a Russian tank, and the commander is the "gently caress my life" guy. Shortly after the advance started, his stomach started hurting and rumbling really loud. And unlike the tanks Ensign Expendable mentioned, this one had no poop hole. He skipped the details of how what happened next happened, but basically, he ended up hanging off the top of the tank, his bare rear end exploding diarrhea out all over the place in bursts every couple of seconds, and and a bunch of Soviet tankmen getting to watch it, the crews sometimes even switching places so that another guy could see the spectacle.

And that is how the Yugoslavs invented treadshitting.

e: whoops

my dad fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 18, 2018

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

That story is seriously so idiotic I can't believe anyone with a passing knowledge of ships would believe it for a second. I don't know about the rest of the thread but I've had to fiddle with watertight doors, though I've never had to take on off its hinges because you don't do that on museum ships. They weigh, at least, hundreds of pounds and are attached to the hatchways with giant steel nuts and bolts. Taking one down just to polish it would be an all-day job for a sizable number of men who'd be much more gainfully employed cleaning everything else around the drat door. Not to mention the amount of polishing to make a watertight door no longer watertight would have to be immense, because again they're made of hundreds of pounds of structural steel.

There's lots of stories about spit-and-polish run amok in the Victorian Royal Navy that I can believe. I can believe that captains hated gunnery practice because the cordite smoke and soot dirtied the decks. I can believe stories of Admirals going around their ships and checking for dust and dirt behind every nook and cranny. I can even believe the story (which was widely disbelieved even at the time) that some ships just dumped ammunition over the side during gunnery practices instead of actually firing it. But I cannot believe they would regularly polish door watertight doors to uselessness. It's ridiculous.

It's always struck me as implausible to the point of impossibility too. My guess is that it's either an extrapolation through various secondary accounts of some rating being given 'No.9 punishment' to spend two hours extra work per day for a week polishing the guide rails of a watertight door (or something simiarly grubby, difficult and pointless), or it's just been created from thin air as an over-egged 'Royal Navy 1805-1914 LOL!' anecdote. And I don't see why you'd bother doing that because there are plenty of verified anecdotes along similar lines.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

my dad posted:

treadshitting.
ftfy

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

You could beat the rear end in a top hat(s) whose ultimate decision it was to scrap the Enterprise

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

feedmegin posted:

I mean, it's going to depend when you're talking about. Earlier on HRE emperors were crowned by the pope in Rome, then something something investiture controversy something something Guelphs and Ghibellines.

Hey Gal probably has words re: the 17th century incarnation, but bear in mind it was around for a good thousand years or so.

Even in the undergrad-est of CC history courses, it was never something I heard a history professor say so I'm just kinda wondering where it got its legs. I was also figuring that it was a long period of time so even if it might have applied at one certain points it likely didn't at others and all that. I'm just curious because you will see people cite it as a trump card all the loving time and it often shuts up any further discussion.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

i for one am responsible for passing on this anecdote on several different occasions and I look forward your oar attack

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Even in the undergrad-est of CC history courses, it was never something I heard a history professor say so I'm just kinda wondering where it got its legs. I was also figuring that it was a long period of time so even if it might have applied at one certain points it likely didn't at others and all that. I'm just curious because you will see people cite it as a trump card all the loving time and it often shuts up any further discussion.
It's a very pithy quote, and pithy quotes have a tendency to outrun their truthfulness.

I suspect some people pick it up in literature class rather than history, since Camus is a pretty standard topic. That usually includes a unit about Voltaire's life, and it's a good line for getting a laugh out of bored students as well as a good capsule example of Voltaire's style and politics.

It's also much more accurate in Voltaire's day. By the time he was writing, the HRE was no longer united by Catholicism as its common religion, and certainly wasn't an empire by any normal standard, instead being a sort of confederation of mutual defense and system for settling disputes - almost a cross between NATO and the UN. One which occasionally didn't function in any meaningful way at all. It also had lost its direct connection to Rome - Italy hadn't been part of it for centuries, the Pope no longer crowned the Emperor, and the line of rulers who could trace back to Charlemagne directly either by blood relation or clear political succession had been broken.

So if you're talking about the HRE circa the mid 18th century, it's not an unreasonable critique, if a bit biased coming as it does from a Frenchman.

Anyone using it for the HRE in Charlemagne's day or other periods doesn't know what they're talking about, though, and is just saying it because it sounds clever.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 18, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
when you talk about any entity that exists for a thousand years it's going to be really hard to make any definitive statement about the character, mechanics, etc of the entity over the thousand year period

cf when people talk about "Rome" (or even just the Roman Empire or the Roman Republic) or "The Catholic Church" or "China" (5000 year dont u kno) or "Feudal Japan" or or or or

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

That story is seriously so idiotic I can't believe anyone with a passing knowledge of ships would believe it for a second. I don't know about the rest of the thread but I've had to fiddle with watertight doors, though I've never had to take on off its hinges because you don't do that on museum ships.

So what do you think of the state of preservation on the Bowfin?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

The quote did also get picked up primarily by leftist critique for the early HRE, largely out of an ideological opposition to labeling any hegemonic power "holy." Which is probably a fair cop, but misunderstands what the label was about in some ways.

Calling it "Holy" was much more about putting the Official Pope Seal of Approval and Guaranteed Freshness on the endeavor than implying it was "good" in a moral or ethical sense. And it solidified both the Pope and Charlemagne's claims to of authority independent of and not answerable to Constantinople.

This basic issue is that the Emperor in Constantinople claimed authority over the Western Empire by combined temporal and spiritual authority, which reinforced each other. The bishops in the west should submit because he was head of the church, and the kings should submit because he was the legal heir to Roman political authority. The kings and their subjects should also submit because a good Christian should not willingly be ruled by someone of suspect faith, and the bishops and faithful should submit because it was a Christianly thing to recognize a legitimate temporal regime.

Slapping "Holy" onto Charlemagne's nascent state at least partially defanged those arguments. The Emperor in Constantinople was no longer the only acceptably and authentically Christian political power, so it eased the concerns of Charlemagne's subjects that they were violating religious precepts by submitting to his authority.

Calling it "Roman" also helped that argument for the Pope. It was also reasonably accurate - Charlemagne was the de facto heir to Roman political power, and adopted what Roman legal practices and apparatus that still existed. It had also in some ways become a genericized term meaning "powerful, legitimate, organized state" rather than implying geographic or ethnic identity - see the Sultans of Rûm for another example. Saying it wasn't Roman might be technically correct in some ways, but largely just misses the point.

In any case, making it "Holy" and "Roman" allowed the Pope to boil down his fight to the question of the Emperor's spiritual authority, and thus a question of doctrine, alone. As long as the HRE was a lawful, authentically Christian power, in theory it was just as correct to submit to it in temporal matters as to submit to Constantinople. The Emperor in Constantinople had a de jure claim to political and legal control, but possession matters, and Constantinople was not really in a position to dispute that possession.

All that was left was whether the Pope was religiously required to adhere to Constantinople's direction, and that would be fought out in councils and letters over the next two centuries (and beyond).

As for the "not an Empire" part, you can do some thin-slicing about the difference between Frankish kingship and the Roman dominus, but it's pedantry engaged in just so the whole quote can kind of hang together.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 18, 2018

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 17th Apr 1918 posted:

"Rouse" was at 8 a.m., breakfast being at 8-30. At 10-30 the Btn. "fell in" in column of route and marched off companies at 100 yards distance.
Arrived at LOUVENCOURT where the Btn. is billeted with the rest of the Brigade. Here we are at one hour's notice to move during the night and 2 hours notice during the day and are in support to N.Z. Division.
The billets for all are very comfortable.

13th KRRC War Diary, 18th Apr 1918 posted:

The day was at the disposal of the Coy. Commanders and Lewis Gun Classes were started, men being taught the practical working of the gun only. They were taken on a range near by and fired at targets. Various inspections were carried out and Signalling Classes were started.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

The quote did also get picked up primarily by leftist critique for the early HRE, largely out of an ideological opposition to labeling any hegemonic power "holy." Which is probably a fair cop, but misunderstands what the label was about in some ways.

Calling it "Holy" was much more about putting the Official Pope Seal of Approval and Guaranteed Freshness on the endeavor than implying it was "good" in a moral or ethical sense. And it solidified both the Pope and Charlemagne's claims to of authority independent of and not answerable to Constantinople.

This basic issue is that the Emperor in Constantinople claimed authority over the Western Empire by combined temporal and spiritual authority, which reinforced each other. The bishops in the west should submit because he was head of the church, and the kings should submit because he was the legal heir to Roman political authority. The kings and their subjects should also submit because a good Christian should not willingly be ruled by someone of suspect faith, and the bishops and faithful should submit because it was a Christianly thing to recognize a legitimate temporal regime.

Slapping "Holy" onto Charlemagne's nascent state at least partially defanged those arguments. The Emperor in Constantinople was no longer the only acceptably and authentically Christian political power, so it eased the concerns of Charlemagne's subjects that they were violating religious precepts by submitting to his authority.

Calling it "Roman" also helped that argument for the Pope. It was also reasonably accurate - Charlemagne was the de facto heir to Roman political power, and adopted what Roman legal practices and apparatus that still existed. It had also in some ways become a genericized term meaning "powerful, legitimate, organized state" rather than implying geographic or ethnic identity - see the Sultans of Rûm for another example. Saying it wasn't Roman might be technically correct in some ways, but largely just misses the point.

In any case, making it "Holy" and "Roman" allowed the Pope to boil down his fight to the question of the Emperor's spiritual authority, and thus a question of doctrine, alone. As long as the HRE was a lawful, authentically Christian power, in theory it was just as correct to submit to it in temporal matters as to submit to Constantinople. The Emperor in Constantinople had a de jure claim to political and legal control, but possession matters, and Constantinople was not really in a position to dispute that possession.

All that was left was whether the Pope was religiously required to adhere to Constantinople's direction, and that would be fought out in councils and letters over the next two centuries (and beyond).

As for the "not an Empire" part, you can do some thin-slicing about the difference between Frankish kingship and the Roman dominus, but it's pedantry engaged in just so the whole quote can kind of hang together.

This is all true re: Charlemagne but I usually see it applied by people struggling to summarize the Central European HRE you see a few centuries afterwards. A state claiming the legacy of Rome that is mostly made up of territory far outside Rome’s furthest extent is a bit problematic as is the decentralized nature of its power structure at precisely the moment England and France are consolidating royal authority in a profound way.

I’ve unpacked the quote for students before to help understand the difference between eg the 12th century French monarchy and what’s going on across the boarder. They’re two fundamentally different ideas/models on how to organize a state and it’s a useful corrective to a lot of textbooks that just color everything between “From the Maas to the Memel, from the Etsch to the Belt” one color and kind of imply it’s a centralized (or perhaps more aptly centralizing) state like France, England etc.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I may perhaps also be a bit sensitive to it because of how the first Reich gets utilized by some other people I’ve studied to imply a centralizing German state and national project that projected far further I to the past than is really evident.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cessna posted:

So what do you think of the state of preservation on the Bowfin?

No clue, I haven't been to Hawaii in three decades.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

I may perhaps also be a bit sensitive to it because of how the first Reich gets utilized by some other people I’ve studied to imply a centralizing German state and national project that projected far further I to the past than is really evident.
I dig it. The HRE is not entirely unique, but it's a bit exceptional in just how drastically it changed while remaining nominally the same thing over time.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

https://twitter.com/PacificAviation/status/986427744664858624

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The HRE did turn up recently in gaming in one amusing way. Hearts of Iron 4 is mainly a WW2 simulator, but you're under no obligation to play historically. The new expansion is primarily focused on China, but also gives some alt-history options to Germany and Japan to go off the rails. Potentially really, really off the rails. Through an extremely convoluted series of events and decisions, you can not only end up with this lady leading 20th century Germany, she can remake the German Empire into the Holy Roman Empire.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Comrade Gorbash posted:

So if you're talking about the HRE circa the mid 18th century, it's not an unreasonable critique, if a bit biased coming as it does from a Frenchman.

Anyone using it for the HRE in Charlemagne's day or other periods doesn't know what they're talking about, though, and is just saying it because it sounds clever.
I had always assumed it was this and I'm surprised to see it get legs and run off into other areas; this isn't really the most contemporary, obvious stuff in the world. From a historical context, Candide is another one that kind of loses context. It's interesting as a trauma conga of what people thought were shitholes at the time. Without context it just seems bizarre.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bewbies posted:

i for one am responsible for passing on this anecdote on several different occasions and I look forward your oar attack

I think some guy said that to Miyamoto Musashi once.

Speaking of sword fighting, I saw this video and it made me wonder, under what circumstances would two 14th century dudes face off in a sword fight like this? Formal duels only? Did guys break off into single combat on the battlefield?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyVu0z4aGFc

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
How DO you define an empire, anyways?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well, you start with an emperor . . .

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think most definitions center around the idea of multiple ethnic groups being ruled at once, but for the most part, there's not really a definitive taxonomy of states. Things get called what they get called.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Dunno if this belongs here, but I ran into a company of pikes on Sunday, and if any Seattle-area goons are interested, they're having a demo/practice on 6 May. I'm considering joining up, partly because I could use the exercise, and partly because, if programming falls through, we can go plunder Tacoma.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

darthbob88 posted:

Dunno if this belongs here, but I ran into a company of pikes on Sunday, and if any Seattle-area goons are interested, they're having a demo/practice on 6 May. I'm considering joining up, partly because I could use the exercise, and partly because, if programming falls through, we can go plunder Tacoma.

If you are in a plundering way, discreetly inquire to the Canadian government if you can get a letter of marque for plundering Vancouver

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cythereal posted:

The HRE did turn up recently in gaming in one amusing way. Hearts of Iron 4 is mainly a WW2 simulator, but you're under no obligation to play historically. The new expansion is primarily focused on China, but also gives some alt-history options to Germany and Japan to go off the rails. Potentially really, really off the rails. Through an extremely convoluted series of events and decisions, you can not only end up with this lady leading 20th century Germany, she can remake the German Empire into the Holy Roman Empire.

What’s the chain of events for that? I’ve been playing the gently caress out of revanchist imperial Germany and have managed a grossdeutschland where I absorb a reformed AUstro Hungary but never seen that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cyrano4747 posted:

What’s the chain of events for that? I’ve been playing the gently caress out of revanchist imperial Germany and have managed a grossdeutschland where I absorb a reformed AUstro Hungary but never seen that.

1. The Hindenburg must survive.
2. Oppose Hitler.
3. Win the civil war.
4. Revive the empire.
5. Return the Kaiser.
6. The Netherlands must block the Kaiser's return.
7. Don't contest it, go with Wilhelm III instead.
8. Go for Alliance in the Shade (alliance with UK).
9. Take the decisions Reinstate Prince Wilhelm's Right of Succession, Modernize the Succession Laws, and Request Restoration of British Titles.
10. The Brits will ask you to send an advisor ahead to London. Do so. This is Victoria.
11. Send the imperial family to London for the ceremony.
12. The Hindenburg will crash, killing the entire royal family except Victoria Louise, who becomes Kaiserin.
13. Kaiserin Victoria I can then reform the German Empire into the Holy Roman Empire.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

lol that's awesome. Looks like I now have something to aim for in my next play through. Hindenburg's the one real stumbling block. Edit: well, the netherlands too. I think I've only seen that cook off once.

It never ceases to amaze me the random poo poo those spergs at paradox hide in their games.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cyrano4747 posted:

lol that's awesome. Looks like I now have something to aim for in my next play through. Hindenburg's the one real stumbling block. Edit: well, the netherlands too. I think I've only seen that cook off once.

It never ceases to amaze me the random poo poo those spergs at paradox hide in their games.

From what I've read, you can easily get the Dutch to be dicks by deleting most/all of your armies.

Paradox mentioned it in one of their dev diaries as a little easter egg for International Womens' Day.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

No clue, I haven't been to Hawaii in three decades.

I was a curator on Pampanito back in the 90's, right after I got out of the USMC. We took pride in maintaining as much of our stuff in working condition as possible, at one point having three of the four diesels in running condition. The rationale was that actual maintenance kept artifacts in better shape than letting them sit. You'll find leaks, keep parts lubricated and oiled, etc.

Bowfin, in contrast, was preserved like the (undeserved stereotype of the) Victorian navy. Everything was polished until it gleamed. It looked pretty, but decades of polished neglect was bad for the boat. For example, 50+ years (at the time) of brass polishing had obliterated the stamped in numbers on dials and gauges, while behind the polished brass you'd find layers of rust. It was sad, like an exquisitely embalmed corpse.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Looks like she blew up the wrong plane for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cessna posted:

I was a curator on Pampanito back in the 90's, right after I got out of the USMC. We took pride in maintaining as much of our stuff in working condition as possible, at one point having three of the four diesels in running condition. The rationale was that actual maintenance kept artifacts in better shape than letting them sit. You'll find leaks, keep parts lubricated and oiled, etc.

Yeah, that's the way to do it. poo poo that's kept in working shape or at least used periodically doesn't disintigrate anything like as quickly. You see it with guns all the time. The rifle that Grandpa used to hunt with twice a year might have some finish wear on it and show tons of scuffs and handling marks, but the one that was left in the attic is usually a rustball.

The best example is comparing the Hagia Sofia to pretty much anything from the late roman empire. The Hagia Sofia was built in the 530s, not that long after the fall of Rome in the west. The major difference between it and buildings like the Coloseum isn't a few hundred years of age, it's that it was in constant use and occupied pretty much continuously since then, while the poo poo Rome put up was abandoned and not maintained.