Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Just my two cents: the more this project adds new elements and strays away from the intentions of the source material, the less it feels like a worthwhile pursuit. In my opinion the best possible version of this primarily fixes and deepens the original text. Transforming it into a whole new book by adding additional subplots, factions, characters, and story elements just makes it feel like it's roaming outside of "interesting experiment" territory and into "writing fan fiction about an awful novel" territory.

If it's so different from the original that all characters, motivations, dynamics, and plot mechanics are substantially different than Cline set out to write, then just... write an original work that takes some elements you like and do your own riff on the core concepts.

:agreed:

Burkion posted:

So I've started skimming this thread, excuse me if I suggest something that has already been discussed. Keeping things true to the novel is ideal, like feed said, but there are some things in the novel that barely get any lip service or get no attention at all. The main thing is that Halliday should be presented the way he actually is- a deluded, sad old man whose only happiness were in the few things that he could distract himself with from his lovely home life. A man who, with his last act on Earth, plunged humanity into a creative freefall. A fact that the main character doesn't even realize because now he's Halliday, trying to ignore the world around himself by plunging himself into his own distractions and second hand nostalgia.

Take the stuff like "Wargames was his favorite movie, and so it became mine." And just make it quietly bitter. A bitterness and resentment that Wade would only realize as he goes further and further into the quest, maybe rearing its head during the Wargames game. Watching a movie is one thing, having to live through it is miserable. Key into the fact that the game ultimately does more harm than good, explore how it's made all of culture bankrupt. Maybe add an extra element, take the Aunt character and have her actually care about Wade. Wade just doesn't know it, doesn't realize it, because he's always got his head shoved in the digital clouds. The Aunt can't show it too well because she's stressed out and poor but Wade is the last thing she has of her sister and possibly family.

Basically the villain of the story should be Halliday himself, highjacking the youth of the world and forcing them to live like he did even after he has died

You could even tie the Aunt in with the implication from "Lacero" that Sorrento is Wade's uncle: his Aunt keeps mentioning a brother of hers that is working in IOI (or equivalent) that is completely ignored by Wade until Sorrento brings it up.

Also, I dislike the concept of magic in RPO and would rather just have it be programming knowledge, skill, and access level. Like certain sims have specific scripting or features turned off (like caping physical strength, no invulnerability and no flying to keep Superman from a realistic WW2 sim), preventing ownership or instancing of certain objects ("keep your AK47 out of our fantasy sim" or even make it to where you can't rez bullets), restricted to specific users (like the mods of the sims or OASIS personnel) or have to use in-game terminals to do stuff (like restricting crafting to certain static areas so you do have logistics issues). "Wizards" are those who would be able to manipulate and weaponize glitches and have the know-how to get around access restrictions. This is why Halliday was basically God: he wrote into the code that his permissions and those of objects he made outruled everyone elses, even GSF personnel can't break them.

I had this thought about goofing around with the physics where there's this whole subculture of "bouncers" or "bounders", who get around OASIS' planetary system mockup by manipulating a certain feature of the how the planets are set up: they all tend to have the same gravity (10 meters/second, basically Earth's gravity rounded to the nearest number), but the planets themselves don't have the same diameter (in fact, they have nowhere near Earth's diameter, only being few kilometers on average), so it's easy to achieve escape velocity on one planet sim, float a bit (my OASIS would be smaller than 10 cubic light years, so it would be hours at most), then enter into another planet sim and hopefully make a graceful landing (parachutes are standard issue for these guys, because they might not be landing into a "no damage" setting).

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I’m on mobile so I can’t make a big post commenting on all of this, but one element that Cline introduced that actually sounded like a good setup for something but never got used was the idea of different zones having different rules, like the cyberpunk worlds that don’t allow magic so someone who shows up with a full D&D wizard character and no variety gets ganked.

For the Dungeons of Daggorath sim, I was thinking it’s set up like that. Wade and Aech show up with full sci-fi loadouts that can make a mess of everything, only to find that their blasters won’t fire and their personal shields won’t activate. They start out practically unarmed and end up having to fight even harder to get items and weapons from the game just so they can reach the end.

And they get to fight I-r0k before that so you get to see what their guns and cool gear can really do, so it doesn’t get wasted by the narrative.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Okay back on a computer so I have some more thoughts on what got brought up.

feedmyleg posted:

Just my two cents: the more this project adds new elements and strays away from the intentions of the source material, the less it feels like a worthwhile pursuit. In my opinion the best possible version of this primarily fixes and deepens the original text. Transforming it into a whole new book by adding additional subplots, factions, characters, and story elements just makes it feel like it's roaming outside of "interesting experiment" territory and into "writing fan fiction about an awful novel" territory.

If it's so different from the original that all characters, motivations, dynamics, and plot mechanics are substantially different than Cline set out to write, then just... write an original work that takes some elements you like and do your own riff on the core concepts.

The only parts I really want to change heavily are the ones that either don't work as they are in the book or were wasted opportunities. It's just really hard to make "And then I had to play Matthew Broderick in WarGames and do all the dialogue and moves perfectly" entertaining to read. With the change in Wade's characterization as more of a socially awkward outsider to the rest of the High Five, it also didn't make a whole lot of sense that he'd be able to actually succeed on the first try with that. Changing it to an epic World War III game as a sort of "What if David Lightman failed?" scenario doesn't require him to utilize such a ridiculous level of knowledge so early that it wouldn't make sense with how his character is changed.

In terms of wasted opportunities, ironically the cringeworthy DeLorean is one of them. A whole paragraph gets dedicated to building up the most uncomfortably nerdy car ever made, including its ability to phase through solid matter and have a recreation of KITT aboard, and then all it does is show up long enough to get parked. The movie solves this by having it be used in a racing challenge twice and then serving as Wade's transport in the final battle, but we don't need to change around that much. Show how Wade actually gets the car (and with the changes to his character, actually finds it kinda weird and embarrassing to drive) and then have it see use in a car chase where all of its custom capabilities can be seen.

feedmyleg posted:

Fully agreed. Definitely what I was meaning with "deepen". Take what's already there—like Halliday's toxic plan, or Artemis's physical abnormality—and modify it and build connections to other things in the story just enough to make it all have meaning and purpose.

Don't ignore or strip out the fact that Artemis has a portwine stain on her face like I saw some folks doing (which can be much more severe than just a small birthmark), make Wade react poorly when he finally meets her in the real world. Have that be extremely hurtful to her, validating her fears, and have it be harmful to their relationship. Make Wade wrestle with the dichotomy of being attracted to who she is inside, but not initially attracted to what she looks like in the real world. And have him come to understand how that reflects poorly on him, how he needs to overcome his superficiality. Then you can have him extend that thinking and growth to how he thinks about the Oasis and the real world. Make it a metaphor for how people escape into this world to ignore reality rather than deal with it in a healthy and constructive way, creating a spiral of toxic fantasy pursuit where people can ignore the problems of the real world by pretending they don't exist. Have Artemis struggle with the fact that this is true, but that being able to create an avatar in the Oasis allows her to feel comfortable with presenting herself to people without their biases and unconscious judgements becoming a barrier, but also recognize that it's a toxic force too. Just like, you know, the internet. Or take it a different way and have the portwine stain be barely noticeable, but then play up Artemis's insecurities about it and make her lie to Wade about who she is in the real world. Show how she internalized her insecurities and turned them into self-hatred. How the Oasis enabled her in running away from her acceptance of self. Or a million other interesting things you could do with what's currently on the page.

In other words, draw from what's already in the book, rather than adding new external things. It's a fine line, but I think having the outcome of the project be a better version of what Ready Player One is would be a lot more interesting than just writing the best possible book based on a bunch of the elements that Cline put into play, alongside a bunch of other stuff y'all wish was in there or think would be cool to add.

When it comes to Art3mis, it sounds like we may want to wait until we get closer to the Distracted Globe fight to finally decide what her real world problem is. There hasn't been a whole lot of agreement on what it should be or how far to take it, but just about every idea has been equally valid and also has its own problems.

Does giving her a serious disfigurement remove the problem where it seems dumb to obsess over it, or does it inadvertently suggest that she really is hideous on the outside and Wade is being gallantly chivalrous by ignoring her appearance? Does obsessing over a minor flaw provide commentary on bodily dysphoria and insecurity over not looking like an airbrushed model, or does it make her seem like a whiner? Does removing any flaw altogether and having Wade inadvertently push her away because of his social awkwardness better showcase the personal faults he needs to overcome, or does it remove a vital part of her character and allow him to get a hot nerd chick as a prize?

I think the amount of debate it's caused shows how meaningful the truth behind her character is to the rest of the book and the protagonist, but it also means it's really hard to actually decide what to do with it. There's no answer that's going to please everybody and offend nobody.

--------------

In terms of content for the first chapter, I'm going to try and have an early draft of some parts today or tomorrow.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, I get it.

But if in the original he's supposed to recite WarGames to win, it feels like the more interesting thing to do instead of just throwing that out is to make it work. Would the reader find it boring to read? If it was just conveyed beat-by-beat, yes. But wouldn't Wade also find it boring to do? If he's memorized it, he's memorized it, and there's no tension for either him or the audience. Use that to your advantage and get inside Wade's head instead of just describing the events, having him realize that it's fundamentally lame contest to begin with. As he's rattling off line-after-line of dialogue, he can ask himself why Halliday thought this would show anyone's worth, why the person who has this skillset would deserve to find the treasure over anyone else.

And I feel like the same thing applies to the DeLorean. If Wade spent his time, energy, and effort on acquiring this empty, meaningless, useless thing... that seems like something to be built on. He had no indication when he started that acquiring encyclopedic knowledge of Back to the Future would end up being useless while acquiring encyclopedic knowledge of WarGames would end up being useful. He can realize that it's all arbitrary, and Halliday's plan is fundamentally flawed, teaching nothing and creating a toxic culture of pop culture consumption for the sake of consumption. That Halliday was just a pop culture obsessed dork who had an unhealthy penchant for nostalgia who decided that everyone should share his toxic affliction. That there was no master plan to hand The Oasis over to someone who deserves it. That's it's all just an adult covering his shelves in action figures. That the whole thing is empty.

Changing it to "an epic World War III game" makes it feel like your goal is to write your own version of the story that you think is cool, not to write the better version of what Ready Player One is. But again, I know it's a fine line either way, and following this to its logical conclusion just ends with not writing the book at all. But I think it's worth considering.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Well, the characterization of Wade 2.0 as it stands right now is that he's an outsider to the hunt and the 80s obsession it caused. He doesn't start trying to learn everything until after he finds the Copper Key and realizes that he's closer than ever before to having a life. The problem I see is that WarGames is one of hundreds or thousands of movies that Halliday could have used, and the only reason Wade was really able to pass it on the first try was luck of the draw and 5 years of nonstop media consumption.

So if we're sticking with the original concept of just reciting dialogue, we'd need to build Wade's initial "training" with Aech around this kind of rote memorization of Halliday's favorite works. So how does he end up picking that movie out of everything else, and how much time has to pass between finding the key and visiting the gate for him to actually have it memorized?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's fair. I realize I'm a latecomer into this so it might just already be too far along for my suggestions to fit into what y'all have set up. But it seems to me like if you're having bend over backward to make the actual story of the book fit alongside what you decided Wade's characterization is, then maybe the characterization you've chosen isn't right for what the book is. Isn't it much closer to the book that he'd be a true believer in Halliday's cause, a kid whose thrown his life away to pursue this misguided dream he's been sold, and that his arc is to realize how fundamentally toxic this ideology is?

That also seems to mirror the point of this project, making it a commentary on how poorly the book was written.

e: I don't mean to come off sounding like I'm saying what you're doing is wrong or bad. Just throwing out my thoughts on what I think is a more interesting experiment.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 16, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think the re-characterization of Wade was an idea from the original Let's Read thread. Nobody really liked Wade as a character because (along with not having to learn any kind of lesson or improve on his negative qualities in any way to win or get the girl) he just wasn't that likable. He became the most powerful individual human being in the world through his obsession with his idol's life and 80s pop culture, to the point where he has virtually no personality apart from these obsessions. The book has a few sentences to try and say "Reality is real, don't throw away your life in a video game", but undercuts its own message by making throwing away your life in a video game the only way to succeed at the Hunt.

The idea was to make Wade a more realistic character with a journey of his own, as well as providing a character who comes in as an outsider rather than every single major character being equals in the egg hunt. He falls into the hunt by accident when he stumbles upon the Tomb of Horrors without even knowing what it is and finds a way to finally make it in life, only to discover that the only way to compete is to fall into the same obsessions that Halliday did. Halliday maintains his personality from the books almost exactly, but is presented as a posthumous villain rather than an idol to live up to.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The other option is to make Wade a tragic hero, a young wannabe-artist in love with what he sees as one of the greatest works of art still in existence. He lionises Halliday without truly realising what he was, a man who couldn’t appreciate art, only use it as social currency to create an exclusive bubble for himself and the people who Got It until he died disillusioned and alone. Over the course of the book, he stripped away all that was good and healthy about himself until he finally claimed his throne, leaving behind his better-adjusted friends who still had some attachment to the world. Years later, Aech and Art3mis pulled him out of the last OASIS haptic chair. The massive virtual world shrivelled around him as he first booted out IOI, then everyone else who he felt could not share his and Halliday’s vision, until it was simply an impenetrable, masturbatory shell around the last gunter. He watched Transformers: The Movie one and a half million times, mouthing ‘Megatron must be stopped, no matter the cost’ around the smooth plastic of his feeding tube. He fought Amuro Ray, Connor MacLeod, and the Punisher twelve thousand times - not to win, but to die exactly as he was supposed to. He had sex with Valeria, Casca, and hundreds of other women, pumping watery semen into the waste disposal chutes in precise harmony with the characters he had seen so many times before. When the power finally cut off, he felt the relief of Rin when she learned that Bat lived.

He looked up as the women brought him outside. It was dusk, and the sleek skyscrapers of a post-OASIS world glittered with hundreds of lights. The sky above was all deep purples and fiery oranges, almost as beautiful as the binary sunset from Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I haven't read the thread, but my idea for fixing Ready Player One is to leave out Blade Runner, as I take the original book's Wikipedia page on my favorite film as a personal insult.

Feel free to substitute Blade Runner 2049 or the 1997 Blade Runner adventure game, or possibly K. W. Jeter's Blade Runner 2: The Edge of Human.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What about Total Recall 2070? I feel like it's way more underground and obscure, and most people don't know that it's actually a stealth Blade Runner series.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Feel free to substitute Blade Runner 2049

The challenge is to do every scene as slowly as possible.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've done part of the first chapter, leading up to the start of Anorak's Invitation. This isn't the final chapter draft, just what I've gotten so far to get some feedback on.

quote:

I don’t remember what color the sky was when Halliday died.

I didn’t see it much, even when looking out the laundry room window. The other stack across the way filled up most of my view. When I actually left my unit, I kept my head to the ground and on a swivel for anyone coming out of an alley (which was often, since alleys were the only thing separating stacks). And when I was inside, I had more pressing things to pay attention to.

The date’s easy to find, though, if you Google it. December 2nd, 2090. According to weather.com, Oklahoma City was cloudy that day with a high of 39 degrees Fahrenheit and a low of 27 degrees. At the moment his heart made its final beat, the wind was 6 miles per hour and blowing northwest. Brain cells begin to die after 4 to 6 minutes without blood flow, so I suppose the humidity was around 24% when James Halliday ceased to exist. Give or take.

What I remember is that I was 14 years old when the school day was interrupted by a window that appeared on everybody’s visor. I think it might have been my US History (Basic) class, but a lot of these OASIS teachers look interchangeable so my memory is a bit fuzzy then. I remember that even he stopped mid-sentence, which is how I know that “everybody” meant everybody.

The window was black at first, with the title bar along the top simply reading “Anorak’s Invitation”. It piqued my interest; just about every announcement from the CEO came from Anorak, but usually in the form of emails. Stopping everything to force people to listen? Now that was something.

The first sound we all heard in our headphones was a distorted guitar, just long enough to get us interested. And then it seemed like every instrument possible struck at once. “All dressed up and nowhere to go….”

So a few things on how I'm structuring this:

1. Anorak's Invitation is being done through Wade's eyes, rather than a rote recitation of everything in it, so as it continues we get to see his actual reactions to the contents like his thoughts on hearing "Dead Man's Party" for the first time in his life. It's especially weird since this is the 2090s now, so stuff like Oingo Boingo is 100 years old or more. I imagine that along with the really popular franchises like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings that will doubtlessly have continued in popularity and potentially further works well into the 21st century, OASIS had a lot of content based on fiction and pop culture that we haven't reached yet in real life. The sudden influx of 70s, 80s, and 90s pop culture in OASIS would be a direct result of Halliday's interference with the progression of pop culture causing an obsession with winning the competition.

2. I'm writing Wade as someone who didn't really feel much when Halliday died. Rather than being an idol whose biography he memorized, he's just that guy who made the world-encompassing VR system and never spoke to the common man much. He reacts to Halliday's death the same way an average iPhone owner reacted to Steve Jobs dying: going "Oh, sad" and moving on with their lives. Hence the recitation of weather facts, which mean about as much to him as the details of Halliday's death five years down the line.

3. Yes, the opening line is a direct Neuromancer reference.

4. Instead of Wade just dropping all the details about OASIS on the very first page, I think it flows a bit better to integrate chunks of knowledge for the reader into the narrative. I like the idea of having it so that even someone who never read the blurb on the back of the book can infer what OASIS is and that Wade's going to virtual school in it before Wade directly says "OASIS is a virtual reality that everyone is in, and I go to school on Ludus in my secret van hideout." This is also how I think it would best work to introduce the details about the stacks and the rest of the world, without just info dumping paragraphs of backstory.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In case you’re wondering, this is what BOTL was getting at about prose as explained by someone actually trying to be helpful and informative. It’s actually quite interesting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I went ahead and wrote the rest of the chapter. Does anyone else want to contribute some text ideas first?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is a great article, though I think a bit outside the scope of this thread. The criticism is specifically on Patrick Rothfuss writing a medieval fantasy novel using standard 21st century dialogue and writing conventions that make it easy for the mass market, whereas Tolkien uses the text as a vessel for the more alien beliefs and language of his own medieval characters by writing it in the style of someone from that time.

My two points on that:

1. Mass market writing isn't inherently bad, merely a good vessel for bad books. Describing a book as cozy and entertaining is still admitting that it's entertaining, even if you're upset that it didn't do something deeply artistic and unusual. Demanding that all fiction be written in the most maximally artistic ways is not unlike denouncing that any artwork except surrealism or cubism is just mass market trash, and that's how you get hipsters.

2. Even with the later date, the book takes place 77 years from now. 77 years ago was 1941, and reading something from World War II is almost exactly like reading something from today. The only things that have really changed are some genre conventions and the more obscure or cultural slang, but a 12-year-old could read a newspaper talking about the attack on Pearl Harbor and find all of the text perfectly understandable even if they don't know the politics behind it (and middle school and high school students regularly read older books for their classes). Especially in a world that's canonically had its pop culture stagnated for a few years by the obsession over Halliday's Hunt, text written in our world of 2095 probably isn't going to look a lot different from what I'm writing now.

That being said, I still think it's good to keep info dumps to a minimum and write as if Wade assumes the reader knows the basics of the world. The idea to place in-universe documents between chapters helps clear up anything that isn't in the narrative text and expand on the background, so you can have something like a newspaper article from 2042 talking about the fictional universes that OASIS has recently licensed for recreation rather than Wade saying "In 2042, OASIS purchased World of Warcraft and then every company ever just threw their stuff in to make money" as if the reader doesn't know what anything is.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I suppose one thing - which you’ve already touched on slightly - that might help the medium be the message is to incorporate this culture’s obsession with an Eighties wonderland into the prose. Similes and phrases from ancient TV shows, speeches in the cadence of Claremont X-Men comics (god help us) - art is the language of culture, and we could really delve deep into how such a stagnant culture expresses itself through that language.

That does rather depend on how all-enveloping we want the OASIS to be, though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

chitoryu12 posted:

My two points on that:

1. Mass market writing isn't inherently bad, merely a good vessel for bad books. Describing a book as cozy and entertaining is still admitting that it's entertaining, even if you're upset that it didn't do something deeply artistic and unusual. Demanding that all fiction be written in the most maximally artistic ways is not unlike denouncing that any artwork except surrealism or cubism is just mass market trash, and that's how you get hipsters.

I feel like its fundamentally depressing for a writer to believe their book is of so little value to not be worth writing well. The idea of a writer setting out to create a product that doesn't provide anything other tha base and indistinct entertainment is painfully capitalist.

I would also argue that the idea of good writing and experimental writing are not the same. Not every good writer writes like Faulkner or Joyce. Hemingway is the greatest English prose stylist in history and one would be hard pressed to call his craft experimental or avant garde.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I feel like its fundamentally depressing for a writer to believe their book is of so little value to not be worth writing well. The idea of a writer setting out to create a product that doesn't provide anything other tha base and indistinct entertainment is painfully capitalist.

I would also argue that the idea of good writing and experimental writing are not the same. Not every good writer writes like Faulkner or Joyce. Hemingway is the greatest English prose stylist in history and one would be hard pressed to call his craft experimental or avant garde.

The problem is that you've determined my statement of "This book isn't going to be avant-garde or do anything on the same level as writing a medieval fantasy book in the same style as the actual characters would write an epic in their own universe" with "This book isn't of value, so I'm just going to write mass market crap." Writing mass market crap would be a terrible idea anyway, since this isn't making me money.

A book doesn't stop being an artistic effort simply because it's easy to read and understand, any more than a book starts being good art when the prose gets more purple or the author starts making a failed effort to imitate Hemingway or Steinbeck. The book remains written as a narrative in Wade Watts' head, and thus should be written in a way that a socially awkward teenage nerd would describe his situation. The difference is that we're actually making him a character with feelings, rather than a walking list of pop culture references.

Darth Walrus posted:

I suppose one thing - which you’ve already touched on slightly - that might help the medium be the message is to incorporate this culture’s obsession with an Eighties wonderland into the prose. Similes and phrases from ancient TV shows, speeches in the cadence of Claremont X-Men comics (god help us) - art is the language of culture, and we could really delve deep into how such a stagnant culture expresses itself through that language.

That does rather depend on how all-enveloping we want the OASIS to be, though.

I've been thinking about the inclusion of 2095 slang or phrases, but I don't want to go quite to the level of A Clockwork Orange where most of the book is in untranslated future speak that requires a glossary. It would be more like the aforementioned reading something from the 1940s or 1930s: extremely similar to modern writing, but with occasional insertion of a phrase that is no longer used and might require the reader to look it up if they can't figure it out from the context.

Like here's an editorial from 1945 in The Guardian:

quote:

If, as seems likely, Mussolini and other prominent members of the Fascist hierarchy have been shot by the Italian partisans without trial or argument, no one in the Allied countries will complain. These men were as guilty as any. They were sufficiently notorious to make identification easy. They richly deserved their fate. The method cannot be taken as a precedent, but many will feel that there is a certain rough justice about these swift and passionate executions which may be lacking from the cold-blooded judicial trials of which we shall have all too many before we are finished. Of the dead men only one has earned a place in history. Mussolini, the inventor of Fascism and the first modern dictator, was a man of no ordinary ability. This rough, shrewd, ambitious peasant was the first to discover the modern road to power. Long before Hitler he found an army among the down-and-outs, the unemployed, the ex-Service men, the whole tribe of "armed Bohemians" left over from the first world war. And long before Hitler he realised the power of propaganda as an instrument to support his rule. For this last he was exceptionally suited. A journalist, he had himself a flamboyant, effective style both in writing and speaking, which, unfortunately, he has bequeathed to the Italy that has got rid of him. A true Italian, he perfectly understood the dramatic gesture which so appeals to a nation with an operatic tradition.

In one respect Mussolini was always easier understand than Hitler. He was no fanatic, but a cynic who in private would often talk in a reasonable and intelligent manner. His foreign policy, therefore, was more predictable. In the early days at least he had no love for Hitler or for Germany, which he rightly regarded as the supreme threat to Italian independence. But when his absurd dreams of empire had led him into the Abyssinian adventure he was forced into the arms of Germany. The half-hearted policy of "sanctions" did not save Abyssinia but only made the Axis certain. Like the leaders of the democracies Mussolini underrated Hitler, whom he naturally despised as an intellectual inferior who had copied his example. At the same time he overrated the power of Italy and the loyalty of Italians to the Fascist Government. It is now clear that, for all their criminal folly, the Italian people never wholly accepted the denial of liberty, the cruelty and corruption, which went with Fascism. Many, too many unfortunately, liked to be told that Italy was a great and martial nation, but when it came to the point they were at once too sensible and too civilised to follow their leader to the end. If Italian fascism was less horrible than German Nazism, one must thank the Italian people and not Mussolini. As it is, his crimes were sufficient. The Murder of Matteotti and the invasion of Spain, to name only two, are not easily forgotten. But Mussolini's greatest crime was to have been the inventor and creator of that evil disease which has so nearly brought Europe to ruin. He was the first Fascist, and as such will stand infamous in history.

The only parts of this article that betray its age are anachronistic usage of capitalization and calling Ethiopia "Abyssinia". You go whole paragraphs without anything that makes it a period piece.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

chitoryu12 posted:

A book doesn't stop being an artistic effort simply because it's easy to read and understand, any more than a book starts being good art when the prose gets more purple or the author starts making a failed effort to imitate Hemingway or Steinbeck. The book remains written as a narrative in Wade Watts' head, and thus should be written in a way that a socially awkward teenage nerd would describe his situation. The difference is that we're actually making him a character with feelings, rather than a walking list of pop culture references.

The problem with mass market prose is not that its "easy to read and understand"

The problem is that it is inelegant and indistinct

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

For me, if there's a difference, it's less capitalist and more consumerist. However linked they are.

I've seen it quite a bit, especially with YA authors and librarians, where they proudly exclaim the virtues of reading. My brother reads quite a bit but when he was very young he refused to read. He was started off on comics (The Beano and The Dandy) and from there he went on to read more traditional stories and now he's as much a reader as any other. This is definitely a valid strategy. However, there's a presumption, and a very middle class one at that, that reading is a noble pursuit. That reading is the end in itself rather than a tool. There's people happily tweeting links to studies saying reading makes people more aware, knowledgeable about the world and more empathetic (the big one.) It may very well be true that any reading of fiction will do that, but just reading isn't the zenith of achievement.

There's often a pride expressed in reading. "I looked around the hospital waiting room and everyone was on their phone! Not ONE person, [apart from me is implied,] reading a book!" I'm fine with reading being escapist. I'm fine with trash fiction. There are plenty of people who work hard all day long, they're tired, stressed, and their night with a book is a relief. These people might work physically active jobs, thought intensive jobs, they might be standing in one spot giving a pre-written response to the same question from a series of hundreds of people. A book that helps them switch off is fine by me. The difference is people somehow put that reading above watching a procedural crime show. They see that as somehow more worthy than watching a crime lab technician solve a murder.

Language and prose might be one way to value a story (keeping in mind, as you pointed out, the difference between Hemmingway, and Joyce and Faulkner.) The ideas present might be another. The exploration of the human condition, loss, grief, joy, hate, anger. The exploration of human interaction. All of this can have value for making greater (humanity.) But there still needs to be a line drawn between books which set out to achieve this, and books that are written for other purposes. Not all reading has the same goal, and not all writing is a grand achievement of human creativity, thought or ambition. The idea that books are a good thing, that reading is a valuable thing, no matter what, is having a horrific effect its environment.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mrenda posted:

There's often a pride expressed in reading. "I looked around the hospital waiting room and everyone was on their phone! Not ONE person, [apart from me is implied,] reading a book!" I'm fine with reading being escapist. I'm fine with trash fiction. There are plenty of people who work hard all day long, they're tired, stressed, and their night with a book is a relief. These people might work physically active jobs, thought intensive jobs, they might be standing in one spot giving a pre-written response to the same question from a series of hundreds of people. A book that helps them switch off is fine by me. The difference is people somehow put that reading above watching a procedural crime show. They see that as somehow more worthy than watching a crime lab technician solve a murder.

Language and prose might be one way to value a story (keeping in mind, as you pointed out, the difference between Hemmingway, and Joyce and Faulkner.) The ideas present might be another. The exploration of the human condition, loss, grief, joy, hate, anger. The exploration of human interaction. All of this can have value for making greater (humanity.) But there still needs to be a line drawn between books which set out to achieve this, and books that are written for other purposes. Not all reading has the same goal, and not all writing is a grand achievement of human creativity, thought or ambition. The idea that books are a good thing, that reading is a valuable thing, no matter what, is having a horrific effect its environment.

I don't think the emphasis on style and prose is because of some deeper belief that books are sacred and magical. For me, its just the simple belief that things should be done well if you are going to do them. Its why Raymond Chandler is better celebrated than Michael Connelly. It's not just books. Take Steven Spielberg. The dude has worked exclusively in schlock for his entire career, but one of his defining features is that he does schlock WELL. He is a master of the craft of filmmaking, and its that mastery which elevates his films from the generic mass his stories arrive from.

Even popcorn style turn your mind off entertainment deserves to have a level of "craft" applied to it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Would it work better for you guys if I tweaked the remainder of the chapter for a day or two and then posted the rest so we can move on to Chapter 2, or would it be best for me to post the draft I've got right now to see how it's working?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Would it work better for you guys if I tweaked the remainder of the chapter for a day or two and then posted the rest so we can move on to Chapter 2, or would it be best for me to post the draft I've got right now to see how it's working?

If you want the project to be truly collaborative you should give the thread as much raw material to work with as possible. If you are fixing it up behind the scenes and then showing it off, you are essentially taking ownership of the project.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I don't think that this goon project will end very well.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I don't think that this goon project will end very well.

Clipperton posted:

even if this project gets abandoned tomorrow it's already made the forums a better place (for a week anyway)

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't think the emphasis on style and prose is because of some deeper belief that books are sacred and magical. For me, its just the simple belief that things should be done well if you are going to do them. Its why Raymond Chandler is better celebrated than Michael Connelly. It's not just books. Take Steven Spielberg. The dude has worked exclusively in schlock for his entire career, but one of his defining features is that he does schlock WELL. He is a master of the craft of filmmaking, and its that mastery which elevates his films from the generic mass his stories arrive from.

Even popcorn style turn your mind off entertainment deserves to have a level of "craft" applied to it.

That's fair. I think the simple answer is that it's difficult to do that, and in many cases it's not demanded. If you're talking about schlock entertainment in other media then yes, there's absolutely well crafted mindless popcorn turns. But that craft elevates them even if the story or core meaning doesn't (Westworld comes to mind for me.) If everyone was discerning we might get a lot less stories published. TV would run after school for children and from 8pm to 10pm for adults.

You want it to reach a certain level. Not everyone does on the consumption end. From the authors end I think they want quality but again the highest levels are beyond the reaches of most. At least once someone has come into the Thunderdome thread, asking where are the people trying to write serious, literary fiction. I think everyone is taking their attempts seriously but serious fiction isn't the goal of everyone. It never has been, rather stories that some people or many people will enjoy.

For me that ends up in a separation of what the aim of fiction, film, TV, etc. is. You may want the best as a reader. A writer may want the best from their stories. Yet there needs to be a recognition that not everything is "art" and not everyone wants that. Once you recognise it's easier to focus on your own enjoyment and dismiss other matters. Even if it's to bathe in your dismay at the world (and write about it on highly topical and relevant internet discussion pages.)

(A common refrain in a professional rugby team I follow is, "Have you no pride?" Calling on each other to work their hardest in recognition they can do more. For some people their pride, their achievement and goal, is writing a story people fully switch off with, for others it's changing the direction of modern literature.)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

5 hours left

And then the hero returns

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mrenda posted:

For me that ends up in a separation of what the aim of fiction, film, TV, etc. is. You may want the best as a reader. A writer may want the best from their stories. Yet there needs to be a recognition that not everything is "art" and not everyone wants that. Once you recognise it's easier to focus on your own enjoyment and dismiss other matters. Even if it's to bathe in your dismay at the world (and write about it on highly topical and relevant internet discussion pages.)

(A common refrain in a professional rugby team I follow is, "Have you no pride?" Calling on each other to work their hardest in recognition they can do more. For some people their pride, their achievement and goal, is writing a story people fully switch off with, for others it's changing the direction of modern literature.)

I get this mentality, but it is a wholly capitalist and consumerist mentality. It suggests books are products and readers are consumers and the book must act transactionally in its relationship with the reader.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you want the project to be truly collaborative you should give the thread as much raw material to work with as possible. If you are fixing it up behind the scenes and then showing it off, you are essentially taking ownership of the project.

It was established in the OP that I've still got the final say on the content to make sure that it doesn't bog down on one chapter for months or end up with people trying to shovel in weird or terrible stuff, but I was hoping that I'd get some contributions from people on feeling out the prose or including something they thought would be important to cover. It looks like I ended up being the only one to post anything, though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

It was established in the OP that I've still got the final say on the content to make sure that it doesn't bog down on one chapter for months or end up with people trying to shovel in weird or terrible stuff, but I was hoping that I'd get some contributions from people on feeling out the prose or including something they thought would be important to cover. It looks like I ended up being the only one to post anything, though.

thats hardly fair

I posted two chapters

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, this thing isn't publishable anyway. So why not let the project be a little more democratized?

Why not just put together a definitive bible of what the goals and main changes should be, get volunteer goons to each rewrite a single chapter at a time, give them a 2 week timeframe to get it done (after which it reverts to unassigned), then compile the whole thing together and release it. It's not that different from what you're doing now, but that way people can choose the chapters they want to tackle, choose to write them in the way that they enjoy, and feel like they have some ownership over the end result. It becomes "How would I rewrite this part of this book were I the author?" rather than the current way of "How would chitoryu12 rewrite this part of the book were they the author?"

Your way just kind of makes it feel like "Why bother, if this guy is just going to tell me what to do then rewrite what I've done?" It also takes the burden off of you for having to edit everything and makes it feel like a collective project, but with a guiding hand. Then you can even reserve the right to rewrite it after the fact, but the "behind closed doors" aspect really seems like a barrier if anyone wants to put in any effort. Plus, if you're looser with the whole thing, it might actually get done.

After all, this whole thing is supposed to be a fun experiment, right? Don't let this become like most goon projects that collapse under the weight of someone wanting too much control. Let the compiled version be wonky and uneven in its style and direction, then fix that for yourself if that's important to you. Ask yourself, is this your project or our project?

As far as I'm concerned, getting an exquisite corpse of a novel that is better than the original seems like the best outcome.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 18, 2018

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I get this mentality, but it is a wholly capitalist and consumerist mentality. It suggests books are products and readers are consumers and the book must act transactionally in its relationship with the reader.

I agree, to a certain extent at least. I don't think there's anything wrong with having a balance. My problem, and maybe my problem with your problem is how absolute you seem, is it's tilted too much towards catering to people, and especially extant readerships. The balance is wrong. There's a lot of writing for an audience. Even publishers asking prospective authors, "What's your market? Who did have in mind when you wrote this?" I quite like having my fancies indulged, rarely as it happens, but that seems to be what many people expect from their "entertainment."

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mrenda posted:

There's a lot of writing for an audience. Even publishers asking prospective authors, "What's your market? Who did have in mind when you wrote this?" I quite like having my fancies indulged, rarely as it happens, but that seems to be what many people expect from their "entertainment."

Yes, a capitalist society produces capitalist writers who produce capitalist fiction. Thats my point. The idea that idea that one doesn't need to concern oneself with craft because the book is meant to be a product to non-discerning audience is toxic and restrictive.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Life's too short for mediocrity.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
No matter how this RPO project turns out, the above Strange Horizons article was very validating for me. I've been wanting to write my Edgar Rice Burroughs-inspired novella both in his prose style and with the scientific understanding of the time being reality, regardless of whether that would remove some potential accessibility. So at the very least, this thread has accomplished that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, this thing isn't publishable anyway.

Why not just put together a definitive bible of what the goals and main changes should be, get volunteer goons to each rewrite a single chapter at a time, give them a 2 week timeframe to get it done (after which it reverts to unassigned), then compile the whole thing together and release it. That way people can choose the chapters they want, choose to write it in the way that they want, and feel like they have some ownership over the final thing. It becomes "How would I rewrite this part of this book were I the author?" rather than the current way of "How would chitoryu12 rewrite this part of the book were he the author?"

Your way just kind of makes it feel like "Why bother, if this guy is just going to tell me what to do then rewrite what I've done?" It also takes the burden off of you for having to edit everything. It democratizes it, but with a guiding hand. Then you can even reserve the right to rewrite it after the fact, but the "behind closed doors" aspect really seems like a barrier if anyone wants to put in any effort. That way it might actually get done. After all, this whole thing is supposed to be a fun experiment, right? Don't let this become like most goon projects that collapse under the weight of someone wanting too much control. Let the compiled version be wonky and uneven in its style and direction.

Also, that Strange Horizons article was very validating for me wanting to write my Edgar Rice Burroughs novella in his prose style regardless of that removing some potential accessibility. So at the very least, this thread has accomplished that.

This was part of the initial discussion on the concept before the project actually began. Here are the problems with a fully democratic novel:

1. Everyone has a different voice even if they try to imitate someone else, so the final product would seem like it was written by someone with multiple personality disorder and editing entire chapters to fit a consistent voice would be a lot harder than editing paragraphs. Having a wonky and uneven project would defeat the purpose of the project altogether, which is to make a coherent remake of an existing book.

2. It opens up the door to really, really bad writing. Being able to view and edit someone’s work before the final insertion lets someone who has a good idea get their idea in even if they’re struggling to write it, but letting people write whole chapters on their own as the final draft means you can end up with parts of the book looking lovely if the volunteer happens to be another Cline.

3. It also opens the door to creepy stuff. When I first proposed the idea, it took like 3 posts for someone to earnestly bring up virtual snuff, rape, and terrorist training in OASIS. Goons are gonna goon, and I wasn’t comfortable with letting contributions go without review.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

3. It also opens the door to creepy stuff. When I first proposed the idea, it took like 3 posts for someone to earnestly bring up virtual snuff, rape, and terrorist training in OASIS. Goons are gonna goon, and I wasn’t comfortable with letting contributions go without review.

You are bothered by the fact that a book ostensibly about a hyper-developed form of the internet would have the same problems as the internet?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
But none of those are problems.

This is not a publishable book. Nobody will ever stumble upon it without the knowledge of its history—and if they somehow do, I'd consider it a complete failure of the experiment to begin with. It will never land in a publisher's hands, so it doesn't have to be cohesive. Nobody is going to be turned off by the different voices, because the only people who read this will read it because they're interested in the nature of the experiment, not because they wish RPO were a better book. I'd argue that the most interesting part of this project is pulling together a number of interpretations for what the book could have been in different authors hands. If chapter 12 is creepy, let it be creepy. That will show the reader that the book could have been even worse. If chapter 25 is amazing, let it be amazing, regardless of whether it clashes with your vision or your interpretation of the characters or what you decided in your chapters. It will show the reader the heights the book could have reached. If you just want people to come out of this having read a better version of Ready Player One, I have to ask... why? What inherent value does that have? The experiment and the democratization of an unpublishable work is the interesting part of this.

If you want this to be a cohesive work with a singular voice, write it yourself. There's no point in crowdsourcing it at that point.

e: An exquisite corpse of an existing novel is a really cool idea. A better version of Ready Player One is kinda hollow and artless.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 18, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Its a good point

A collaborative work is an exercise in writing more than it could ever be something intended to be read

If you just want a better version of RPO, write it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I understand the mindset of wanting to show up a best-selling book with a better version. I also understand wanting to get the whole goon gang to come in with everything for a HUGE party. What I don't understand is how you expect the first to have anything to do with the second. The way it is right now - and I know that you aren't really thinking this way - is actually more like an idea guy getting some vague thoughts about a totally awesome game into his head and then asking around developer forums for a team of programmers who can help him out by doing The Work.

• Locked thread