Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

GW stabbed me in the back when removed vortex grenades between 2nd and 3rd.

Virus grenades.

Oh and virus outbreak. The card I think everyone removed from the deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DancingShade posted:

Virus grenades.

Oh and virus outbreak. The card I think everyone removed from the deck.

That was such a hilarious card.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

GW stabbed me in the back when removed vortex grenades between 2nd and 3rd.

Virus Outbreak Strategy Card.

Efb.

I rolled a 6 on transmission distance and killed my opponent's entire Ork army.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 18, 2018

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
I've got this vague idea that Games Workshop published a retraction for virus grenade, but I can't find anything about it. They did bring out a vaccine squig for Orks, which I definetly forgot about. Maybe people just refused to play a game against someone with one.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I feel like someone (Rick Priestly?) told people to tear the card up and throw it away, but I don't know if that's apocryphal.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Corrode posted:

I feel like someone (Rick Priestly?) told people to tear the card up and throw it away, but I don't know if that's apocryphal.

I know they ceremoniously tore one up before a Games Day or something once.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Corrode posted:

That definitely happened

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lungboy posted:

I accidentally bought an Onager on eBay, so it looks like I'm stuck with Ad Mech now. The Icarus array looks mental but are there enough fliers around to justify it?

I’ve fielded both, and i very much prefer the Neutron Laser. You’re doing D3 shots with it anyway, and even if you’re shooting at a flyer it’s a 4+.

Also, since the Dunecrawler has the Skitarii keyword*, you can use Doctrina Imperative stratagem on it. If you gave it an enhanced data tether (which you should), you’ll be hitting on 2’s against flyers.

*Im pretty sure it does. I’ll check later when I get to work when i have my codex in front of me.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Zuul the Cat posted:

*Im pretty sure it does. I’ll check later when I get to work when i have my codex in front of me.

It does indeed. In my usual gaming group we don't really care about WYSIWIG so I'll build my 1st one as Icarus as it looks sweet and then use it as whatever when it comes to actually playing.

e: I really like the Ad Mech codex. I haven't been this enthused by a book in a very long time. Even GSC wasn't quite the same and I'd wanted to be able to play them since 2nd.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing

Zuul the Cat posted:

I’ve fielded both, and i very much prefer the Neutron Laser. You’re doing D3 shots with it anyway, and even if you’re shooting at a flyer it’s a 4+.

Also, since the Dunecrawler has the Skitarii keyword*, you can use Doctrina Imperative stratagem on it. If you gave it an enhanced data tether (which you should), you’ll be hitting on 2’s against flyers.

Yeah dune crawlers have broad spectrum data tethers so yes you can add 2 to their shooting for 1 cp. Their shooting is a 3+ normally so now they are hitting on a 1+.

Icarus array 10 shots hitting ground troops on a 2 rerolling 1s if a tech priest is nearby.

I didn't even realize that this stratagem would work on dune crawlers until you posted this.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I read those comments about the Icarus Array and was like, "Does this mean the Stalker tank is good too?"

No. No it is not. 110 points for 3 shots a turn is not good.

Edit: I just noticed it gets 6 shots. Ima have to do the math on it.

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?
Had my second game last night, my buddy was looking to play test his new tournament list, so I was expecting to get smashed, and I did in fact. I learned several important lessons though, such as terminators look cool but suck; and ravenguard aggressors are horrifying especially when they pop up out of the shadows in your backfield cause you left 1 inch too much space open.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
The Onager guns are pretty easy to magnetise if you want to swap between them so you can just leave the launcher box on or magnetize that separate as well.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Mango Polo posted:

Most of the time I play skirmish games like Shadow War. But recently I toned down my time for 40K, also because it became kinda boring for not having the necessary complexity (like fear and terrain rules) and too abstract gameplay. With the case of 30K; the FW team did a good job while also fixing the clunky and random mess at the core of 7th Edition a bit. It's just that I had some bad experiences with that version and left me rage quited.

I like how he was MADE to rage quit by the game.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
I was told to wait for the FAQ, are flyrants still good? What guns do they need?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
As long as we're on AdMech: has anyone seen any good robo-centaur centaur parts? An idea for a Magos Chiron came to me in a dream.

Then he got eaten by a Dark Mechanicus Spider-Magos-Centaur.

:(

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Tardigrade posted:

I was told to wait for the FAQ, are flyrants still good? What guns do they need?

Still good, only went up by 20pts.

Give them MRCs and a shooting weapon of your choice. Devourers for anti-infantry, cannons or deathspitters for heavy infantry or tank duty.

Also:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Tardigrade posted:

They've gone up to 190 points (excluding wargear), and you can only have three max in an army. They're still pretty good.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Did they make it so MRCs weren't free upgrades for Hive Tyrants?

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Tardigrade posted:

The miasma cannon is good and it gives you space for scything talons, but the ~competitive~ choice is is 4 devourers with brainleech maggots for 24 s6 shots.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Did they make it so MRCs weren't free upgrades for Hive Tyrants?

No. They only did about six points changes total.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It was pretty weird that Custodes didnt see a points increase, but I guess they got overshadowed in the tourney by Chaos hordes and Hive Tyrants.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Corrode posted:

No. They only did about six points changes total.

Wasn't the rumor that the FAQ was held up soley to nerf Flyrants? If so, that nerf is a pretty hillarious amount of weaksauce.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Broken Record Talk posted:

Wasn't the rumor that the FAQ was held up soley to nerf Flyrants? If so, that nerf is a pretty hillarious amount of weaksauce.

Upping them in points, limiting them to 3 total, and stopping the from deep-striking within their shooting range on turn 1 seems good to me.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Yeah, IMO it's a good nerfing without completely dumpstering them. Which is surprising considering how reactionary it was.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Boon posted:

For what it's worth, every single model in my updated 2000pt CWE list has fly or is in a transport with fly.

Farseer - Faolchus Wing
Skyrunner Farseer
Skyrunner Warlock

4x5 Dire Avengers (transported)

x5 Shadow Spectres

Crimson Hunter Ecarch
Hemlock Wraithfighter

2x Wave Serpent

Skyrunner Autarch

x8 Shining Spears
3x3 Windriders

Its the same way with my DE now that talos have fly.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
I was actually a little surprised they did points updates at all. They originally said points update would be reserved for chapter approved.

They 'got around it' by having the points updates be errata for last years chapter approved...

I would expect a lot more changes later this year, I think they were trying not to break their idea of 'FAQ mid year, chapter approved end of year' and only hit a few things they were sure about points wise.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lungboy posted:

It does indeed. In my usual gaming group we don't really care about WYSIWIG so I'll build my 1st one as Icarus as it looks sweet and then use it as whatever when it comes to actually playing.

e: I really like the Ad Mech codex. I haven't been this enthused by a book in a very long time. Even GSC wasn't quite the same and I'd wanted to be able to play them since 2nd.

I have fun playing them every game, I just get salty about a couple things with them.

I also built my 3 Dunecrawlers to have an Eradication Ray, an Icarus Array and a Neutron Laser. Most people don't care if you swap weapons as long as you tell them.

the moose posted:

Yeah dune crawlers have broad spectrum data tethers so yes you can add 2 to their shooting for 1 cp. Their shooting is a 3+ normally so now they are hitting on a 1+.

Icarus array 10 shots hitting ground troops on a 2 rerolling 1s if a tech priest is nearby.

I didn't even realize that this stratagem would work on dune crawlers until you posted this.

I forgot it did too until I was looking over the stratagems the other day. Makes sense why they made them go from being able to stomp around in units of 3 to units of 1.

Oh yeah, I forgot that if you roll a 1 it's not a miss because it modifies it to a 3+ after the roll.

When would you actually use this Stratagem? It says before a Skitarii unit attacks in the shooting phase - is that as soon as you declare target? Could you roll to see how many shots each dunecrawler gets, then pop this strat?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot that if you roll a 1 it's not a miss because it modifies it to a 3+ after the roll.

Natural rolls of 1 always fail, but a '1+' effectively means if you are shooting something where you have -1 to hit (fliers, alaitoc, raven guard, malanthroped nids, etc) you still hit on 2s.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

TWSS posted:

The miasma cannon is good and it gives you space for scything talons, but the ~competitive~ choice is is 4 devourers with brainleech maggots for 24 s6 shots.

The competitive loadout is 2 devourers and monstrous rending claws. 4 devourers eliminates pretty much all close combat ability. You also take adrenal glands and toxin sacs.

Also, monstrous rending claws are mathematically superior against almost every target compared to scything talons or boneswords. The targets they're not better, they're only a tiny bit worse. And they're free. There is no reason to take any melee weapon other than rending claws on hive tyrants.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Zuul the Cat posted:

I just get salty about a couple things with them.

Such as?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I almost always forget to fire pistols. Is this common

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

TheBigAristotle posted:

Yes.

:negative:

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

TheBigAristotle posted:

:same:

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

TheBigAristotle posted:

If wych armies start seeing more play you'll learn super quick because they fold embarassingly fast to pistols.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Upping them in points, limiting them to 3 total, and stopping the from deep-striking within their shooting range on turn 1 seems good to me.

I agree. I think people are confusing the issue, which was that spam was the problem, not the Flyrant itself. Flyrants are a top tier unit for sure, but most armies have at least one great unit. Now I'm limited to three (I had four), they're harder to squeeze into a list with everything else I want to run, and I can't come down first turn out of deepstrike and decimate an infantry squad anymore.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

General Olloth posted:

Natural rolls of 1 always fail, but a '1+' effectively means if you are shooting something where you have -1 to hit (fliers, alaitoc, raven guard, malanthroped nids, etc) you still hit on 2s.

You are correct, my mistake. Gotta make sure to keep a tech-priest near them.

Lungboy posted:

Such as?

Prepare for salt -

I started AdMech near the end of 7th edition, so it's mainly just stuff we lost from 7th to 8th. In 7th, one of the things I loved most about the army was how technological they felt while being played, not just in the fluff. One such item was the Conversion Field - 4++ save, and if it passed all units within D6" had test to see if they had been blinded for a turn (including the own unit that had the item).

I thought it was a cool thing because it firstly gave AdMech access to a better than 5++ save, and there was an additional component to it. It wasn't just a straight up pass fail, it felt like janky technology.

Another thing I was a big fan of was the Neurostatic Aura in 7th edition. It would reduce the WS, BS and I of enemy units within 6" of the Sicarian Infiltrators by 1. Now instead it only reduces enemy leadership by 1, which aside from never being useful in any of my games, it doesn't really make sense. The fluff about these guys is that their helmets radiate so much noise that is causes enemies to not be able to see, hear or think clearly. The story included with them talks about how they walk up to defenses and simply open fire because defenders are unable to do anything other than remember how to breathe.

This is translated to...a -1 in leadership? :psyduck:

Overall I'm really happy with AdMech. They're the coolest looking faction (fight me) and they're a ton of fun to play on the table if you're playing friendly games, and even competitive if you take the right units. Some codices felt like they got copy/pasted, and unfortunately AdMech is one of them. It's fine, because a lot of the stuff wasn't broken, so why fix it? But seeing codices like the Necron one, Drukhari and others where they really did a great job makes it sting.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

TWSS posted:

Miasma/venom cannon it is then, I’m poor and as-yet-uncommitted :buddy:

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Master Twig posted:

The competitive loadout is 2 devourers and monstrous rending claws. 4 devourers eliminates pretty much all close combat ability. You also take adrenal glands and toxin sacs.

Also, monstrous rending claws are mathematically superior against almost every target compared to scything talons or boneswords. The targets they're not better, they're only a tiny bit worse. And they're free. There is no reason to take any melee weapon other than rending claws on hive tyrants.

I'm not an expert space entomologist, I mixed up the scything talons and monstrous rending claws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Strobe posted:

I drop a Homing Beacon about three inches from his Jetbike squad with a Stealth team. The Commander low-altitude drops in. The Crisis Team drops in five inches behind him. I pop Drop Zone Clear and Command-and-Control Node. Pathfinder Teams put five markerlight stacks on the Jetbikes, well within burst cannon range.

72 dice hitting on 2s rerolling 1s, 72 hits. 72 hits wounding on 5s rerolling fails registers 37 wounds at AP-1. Four jetbikes die. The other Commander opens up with Fusion Blasters. Another Jetbike dies.

Crisis Suits loving rule. :allears:

Buffmander and 9 Crisis Suits with 2xBurst, ATS costs: 715 points, and is expected to do 12.96+/-3.26 damage.

You can replicate this scenario for 355 points with a Buffmander and 3 Crisis Suits armed with 2xCIB, ATS, which is expected to do 15.56+/-3.53 damage.

Although you don't get to roll 72 dice, and those Jetbike guys are pretty much the perfect target for CIBs.

Crisis Suits loving rule. :allears: