Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

pissdude posted:

i've been using chromecasts literally since day 1

I've had this issue across three different phones (Nexus 6P, Pixel, Pixel 2) and a tablet (Nexus 7 on stock 6.0 and on LineageOS), with a 1st and now 3rd gen CC, with 3 different routers, so its not a single, specific issue causing it. I had it most often with Netflix, though that is what I use the most with mine. The Netflix app would lose connection control-wise, though the Google Cast/Home app would always be able to pause. I've had a Harmony Hub for just about the same length of time as the Chromecast, and that has usually been able to control the CC directly via HDMI CEC.

It hasn't happened anywhere near as frequently for me lately, but it still frustrates the hell outta me when it does because of how opaque the failure still is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Mu Zeta posted:

My G5 was $300. Also, the Nokia 6 is on the Android One program so doesn't that mean updates in step with Google's?

My android one phone is about two weeks behind on updates so far, no idea how long they'll keep releasing them though.

Personally I hope more manufacturers produce usb c headphones instead, but people will probably keep raging over that headphone jack either way.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Do the USB-c adapters work with stuff like square readers? That's a pretty critical use case for the jack.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

axeil posted:

I own wireless headphones. They suck and are constantly cutting in and out and require me to charge yet another device. They're useful but are not a substitute for a wired connection and don't provide any noticeable increase in quality. That manufacturers have somehow convinced people that their removal is a "feature" is rather sad.

Mine have no problems and i hate wires. Which do you own?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think everything I own should have lithium batteries in it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Javid posted:

Do the USB-c adapters work with stuff like square readers? That's a pretty critical use case for the jack.

Yes.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

LastInLine posted:

As for the headphone jack, well, keep tilting at windmills while the rest of us use wireless headphones and earbuds. In case you aren't aware, they're like standard headphones except better in every way. You should try some!

Besides the issues brought up, I've been in areas where there was so much EM that Bluetooth would not reliably connect and I've used the backup of wired headphones/aux jack on my car. Also, you can pick up headphones for $1 at the dollar store. The sound quality is higher with wired headphones, in such a way it's incredibly noticeable if you hook up to a high-quality stereo. There is significant latency with Bluetooth, so much so that you can't use them for almost any timing based game or VR experience.

That said I use Bluetooth headphones/car adapters every day and my wired jack about once a month but it's nice to have. It's also just about required if you care about VR. I'm personally sticking with the Galaxy in part to have access to the phone jack.

So yes, if you don't care about consistency, quality, latency, or reliability then Bluetooth is just as good and therefore better in every way!

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 18, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This would all be fine if they put two usb-c ports on phones and didn't charge ripoff prices for compact adapters.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
My wife and I recently started sharing our locations with each other on Google Maps. I've got a Pixel 2 XL, she has a Huawei P10 Plus. At first everything worked well and updated regularly, and my location still does. Her location on the other hand, has gone to total poo poo in the last couple of weeks. The map only ever seems to show where she was several hours ago and when I try to refresh it, it says it can't update her location. I was fiddling around with it it the other day, and even opening up Maps on her phone didn't cause it to refresh (I was thinking maybe the process was getting bumped out of memory). We tried stopping sharing, and re-sharing too, and that hasn't helped either.

Any one got any idea what the problem might be, or how to improve it? Is there a better thread than this to ask on?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Stick100 posted:

It's and it's just about required if you care about VR

I am the .001%

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

You also inevitably yabk your phone out of your pocket by getting the cord caught on your arm or something, shattering the screen and possibly the backplate, or at least gouging up the chassis to hell and back. Assuming you don't pack it in that otterbox case that looks like a VHS cassette.
While I almost always use wireless headphones now, I've never had this happen in all my years of headphones. 100% of the time, if the wire got caught, it just got pulled out of the phone.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Javid posted:

https://squareup.com/help/au/en/article/5800-accepting-card-payments-on-a-device-without-a-headphone-jack

tl;dr it works, but they want you to buy a new wireless reader instead

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Stick100 posted:

So yes, if you don't care about consistency, quality, latency, or reliability then Bluetooth is just as good and therefore better in every way!

This applies to 98.2% of the entire consumer market, including vendors.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

While I almost always use wireless headphones now, I've never had this happen in all my years of headphones. 100% of the time, if the wire got caught, it just got pulled out of the phone.

It happened to me a lot and was one of the main things that I hate about wires

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bluetooth vs. headphone jack is the new FireWire vs USB

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Do you guys really use the headphone jack all that much? I could count the times I've used the one on my Pixel XL on one hand.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
How do these phones without headphone jacks receive FM radio? My radio doesn't work unless I've got phones plugged in.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I use mine daily. (Because plugging something into it is the only antenna for the FM radio in my x4)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

How do these phones without headphone jacks receive FM radio? My radio doesn't work unless I've got phones plugged in.

In Norway we've solved that problem by shutting down FM radio. I remember the radio app crashed on my phone and didn't stop playing even when I pulled the headphones out. The signal was fine. That forced headphone connection things has been a lie all the time, possibly financed by Big Jack.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

You're lucky you have FM radio. I've been two years without it (huawei P9) and still miss it. Due to my job I find myself in places with awful data and I miss being able to use FM radio.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

butt dickus posted:

Do you guys really use the headphone jack all that much? I could count the times I've used the one on my Pixel XL on one hand.

Multiple times literally every day. The only time I use my bluetooth headphones is when I go running where there is a value in not having cords getting tangled on my arms.

MikeJF posted:

This would all be fine if they put two usb-c ports on phones and didn't charge ripoff prices for compact adapters.

This would also be an acceptable solution, although it'd still be annoying.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Guillermus posted:

You're lucky you have FM radio. I've been two years without it (huawei P9) and still miss it. Due to my job I find myself in places with awful data and I miss being able to use FM radio.

Pin some music to your phone through whatever streaming app. Or audiobooks or podcasts or whatever, the radio is 90% ads and dj blathering

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I was with you guys on wired headphones until you crazy people started mentioning FM radio. What!? Why!?

Its a pretty simple thing. If having a headphone jack is that important to you, buy a phone with a headphone jack. If you can live with a dongle, live with a dongle. Sooner or later the market manufacturers will device what's best.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 18, 2018

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Blue Train posted:

Pin some music to your phone through whatever streaming app. Or audiobooks or podcasts or whatever, the radio is 90% ads and dj blathering

There's still stuff broadcast that isn't streamed.

Having FM on your phone is surprisingly awesome. I just wish it did AM too.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

axeil posted:

Multiple times literally every day. The only time I use my bluetooth headphones is when I go running where there is a value in not having cords getting tangled on my arms.
I guess I should have just said "headphones.". I don't even own a pair of Bluetooth headphones.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I was with you guys on wired headphones until you crazy people started mentioning FM radio. What!? Why!?

Lol same, I thought they were joking. Radio is dead.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It's free and takes up no storage space or mobile data, if there's a local station you like it's actually pretty great.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"lol if you use your hardware differently than me"

Why is this consistently the response in this thread? The whole point of these devices is you can do ~anything~ with them.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Holy crap that huawei p20 looks fab. Still too steep though.
Guess Nokia wants to hurry up with the 9 at this point. Glad phone cameras are finally leaping forward anyway.

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 18, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's me, I'm the guy who's jealous of the people whose phones have FM radio. Been wanting that feature. It just seems like it'd be neat and not too difficult to include, since portable radios have been a thing forever.

Most areas still have at least one college radio station worth listening to. Or if you want to listen to classical or jazz but you honestly couldn't pick an artist out from a lineup...

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Sir Lemming posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who's jealous of the people whose phones have FM radio. Been wanting that feature. It just seems like it'd be neat and not too difficult to include, since portable radios have been a thing forever.

Most areas still have at least one college radio station worth listening to. Or if you want to listen to classical or jazz but you honestly couldn't pick an artist out from a lineup...

or you live in Soviet Canuckistan and have a couple of CBC channels.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FistEnergy posted:

I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who pay $1000 for an easily breakable/losable device when there are a number of great $250-$400 devices.

We flagship buyers are neither asking for nor are in need of sympathy, though. :smug:

Also how great are these $400 phones if they aren't getting updated?

FistEnergy posted:

Especially when they're running stock Android like Moto/Nokia there's no excuse for a lack of updates.

Stock Android makes no difference with how hard the updates are to produce. What does make a difference is whether the OEM can easily update the HAL which is something Project Treble specifically addresses. Of course, you'll need a Treble-ready phone (meaning launched with Oreo) and an OEM who decided to bother with it (so not a Samsung).

Even once Treble does hit the majority of new, cheap devices there's still the problem where if the OEM didn't sell enough of them they still might not bother. And since we're not talking about Samsungs, well, the OEM didn't sell enough of them.

The tl;dr is you buy expensive phones for the support window. You buy cheap phones so you don't have to worry about it.

chippy posted:

My wife and I recently started sharing our locations with each other on Google Maps. I've got a Pixel 2 XL, she has a Huawei P10 Plus. At first everything worked well and updated regularly, and my location still does. Her location on the other hand, has gone to total poo poo in the last couple of weeks. The map only ever seems to show where she was several hours ago and when I try to refresh it, it says it can't update her location. I was fiddling around with it it the other day, and even opening up Maps on her phone didn't cause it to refresh (I was thinking maybe the process was getting bumped out of memory). We tried stopping sharing, and re-sharing too, and that hasn't helped either.

Any one got any idea what the problem might be, or how to improve it? Is there a better thread than this to ask on?

Did you check her phone's location services? Maybe she accidentally turned it off? When it happens, is her location accurate in Maps?

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 18, 2018

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

Bluetooth vs. headphone jack is the new FireWire vs USB

Nobody ever used FireWire soooo

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

dont skimp on the shrimp posted:

Personally I hope more manufacturers produce usb c headphones instead, but people will probably keep raging over that headphone jack either way.
I predict this is where we'll end up eventually, the $3 cheap headphones will have Lightning or USB-C on the end of the cable instead of a headphone jack, and they'll cost $5 instead.

Stick100 posted:

There is significant latency with Bluetooth, so much so that you can't use them for almost any timing based game or VR experience.
When I finally gave in and bought a phone without a headphone jack I also picked up a set of fully wireless Bluetooth earbuds. I like them a lot for listening to podcasts, but the latency is unbelievable, like literally half a second. They're useless for coordinating with anything on-screen, even watching a video. Does anybody have any recommendations for Bluetooth earbuds with the lowest possible latency?

CLAM DOWN posted:

It depends on the country. In the USA data is cheap and unlimited plans are available and in some cases music streaming is zero rated. Therefore the FM radio feature is rarely even enabled. In other countries though, especially ones with expensive data plans, it's still a valued feature.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CLAM DOWN posted:

Please keep your Canada-centric opinions out of my Android thread :mad:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

vyst posted:

Nobody ever used FireWire soooo

I still have people using firewire

I bet there is still someone with a comcast cable box hooked up via firewire to their projection hdtv

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Javid posted:

It's free and takes up no storage space or mobile data, if there's a local station you like it's actually pretty great.

It is not free, you get to listen to the same godawful commercials (unless they are state farm, those are funny at least) over, and over, and over again and they always seem to never end. Also the quality sucks unless you have an HD receiver. Yes there are some local stations I do like, but the 5 minutes of music filled with 15+ minutes of commercials makes that $15 a month spent on unlimited play music (shared with me and my family) is worth every cent.

That and if you want to listen to AM talk radio or something, pretty much every show has a app to listen in and the streaming quality is so low even a 200mb data plan could do those comfortably as well as hear the show better. Screw driving around in California with all the lovely wiring throwing static at your AM signal.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Well yeah, going to California is always a mistake.

Pretty much any free app has ads. At least the FM ads aren't chewing up my mobile data while being muted.

And having a radio in your pocket already is an enormous boon in a disaster or major outage. To the point where even the FCC is criticizing Apple for having the chips in their phones but refusing to allow users to access them. And some countries mandating the same so everyone has it. FM is still really loving useful.

Javid fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 18, 2018

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

CLAM DOWN posted:

quote:

Please keep your Canada-centric opinions out of my Android thread :mad:
Whatever radio stations you listen to are more likely than not, part of iHeartMedia, which filed for Bankruptcy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

butt dickus posted:

Literally daily. If any of y'all know of Bluetooth headphones that can match or beat Shure in ear phones in price, quality, and blocking out the conference room my cubicle is next to I'd love to hear about it.