Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

Yeah, because it's the only fight where ignoring mechanics does enough damage to matter at max ilevel.

The last boss of Haukke hard is funny too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
People are bad at Symond because the DPS don't kill adds so they die and tanks think they have to run through the crystal field to the adds and pick them up which just causes them to explode and kill everybody when really they should stay put and let the DPS kill them. Leads to like 500% less outgoing damage in the fight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Symond is an odd fight because at normally synced gear level the dps do not want to dps the boss at all because tank damage alone will spawn enough adds for the dps to busy the whole fight.

If the dps actually grab an add a piece to keep them from blowing up the tank or healer it’s a super fast and easy fight.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Thundarr posted:

Could be worse, clown Kefka could have come out with three more Guardians that trash anybody who tries to stand too far away from him.

Nah, he'd just bring everyone to 1 HP and then inexplicably leave without killing anyone in the party.

SonicRulez posted:

Guardian is bastard and I hate his whole family. I just wanna see the clown.

:yeah:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

All I know is that Symond and Zu make running Pharos as a squadron dungeon extremely unfun.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Squadron makes everything unfun.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Squadron makes everything unfun.

The idea sounds fun until you realize running a dungeon with absolute morons who never communicate isn't giving you an experience you can't get from roulettes.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I only did it a few times so far but the squad AI got the job done. As long as you understand they gave you that disengage button for a reason.

y_y
Oct 25, 2011

conversationalist
After finishing the MSQ, I think I may be done for now. Not that there isn't millions of side-activities in the game one could do...

I enjoyed SCH in dungeons and trials (even more than WHM which I'd levelled on ARR launch), and getting SMN for free is pretty rad as well (although playing that for TOP DPS is well beyond me). The combat itself is enjoyable (ignoring the terrible net-code) for a classic tab-target MMO, and has distinct enough abilities.

MSQ had a slightly annoying ilvl gate at what I assume was 4.1, where some instances suddenly required 300, but Una Ventful thankfully sorted me out with some jewellery and reading material.

I may be back for the next expansion... :)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Squadron dungeons owned when I was leveling DRK and the archers were broken.

10min stone vigil clears took me from 41-52 REAL quick.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cythereal posted:

I'm new to 70 and still hungry for creation tomestones so I run 50/60 roulette every day to get a bunch of them.

Relax, my subscription expires next week because I find FF14's endgame to not be much fun.

Sadly I’d agree. Backing off of dungeon content to make Eureka was a mistake.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Captain Oblivious posted:

Sadly I’d agree. Backing off of dungeon content to make Eureka was a mistake.

He said endgame though, so dungeons don't apply

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
To be honest if they dropped the leveling system and just pushed it as a zone to hang out and fight bosses sometimes in, a social idle zone kind of thing...it still wouldn't be good, but it would be less bad.

I'm holding out to see more details on 4.3. I'm hoping that the new deep dungeon is an improvement on the any class/any comp idea of PotD(at least for the east floors) but I have a feeling it's going to be 70s only Nd they won't have learned that the traps were loving terrible.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Traps are like the only reason floors 179 and earliesr were ever exciting. They could lead to failure but risk of failure was the entire reason there was any tension.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

To be honest if they dropped the leveling system and just pushed it as a zone to hang out and fight bosses sometimes in, a social idle zone kind of thing...it still wouldn't be good, but it would be less bad.

All the bosses are a loving joke too since theres 100 people and it doesnt matter how many die because theres still going to be 40 RDM instantly reviving them all.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I'm going to repeat some actually good OF things regarding that. The type of content that XI used and gameplay of XIV are a really bad match for mindless grinding where you have to press buttons every ~2 seconds.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I should have rolled Black Mage earlier because holy poo poo

Also pretty catboi endgame pictures

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Does stormblood introduce new races? I do still have that potion to re-roll race could use a change in style...

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

They couldn't think of anything even more blandly waifu than the lizards yet, so no.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

wait for patch 4.69 where you can play as ananta

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Brainamp posted:

They couldn't think of anything even more blandly waifu than the lizards yet, so no.

Pretty sure the au ra are supposed to look like demons.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Namazu player characters when?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I thought they were dragon born. I got a lizard guy now. Might go cat man next

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Darth Walrus posted:

Pretty sure the au ra are supposed to look like demons.

The original design was vaguely demonish, but not the not-catgirls we ended up with.

Ride The Gravitron posted:

I thought they were dragon born. I got a lizard guy now. Might go cat man next

A bunch were killed because ishgard thought they were related to dragons. They are not.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Traps are like the only reason floors 179 and earliesr were ever exciting. They could lead to failure but risk of failure was the entire reason there was any tension.

The solution to this isn't that traps are good but that they should make more than 20 floors that are actually good (and not have 4 hours of tedium to get to the interesting part).

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

WrightOfWay posted:

The solution to this isn't that traps are good but that they should make more than 20 floors that are actually good (and not have 4 hours of tedium to get to the interesting part).

This is a failing of procgen. There is only so much good you can do with it.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Back when I ran POTD I saved SO many runs by being a room away when someone would hit an exploding trap a millisecond before they opened an exploding silver chest. :discourse:

Traps...are good.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

EponymousMrYar posted:

This is a failing of procgen. There is only so much good you can do with it.

Chop out floors 100-150 and keep 150-200. That would solve a lot of it. If you could just start at 100 that'd help too.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Chop out floors 100-150 and keep 150-200. That would solve a lot of it. If you could just start at 100 that'd help too.

The time spent on floors 51-150 is to ensure your night pegasus whistles and hq dead hive weapons retain their value on the MB.

E: having a rare drop from 150+ turn out to be palace flooring is a huge kick in the nuts though.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 17, 2018

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Do we still need to go through the offsite auth stuff to get a guild invite or can we get an invite here? I'm on Excalibur. I'm still pretty new to the game, don't have anything near 70 yet, so I'm content to keep poking about for a while if I do need to actually get off my rear end to auth.

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 18, 2018

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010
So random question. I’m levelling on a server with XP buffs below 60. Once I hit 60 on my main job, do I lose it for every other job? Or when I switch to a job below 60 do I regain the buff?

This is likely to dictate how quickly I push into Stormblood content.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Experience buffs apply for any job under the given level.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Today I had a PotD run end at floor 189 because of a healer who had no idea how to heal or do anything that didn't get us horribly killed.

Then I cleared God Kefka after about 70 total minutes of progression by silently joining a clear party PF and pretending I knew what I was doing.

This game, man.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

GuyUpNorth posted:

I'm going to repeat some actually good OF things regarding that. The type of content that XI used and gameplay of XIV are a really bad match for mindless grinding where you have to press buttons every ~2 seconds.

Yeah I (and someone else said it a lot in this thread as well), the content is unengaging and boring enough to where you WANT to alt-tab and read something or watch a film. But it forces you to put in just enough input to where you have to keep focus on the game.

I mean if I know a fight well enough I'm actually at the point now where I alt-tab between my THREE SECOND long spell casts if I know nothing is going to happen during then, which is entirely possible, because this game is so drat formulaic.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
but you also watch tv during guardian so :v:

e: I still hope one day someone will make a mmo that plays as well as gw2, but then also make some good content for it like ff14 does.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Thursday Next posted:

Do we still need to go through the offsite auth stuff to get a guild invite or can we get an invite here? I'm on Excalibur. I'm still pretty new to the game, don't have anything near 70 yet, so I'm content to keep poking about for a while if I do need to actually get off my rear end to auth.

Yes, you do still need to get authorised.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Thursday Next posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823905&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post473446820

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Pinball Jizzard posted:

So random question. I’m levelling on a server with XP buffs below 60. Once I hit 60 on my main job, do I lose it for every other job? Or when I switch to a job below 60 do I regain the buff?

This is likely to dictate how quickly I push into Stormblood content.

road to 60 is active for every sub-60 job on the character until the server loses its preferred status or the character is 90 days old, whichever is longer

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Martman posted:

Today I had a PotD run end at floor 189 because of a healer who had no idea how to heal or do anything that didn't get us horribly killed.

I'd ask how it didn't become apparent long before then, but before like floor 175 healing is nearly optional in PotD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Stalins Moustache posted:

I should have rolled Black Mage earlier because holy poo poo

:bisonyes: