Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Blammo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Get better computers you goddamn nerds.
To be fair to them, I have a i7-8700K with 32GB of DDR4 that I use to edit 4K video with and the first page still chokes my browser up pretty bad if I try to scroll quickly while loading.

EDIT: But it's not that bad now that I actually let it load and scroll around.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 24, 2018

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
First page is fine on my phone, your computer’s hosed

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Quinntan posted:

First page is fine on my phone, your computer’s hosed

I use a x486 with my VGA monitor on IE 6 running on my 28.8k modem and it's a bit slow for me.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Lou Takki posted:

I use a x486 with my VGA monitor on IE 6 running on my 28.8k modem and it's a bit slow for me.

Having fun with Wing Commander 2?

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
March Set 8

==3.1 released to PTU==
https://pastebin.com/QH9QScsH

Tokamak posted:

I agree with CIG's assessment to get the patch out by the deadline at all costs. It looks like poo poo to us, but to backers CIG is turning it around. Delays have been the number one morale killer. If they delayed the first patch of their new quarterly release schedule, it would kill the enthusiasm for questioning backers. I'm more interested to find out if every major feature gets delayed and rolled up into a big end of year patch.

Virtual Captain posted:

What was 3.1 supposed to have again?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Drunk Theory posted:

Good thing they've got those dedicated avocados that deeply test these things before they get to the PTU. Good thing they didn't just rush this poo poo out the door with 10% of the promised features and riddled with bugs.

Everything is looking good for Star Citizen.

Virtual Captain posted:

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

The faithful are losing faith, the money is slowing down, Star Citizen not being released has become the joke. Now he needs to start delivering if he wants to dispel the inevitable decline, and there's nothing to deliver.

The faithful are doing a good job of hunkering down for 2018. I think this year they have such exciting things to look forward to such as:
Performance (lol)
Female playercharacters (WIP since 2013, I got a feeling this year G0RF)
Salvage (first iteration, not the dream)
Mining (3.0, wait 3.1, no actually 3.2)
Network Bind Culling (consistently pushed back since 2.6, its going to be BIG! Especially considering the entire Engine seems to be against it)

Every year they get better at lowering expectations, MoMA and the rest of :reddit: was looking forward to a full release of SQ42 or at least a couple missions last year.
ManofManyAliases: "-SQ42 will, at the very least, have a level (or few levels) drop this year. Though, I'm optimistic for a full release before end-of-year." "Quote the poo poo out of this if you want."
Now they're learning.... slowly.
Montoya: "This is gonna be a tough year"
Erris: 'Squadron 42 is... maybe... going to miss 2018.'

I am seeing the idea of 2020 being fully embraced by backers more and more. Another captain says "You have to have faith" Can they survive on the number of devotees they have remaining? Will the faith hold? It sure would be funny if it didn't.

Scruffpuff posted:

That poo poo really grinds my gears. "Oh we didn't have the features on time for 3.1." Well if you define a feature set, say that feature set will be in 3.1, then you release without that feature set, then it's not loving 3.1 is it? That's what 3.1 is - the poo poo you said beforehand would be in it. That's what makes it 3.1.

Yet this poo poo flies with the backers. The constant non-stop release version increments without associated progress on the game. Don't worry that nothing you paid for is in the game or will ever be in the game, and don't worry that we haven't even thought about designing a game system yet - these version numbers are going up, up, up!

Virtual Captain posted:

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

There's a part of me that wants to buy in the minimum amount to see this shitshow for the first time.

Not because I want to play or support CiG, but because I feel like I can get entertainment value from laughing at this mess first hand and posting things here.

I spent about 20 mins watching 3.1 streams last night. I saw at least 4 crashes. You end up doing this constantly:

typically followed by

Beet Wagon posted:

The game runs like absolute dogshit, and it's so much work to even get to the part where you can clip through a wall and go "heh, that was kind of funny" that it's not even worth it 99.9999% of the time.

==More bears==

tuo posted:

tl;dr:

phwoa....this doxxing is hard work

Hav posted:

No joke.

Sunswipe posted:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I could have been Bear4TheBearGod.
It's not too late for you to start sending bears to CIG. I'm not sure whether it's funnier if you send grizzlies or massive, bearded homosexuals. I suggest splitting the difference and sending gay grizzlies.

twitter posted:

Citizen: Well what do you know, people gave Chris money of their own free will, thus Chris is allowed the same. Once given the money is officiously income to Chris Roberts to use as he pleases

Beet Wagon: lmbo this might be the dumbest loving take on all of twitter right now. It turns out Star Citizen isn't crowdfunded because actually Chris self-funded it with money people just happened to give him for some other totally unrelated reason.

:reddit: posted:

Star citizen 3.0 is loving garbage.
The door in the room I spawn in at olisar won’t open. My ducking mobigas menu won’t go away. I literally can’t even get out of this loving room

Virtual Captain posted:

Ship Sales STALE?! Optimization STUPID!!! & Elitist ATTITUDES.
0:25 - "some people really tired, some people are like 'you know what I am so tired in this [...] candy cycle; you know it looks so good it tastes so good and then it rots the loving teeth out of my mouth' they're tired of seeing this cycle over and over again"

5:16 - "for the game to be successful we got to drop this kind of elitist attitude where we think we're the only people that matter and that [other people] just don't get it"

Bootcha posted:

2014 made $32,933,205, and had 138 days of sale, about 38% of the year.
Minus the sum of non-sale day average of 227 days, those sales accounted for 78% of the year's earnings.

2015 made $35,961,202, and had 153 days of sale, about 42% of the year.
Minus the sum of non-sale day average of 212 days, those sales accounted for 81% of the year's earnings.

2016 made $36,100,538, and had 121 days of sale, about 33% of the year.
Minus the sum of non-sale day average of 245 days, those sales accounted for 78% of the year's earnings.

2017 made $34,912,412, and had 150 days of sale, about 41% of the year.
Minus the sum of non-sale day average of 215 days, those sales accounted for 80% of the year's earnings.

2018 has to make about $36009847, and is projected at this rate to have 215 days of sale, about 59% of the year.
Minus the projected sum of non-sale day average of 150 days, these sales will account for 87% of the year's earnings.

unfortunately we have to take funding tracker at its word, otherwise the facade of open development falls apart.

I sure hope 3.1 is better because 3.0 is a real bug fest

quote:

seriously. ridiculous stuff too, like getting locked into the mobiglass window and everything becomes un-clickable. reboot. stuck inside ships. reboot. crash to black window, reboot. controls locked out. reboot. and none of this is even related to the piss poor performance, either. that's a whole nother issue. it's these game breaking bugs that just randomly make it so nothing works. and this comes after having game blocking bugs for 3 months that prevented me from even loading to the main menu since january.

quote:

you don't have to sit here and repeat the same tired old defensive talking points, dude. like i said, old backer, heard it before, i can see right through your excuse making. it's getting tiresome. at some point it should sink in to you that criticism isn't the same thing as being derisive. and i have taken time off, in fact, for the last 3 months i wasn't even able to load the game at all because it crashed every single time. it's only been in the last few days that i was able to even load into crusader, and it's been a constant bug fest.

these are pretty obvious and apparent facts that i'm stating, even after a long forced break from the game it's still a perpetual struggle to even accomplish bug testing. it took me several hours to even TRY and repro a bug because just getting to the same conditions requires a struggle! discussion with you is pointless if you're unwilling to acknowledge what is real.

samfreez posted:

It's pretty clear you're not interested in reality right now, merely grumbling and bitching about something none of us can control, and CIG already has plans to address.

samfreez posted:

It doesn't matter if you're a $45 backer or in for over $2k like me. The facts don't change based on amount paid or spent

doingitwrong posted:

Star Citizen: It's pretty clear you're not interested in reality right now

I understand the frustration but it’s like blaming your son not doing house work before he is being born. Give the mother more time and support, she is giving all she has got.

Beet Wagon posted:

Physics, what is it? :shrug:

Sarsapariller posted:

(tweet: For #ThrowbackThursday, we want to see some of your favorite #StarCitizen moments)
What a great question.

Here's some of mine!
A Giant List Of Youtube Bug Videos Painstakingly Collected Over 2 Years

G0RF posted:

I say Chris should skunkworks a team there on Operation: Waifu. I’m semi-serious. Throw some serious cash at designing an NPC companion with a thousand lines of affirmation that sits beside you on those long dull stretches saying things like “You are the best pilot in the galaxy!”, “it’s a privilege to be part of your crew”, or “I like a man who knows how to handle a gun.” Something, anything to inject life into that vacuum would help. A UEE radio station, a time-passing minigame like Gwent... Something to give the player’s brain more to engage with than just the thrills of watching a circle get bigger verrrrrrrrrrrrryyy slooooooooooowlyyyy...

twitter posted:

@wrmaiden
Day 852 and the adventure comes to its end.
Today is my final day working at Foundry 42 on Star Citizen. It’s been an absolute blast helping contribute to such a groundbreaking game in my own small way.
Can’t wait to see what comes after me.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 25, 2018

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

That PTU meltdown quote is still the funniest loving thing ever :pgabz:

quote:

...holding F for inner thought to turn my ship on my head looked like it did some owl poo poo. Completely unhinged and started rotating. Finally got the ship on, then black polygons start popping out of my right hand...

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

March Set 9

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Sarsapariller posted:

So that reclaimer ship is playable, for some people I guess. Walkthrough/verbal fellation video here. Kind of looks like they've hacked it into the arena commander map instead of loading it in the main game. Commentary below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeyimocPIOs

@0:44- So about half of the ship is the landing gear. Deploying it immediately breaks the particle effects on the engines.

@1:27- Oh they've started adding "Auto-turrets" since it became apparent that nobody will ever crew turrets on their ships. I wonder if they've actually got the turrets working? My money is on no.

@4:00- Massive salvage arm! Doesn't work. But it's gonna be really cool! <Proceeds to imagine how cool it will be>

@5:00- Tractor beam operator seats! Don't work. <Proceeds to imagine how they will work>

@6:00- Scanning station! Remote Turrets! Don't do anything. <Talks about what these might be for>. An engineering station! Doesn't do anything. But look at all those particle effects in the grinder!

--I'm beginning to detect a theme here. --

@7:15- Escape pods, that don't work

@8:35- Drooling over detailed wires in the elevator shaft. I honestly do not understand how any of these sperglords can give a poo poo about the fidelitous loose wires when nothing on the ship works. He shows off the turret access ladder- "Unfortunately I can't go in it right now"

@9:30- Gravity generator, I guess this makes the goo.

@9:50- "This is the drone room. Now they don't have the drones in here yet..." OH YOU DON'T SAY. Look, an operator seat for a thing that isn't in the game! Thrilling.

Anyway this goes on for 30 minutes but I'm bored now. gently caress you, Star Citizen.
I also love how they justify all that fog and poo poo in the air with the justification of "it's like Aliens!". Explicitly stating something exists because it looks like something out is not a justification, it's a declaration that you are creatively bankrupt.

Also I'm the grinder/crusher/melter/sparker thingy that grinds/crushes/melts/sparks while nothing is in it.

Sarsapariller posted:

I can't understand how anyone is satisfied with these releases. Six years in, and they're still kicking unfinished assets out the door. Look at all of their big ships, some of which have been out for years now- Caterpillar, Starfarer, Redeemer- and not one of them, not one of them, has any of its unique mechanics implemented. There's no indication that they've made progress on them at all. They're not even trying! But somehow you still get guys wandering the empty nonfunctional halls, dreaming about how cool it will be to operate a junkyard crane in space.

Beet Wagon posted:

I don't think the people who are being honest with themselves are satisfied. But you also have to remember these guys have been so content-starved for so long that even the tiniest morsel is enough for them to latch on to. Besides, it obviously doesn't offer any benefit to voice your dissatisfaction.

Alan Smithee posted:

lol just met a guy who worked on SC and literally quit because his conscience wouldn't allow him to continue to take a paycheck from marks

doingitwrong posted:

I love literally everything about this poster

The number of colours that the text has..

The glorious use of word art distortions and angles and all kinds of things to give it more pep.

The excitingly stretched Star Citizen watermark.

The mysterious light box that covers only the bottom half of the poster and bisects the times while tastefully leaving only a sliver of the sponsor logo exposed.

The military-style 24 hour times.

The fact that this is inaugural.

G0RF posted:

Chris has never really known what he wanted the Star Citizen experience to fully be besides BETTER THAN EVERY GAME EVER and he’s lurched from one incoherence to the next “selling the narrative” (and illusion of coherence) through highlight reels the whole time. He focused on selling compelling moments that are unburdened by constraint and disconnected from a design vision for the comprehensive play experience.

Dark Off posted:

you know CR reminds me of pat roper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IujP9GDcp-Y&t=394s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Games_by_Apollo

quote:

Pat Roper was obsessed with Activision how was inspired by their success and their ability to out to Atari at their own game and he felt that he could outdo Activision after all how hard could it be

quote:

Activision had 26 million in sales its first year so Apollo would have 27
Activision had a campus with 7 buildings each 7 stories so Apollo would have 8 buildings of 8 stories

now compare that to latest rtv.
example 1
example 2
example 3

you can find tons of more examples in other news pieces CR has done.
More lethal fps than call of duty.
better than elite dangerous.
etc..

Cr is always looking at competition thinking that he can do that better and bigger.

Scruffpuff posted:

PederP posted:

The Swiss have this wonderful convention for numbers separators: 1'234'567.89. As for whether it is a preference or not to use , or . - it is not a preference, but the actual standard for number formatting. It is also annoying as a programmer to handle the different standards - the Indian one is odd (separation is not by thousands but another system), and then there's the Swiss one I mentioned at first. If you're making financial software you better not interpret , and . the wrong way, as the consequences can be pretty severe.
You've giving CIG ideas how to get out of refunds now.

"Oh, we refunded your account."

"Yes I see a credit for $1.60, but I gave you guys $1,600..."

"REFUND SUCCSSFL"

Toops posted:

An alpha is supposed to be feature complete. Period. And what I mean by "feature complete" is "core gameplay systems are all present." Not a few. Not most. ALL. Now, maybe you only have a couple levels done. Maybe your boss fight mechanics are overly simplistic. Maybe your art assets are placeholder. Maybe you need to hire some hotshot to write genius-level shaders to bump the graphical fidelity, or pull in top-level artists to build production-ready models. But the purpose of an alpha is to experience the philosophy of your game and answer one question: "Is this fun or not?" Is this gonna work? Will this foundation support the weight required for a memorable experience?

If Chris Roberts truly was the visionary he says he is, Star Citizen would be fun already. It would be obvious.

But Alpha isn't a terminal state in development, and that's why the term is confusing. If the answer to "is it fun?" is demonstrably "no" or even "not quite," you need to figure out why and iterate. That might mean tweaking existing systems, scrapping some, adding others, or (most likely) some combination of those. But when you say "We hit alpha!" you are saying "This is the game! It will be longer than this, but if the game is to be good and fun, you will feel it, now."

This is where your code, your process, and your culture dictates your game's success or failure. If you have talented managers and engineers, they will have already designed the game in a way that's iterable. Changing code is destructive. Re-doing models is destructive. These activities all have a time-cost. If your code is a messy, incomprehensible, tangled, panic-ridden, crunch-driven, tightly-coupled acid trip, where "everything's like, connected man!" and touching one tiny part breaks the whole machine, you will fail. Straight up, you're done. What you got is what you got. This is the point at which publishers pull the plug on failing projects. Your first shot at it was way off, and it's clear that starting over would be faster than fixing this mess. And I'm telling you right now, Star Citizen is a perfect diamond bullet of engineering failure in that regard. You're seeing it play out in real time. That fact was evident to anyone with experience in this industry as early as 2015.

When I heard Illfonic on ATV, visibly and audibly dejected, week after painful week making no progress after months-long merge-hell, I knew that Star Citizen was a complete failure, because how did they get there? I knew CIG would go dark on Star Marine, because how could they possibly be honest about their complete project management incompetence and uphold "the vision" that fueled their very existence? And whaddya know, CIG went dark.

I'm saying this as a means of strengthening your thesis that CIG is doing things backwards. It's very evident to me that CIG still has absolutely no idea what the game called "Star Citizen" is supposed to be.

The tragedy for me, and what makes this so hard to stomach, is that CIG is literally exploiting every heartless technique in the book to trick people into giving them more money, just so they can continue to fail at everything they attempt.

Edit: I think most of the confusion around the term "alpha" comes from this era of "early access." If you're playing an "early access" build of a game, you are playing a pre-alpha build, by definition. It's just that "pre-alpha" has a slightly negative connotation that roughly approaches "early" which, in turn, implies "we're not quite sure just what the hell we're doing yet." This is not a scary word for developers, because they spend almost the entirety of their professional lives in this state. But it's scary to paying customers. I love early access, because to me, it's fun to participate in the process. When I worked in this industry, I was a part of both successful and horrible games, and from that vantage it's endlessly fascinating to watch the humanity (of both developer and consumer) behind the immensely complex process of building a technological work of art. When it comes to Star Citizen, the entire endeavor: manager, engineer, HR rep, executive, backer, fan, media representative... ALL of them, almost without exception, are worthy of ridicule and scorn. This is, beyond any doubt, the worst game development project I've ever seen.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 26, 2018

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I bet she fucks like a tiger

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

It's time to consider the option that this is a Tony-Clifton-level work of long form performance art meant to expose the ridiculousness of an entire industry and the fanbase it attracts.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Whats flying by at the end of the Gif loop? Four knives?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Thanks very much for this thread, it owns xx

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Whats flying by at the end of the Gif loop? Four knives?

Imagine four knives at the edge of a ship. Clipping works the same way.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

March Set 10

Bootcha posted:

So the time I got out of my investment, there was something else going on. I didn't know it at the time, but later I've learned there was something VERY MUCH going on at the time.

I will talk about it in my video series. Much much later yeah, but you'll know it.

Also I love you all, even MOMA. Shout out to MOMA, you have believed for so long, even after so many hiccups. If only you were as critical about the project as you are with us.

Seriously, if folks were half as critical about Dereke as you are with Star Citizen, Roberts would have so much less wiggle room to pawn blame on his subordinates.

This was a crucial element established early in the development.

Chris was Jesus. He could not be wrong. His exposure to any dissenting opinion was VERY limited except in case of "gently caress we gotta address this".

EVERY TIME CHRIS APPEARS ON CAMERA IS NO FLIPPANT MISTAKE.

The Lord and Savior of PC gaming is coldly calculated.

CR can not be wrong, he can do no wrong.

They mythological Christ Roberts cannot be in any position to accept blame or be at fault, who the gently caress is backing him up?

Tony Z? AHAHAHAHAHAHA, the guy CR hosed over back in Digital Anvil for collapsing the company before Tony Z could figure out his canceled Loose Cannon game? No seriously CR hosed over Tony Z. The position Tony Z has right now is an apology of trespasses years ago. And apology of a good salary and no other demands other than keeping Austin open in spite of Dereke's doomsaying.

Austin has no one Chris likes, either not under his critique/control, or for having "ideas" to make the game better.

SomethingJones posted:

The original pitch was still outside of the scope of CryEngine as documented and still would require modification.

The modified engine they have right now is still incapable of handling that original pitch. Basic movement, collision detection and AI is beyond the capabilities of the engine right now. It's actually not possible to build a commercial game with it at this moment in time.

Not even the Crytek engineers that Chris headhunted resolved any of this, and CIG have yet to show any fruit from switching to LY. They only switched to push Crytek out of the Star Citizen bed and Crytek upped and sued them for it.

The amount of money and time that's gone into that engine is unbelievable, and each feature CIG have brought into it has come at a cost of breaking something else in increasingly more complex and nightmarish ways.

The project is dead in the water because they have killed their engine and everyone working on it past and present knows it and says it. The marketing machinery is all that's left and it doesn't have much of a market to tap into because the rest of the industry has moved on and taken all the gamers with it.

CIG is an outmoded company with outdated tech funded by middle aged men stuck in the 90s who hate themselves.

G0RF posted:

STATE OF THE GAME: WTFO EDITION
(or “WTFO meets ‘the worst Uber driver ever’, an Existential Horror Story”)

I was checking out recent streams, curious how the 3.1 testing was going, and saw WTFO testing out Service Beacons, which went from non-functional to functional in a recent update. Given that Roberts was hyping player-generated missions as bringing a new dynamism to the ‘Verse, i was eager to see how it worked in practical terms.

At the link above, he’s sending out the request for a $100 Uber ride to Grimhex. By 28:25, his driver has arrived but floats a couple hundred meters off of the landing zone. WTFO’s annoyance was so visceral it almost felt like a real life cab had parked 2 football fields away from him and expected him to close the remaining distance.

“Is HE going to make me fly, fuckin’ EVA over to HIM?!”

He has to EVA out but you can see the gears turning as he’s planning his one star review for the pilot.

Eventually, against the sputtering backdrop of the server, he reaches the Terrapin and doubts he’ll be able to enter. However, he manages to open the side door and fly in, then closes the door and seats himself. He has a view of the pilot, skittering about at 6 FPS before he seats himself.

WTFO grouses yet again about the “worst Uber driver ever” making him have to EVA over to the ship, an action which required him to depress one key on his keyboard for less than ten seconds.

He is now secured in his passenger seat with a military tech babytray locking him in position. His view of space is only a tiny slideshow glimpsed past the pilot he can not communicate with, who is far, far ahead of him in the Terrapin cockpit.

“Let’s see if he figures out where we need to go...”

After nearly a minute of 4 FPS action, it seems all hope is lost. (31:05) WTFO assumes the server has crashed. But wait! What’s this? The pilot is turning around... 20 degrees at a time. He gets out of his seat. Stands, and after an awkward pause begins moving down the corridor in a fashion so comically terrifying it can’t be described, only seen to never be unseen again.

WTFO is, however, trapped in his military tech babychair, restrained by the tray. The macabre dance as the pilot moves closer foreshadows pending death and even WTFO can sense it nearing.

From chat: “He is going to come and shoot you...”

WTFO braces for the inevitable as the pilot spaz-a-jigs up beside him. The end is so obviously near, with the hope of a crashing server seeming our surly bearded hero’s only chance of escape.

At 32:00 in, the Pilot starts a stuttering, slow-motion fall that under better conditions might have looked like a man crumpling to his death. But this is not such a circumstance.

“He just killed himself... and I can’t get out of the thing.”

His “worst Uber driver ever” now dead, his spacedoll trapped in his military spec babychair, WTFO has no choice but to quit as well. Yet the show must go on, so he returns as he so often does, to the mundane miseries of another Star Marine session. It will last three hours that surely feel like six.

At least he’s not stuck playing Sea of Thieves. It doesn’t have half the gameplay of Chris Roberts’ Star Citizen.

Quavers posted:

Germany uses a comma decimal separator. CIG's Frankfurt studio converted CryEngine to 64bit.

UK and US use a dot decimal separator. CIG's contractor Illfonic (US) created the first Star Marine.

:laffo: if "StarEngine" is full of comma/dot inconsistencies, because CIG.

"the scale is wrong!"
"why?"
"not sure, sometimes the debugger picks 1000km distances up as 1km and I don't know why"
"what should we do? Chris Roberts, Visionary Director, will go nuts"
"contact Ben Lesnick, Developer. He'll fix this"

D_Smart posted:

Star Citizen Alpha 3.1.0l PTU.737437 Patch Notes

:laffo:

First comment: "Game Over man, Game Over... I'll never be allowed to play SC anymore now... Is impossible to fight anyone at 5 FPS... The Interdiction is already a poo poo. And now you finish to f*** us... FIX THE PERFORMANCE before add REQUIRED COMBAT!"

We! The pure pledgers and backers!
I'm thinking out loud... I see many posts that seem pure questions at first glance with an inner intention to harm or to complain about the effort of this development, to push to demand to degrade what most of us have witnessed by all that shows and discussions and proof and whatsoever by the years the CIG team did.
I want to remind to this community.. and whoever else concerns this, that behind all that marketing, the open development(see 6 years of content), the core the idea of making this project is to be independent of bad publishers, of dead end lines of brain washed game industry clerks.
I cant catch my thought fast enough to type it all here but you get the spirit. Ιf you ask me, development restarted at 2016 for good reasons so do the math guys.

Bofast posted:

It sounded like a good album title, so...

Renegret posted:

what am I looking for

looks fine to me

*sticks fingers in ears*

Mr Fronts posted:

NON-CONCIERGE PLAYERS ARE AT A HIGHER RISK OF BEING DENIED ACCESS TO PROVIDE A SEMI-ACCEPTABLE GAMEPLAY EXPERIENCE FOR OUR MORE VALUED CUSTOMERS.

gently caress you, space poors.

Scruffpuff posted:

:lol::lol::lol:

I can't figure out whether or not that's fake, which tells you pretty much everything you need to know about CIG's reputation in TYOOL 2018.

Also :laffo: at the "We have significantly reduced server load..." which makes you start to think they figured out some optimization finally, then you get hit with "...by reducing the amount of players who can concurrently enter the game."

Edit: OK found the original post, fake after all, but loving laughing my rear end off anyway. That paragraph would have fit in just fine during the 2015-2016 CIG wonder years.

PederP posted:

It's not just that - in my experience most of the people looking for a new virtual home want the feeling they had with their first MMO experience. But there's a reason Wildstar failed hard despite catering to the kind of nostalgia espoused by Lethality here. Even when they do get a "slow drip" game, a) it doesn't recapture the excitement of the first hit of virtual smack, b) it's nowhere near as popular as the MMOs of old, c) the community is toxic cesspool.

I think that's where some of that resentment towards "console gamers" and mainstream gaming in general comes from. They need their chosen game to be popular - which shows in the wildly unrealistic expectations of how popular they think Star Citizen will be. Even if completed as a bug-free game with lots of content, it will be a niche game, and that's not what they want. I can sort of empathize with these socially oriented gamers who lack social and gaming skills to succeed in the mainstream games, and possibly even in life outside of gaming, and desperately throwing money at every new MMO hype-machine in the hopes of getting back the virtual worlds of yore (with more fidelity). Nostalgia is a powerful thing, but chasing it tends to bring about disappointment.

It's somewhat weird that there's a relatively large segment of the gaming community, that don't really find much fun in gaming anymore, but mostly just derive enjoyment from the community aspects of seeking the perfect game. It's been said over and over by lots of people, but the only thing which will make them lose faith in Star Citizen is a proper release. They'll enjoy a buggy alpha dreaming of the end result, but they'll hate even a polished and awesome released game as it fails to be the dream come true. Perhaps CIG has unwittingly hit the jackpot with this crowd - a perfect match of a company chronically unable to deliver the game and a group of pseudo-gamers that in their heart of hearts don't want a release.

Bofast posted:

quote:

Ooooh, subtle :five:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

March Set 11

G0RF posted:

his nibs posted:

:siren: IMPORTANT EGGS UPDATE :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQQYS7ibtvo&t=312s

Chris Roberts played Final Fantasy XV and the fever dream seized him yet again,

“Our eggs have to look better than theirs, they have to be better than theirs! We, we eh uh I want Procedurally Generated eggs on the menu! All of our food must be procedurally generated! Get me Frankfurt on the line... I don’t care if it’s 2am then you just have to page Chambers at home...“ A brief toddle-about ensues as he waits, “Brian, it’s Chris, listen I want the planetary tech but for food. We need procedurally generated meals in Squadron because no one has ever taken it far, the Publishers have almost always made developers cut corners on in-game food but if we are going to sell the narrative of a living, breathing Mess Hall, I want food variations that speak to the authenticity of hand preparation. We’ll have the tech do the first half and then I want handcrafted little insertions to make sure there’s the fidelity levels we need, so a guy puts in a little splash of gristle here, maybe a spat of still melting butter there. Alright? No, no Hurston can wait a while longer will just do another poll for 3.3 and break it to them that way...”

SelenicMartian posted:

:pervert:

But there's more

Crobbs is glad to have splurged for rear end jiggle mocap

Scruffpuff posted:

If you'd asked me which was the fake - the tweet earlier about their "more valued customers" or this Youtube video about procedural mess hall food, I'd had flagged the video as the fake one 100%.

Nice to see CIG, as usual, being more absurd in every way than a joke post specifically trying to be over the top.

Thoatse posted:

Which came first, the procedurally generated bird or the procedurally generated egg

(neither of course)

structure posted:

That mess hall tech and mocap has easily consumed 2 years of work for at least 2 dozen developers and more than 10 million dollars when everything is included.

Scruffpuff posted:

6 years ago Chris Roberts promised the world this:

And now, in 2018, we learn about all the hard work CIG has been doing on this:

Chris Roberts, you enormous piece of loving poo poo. You're a charlatan, a liar, and a thief. You're a goddamned genetic error from thumb to bum. We can only hope you get to marvel at the fidelity of the inside of a cell one day.

Or a padded room.

D_Smart posted:

So I watched the eggcelent episode. As a career gamedev, I am completely at a loss for words.

Loxbourne posted:

The procedural space baked beans are presumably on the menu so players can test the atmosphere monitoring system with a gas that isn't argon.

Sunswipe posted:

Eggs. Easter. April Fools Day. It's all falling into place.

No it isn't. What in the name of Greek buggery is wrong with these people?

Scruffpuff posted:

Dear Star Citizen Developers,

Please know that all your hard work and effort on Star Citizen has resulted in several posters in a dead gay comedy forum discussing, unironically, whether or not it was an April Fool's joke.

I hope you poured your hearts and souls into it. I hope you had sleepless nights, sacrificed your health, and neglected your spouses to the brink of divorce. Please know that after all that sacrifice, the fruit of your efforts is people mistaking your work for a prank.

Stand tall, CIG developers: your best efforts are indistinguishable from real developers taking the piss.

ComfyPants posted:

I am Thumb.
Thumb I am.

That Thumb-I-am, that Thumb-I-am!
I do not like that Thumb-I-am.

Do you like dream eggs and scam?

I do not like them, Thumb-I-am.
I do not like dream eggs and scam.

Would you like them from a bear?

I would not like them from a bear.
I would not like them anywhere.

Would you like them from a louse?
Would you like them from my spouse?

I do not like them from a louse.
I do not like them from your spouse.

Would you buy them for some bucks?
Impress a bunch of other schmucks?

Not for some bucks.
Not for some schmucks.
Not from a louse.
Not from a spouse.

Would you? Could you?
In a bar?
Meet them! Meet them!
Chumps they are!

I would not, could not, in a bar.

You may like them.
You will see.
You may like them
For a fee!

I would not, could not for a fee.
Not in a bar! My dignity!

I do not like them for some bucks.
I do not like them for some schmucks.
I do not like them from a louse.
I do not like them from a bear.
I do not like them anywhere.

Could you buy a leather coat?

I would not buy a leather coat.

Would you, could you, on my boat?

I would not, could not, on your boat.
I will not buy a leather coat.
I will not buy them for a fee.
Not in a bar! My dignity!
I do not like them for some bucks.
I do not like them for some schmucks.
I will not buy them from a louse.
I do not like them from a bear.
I do not like them anywhere!
I do not like dream eggs and scam!
I do not like them, Thumb-I-am!

You do not like them.
So you say.
Buy them! Buy them!
And you may.
Buy them and you may I say.

Say! I HATE dream eggs and scam!
I do! I hate them, Thumb-I-am!
And I would hate them in on your boat!
And I would hate a leather coat.
And I would hate them for a fee.
I'd hate the bar! My dignity!
And I will hate them for some bucks.
And I will hate them for some schmucks.
And I will hate them from a louse.
And I will hate them from your spouse.
And I will hate them from a bear.
Say! I will hate them anywhere!
I do not like dream eggs and scam!
gently caress you!
gently caress you, Thumb-I-am.

forums.frontier.co.uk posted:

I've been meaning to comment on CIG's use of "Universe" for a long time. It's a pet peeve of mine... universe this, universe that... in the 'verse. Ugh.

They don't have a universe.
They don't have a galaxy.
They don't even have a single star system.

In what universe do they have the temerity to say they have a universe? (Tentative answer: The same universe where backers are gullible enough to accept that they do.)

Scruffpuff posted:

The implication that CIG is trying to get away with here is that if this is the amount of time they're spending on something as stupid and immaterial as food, imagine how much time, effort, and workmanship is going into the core gameplay! Star Citizen is good!

Whereas the reality is that the reason they're working on fidelitous dream eggs and scam is because they can't get any of the core game working at all. CIG can't get anything working that matters, so they go all-out on stupid bullshit because it's all they CAN do.

Everything with this loving scam company is about manipulating public perception to allow the consumer to conclude the game is good, rather than stating it outright and getting nailed for fraud. Star Citizen MUST be good - look at how much work goes into just the eggs! Star Citizen MUST be good, look at all the incredible screenshots! Star Citizen MUST be good, look at all the subjects the tweets cover! Look how many backers there are! Look how healthy the tracker is! Look how amazing the cinematic trailers are! Look how hard the devs are working!

CIG doesn't need to lie - they let the backers lie to themselves. They set out all the breadcrumbs in a nice little row and lead the cultists right off the cliff.

New money only, please.

quote:

Worth Clicking: https://clips.twitch.tv/IronicMotionlessLadiesFrankerZ (video: Streamer fuses two ships together)

quote:

The SpaceBro Show - 3/23/2018
1:43 - "we're gonna be back to the same [progress graphs], where it's these cool bars that never do anything for the last quarter to the whole year"
1:43:57 - "'two or three years it's going to be better', I was here saying the same thing and here we are. I mean [...] this drat item 2.0, we been hearing about this poo poo for like two year[s], and it's still not all the way implemented. It's not in. We keep hearing about this magic sauce about it.'"
1:45:25 - 'I like how they're including us, that's a plus. but I also feel like this is methodology in order to push things out of 3.2 and then blame us'
1:49:35 - "We need more gameplay loops" "My God. This is a multiplayer game it's supposed to be long term, and we still haven't fixed the party system" "What party system?" "Exactly"
1:50 - 'oh we're raggin on CIG? Well usually everyone is a kissass fanboy and you don't get to hear this stuff. We still love Star Citizen. We've been hearing two or three years since forever'
1:53 - "'we could all get into a connie together' oh great, it would be me driving and a bunch of dudes hanging out watching; cause there's nothing to do in the ship together."
1:55 - 'wtf am I even voting on, I don't understand half of these'
1:57:15 - "I don't like this survey"
3:00:13 - 'Theres been 5 "exclusive" ships that they've re-released. Everything I bought that I thought was special doesn't mean poo poo, and it kinda pisses me off a little bit.'
3:23:45 - "I don't care about nothing but the ships"
3:29:40 - riff on limited sales

Virtual Captain posted:

cig_sherman: "The challenge is making all of those systems, in a manner that'll hold up over the longterm, is a huge challenge, especially considering how the reactions people have had in the past just from seeing glimpses of varied game mechanics."

cig_sherman: "As-is, we've got to be a bit more measured before pushing any gameplay system into the build because whatever that first glipse is will skew some expectations."

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

April Set 1

Spectrum posted:

This is 3 months of optimization and bugfixing?
As i take off, i rammed a piece of debries and the game crashed instantly.

Overall i expectd much more from this patch. It were 3 months and this is the result?
It is still unplayable and almost everything is frustrating to use or do. I don´t see a bright future for this game and i slowly am loosing the pink in my glasses.
Just wanted to get it off my chest, and maybe someone reads this and feels with me.

SomethingJones posted:

New job posting for LA Office:

Administrative Assistant to the Senior Executive Assistant
https://cloudimperiumgames.com/jobs/681-Administrative-Assistant

I think they might be starting a small government over there.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

quote:

• Assists in food orders for Executives during crunch times.
“Crunching is discouraged”

*hires someone whos job it is to do food runs when crunching”

quote:

• College degree preferred.

That does it, I give up on this game for now
I could deal with 3.0, but 3.1 is just broken. They nerfed trading into the ground, so now there's no way to make money. I've attempted 5 missions since 3.1 dropped and been unable to complete a single one. 1 time I was killed by griefers, but the other 4 were due to crashes or game breaking bugs (like when I was 400 meters from the drop off point only to get stuck in an elevator). After every crash I have to either pay ~500 UAC or wait half an hour. FUN! This would be fine if the game itself was fun to play and just screw around in, but it isn't, even if you ignore the 10-30 FPS. 3.0 was frustrating, but at least there were things to do, and some form of progression. 3.1 is outright broken, not only is it not fun, but it's nearly impossible to test the game when it crashes before you can actually do anything, then you get to wait half an hour to play again. If 3.2 isn't a MASSIVE improvement I'm out. Maybe I'll buy it in 2050 when it comes out.

Spectrum posted:

I'm a old backer now and have been through lot of instable patch. But after months and months on the 2.6... the expectation for the 3.0 has been made HUGE by CIG. And even if the the planet tech is amazing, the game was not really playable. Instability, bugs, low FPS, broken missions etc. The disapointment has been big enough to kill the motivation and I didnt touch the game anymore for around 2 months, hoping that the 3.1 will fix that and give us what the 3.0 should have been.

Now the 3.1 is out. And I actually cant even play anymore, I launch the game, play 2-3min and it freeze (even CTRL ALT SUPPR doesnt work) and I have to actually reset the whole PC. I know we are in Alpha so dont give me the usual s*** but I really feel like every patch make it worse...
The spark is honestly dying  

PederP posted:

Scruffpuff posted:

The landing on that ship gear is the game. That is Star Citizen.

Normal people won't notice it. Gamers with a keen eye might eventually notice it and think "that's cool" precisely once and never see it again.

A very particular kind of sperg with a very specific cognitive defect and/or misfire will fixate on the landing gear and actually get a dopamine rush every time they see it. Chris has this illness. Because of that, 99% of Star Citizen development time is spent on those efforts - those tiny details that sane people miss - the procedural eggs, the reflection in the space suit visor.

Remember that kid who was saying, in breathless tones, "THE FIDELITY" because he could see the UI in another player's cockpit before noticing he could also manipulate them due to poo poo code? You could see his estrogen-dominant system deflating what remained of his weak, fidelity-infused erection in real time. That is the target market.

That is all Star Citizen is. Thousands of minute, irrelevant visual details stitched together like a Frankenstein's monster of everything wrong with gaming. $180 million and 6 years on nothing but the leather jacket on a non-functional NPC, the black janitor with the mop, and the fully rendered inside of your eyelid. That is Star Citizen.
Well said. That's what is so truly mind-boggling. It's not just the relentless optimism and staunch belief in this being (or becoming depending on the situation) the best game ever, despite a long history of delays, missing features and bugs galore. It's that whatever game does materialize is downright horrible. The insane insurance timers, the pay-to-win approach to ship acquisition, the cringy dialogue, the plethora of griefing opportunities in a game with possibly the most griefing-phobic playerbase ever seen, etc.

Then there's the constant lies about the AI, the content generation, the absolutely-not-loading-screens, the persistence, etc. It's absolutely bizarre to watch how they're downright abusing their fanbase.

I recently upgraded a Nox LTI to a Terrapin using various 'upgrade' tokens...it was a total nightmare and took an hour, even with somebody Texting me an step by step for it. Never again.

/u/Bootcha posted:

I'm Bootcha the SA Goon ex-investor that pulled about a year ago. I was like you, an ardent CIG defender and cynic of Derek Smart's campaign. And then I reversed. You know why?
Because I started asking some hard questions, both to CIG and myself. Was I willing to brush off some questionable practices in favor of the product release? I after all put some serious dosh into this project, and I was looking for a healthy ROI in addition to a game I craved.
Why would I jump off a money train that was set to revolutionize gaming as we previously knew it?
Because in the process of asking those tough questions, I found a very rotten core of top management that would torpedo development of the product on its own. Abusive language prolific against both junior and senior positions. Redundant reworking on assets that should have been set in stone years ago. Grievous losses of internal development knowledge with the departure of senior key staff. Questionable financial assets AND expenditures overseen by a key executive that was part of THE largest video game industry scam (Gizmondo). Worrying expenses allocated to non-core development (extensive A-list acting talent for SQ42 MoCap at one of the most expensive MoCap facilitators, Imaginarium, when funds had been allocated to serve this same purpose for cheaper).
And this does not include other internally verified transgressions against backer goodwill and good industry practices such as backer-paid executive vacations to Monaco, the hiring of Franklin Global Security Consulting to harass no less than 3 ex-employees in an attempt to pin the 2015 "leak" on them, and the continued full salary payment of part-time executive staff while they pursue employment in other industries.
It is true, many of us are trapped in the same loop of whether or not CIG can actually produce the product we backed/invested in. The difference between us, the malcontents, and you, the true believers, is that we hear a lot more than you do. Not just from Derek Smart, but from CIG employees past and present as well as other industry veterans. We fact check, we deliberate, we shitpost, we have our own wish fulfillment and we have our own personal disappointments. But one theme always remains clear: There is always more, and it is always worse.
We can't change your mind, we can't tell you what to believe, and we can't give you your money back.
We can, however, drag you kicking and screaming to the truth.
And you can rest assured...
We will ruin everything.

/u/Bootcha posted:

But you don't want to hurt CIG. And you don't want to hurt the money you've already sunk in.
CIG loves you, and needs money. You love CIG, and you have money. Buy a spaceship, and it'll be alright.

Hav posted:

DapperDon posted:

Beet Wagon posted:

So, I figured "Alright, I own the game, at some point I'm definitely gonna stream 3.1 for goons to mock, I should take a minute now and set up all my key bindings so it's at least somewhat playable."

This happened the second after I agreed to the new ToS, before the game even launched:

I'm sure this is a sign of a great gaming experience to come.
Are you making GBS threads me? It crashed before launching? How does this happen?
To be fair it’s taken four hundred developers five years. They just make it look effortless.

Beet Wagon posted:

Trip Report:I opted to venture into the PU just to see what it was like. First step was creating a jaundiced redhead with a pompadour because there's only like 9 options and that was the most interesting one. Everything is still janky as all gently caress, and NPCs in Olisar routinely walk through walls and doors and poo poo still. It feels like their "inner thought" interaction works about half the time? They definitely spent a lot of effort working on making it so you can't clip through the doors of the airlocks, although I think I mentioned this last time I played. It looks like after five long years the reign of terror of the naked space men might be over. Spawned an Aurora, bounced it off a parked Reclaimer. He didn't blow up, so I'm not sure if it's just that the Reclaimer is beefy as hell or that parked ships are still invincible because :pgabz:. I suspect it's just that the Reclaimer was beefy as poo poo, because he lifted off and I followed him around and bounced off him for about ten minutes. Near as I could tell he took no damage, although it was immensely fun just bouncing him around for as long as I did, and I was surprised how well my ship held up. I wonder if they didn't beef up shields or lower impact damage or something. It seems like the Reclaimer is going to suck rear end in a fight, although I have my doubts about whether or not the starter ships are even going to be able to bring the shields down on one. The last time I tried fighting something in my Aurora it did not go well. I eventually bounced off him enough to blow up, kicking off a 25 minute respawn timer I opted not to wait for. I will say I did spend a couple minutes bouncing my spaceman off turrets in the hope I could clip through into another Reclaimer that spawned, to no avail. I'm sure the issues are still there, it'll just take a bit to find the right seams I expect.

Frame rate max: 28

Was Star Citizen able to close without crashing?: No

Score: 2/10

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

E G G S

but really, just all over the place

The procedurally generated lunch probably* didn't happen because someone was like THIS IS OUR NEW HIGHEST PRIORITY, it happened because Word From On High was doing whatever that cafeteria scene is was priority, someone found a cool dumb side feature of whatever tool they showed off is, and spent a bunch of time working on that because he's just a code monkey peon in the grand scheme of things, and it's his boss's boss's boss that's getting actually yelled at by croberts about poo poo so why does he give a gently caress? they're still cutting him a paycheck so :shrug:

in a company with no direction, people will either default to "do nothing reading reddit" or "do whatever side projects interest them", and in a company full of new blood fresh college students you're going to get a lot of the latter, which is how we've ended up in this situation to start with. it's real easy to hack together a 80% functional baseline side project of pretty much anything; the real trick comes when it's time to integrate it with other existing systems.

also worth noting is your question is the one that bad management inevitably asks right before the house of cards fall in. everyone's been working, everyone's been productive, they've been watching over people's shoulders and Things Are Getting Done, so why aren't they closer to being done than they were? and the answer is 30 people all digging holes and tossing dirt into the hole the person behind them is digging, all in a circle, is just as "productive" on an individual level. but the point of management is to manage, as in "the project as a whole", as in "being able to take a step back and realize everyone's getting in everyone else's way and you need to do something different" instead of getting rabbitholed on the fidelity of the ship models. because nobody sat down and figured out what large scale, long term situation is, everyone just productively and efficiently gets in each other's way. just look at any number of bugsmasher episodes that start off with "so this was working 3 months ago and broke and we have no idea why", and the fix is a kludge that fixes the short-term issue and will introduce at least 10 more issues down the road for other people.

and add into that the dev churn, and expect that every new-to-the-project developer is probably going to take at least a month or two to get comfortable enough with the codebase as a whole to actually fix more problems than they introduce because they're not familiar with the tribal knowledge kludges that have come before.

the surprising thing isn't that they're as far behind as they are, the surprising thing is that they've gotten as far as they have. and it sounds like a large portion of that was "crytek", "external contractors" or "people who managed to hide their side projects long enough to implement it as an effective standalone" like the "-moons"

Dooguk posted:

Worth Clicking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYbJGh8KHec (video: elevator never stops after clipping through ship and car)

Wanted to see what would happen afterwards when you pressed the other floors.

It flew me back into the elevator shaft then went a bit crazy and clipped me through the moon so I was just endlessly falling

Tokamak posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/245893745?t=1380
28:48 Disco_Lando: We also never use the word sale. YOU guys use the word sale. =)

31:13 PrimeDevilCloudGaming: @Disco_Lando :: goes to email and copies directly from an RSI email :: Hurricane SaleThe Anvil Hurricane Sale ends this Monday, March 6th...

31:48 Disco_Lando: That was from a year ago @DevilCloudGaming. We've made the terminology change since then.

lmao

Bayonnefrog posted:

Folks think of this: the community person in a $180mil game comes onto a 50 person viewship twitch chat to quibble with the streamers about "sale" vs "promo" Unbelievable. I have nothing but contempt for Scam Citizen and it's backers. I hope Crytek cleans them out. Then goes after the top two buffoons' personals just for fun.

SomethingJones posted:

Imagine streaming a game and the community manager for the game comes in your chat and starts telling which words you can and cannot use to talk about the game.

Here's a helpful pro-tip for SC streamers - next time that happens, tell Lando to go gently caress himself.

Now imagine I made a supercut of all the times the word 'sale' has been used in hundreds of CIG marketing videos.

Goons posted:

"Game?.. No no no, 'game' is your word, we never call it that, we call it a 'Motion capture animated movie'! "

“Buy” is YOUR word. We call them “Singular Cashflow Investments”

We don't use the word 'criticism' any more, we use the phrase 'valid community feedback for a product still in alpha'

We don't use the word 'bots' any more, we prefer the phrase 'artificial quasi-sentient scriptomongs'

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

April Set 2

Nyast posted:

quote:

Kirk: Uh... ship to ship and ship to station docking, ah... were PLANNED for quite some time, unfortunately they're ah... a little bit in the BACKLOG so we haven't had an opportunity to work on them... but they are in the WORKS and we do plan to not only allow to, um... SHIPS to... dock with EACH OTHER, but also to dock on specific ports on stations. Um, and... this is primarily to allow the transport of both personnel and cargo... using some, ah... PHYSICAL MEANS to transport those commodities in between ah... uhh... eh... ahhh.....
Star Citizen: Things are in the works but we haven't had an opportunity to work on them.

Seriously, can't invent that stuff.

Nyast posted:

Frontier got $2.5M in crowdfunding and produced Elite: Dangerous and its expansions.

Meanwhile, CIG got $180M in crowdfunding ( x72 more ) and produced... a buggy 20 fps alpha and are years away from an MVP.

Yup, no problem here.

Nyast posted:

There is a very fundamental thing in game development, that non-developers absolutely do not understand ( not just game development actually.. software development in general ).

Code complexity grows exponentially with the number of features you're implementing - not linearly.

Let that sink for a moment.

Doubling the number of features/elements included in your game does not take twice longer to implement. It quadruples, or even more.

Spectrum posted:

3.1: Yet another opportunity wasted - Thread closed for continued trolling, baiting, and mocking of others.

I consider myself a neutral backer. I love the game and have already supported it to a concierge level...but, man, sometimes it is so hard to recommend it to any of my friends.

The reason is simple. Since the 2.6.3 release, CIG refuses to build a playable patch....Remember that the game is advertised as “playable right now, all you need is a 45$ game package”. To me, it should either be playable, or not advertised as such!

Some fellow backers refuse to admit that it is not 2012 anymore!!! The company is stable, there are studios, 400+ employees, backers that throw ridiculous amount of funds in this game. For me, there is no excuse for this mess.

And by “mess” I mean the CIG’s endeavors to ruin gameplay experience in every step of the way.

The way I see it is...
It is always form over function
It is always visuals over performance
It is always new features over fixing the old broken ones

WE DONT NEED ANY NEW FEATURES

We have a gameplay. We already have a excellent gameplay good enough to keep us busy for the rest of 2018!!! If only those elements worked...here is a list of things that do not function as intended. And CIG STUBBORNLY REFUSES TO FIX always using some stupid excuse...

Flight mechanics:
The flight model IS BRILLIANT, better than any other game. However, CIG refuses to dial down every parameter to bring it to a normal real life pace. Again... it “has to look cool” with unreal 12,5 G’s accelerations!!!, Who cares if we have to built an aimbot (aka e.s.p.) to help the player land shots? Just turn off e.s.p. and you will see. It is never about fixing the root of the issue, it is only about better patching it, with a better e.s.p. And yes of course it is competitive! It would have been anyhow!

Turrets:
Wasted opportunity. Why CIG stubbornly refuses to have a team of people to sit down and fix flight model, side by side with turrets to make a playable experience for both just eludes me!!! It is there!!! It is ready!!! It is a cheap fix!!! You give easy, cheap for you, gameplay experience...like WTF??? How come you waste this one for sooo long?

Missions:
Look CIG, we need missions! We need something. Anything. Why did you make this universe if there no missions there? Just take package from point a to point b? Just kill those pirates? Just shut down or turn on a comm array? C’mon now, do something with all those “very talented employees” of yours. And by the way, where is Miles? Where is Ruto? Which of you talented employees of yours made the call, to hide the new mission giver tech, behind a “secret” chain of missions? I mean like what? You spent all our money in those mission givers and just choose to hide them behind non working ECN missions??? Seriously??????

Persistence:
You had it coming!!! I really enjoyed this one. Look...persistence is a thing, however it has to be solid and meaningful. But since you have no idea, here is how it is done: Players MUST have some sence of progression, that means that a player must be able to earn a meaningful amount of money (aUEC or REC) thru mission completing (not just freaking 205aUEC per bugged mission!!!!) and use those to upgrade his/her ship with equipment! That means that the ship’s new load out FREAKING PERSISTS!!! Jesus!!! Fix that drat thing a.s.a.p. and stop worrying about planetary visuals!!!! We have excellent visuals!!! We have no gameplay to support them! And by the way, THANK YOU FOR MAKING THOSE NEW WAPONS, CURRENTLY UNABLE TO GET FROM...WELL... ANYWHERE!!! Lack of insight? Or you just missed that one?

Economy:
Best malfunctionIng game economy EVER! What were you thinking? A few missions, for 200ish earnings? Are you high? How many times do I have to do the same freaking take the box from point a to point b??? How can I support the insurance claim due to a server crash? I am not blaming you for the server crash here. I blame you for the lack of insight of your so called talented devs! Like...what? You didn’t see that coming? 1000aUEC for ship expedite of 45’ of ship respawn time, when the average mission just gives you 100-500 aUEC???

Piracy:
Shouldn’t piracy be more that just grieving by now? Did CIG noticed that you can’t sell the cargo of a stolen ship? So why do anyone be a dick and attack a fellow citizen, if no profit can be made? Simple solution, for a company that cares: The last to have seated in the pilot’s seat, gains rights to sell the cargo of that ship. So if you happen to steal one, or kill the pilot if one, you can make profit. Furthermore, whenever a ship blows up, these tiny boxes that emerge...SHOULD cost like 1000aUEC each for me to care collect them!!! I know that their 2aUEC value is true to the economy, but obviously it doesn’t work!!! Who will spend 5 hours to collect the boxes from the interdiction caterpillar for 100aUEC????...yeah...no wonder NO ONE bothers to kill interdiction ships, or collect their remains...(hint: no entity reduction...duh)

Item 2.0:
The item 2.0, as shown by the survey, is the most important thing for the people that give you money. We need, multiplayer item 2.0 working properly! That means my copilot alters the Shields and that works for every ship! That means my turret gunner can take power from my power generator (obviously my turret works for once!!!!). THAT MEANS, WHEN I GO TO STEALTH MODE I AM A BIT STEATHIER !!! That means that radar and scanning works in a first iteration!!! That means, when I shut down my nox IT IS NOT VISIBLE FROM 15KM AWAY IN A FREAKING CANYON!!!!! That means different detection ranges and different ship signatures depending on the ship setting!!! Like what the hell? Are we still playing arena commander 1.0???

Multiplayer:
For a so called mmo, you have the worst multiplayer interactions EVER. You added the service beacon, well done. But did you sit down for a second to think that maybe, just maybe, players them selves would simply like to give aUEC to another player??? I mean...think...what would be the problem to just let us players m, have the option to transfer money from player a to player b, for personal reasons!!! Obviously it would be done between org members, but it would be useful to just give money to an org member, to help him do bigger cargo runs and then let us split the profit!!! Easy, simple, immersive...But no...you want to troubleshoot for more service beacon options right??? Like a simple give x aURC to player z is to simple for you right???

Story telling:
It not Star citizen’s role to do that, but Can you please use that talented lore team of yours to add some bit of story telling INSIDE the game? I mean, you have the “tablet props”...freaking use them!!! Why haven’t you thought of adding some story telling in those planet assets of yours? Why do have the average backer, finding an outpost with no story involved, and read stories in the rsi site with no gameplay involved?...C’mon...simple stuff...a player gets to an emergency shelter or outpost, he/she finds some info with triangulation to find another derelict...no radar involved...simple...immersive...fund raising...

And the list goes on...I only highlighted the best of them...

Basically CIG sacrifices a good gameplay experience, for a better screenshot machine

Spectrum posted:

I have to agree with the OP. I am a programmer and was on a team that developed an MMO product. I only wish we had the funding CIG has received. CIG has received a tremendous amount of funding.

From my point of view the development is in disarray. The road map is good and should be CIGs focus. BUT we should be a little forgiving because it may need to be altered because of technical difficulties, etc. However, one thing that really gnaws at me is how incomplete every system is. I said INCOMPLETE - not BROKEN. There is a huge difference. Here is an example. The Reclaimer was released but all you can do is fly around in it. It isn't really usable - you cannot salvage anything - nor will you in the foreseeable future. If you cannot salvage anything then why release it? The Reclaimer (and many other ships) are in an INCOMPLETE state. The user environment would have a lot different attitude if the salvaging (or other) system was BROKEN and needed to be tweaked.

I was taught the development rule of "implement a complete system before implementing a second one". Why? So you KNOW the impacts and not GUESS the impacts. In other words, don't chase moving targets. Right now it appears to me that CIG is chasing moving targets all over the place. It eventually becomes a huge round-robin and nothing gets fully implemented because they are guessing about future possible impacts. Here is the salvaging trap as I see it: Can't do salvaging because combat is broken. Can't do combat because graphics mechanics is broken. Can't do graphic mechanics because it effects salvaging.

CIG - implement a complete functioning system: Salvage, Mining, Exploration, Combat, Missions, etc. Stick to the basics and get them working. You can iron out the inconsistencies later as the product matures. I think it's better have the users complaining about broken stuff than incomplete stuff.

Spectrum posted:

This is some BS
This is beyond a joke, even Star Marine is hard crashing every 2 minutes now.
It isn't even PU and has been out for ages yet still after supposed patch for stability this crap?

hot balls man no homo posted:

Chris Roberts is just like Willy Wonka except that he charges kids for Golden Tickets to experience the game. And it is not just five kids, he'll take anyone's money. And when you inevitably get killed by his shoddy workmanship, Oompa Loompas come out of the woodwork and scream "it's in alpha!" at you.

Quavers posted:

Port Jankisar can now Quantum Travel :psyboom:

:stonklol:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Lol at that guy who was saying "the graphics and gameplay are brilliant" then ragedumping on all the many ways the game is broken, completely broken

Nice job as always Captian

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
'When you read the Star Citizen thread, it feels like it'll never end. But however hard you try, you can't read it forever.
Everybody knows that everybody posts, and nobody knows it like Virtual Captain. But I do think that all the threads of all the subforums might just turn dark if he ever, for one moment, accepts it.

Everybody knows that everybody posts... but not every day. Not today. Some days are special. Some days are so, so blessed. Some days, nobody posts at all.
Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and Virtual Captain comes to call...
...everybody PARPs.' :gary:

I've never gif'd before. And no I don't know why felt compelled to do this.

Source, for anyone who hasn't watched Doctor Who: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzeeAUeIOzc

...keep postin', VC.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 5, 2018

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

El Grillo posted:

Something wonderful

A drastic improvement over the original.

You know you're in the money when a recap thread for another thread gets its own brilliant fanart.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
My tricorder detects no signs of Tane on this page

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

*tricorder beeps*

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

April Set 3

TheAgent posted:

hellol

quote:

Three of us [ex-CIG/Turbulent people] are now at Ubisoft Montreal working on Beyond Good & Evil 2. I see them around, they see me, we slightly acknowledge each other. There's a presence that hovers around us, what the managers and co-workers here call "Chris Stink." When there's all three of us in a conference or lift, some joker always starts up with the "Peee-yew, what is that stink?" and we all chuckle and laugh. I don't find it funny, though, and wish they would stop. My [time] with [Chris & Co] is something I do not want to relive whenever someone feels like taking a piss. I actively avoid the other two people now, going up stairs instead of the lift, sitting as far as I can away from them in meetings. It's unfortunate that some gentle ribbing hits me this hard.

CrazyLoon posted:

He should ask for gentle rubbing, not ribbing.

Gawain The Blind posted:

Professor Derek Smart (PHD, JD) sat back in his richly upholstered throne and took a deep breath, slowly exhaling as he felt the tension drain from his hard, muscular body. Finally, after all the time and effort and money he had invested to thoroughly destroy Chris Roberts and his foolish Cloud Imperium, finally the dragon was slain. Derek stood and walked to the nearby window of his industrial office compound and gazed out over the city below, still asleep, still unaware of his victory.

"Dial Sandy," he said, commanding the voice recognition software that monitored and recorded his every word for archival purposes.

"Derek." The voice on the other end was strained. Tired. Beaten. "What is it? You've taken everything from us already. There's nothing left."

"Not yet, Sandra. There is still one thing I want." Derek's voice was a smoldering growl from deep in his chest.

There was silence on the line for a moment, and then a rush of words. "It was just the one time, Derek. You knew the rules. We agreed. Never again."

Professor Derek Smart (PHD, JD, MFA) smiled at his indistinct reflection in the window, his mind lost in cherished memory. "Are you saying you don't think of that night at PAX east? I do, Sandra. Often. I think of the tangled nest of Cloud Imperium tote bags we made, and the way the light from your sand worm demo cascaded in high fidelity over your body."

He could hear her breath catch. "I... I can't."

Derek chuckled and turned from the window. "I have conquered all, Sandra. The war is over, and as I predicted in my tweet from 2013, you and Roberts have lost. Here is the address of the tw-"

"I don't need to read it!" she shouted, desperate now. "Leave me alone, Derek. Leave us alone, please. You win. You were right the whole time! Please, be merciful."

"Very well." Derek said. "For now. Goodbye, Sandra."

"Dere-"

"End call." Derek cut her off and returned to his throne. As he sat down, the shadows made by the heartbeat of his RGB keyboard cast him in shadow. He would sleep again, soon. This era was over, but there would be others. Other upstarts seeking to challenge his supremacy. He was Derek Smart. He was Eternal.

He always won.

Spectrum posted:

I can’t say one bad word about Star Citizen without the “Alpha Police” reminding me how stupid I am… OK, but everything CIG tells me, indicates we have a living breathing universe to explore. We have countless ships that are “flight ready”. Above all, they say I should spend money and “FLY NOW”…

This is a rational dissonance I can no longer ignore. Which is it, FLY NOW, or ALPHA?

Spectrum posted:

When [my friend] asked to see the PU I just said its not a good idea right now. Look he knows how much I like the game but it is seriously hard to translate my interest by showing things that used to work that no longer do. I used to brag about walking around in my hangar just chilling in my ships.... this is no longer even possible.

Just want to blow off some steam
This is a rant. Just downvote and move on if you want to defend SC to the bitter end.
I plegded back in 2012. My hopes were high and thought this would be it. The be all and end all of videogames. But here we are and there's absolutely no sign of it ever getting released and only more signs of it becoming a major flop. Demos used to be exciting; showcasing all the features we'd get to play. Now it's just boring videos of people talking fairy tales. They're just listing fiction instead of features and presenting them as if we're on the verge of getting our hands on it. I no longer get excited for demos... And it sucks. All it is now is new ships we'll never fly. New ship skins that cost real money instead of getting closer to playing the game.
I'm tired of waiting. It's been 6 years and the alpha is unplayable garbage; yes i know it's alpha but goddamn... I've also defended the game for years about its alpha status. With all these blocking performance problems, network issues and bugs they make videos about how they added more ships to the real money shop. 6 years to alpha 3.1 which should've released in 2016. Just extrapolate and I'd be surprised if you think they'll reach beta before 2025...
Im tired and fairly convinced this game will never release and if it does, it will be the biggest letdown ever. This game has at least taught me to never prepurchase a game ever again.

Erris posted:

Time for some Star Citizen praise. Patch 3.1 is excellent - a great improvement. Performance wise, gives me great hope for what's coming next. Reclaimer is beauty & the beast. Also, I was able to do some combat in the PU without screaming & putting my head through a wall. A+ CIG!

At the same time, as excellent as it is... please, please @RobertsSpaceInd can you make it a little easier to get to ground, and back to space? 20 minutes doing nothing in a Reclaimer trying to get to orbit is not exactly fun...

Sandweed posted:

Citizen: The reason SC is delayed is that Chris is a perfectionist and don't want to release a flawed product! That's why 3.0 was delayed a whole year.

*Roberts walks inn drops his pants and squeezes out a huge turd* Here it is, 3.0 is here!

*Citizen smears himself with the poo poo* Now this is perfection.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Is it best if the game fails, or is it best that the game releases in a broken, miserable state?

-------------------------

Our Commando is traveling the vast emptiness of the last server, CiG having been bought out by some Chinese company years ago.

"You get a free copy of Hellgate:London!" he boasts on reddit before he alt-tabs back to the cockpit of his carrier. The asteroid comes into view at a spectacular 12 FPS, the broken seams of the procedural generation glaringly visible, flickering in the night sky.

He exits the pilots chair and heads down the hallway to give orders to his crew. His crew consists of one Brazilian guy who speaks broken English. The carrier was built for a crew of 50, so this takes several minutes to traverse the empty halls and sleeping racks. The Commando clips through the door, the only way to enter the mining console room.

"We mine?" the Brazilian asks, but before our Commando can respond, his crewmates legs get stuck to the floor as he bounds over to the console.

"Wait, STOP!" our Commando yells, but it's too late.

Confused, the Brazilian keeps moving, stretching his legs out to an infinite value. His knees clip through the hull, now locked to a stationary point in space as the ship keeps moving.

The frames drop to single digits as the server tries to render the infinite fidelity of the leg hair.

At that moment, a second ship arrives and our Commando hears the familiar voice of Derek Smart - the only other player in the system - yelling over voice chat.

"You see, the server will crash now because of the poor coding. You should check out my blog post I wrote last month about the infinite kneeca...."

*SERVER CRASH*

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

April Set 4

trucutru posted:

The way they have been delivering "features" for years. They promise something grand, deliver the most bare-bones implementation of it and then pretty much forget about them, only adding some minor tweaks so that backers think the grand vision is still on its way.

Every single module with the exception on the PU and ships, ships, ships! has been like his.

Racing: It was supposed to get more tracks and stuff, nothing has been added since version 1.0.
Hangar: You were supposed to be able to visit other hangars, nothing has been added since version 1.0.
Star Marine: There are a billion unimplemented features, nothing has been added since version 1.0.
Arcorp social: A lot of shops, AI and the like were supposed to appear here, nothing has been added since version 1.0.
Arena Commander: More maps, lots of features missing, nothing has been added since version 1.0.
Tutorial: It was useless, nothing has been ad... no wait, this one was removed. :lol:

Somehow I have the suspicion that Mining will behave in the same way.

Why has this sub turned into screenshot central? I remember a time when the front page was mostly content/interesting threads now it's merely a place that people post in-game screenshots…

Scruffpuff posted:

Star Citizen isn't "the bad game" - it's a scam that targets the mentally handicapped. People who are working on it are complicit in stealing money from those people, and them losing their jobs is the least they deserve. Losing a job is also not equivalent to ruining a life, although their life choices in targeting the disabled makes their lives already pretty much trash.

Scruffpuff posted:

It's rather bone-headed at its root to do almost anything in a game for "fidelity" reasons. The essence of video gaming, at its root, is abstraction. You need to abstract away as much of the drudgery of an experience as possible to get to the essence of what's fun. Every day your brain edits out the poo poo it didn't care to remember, and commits to memory the cool stuff. You might remember a good sandwich you ate, but you don't remember unbagging it or what you did with the receipt. You might remember an explosive bout of diarrhea if you ate something bad or if you're Ben, but you don't remember swapping out a new roll on the holder.

A good game designer knows which parts need to be kept, and which will be forgotten. Having boring details doesn't, contrary to sperg opinion, make the game "more immersive" because the brain determines immersion based on its engagement with memorable sequences, not on how much real-life forgettable bullshit was crowbarred into the experience. The fewer excuses your brain has to get bored, the more immersive the game.

Chris Roberts isn't a bad game designer: he's not a game designer at all. He's devoid of all meaningful qualifications, so he foregoes knowledge and ability, and in their place he substitutes an almost pathological focus on the wrong parts of gaming, and of life in general. It reminds me of someone crippled by OCD, people that have to touch every pole they walk past, or not step on any cracks, or turn their plate around 3 times before eating. Chris is turning something that normally requires medication into a video game, and referring to that unhealthy focus as "vision."

Scruffpuff posted:

With Derek gone I have to quote myself to keep things real.

Example of an "immersive" game:

- You realize it's 2:00 am when you intended to stop playing at 9:00 pm - where did the time go?
- Your heart rate synchronizes, rising and falling, with the action on the screen
- When you stop playing you find yourself remembering some of what you did later on, memories sometimes lasting years
- In a horror game you have to actually stop playing because you're too stressed, and/or you can't play in the dark due to fear overload

Example of a "non-immersive" game:

- Excessively long loading times leading you to do something else while waiting
- Excessive travel times leading you to do something else while waiting
- Excessive inventory management and/or clumsy inventory management
- Unnecessarily confusing UI
- Unnecessarily confusing keybindings requiring constant reference checks
- Excessive use of canned animations that take control away from your character, pulling you out of the game completely
- Excessive camera angle changes between first/third person to give illusion of "cinematic" experience instead of player-centric

Guess which one Star Citizen is? poo poo, it's practically a definitive checklist of what immersion isn't.

IcarusUpHigh posted:

Frontier raised 1.5 million buckeroos, and low and behold they now have 3 IPs all doing very very well. I for one am very excited about the upcoming Jurassic World game.

Meanwhile, CIG have raised upwards of 180 million dollars on one IP, and only have this poo poo heap to show for it. And the fans are happy. The fans are proud of this game and proud of this company and proud of this guy Crobbear at the top.

It absolutely boggles the mind. BOGGLES I tell you.

Virtual Captain posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/MoralAggressivePangolinFutureMan
https://clips.twitch.tv/VibrantFuriousVanillaDansGame "Why do I feel like we're getting bamboozled these days, a lot of flash and no substance" :ironicat::ironicat::ironicat:

Virtual Captain posted:

Heresy detected amongst the ranks.

Virtual Captain posted:

quote:

Alpha Patch 3.1.2c has been released and is now available!
Arena Commander and Star Marine will be off for the first part of this patch. We would like everyone to focus heavily on PU gameplay to stress the servers as much as possible.
They turned off Star Marine and Arena Commander :laffo::laffo::laffo:

Drunk Theory posted:

Remember when the plan was to have these separate modules and then stitch them together seamlessly. Lol.

Daztek posted:

Let's talk about how good star citizen is, I'll begin:

So. While this could upset people i think its just effing amazing.

In 2016 i was at a bar citizen CR attended, and i asked him about how many were involved, how long, and what it took to get the idris in play. So, get this, approx 4 - 6 people were working on this in various stages for 2 years. Not including the special effects , sound etc.

Thats 5 people, assuming 2080 hrs per year, 20800 man hours of work for just the blockouts, and design to get to a point sq42 mission design aboard the idris can begin. Armchair math of 75k per dev (after benefits) , the idris cost 375k to design.

Realistically, 500k went into dev of this ship. Thats just too loving cool.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
I dunno how i have survived a whole week without this
Thanks for the effortpost

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
You saved me from having to read 11,000 posts to catch up. Thabk you so, so much.

Edit: was going to fix my spelling error but since it’s a star citizen thread, I’m gonna leave it there. Fidelity!

Frank_Leroux
Mar 24, 2018

best bale posted:

You saved me from having to read 11,000 posts to catch up. Thabk you so, so much.

Edit: was going to fix my spelling error but since it’s a star citizen thread, I’m gonna leave it there. Fidelity!

In ancient Sumerian, 'Thabk you' is similar to 'Thank you' but also carries with it the implied offer of sexual favors. I'm sure Virtual Captain will be stopping by to collect any moment now.

This information is brought to you courtesy of Facts I Just Pulled Out Of My rear end

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

April Set 5

Quavers posted:

Own your own Star Citizen™ crate!

:reddit posted:

It's a bit weird all their product description shows pics of renders, and not the actual product.

Like they never made them before.

:ironicat:

Beet_Wagon posted:

Whichever one of you buys the $3k Star Citizen themed desk first, please make sure to post pictures of it so the rest of us can laugh.

quote:

Yeah, let's laugh at the people wanting cool and unique things! Why should they have fun? I'm certainly not having fun!

quote:

Do you have a hobby? Please post pics so we can mock you for it.

Beet_Wagon posted:

My hobby is "not spending $3,000 on a themed merchandise for a video game that isn't even out yet" so I'm not really sure how to post a picture of that.

They NEED to make more and more money. They employ well over 400 people making this game that WE told them we would pay for.
I'm trying to understand how they're the bad guy here when they:
Allow us to play the game before it's done
Allow us to CHOOSE which items (mostly ships) we get to play with in the Alpha
Allow us huge leeway in melting and re-purchasing ships so we can test most of them out
Allow us access to their project management roadmap
Allow us to give them feedback all over all the social media things
Produce weekly updates 3-4 times a week keeping us updated on their progress

Nyast posted:

One thing most people don't realize is that whales are fed up too. And I'm not talking about a minority of them. However, they keep funding because at this point they're too engaged to stop. It's similar to watching a movie, and one hour in you realize it's a crappy one and you've wasted your time. Should you stop ? Definitely. But there's a little voice inside your head that tells you, "well, since I've already wasted my time, might as well go until the end". And you watch the whole thing.

Scruffpuff posted:

The 100 series* benefits from having an Fuel Intake** and Refinery***, allowing them to process more types of gas**** than other ships in their class*****. In addition, the default equipped****** Fuel Intake******* is of a higher grade******** (B vs C) than is standard*********. The 100 series also has a bespoke Refinery that can harvest********** a wider variety of gases than comparable systems at that price point***********

Out of all the starter ships, the 100 series is intended to be the most fuel efficient************. Thanks to the AIR system************* it achieves this goal through a combination of its naturally efficient thrusters**************, a higher quality Fuel Intake, and the wider range of gases it can refill from via its Refinery.

* 100 series does not exist
** Fuel intake does not exist and mechanic is not yet designed
*** Refinery does not exist and mechanic is not yet designed
**** There are not multiple types of gas, or even one type of gas, and mechanic is not yet designed
***** Other ships in their class do not exist
****** Equipment does not exist
******* Fuel Intake does not exist and mechanic is not yet designed
******** Multiple grades of fuel intakes do not exist and mechanic is not yet designed
********* There is no standard fuel intake and mechanic is not yet designed
********** Harvesting does not exist and mechanic is not yet designed
*********** In-game economy does not exist and mechanic is not yet designed
************ Fuel-efficiency mechanics are non-functional
************* AIR system does not exist and mechanic is not yet designed
************** Thrusters are not yet functional as promised

G0RF posted:

Scruffpuff posted:

It's that same stench of "presumed success" that surrounds everything Chris Roberts puts his grubby hands on. Motion capture before you have a functioning engine or even an idea for a game. Paying for theater time for Last Jedi then being unable to deliver your epic game trailer on time. Now this. This motherfucker has learned literally nothing during his journey through life - his backers, somewhat less.
It’s true; this is a guy who always always always presumes success despite a track record so littered with unforced errors, fantastic humiliations and some of the most epic self-owns in gaming history. All of those facts get rejected as data; either because they’re deemed meaningless or some other idiot’s fault...

I mean this is a guy who actually wanted this moment included in a documentary about how he failed to deliver a vertical slice for a real (very late) game even while he triumphed at delivering a pseudo-slice of a fictive one. I’ve watched this doc several times and that part never fails to make me laugh because it really does capture Chris in his purest form, just as the full work shows the dysfunctions of CIG. The whole thing is a glorious celebration of the autocratic work culture with a delusional tinpot dictator at the helm. The misallocations and crunching of developer talent are point of pride. The obliviousness to the absolute wrongness of the culture and priorities are front and center. The hilarious treacle, the emotional manipulation of fans, the attempts to excuse that which should be apologized for, it’s all there and all points back to just how much Chris and Sandi have bent the culture to accommodate their own vanity and dysfunction... it must be done because they’re too warped to bend themselves to be better leaders.

You could see from CR’s last Reverse the Verse just how little he’s willing to change. He admits while laughing if Erin wasn’t already on a plane back to the UK Chris would’ve put him in the hot seat for the hour... He speaks of the need to earn back trust yet has never and will never admit it was HE more than all others combined who abused it. He blames backer for their entitlement (“I want more, I want more!”) when they didn’t ask for more, he promised them more and delivered much much less a year later.

Why, when faced with years worth of contrary data, would he presume success and “Keep doing what he’s doing”? Because he really truly believes he IS success and failure isn’t found in him, just around and below him. And that is why, no matter what the future holds, he IS a failure by any measures that truly matter.

All the haters, goons, ds cronies couldn't do it - but CIG sure did themselves.
My faith is on empty.

I'm not saying I'm getting a refund - but I'm sure as hell canceling my subscription and stopping any further funding until we get a clear answer as to direction. 1 strike left.

Don't get me wrong - LTI isn't important, we know you can get your $ purchased ship back by contacting CS - that's not the issue.

It's how CIG keeps flip flopping on it and sends mixed messages, straight up contradicting information.

As a "whale" I'm fed up. Huge fan, loved every CR game (hell privateer is my favorite game of all time), but CIG you've made me question your ethics.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

That's a loving dude! hang on.....zoom and enhance BEEP BLOOP BOOP! that's derek loving smart!

Bofast posted:

Star Citizen: 40 GB of RAM, but only 40 KB of gameplay

G0RF posted:

Its easy for me to see Roberts dialing further and further back on what he tries to deliver than failing to deliver anything, and he would continue to reframe the (d)evolving deliverable in such a way that his devotees will accept every last betrayal of every prior claim and this will leave a lot of the core faithful “satisfied” that he’s delivered both the BDSSE and the true successor to Wing Commander. If he can’t get 100 players in an instance, or 50 or 30 without stutterthons ensuing, he’ll call it a massive micro-multiplayer experience and talk about how he wanted smaller scale social experiences so that people could really cherish the intimacy not afforded by a more crowded, less personal multiplayer realm.

If Star Citizen launches in 2019 with 2 Star Systems, more bugs than Starship Troopers, with boring mechanics, an inert economy, with 95% of one’s playtime spent traveling on foot or in space to get somewhere to do some boring chore yet it has beautiful spaceships and places to land them (and even a place to call HOME), they will marvel that any game could ever be so beautiful, delight in their mundane activities and grind their way to nicer weapons/flair/clothing/housing and feel boundless gratitude for the chance to have done it. (Batgirl does this now with far less.)

If Squadron 42 has garbage FPS, lousy flight mechanics, and bad enemy AI all contributing to a passive but beautiful branched narrative movie that lands an IGN 4/10 but still gives you A CHANCE TO EARN YOUR GRUFF FATHER FIGURE’S LOVE BEFORE THE BITTERSWEET END, they will weep like children at the family dog’s death and declare it was worth it, every last penny they spent and every endless year they waited.

The Batgirls, Errises, Lesnicks and other cheesemongers disinterested in satisfying gameplay experiences (and a LOT of the core faithful still hanging on do not care about gameplay at all hence their indifference to criticisms about its absence) will simply enjoy the scenery and that part of it they “own”, and party up with friends who also love looking at games more than playing them. They will engage in gameplay of their own invention and be delighted by it. They want what they think is Second Life in space (the Fidelitous version) and I imagine Roberts can at least deliver something in that spirit someday.

I don’t think failure to deliver great games would matter. A beautiful collection of assets and environments tied together with primitive mechanics and some social tools will satisfy the far-goners and a lot of the whales still spending are exactly that. Ben Lesnick was exactly that, worshipping Chris for a string of games that haven’t aged nearly so well as some of their brethren because they were great more for their timing and machine demands than for anything else. Nobody fires up Wing Commander 1, 2, 3 or 4 for their replay value yet there are titles that look far more primitive that came before and after that I still can play with a smile on my face. They’re still great games.

Maybe the soft landing won’t happen and there will come a time when blame must be redirected towards an Enemy. Derek will happily savor that moment if it comes. But at that point, the narratives everywhere else will be assigned to Roberts above all others. There has been too much money raised, too much time spent, too many mistakes acknowledged, too much wasted opportunity — and all of it during years spent with Roberts crowing “Me! Me! Me!” for him to credibly name anyone other than himself should that happen.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Virtual Captain update morning is the best kind of morning.

spaztaz
Jan 28, 2009
Thank you for the update. I've given up on the main thread so your hard work is very much appreciated.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

April Set 6
==Court Case crawls along==
Previously… CIG filed for a protective order. Basically asking to be shielded from the burden of discovery until the court decided on their motion to dismiss. Most of this was too boring for the Recap thread. tldr; “please God don’t let them see how much money we have left”
CryTek responded with x,y,z reasons why such an order should not be put in place. Some of that was funny.
Document: http://docdro.id/oxLxMkt

Virtual Captain posted:

:gary: Remarkably, Defendants rely on two cases where motions to stay discovery were denied :yarg:

Crytek’s outstanding discovery requests, and to the extent that Defendants have genuine disputes over particular requests, they should meet and confer with Crytek and otherwise comply with Local Rules 7-3, 37-1, and 37-2 before seeking the Court’s assistance in resolving those particularized disputes

As Defendants are well aware, that is how discovery ordinarily proceeds in this Court, and for good reason. Instead, Defendants have showered the Court with multiple pages of criticisms and complaints about the scope of Crytek’s discovery requests.

Crytek respectfully submits that Defendants’ barrage of ad hoc criticisms does not present the Court with any manageable method of resolving any genuine disputes that Defendants might purport to have with Crytek’s discovery requests, and it should be disregarded.
Anyways April 17th the Judge heard an oral argument of some kind and denied the protective order.
“it is advisable for counsel to begin to conduct discovery actively before the Scheduling Conference.” Although early discovery is strongly encouraged, Judge Gee’s policy is not to require the parties to participate in discovery until a scheduling order has issued.

The motion for stay, therefore, is moot and denied on that basis."

Document: http://docdro.id/tx3rLrT

Agony Aunt posted:

So... both parties are advised to start active discovery, but defendents (CIG) are not required to respond to discovery until the scheduling order is issued so the request to deny (from CIG) is denied because it is irrelevant anyway?

Daztek posted:

Pretty much yeah afaik, the protective order was a big waste of time for everyone :v:

CrazyTolradi posted:

Much like Star Citizen's development.

==Back to the good stuff==

ColonoscopyExp posted:

I have kind of a bone to pick with some of you in this thread who actually feel bad for anyone that works there. CR and the management gang rightfully get the bulk of the scorn but I think some of you are missing a big part of the picture. This isn't Madoff and a few buds setting up some investment ponzi scheme, this is more akin to a large office building running phishing scams out of India/Florida. A lot of people are involved.

Even the lowliest dev knows what the score is. They know they can't deliver even 1/4 of what Cr promised. They probably justify it to themselves by thinking that they aren't the ones who made the promises.

But they are scum for multiple reasons (not every employee fits every one of these reasons but if you fall into even 1 you are morally culpable)

1. They stay at their job even though they know the game is unable to be delivered even remotely close to as promised. Their entire paycheck is derived from scam money gained under false pretenses. They are aware of this in 2018.
2. They stay at their job even though they are incapable of delivering what their bosses ask. (probably no one is with CRs insane demands but the point stands, its unethical to take money for a job you know you cant do)
3. Many show up on ATVs, streams, etc to perpetuate the scam.

To all the devs at CIG, get a real job. And if you whine that you can't get a job in the games industry, maybe it isn't for you. Because technically speaking you aren't in the games industry right now. You are in the scam/MLM industry. If you whine that you need the money. That doesn't give you the right to take it from others, often mentally ill, under false pretenses. You are scum. If you stayed for an additional 2 weeks after realizing it was a scam. You are scum.

I know it seems harsh but its 2018. Everyone is fully aware of what the score is. I'd love to get some feedback and a cogent explanation from someone in here on why the even lowly QA person at CIG is somehow not a scammer. Without all those employees Chris wouldn't have been able to scam even a small percentage of what was raised. The concept art, PU, etc is what brings in money for the scam on an ongoing basis. They are what makes this possible.

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm not sure you're fully realizing how stupid the people left working for Chris Roberts are. I mean the word "realize" in its most pure sense - an all-encompassing embrace of the sickening truths of just how hosed in the head the remaining employees are. Remember that the competent people bled out of this company over the years as they were exposed to Chris's legendary stupidity and ineptitude. Some of the remaining employees absolutely believe they're making a game. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that a good number of their employees are victims of the scam themselves. An easy test to this theory is to go find an Amway salesman (protip: do not follow this advice) and ask them if they're aware that they're part of a MLM scheme. Good luck. Then explain to them that they're guilty of perpetuating the scam. Good luck on that front too, but I doubt you'll be able to feel the warm glow of presumed superiority as they stare uncomprehendingly back at you, only to reach into their trunk earnestly because they're pretty sure the only reason you're mad is because you just don't get how awesome this particular cleaning product is.

CIG is a scam company made of two distinct elements: complicit scammers who are worthy of scorn, and brainwashed cult members who are as convinced the game can be made as the remaining backers. The cult members aren't going to twirl their moustaches when CIG closes down and say "...and we had a good thing going, too..." - they're going to be wandering the streets in a daze not understanding what went wrong.

Toops posted:

Here’s my loving white-hot take: Crytek wants to protect their brand. CIG is making CryEngine look terrible. Now, it kind of is terrible, but not CIG-terrible. Thing is, Crytek knows good and drat well how bad the dev situation is at CIG. Remember, CIG poached a lot of Crytek’s senior talent, and many of them have since left CIG. Programmers talk mad poo poo, and word gets around. The Crytek leavers have no doubt kept in touch with their brothers-and-sisters-in-arms. As a result, it’s guaranteed Crytek knows all about the Barnum & Bailey’s Goat-gently caress Circus at CIG.

On the other side, you have a team of lawyers and senior leaders leashed hard by the unprecedented narcissism of Chris Robert, Chief Illusion Officer at Cloud Delusion Games. He tells them what to do and say and if they don’t, fires them. Chris honestly believes the lawsuit has no merit. He gunuinely knows in his tiny, hollow heart that the way he treats people is justified.

The only solution to this gaping blemish on the industry is to take all of CIG’s money and ostracize Chris Roberts back into shameful wandering obscurity where he belongs, with a scarlet letter “C” tatooed backwards on his forehead so that every time he looks in the mirror to fix his toupee he will be once again reminded that that he’s a loving charlatan, and everybody knows it.

G0RF posted:

REDACTED: CIG dev says they don’t ‘want to make money’, they ‘need to sustain sufficient revenue.’

Matt Sherman, one of the twitch mods for Redacted (oh, and uh, CIG developer), earlier today in chat pushed back against Twerk’s characterization about their desire to keep making money via ship sales post release:

SHERMAN: “It’s not a ‘want to make money’, it’s a need to sustain a sufficient revenue stream.”

Oh right. Because $185 million for the $6 million crowdfunding campaign is nowhere near enough for CHRIS’S VISION.

But wait, what was that Chris said last year?
Chris Roberts: ”First of all, we always have a decent amount of money in reserve, so if all support would collapse, we would not suddenly be incapacitated. We plan the scope of the development based on what arrives monthly by the people to support. I’m not worried, because even if no money came in, we would have sufficient funds to complete Squadron 42. The revenue from this could in-turn be used for the completion of Star Citizen.”

Sounds like you don’t really need anything, Matt, because Chris has been such a pragmatic steward of funds that he’s got a fallback plan that should cover expenses until Squadron comes out and makes hundreds of millions to keep funding Star Citizen.

Right?

:argh::argh::argh:

I have to say, its a pretty bad look to see developers popping in to Twitch streams, rejecting that greed has anything to do with Chris’s motives, then trying to preemptively justify continuing compulsive cash consumption because the organization NEEDS it to survive. I mean, we all know it’s true but come ON man, there’s no way it doesn’t read terribly when devs are out there trying to act like CIG can’t do anything else, isn’t greedy just needy due to GAME DEVELOPMENT.

It’s not the backers fault that Chris lives hand to mouth with the largest consumer funded gaming budget in history — it’s Chris’s. Nobody forced him to grow to 500 employees, or take on new debts, or waste money on subcontractors for years and throw their work away, or cast everybody from Scully to Superman in his Magnus Opus Wing Commander FMV.

I get that Chris has to defend all this stupidity but having CiG LA devs spouting this off in a twitch stream for posterity’s sake just shows how powerful the CIG LA distortion field still is even today. It’s embarrassing and you should stop doing it Sherman because it sounds absolutely insane and the attempts to mask rapacious greed behind some sympathetic NEED is 100% lunacy and will be seen that way everywhere reasonable people gather to discuss the gaming world.

Beet Wagon posted:

the line between sincere paranoia/frothy-mouthed-zealotry and people making fun of that paranoia/frothy-mouthed-zealotry is basically nonexistent.

I hate to pull the “thread culture :smuggo:” card, but in this case I think it might be accurate. There are people who look at CIGs predatory tactics and scream scam and there are others who look at it and scream incompetence. All these same people have been hearing “they finally got the pipelines up and running!” for like five drat years now so the gut reaction is basically to laugh at people who say it at this point.

https://www.reddit.com/r/quityourbullshit/comments/4ncg4v/video_game_company_fails_at_removing_watermark/d432ofp/
I have a coworker who put thousands of dollars into this game and spends all day posting on the Internet about what a great game it is. He got in a fight with my boss when he barely implied that it might not be everything he said. A couple days ago I saw him crying at his desk.

I've been here since the beginning. So many years ago I saw a dream and since then I have come and gone, my faith slowly fading as I saw so much time slip by with no meaningful improvements. I came back a few weeks ago and was unimpressed, but tonight, after our server crashed, a friend and I reconnected to quite a surprise. It was smooth. We had grown used to slow and stuttering pace that made controlling anything a nightmare, but this was exceptional.
All the technologies growing in the background could now be appreciated. All the work put into the ships and planets could now be seen clearly. This is something we want to come back to. This is something we have trouble putting down. This is something we can show to others without burying it in explanations and apologies.
Thank you for everything you have made thus far. Thank you for everything you have planned. If you can keep this pace, the dream will be real soon enough.

quote:

I come here just to witness your insanity. You are all insane. You over spent on something without understanding it (let's face it - few people are here for only $45). That is the number one thing you all have in common - giving your money away without taking the time to understand the terms is your own fault, and instead of assuming the blame like adults should, you redirect the blame and look for a fight instead.
You try to reclaim the money you pledged, money you were warned was going to an uncertain cause thinking that CIG is your own personal piggy bank that you could always escape from when you got scared.
You know nothing (nor do you care to understand) about game development and how long it actually takes, and how even large established studios face trials and tribulations and even project cancellations when things get really bad.
You created this ridiculous support group that you come back to even long AFTER getting refunded - it's ludicrous!
Get a life, all of you, and stop trying to ruin SC for the rest of us. Your litigation will fail because the game IS being built and product IS being deliver, even if you deem it too slow. The law is not on your side, because no crime is actually being committed. You're too weak to admit your fault, but you think you're strong enough to fight instead? C'mon, just do what normal people who want out do and sell your RSI at 70% on the gray market, get most of yor money back and move on with your lives.
Stop being low level SJW's fighting a crowd funded video game when there are real evils in the world you ignore. Indeed, we live in a sad world, and you are all part of the problem.

Quavers posted:

Citizens Haven't Played A New Game For 20 Years - Exhibit 3.1.3 alpha 5

note that the new shopping kiosk has a side-by-side comparison of two items and their statistics. games (and even real stores) don't usually have that. it's rare to see such power outside of community-made tools. let's hope they actually punch the pumpkin and deliver all the statistics we need

I joined the community in November 2017 and I'm 3k

If you're worried that this project will run out of money before it's done, don't worry. At this point so much work is done that it won't entirely fail, some established company will buy it and complete it (even if it has half of expected content it will be the best Goddamn space sim by far and worth the investment).

G0RF posted:

Wise Learned Man posted:

What other game has stuff like buyer's remorse threads or overspenders support groups (as on the pre-spectrum CIG forums)? I'm struggling to come up with another example. I'm sure there are a bunch of people out there with the gambling gene who blew way too much cash on lovely p2w mobile games, but SC seems different because there's no payoff and no real competitive aspect. Or do they get a dopamine hit from buying an item they can't even see a render of, let alone use in an actual, functioning game?
Not a lot of games have the mind of buyer’s remorse that can destroy marriages and lead to personal bankruptcy, but Chris has always been a trailblazer.

Scruffpuff posted:

Dev1: "Hey, I have a great idea for this mechanic, what if..."
Dev2: "We can't do that, it's not what we sold"
Dev1: "What about this idea?"
Dev2: "Sorry we already sold a ship for that too. We are tied down as to what we can make."
Dev1: "Thank god our creative freedom isn't constrained by publishers!"

Scruffpuff posted:

Although there are a few smug assholes who like to tout the line that people are pissed because they're "risk-averse", the reality is that nearly everyone who backed knew there was a risk of non-delivery. That was never in question - I always knew my own money could be gone with nothing to show. What I didn't expect, like you outlined, was the incredible ineptitude and dishonesty as this sham of a project devolved.

Frank_Leroux
Mar 24, 2018

Virtual Captain, let me add my own thanks to you for doing the voodoo that you do so well.

I just listened to the latest ARG podcast, and my only question is..who was it that didn't know that Mirificus was a bot? Was it DapperDon or Beet? I couldn't quite tell amidst all of the laughter.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

El Grillo posted:

...keep postin', VC

:waycool:

If someone wants a non-cropped version of my avatar, this is the best I have:

==Some other thread updates==
I am not updating the OP with individual posts at the moment because it is getting big enough to error out. I'll try to find a new home for it somewhere that supports RSS.

We have been recording a podcast every week or so. I call it the Star Citizen ARGcast

[S01E01] Sell me your blood Chris Roberts - 1h26m (Guests: Beet Wagon)
YouTube || Anchor

[S01E02] Rofflestomp - 1h8m (Guests: Bootcha, Tippis)
YouTube || Anchor

[S01E03] Mistakes Compounding - 2h45m (Guests: Bootcha, Galarox)
YouTube || 💩Anchor💩

[S01E04] Going in WAY deeper - 57m (Guests: Bootcha, Beet Wagon, Dapper Don)
YouTube || Anchor

[S01E05] POTATO - 1h9m (Guests: Bootcha, Beet Wagon, Dapper Don)
YouTube || Anchor

Here are all the places you can subscribe on your cellular device: ( Some of these may append an ad at the end? :hmmyes: Free hosting tho )
RSS: https://anchor.fm/s/31ef7f0/podcast/rss
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/star-citizen-argcast/id1368037794
Pocket Casts: http://pca.st/bb92

:siren: The schedule if you wanna be on the show is Saturday (3:00 EST) and Tuesday (6:30 EST), friend me somehow on discord. :siren:
If you can make a better into/outro song, I want it.

Frank_Leroux posted:

Virtual Captain, let me add my own thanks to you for doing the voodoo that you do so well.

I just listened to the latest ARG podcast, and my only question is..who was it that didn't know that Mirificus was a bot? Was it DapperDon or Beet? I couldn't quite tell amidst all of the laughter.

Dapper Don was laughing. Beet and I both maintain that Mirificus is a bot.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

These updates are fantastic.

Also I would like to remind everyone that the most recent title that Chris Roberts worked on shipped in 2003, 2 years after he was fired from the project.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

April Set 7
==Mining sneak peek==
CIG showed their first attempt at mining off on one of their youtube shows.
For those that don’t remember, here is their original “Design Notes” on mining circa Feb 2015: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14522-Design-Notes-Mining
There they describe 3 or 4 players all working in harmony to carefully chip away at a voxel asteroid.

What they showed looked like this:

3:00 to see it in action on youtube

Draw your own conclusions. Here’s mine: They don’t have a prayer of coding what they dreamed up so they’re doing WoW style mining + floaty physics rocks.

Let’s see what the backers think:

That rock heating laser is the best mining example i ever scene in any game so far. Very satisfying to watch

I really like the sound effects on the rock drill - looks like they're trying to actually get it right and make it interesting rather than an overly simple first pass/complete mechanic.

now THAT was way cooler than I expected.

or maybe I should have expected it to be cool seeing as it is CIG

It looks amazing already for a prototype.

==Back to :justpost:==

G0RF posted:

For years, YEARS they’ve been talking about the work underway on Mining gameplay.

This is Chris in 2013! talking about the plans. The skill required, the gameplay envisioned, vowel tech, etc.

ATV showed nothing resembling gameplay, unless holding a button down constitutes it. It looks like they’re racing just to get the audiovisual elements that Chris no doubt fussed endlessly about integrated into the PU. But at least from what they showed, it feels like something thrown together in flash to check a box...

“I’m not against the Mining thing you talked about, Hannes, I mean if that can work. I just want to sell the narrative...”

The Titanic posted:

You will not get the game that's been promised. Your constant "omg it's already better than 10 AAA games!" has nullified any chances of CIG trying to self improve themselves because they are going down a bad path of decisions. It's way too late to turn now and you'll never get the dream. If you were critical 5 years ago instead of scaring everybody into being quiet, you'd probably be on a better track today because aches would have recognized (loving maybe) that there was a problem.

Even now, right in front of your faces, they are spending all their money and time on Sq42, not Star Citizen. This is right from Erin too. And after they finish Part 1 of Sq42, they immediately start of Part 2 of Sq42. Guess where that leaves the game you actually have spent thousands on? Maintenance mode as it's been for a while now, minimal to no progress.

But the super awesome part is that CIG gets to market lies and nobody is going to speak up or shout them down effectively. CIG says "live your life in our fully featured game!" and crazies jump to say "I'm doing it now look at these screenshots of ships!"

CIG currently has a great thing going for them, outside of that lawsuit. They can put out crap and their people will love it and beg for second helpings of more crap and tell the world how awesome this crap is.

But that probably cost them a pretty penny in subversive internet marketing to get there. I'm not sure who is real and who is just being paid by a marketing company to make a billion posts of support/shoot down nay sayers. We'll probably never know the truth there.

G0RF posted:

YOUTUBE: “Why I Hate Star Citizen Haters”

By the latter portion, he is once again apologizing for going a little too far in his past editorial videos with his “opinion journalism” (i.e. babbling). He really wants to make it clear HE is not a Hater and he won’t ever give anyone cause to doubt his faith in the game. (Unless you count the inclusion of 10 frame per second gameplay footage in his videos, which you shouldn’t because HE BELIEVES...)

Nyast posted:

Hav posted:

The fallout over NMS is going to be a storm in a teacup compared with the fallout here.
Unfortunately I do not think so. The difference is that NMS built a lot of hype, but nobody had played it until the release day. So there was no visible red herring that something was off.. until it was in the hands of the players. Which shocked everybody.

SC is very controversial, but at least at any time, anybody can see the state it is currently in and adjust his expectations. It might be an utter disaster, but I do not think it'll be a shock for anybody.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Mining was always one of my specific gripes with this game so I'm glad to see they keep falling on their face in regards to it.

What they promised: Essentially a perfect simulation of what real space mining would be like, including picking up, manipulating and breaking down individual rocks with procedural resource nodes in a 4K resolution minecraft.

What they are struggling to demo after six years: A dumb golf swing mechanic taking the place of hitting spacebar near a spawned rock except there are four of them and that means it's extra complex and complexity = immersion right?

Gravity_Storm posted:

The new mining mechanic is basically cooking. Cooking rocks.

Scruffpuff posted:

B'tak on SPECTRUM posted:

What I would REALLY like to see, is an "in Space" refilling mechanics, not just for the Starfarer but also for the Vulcan as well as for any other Ship that will be capable to do in Space fuel refilling, that was:
1) - VERY DIFFICULT [...]
2) - With a very HIGH Risk [...]
3) - Extremely time consuming [...]
4) - Very HIGH costly [...]
B'Tak may be deeper into the lie than any other backer. Everything he proposes requires a Matrix-level recreation of reality, along with the intrinsic trait of all Star Citizen backers to not even understand reality either. It seems his biggest fear is someone playing the game a way he doesn't like, and his solution to that is always for the people in charge to construct artificial restraints to make sure it never happens.

I wonder if he's ever given more than a moment's thought as to what he is going to do in this game, or if his entire dream consists of watching everyone else.

The Titanic posted:

It's tough. Even if I bought a $200 ship every single week, that's not even one persons salary after deductions. And assuming I'm dumb enough to buy a $200 dollar ship every single week just because is equally stupid to assume from every single person.

My biggest thing about this project has always been the seemingly unanswered fact of where is the money coming from.

Sure we see those daily spikes (at least we used to) of somebody randomly buying that completionist package. But there was never any an associated post or new grand admiral guy or whatever they call themselves coming out to circle jerk themselves with it.

This free fly weekend tells a pretty good story. The twitch views tell a pretty good story. This thread probably has more people viewing it than people actively trying to play the game.

It doesn't, to me, look like nearly enough interest to be able to support even a single 10 person indie studio, much less a multinational corporeal with multiple locations and even greater than, let's say, 200 people and a bunch of outsource devs.

Where's the money coming in from? Hopefully CryTek will figure it out, I guess.

G0RF posted:

CIG is actively attempting to confuse the public / the press / the citizenry / their lenders with a story of continuing ascent. Roberts most recent letter welcoming the 2 millionth backer to the fold is a lie so lazily told only those completely and totally out of touch with reality or otherwise uninformed about the project would believe it.

We are in a nonsensical phase and lacking for the inputs to make sense of it. Bragging about the 2 millionth player when surely less than 1 million have ever thrown cash at CIG and most informed people know it is inexplicably nutty but part of this nonsense period.

CIG is behaving like a company far more concerned about cash than they ever were before. Refunds grinding to a near halt... Ship sales last longer and longer and get flacked now at the end of every ATV. The “if we get 200 retweets we’ll extend the Free Fly two more days” pleading felt desperate and pathetic. (200?!) Streamers are getting set up with monster rigs in a cross promotion for IBuyPower and CIG which puts the Shillery of SC Streaming front and center. CIG enters a licensing agreement with a guy who makes insanely expensive real life game-centric furniture which targets the whaliest of the whales yet and can’t possibly produce nearly the kind of income of a well-executed and affordable merchandise line would. (What’s the price to ship a handmade Star Citizen desk to another country?) We’ve got the big $350 a plate dinner in early May and if nothing else, that seems intended to prime their most devoted for exciting new purchasing opportunities in the months ahead.

We get glimpses of some crude approximation of strategic conversations going on between Chris and Erin. The most recent CR Reverse the Verse offered such a moment. We learn Erin was in LA and met with Chris that discussion apparently included “our game is unplayable not only at the networking level but the design level so there’s no engagement and no word of mouth that’s good”. It may have also included “our streamers are playing Sea of Thieves and having a drat blast and not playing Star Citizen and sometimes digging it.”

One presumes but can not be certain that the matter was perhaps of some urgency. Urgency at CIG is never determined by backer needs or wants, they’ve always been revenue centric in the priorities and looking at the various aforementioned bits of random cash fumbling efforts, their time horizon feels urgent indeed. So the Chris and Erin talk about improving the social aspects was more probably about fixing a broke down cash engine that even streamers and whales couldn’t recommend anymore.

There is still a real mystery as to money. The matter has never felt more confusing and inexplicable and the same tracker telling us they’ve raised $185 million is telling us they have 2 million backers when it’s actually 1 million. The Completionist purchases are equally suspect. Where are these new high rollers? Who are they? Are there new Orgs loading up for battle in a game that doesn’t support Org play? Are there new Mikus keeping much lower profiles but buying up fleets because “reasons”? Why?

We should assume manipulations and dishonesty because we can plainly see and prove they do it with player counts. If they’ve had sources as yet unaccounted for between backers and lenders, even those sources don’t seem to have endless largesse. CIG really feels like their hustling and digging under cushions and car seats for change. There’s an army at CIG now pushing Squadron through the digestive system even as they may not be able to pivot back to a retail release for it for legal & architectural reasons thus consigning it to be DLC for Star Citizen that one somehow plays within it yet not... (How they market that such that it can be the revenue producer they need it to be I have no idea, thank goodness they have a genius like Sandi there to make it all clear one day.)

It’s a very strange era and while I don’t assume it means doom, it does feel like they’ve foreclosed so many more promising possible futures in a money hunt coming down from a true demand peak some time past and probably manipulated invisibly to keep up appearances while CIG raced to get their new revenue systems in place. Squadron is one. Real estate seems like the other. Either one well executed WILL drive new purchasing but expecting expert execution on those fronts from a studio that hasn’t even set up a decent means for in-game communication and added Monocles to their Space Sim before Mining seems like a very risky bet.

G0RF posted:

REDDIT: 3.1.3 is out, Roadmap updates 24/7 yet we don’t have the new weapons

“I love the Devs and all the people working on the project but...”

It’s okay, man. It’s okay... Yes, they checked the box as complete and yet you can’t find them in the game. Yes, that’s confusing and deceptive. But it’s okay...

They lied about releasing a Squadron Roadmap, too...

The backer “3.2 feature poll” was just a gaslighting exercise to create the illusion of backer-driven development priorities. (And no, this isn’t goon :tinfoil:, loyal streamer Mitauchi said the very same last night...) In reality, Chris was just using it to further reduce scope on an already reduced scope and he wanted a means to make the community go Lord of the Flies on itself not him for the downsizing later...

The Roadmap is there to make you think it’s there, think it really matters, and think you can have some impact on shaping it. When it’s right you’ll be so grateful for the improved communication effort on CIG’s part. When it’s wrong, it’s your fault because “you don’t understand game development” and “it’s Alpha!”

But it’s okay, man. It’s okay...

lalaland posted:

CIG is sitting on a list with thousands of whales, the absolute apex of Dumb Motherfuckers™ with more money than sense, which must be worth an astronomical amount of cash.

Once in a while they dangle that list in front of a marketing department of a big company and watch them poo poo money

This will go on forever and no Internet warlord, renowned international law firm or band of evil goonies can stop them because they are riding a wave of human stupidity and greed and that we have in endless supply

==CIG buys new PCs for at least two streamers==
https://twitter.com/wtfosaurus/status/987729996025217024
https://twitter.com/RichardOnTwitch/status/987543992907726849

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Are the streamers really going to deny being paid by CIG when they all mysteriously get brand new Optane systems simultaneously.

Also why would they need so much advertisement all of a sudden :thunk:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
And lo the heavens did open, and star citizen posts did rain upon them, and they were sore afraid.

(thanks for including the legal stuff, it's one of the craziest parts of this whole neverending fiasco)

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

Virtual Captain posted:

We have been recording a podcast every week or so. I call it the Star Citizen ARGcast

[S01E01] Sell me your blood Chris Roberts - 1h26m (Guests: Beet Wagon)
YouTube || Anchor

[S01E02] Rofflestomp - 1h8m (Guests: Bootcha, Tippis)
YouTube || Anchor

[S01E03] Mistakes Compounding - 2h45m (Guests: Bootcha, Galarox)
YouTube || 💩Anchor💩

[S01E04] Going in WAY deeper - 57m (Guests: Bootcha, Beet Wagon, Dapper Don)
YouTube || Anchor

[S01E05] POTATO - 1h9m (Guests: Bootcha, Beet Wagon, Dapper Don)
YouTube || Anchor

Here are all the places you can subscribe on your cellular device: ( Some of these may append an ad at the end? :hmmyes: Free hosting tho )
RSS: https://anchor.fm/s/31ef7f0/podcast/rss
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/star-citizen-argcast/id1368037794
Pocket Casts: http://pca.st/bb92

Sir you have made my everyday commuting better than going to the movies

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
You know, for all the poo poo that CIG (deservedly) gets, you gotta wonder, in a thread of thousands of posts, why are only a few are worth reading. Are goons just as bad as CIG? we may never know!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lechtansi posted:

You know, for all the poo poo that CIG (deservedly) gets, you gotta wonder, in a thread of thousands of posts, why are only a few are worth reading. Are goons just as bad as CIG? we may never know!

Why are goons so loving negative all the God damned time? Have you ever thought that maybe we're as GOOD as Star Citizen, you little punk?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lechtansi posted:

We're currently operating a much higher efficiency than CiG at content production due to our low operating costs, and have already abandoned two games while they fail to close down a single one. Admittedly a large amount of our output is 'homage du', but any second it's going to all come together.