Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

Halloween Jack posted:

I think when you use a Soul Gem you're basically burning a fuel source to forge an enchanted item or power one. So what ends up in the Soul Cairn is a pale, helpless, depleted creature.

Otherwise, using soul gems is flat-out obliterating a soul for convenience, which is way more grimdark.

I don't know. Non-existence might be preferable to being an imprisoned consciousness, stripped of everything that defines it (presumably all memories/experiences, capacity to understand what is happening to it, etc), forever.

I wonder what the ability to trap Vivec's soul in a gem means in terms of Dragon Breaks, etc. Is Vivec both trapped in a soul gem and not trapped in one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

axolotl farmer posted:

I want to hear more about this.

according to anonymous insiders and corroborated with "videos of the game" they went way too bonkers with their custom assets and added like 30000 poly trees and poo poo to make crazy looking screenshots and really cluttered the hell out of the landscapes. a rock or a tree or a plant every few inches. interiors work OK, exteriors are 20 fps or slideshow until they redo some of the areas.

it's a fantastic screenshot simulator though lol

notice how all of their showoff public videos are "caves and mines" and try to take place in as many interiors as possible

heres a good twitch vid that shows uh.....balmora and lag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqg8b97_djQ&t=1929s

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I preferred thinking that my sword was causing fire damage because I haphazardly strapped a Minotaur soul to it.

At least bound weapons are still technically Daedra right?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

I wonder what the ability to trap Vivec's soul in a gem means in terms of Dragon Breaks, etc. Is Vivec both trapped in a soul gem and not trapped in one?

since he is both in time and outside of time, i think you are correct

mortal vivec would be trapped/annihilated/whatever while immortal vivec, who is both momentary and eternal, remains

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I never played any Elder Scrolls games before Skyrim, so I don't know what the mythology has to do with Vivec Chibber. But I'm glad you guys are into it, international solidarity is important.

Nasgate posted:

I preferred thinking that my sword was causing fire damage because I haphazardly strapped a Minotaur soul to it.
It just seems fitting to me that when you use a soul to power a flaming sword or whatever, you're doing something extremely inefficient, from a technical point of view, and extremely short sighted from a philosophical point of view, making a soul into a can of kerosene.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

If the Soul Cairn was any indicator, though perhaps less so for bestial souls, soul trapping is somewhat of contract or conduit through which one taps into the power of Aetherius, in the same way one taps into the power flowing into Mundus via the Eye of Magnus and related magicka lore concepts. So, it’s less of a can of kerosene and more of a battery powered wi-fi dongle that is downloading fire into your sword.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Isn’t there some lore from Battlespire that clarifies that the souls in the Cairn aren’t those used for enchanting, but rather they were sold to the Ideal Masters for... I dunno, necromancy stuff? I know that in Battlespire a lot of the ghosts and skeletons seem pretty happy to be there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well, Serana says she thinks that only black souls go to the Soul Cairn. That doesn't explain why there are some ghost cows there, or Arvak. But ghost cows are funny, and Arvak is Such a Good Horse.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, Serana says she thinks that only black souls go to the Soul Cairn. That doesn't explain why there are some ghost cows there, or Arvak. But ghost cows are funny, and Arvak is Such a Good Horse.

Arvak was a horse with a sentient soul

The Humanborn

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Some people thought it'd be a good idea to fill black soul gems with cow souls I suppose.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Some people thought it'd be a good idea to fill black soul gems with cow souls I suppose.

They represent the times that mages without Azura's Star would soul trap creatures and have the soul immediately inhabit their most expensive gem god dammit

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That makes as much sense as anything else. Necromancers do weird poo poo for no reason.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Its kind of weird that necromancers are treated by writers as big evil wizards if black gems just transport you to a party tower. That sounds way better than what happens to all the other unfortunate trapped souls

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't really know all the lore, all I know is that sealing Maro's soul seemed an apt punishment for what he did to my dark brothers and sisters. And I put the gem in a trophy case in my house so I hope that means he's suffering eternally.

I loved the DB questline, most emotional part of Skyrim to me.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I hope you soul trapped the Emperor too.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mountaineer posted:

I hope you soul trapped the Emperor too.

It's bad form to soul trap your clients.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
Minor theorycraft: According to C0da, vivec returns in the 24th century to marry the starship enterprise, or whatever, but it's generally accepted that Vivec somehow maintains his god powers. My theory is that once Vivec lost his power when cut off from The Heart, he went and did what the "official story" of the tribunal temple was. IIRC in morrowind, the tribunal temple says that ALMSIVI achieved apotheosis through virtue, sacrifice, hard livin and questing and poo poo. I think that Vivec did that. That's why he's disappeared. just a thought. Also i think that the mudcrab merchant is a shezzarine

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

If you soul trap the mud crab merchant does it fill a regular or black soul gem...?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Jeff Goldblum posted:

If you soul trap the mud crab merchant does it fill a regular or black soul gem...?

1) It's classified as a creature, so white
2) There are no black soul gems in Morrowind
3) Vivec is also classified as a creature in the CS and thus can fill a soul gem

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Cantorsdust posted:

1) It's classified as a creature, so white
2) There are no black soul gems in Morrowind
3) Vivec is also classified as a creature in the CS and thus can fill a soul gem

So I decided to start the Civil War purely to get Ulfric and Growly to shut the gently caress up after spending 30 minutes running in and out of the Palace of Kings during blood on the ice.

Amusing as mishearing "Then let them die with their false kings" as "Then let them die with their foreskins" was it got old.

Goddamn they really hosed this whole questline up.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Is there a big "Legion or Stormcloaks?" debate I can go back and read, or should I start it all over again? Because I frankly like the Empire more than Ulfric's movement, but of course I hate the Thalmor more than anything.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

So I decided to start the Civil War purely to get Ulfric and Growly to shut the gently caress up after spending 30 minutes running in and out of the Palace of Kings during blood on the ice.

Amusing as mishearing "Then let them die with their false kings" as "Then let them die with their foreskins" was it got old.

Goddamn they really hosed this whole questline up.

even worse is the lauded "civil war overhaul" mod did little more than increase the length of the battles and increase the number of battles total

idk how you mess up a civil war that bad lol, not like there's any real repercussions either way

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Halloween Jack posted:

Is there a big "Legion or Stormcloaks?" debate I can go back and read, or should I start it all over again? Because I frankly like the Empire more than Ulfric's movement, but of course I hate the Thalmor more than anything.

If it helps any, the Empire hates the Thalmor as well, but have to play by their rules because they know they're not strong enough to face them militarily yet. Ulfric works for/with the Thalmor on occasion, and started this whole civil war as a power play to see him the high king, and not as an independance revolt.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean if you want to side with the dudes who were about to chop your head off after acknowledging they had no paperwork saying they had to, knock yourself out dude.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The civil war questline was apparently supposed to be a lot more complex, but they cut out most of it. Same with the mage storyline.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Can't I just kill everyone and make myself king of everything?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Halloween Jack posted:

Ulfric is fighting for the religious freedom of his people, the Empire is a bunch of elf-lovers, who can't get enough of Thalmor cock in their throats.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Even despite being portrayed as the Good Guys that you're defending in multiple games the empire has incompetence'd their way to world-cataclysmic events multiple times, and historically IRL trying to forcibly homogenize multiple ethnic groups under one culture......usually doesn't work

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Halloween Jack posted:

Sadly not, but like always, there's a mod to make yourself high king.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Neurolimal posted:

Even despite being portrayed as the Good Guys that you're defending in multiple games the empire has incompetence'd their way to world-cataclysmic events multiple times, and historically IRL trying to forcibly homogenize multiple ethnic groups under one culture......usually doesn't work

It worked for the Empire for about 400 years.

Yeah the Altmer nursed a grudge but don't discount that the Empire was very succesful.

There is a great spirited debate but fundamentally it's your choice.

Just don't come crying to me when you side with Ulfric and hear the hurt in Balgruuf the Greater's voice when you betray him and realize that you chose incorrectly.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Sky Shadowing posted:

Just don't come crying to me when you side with Ulfric and hear the hurt in Balgruuf the Greater's voice when you betray him and realize that you chose incorrectly.

The actual reason I don't side with the Stormcloaks.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Halloween Jack posted:

Install the Yes Man mod

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

There's literally no valid reason to join the stormcloaks if you're not a dumb racist.

If you're religious, Talos is the empire of man.
If you hate Thalmor, a united empire is better.
If you care about Skyrim, the Empire ensures better trade and more fair laws.
If you're not a Nord, stormcloaks want you dead.
If you're a poor Nord, stormcloaks want you dead.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Just remember that the Thalmor absolutely love Ulfric's war and are doing everything they can to encourage it to weaken the empire. There's evidence in their embassy that they're directly manipulating Ulfric, probably without his conscious knowledge, and might have given him the idea in the first place.

Basically if you support the Stormcloaks you are 100% a pawn of the Thalmor carrying out their will. Chump.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
These vagaries are making it difficult to determine the best path to ruling the entire world from my sweet vampire castle.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nasgate posted:

There's literally no valid reason to join the stormcloaks if you're not a dumb racist.

If you're religious, Talos is the empire of man.
If you hate Thalmor, a united empire is better.
If you care about Skyrim, the Empire ensures better trade and more fair laws.
If you're not a Nord, stormcloaks want you dead.
If you're a poor Nord, stormcloaks want you dead.

lol this thalmor sympathizer

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Halloween Jack posted:

These vagaries are making it difficult to determine the best path to ruling the entire world from my sweet vampire castle.

There's a mod with a little mini-quest that gives you a kick rear end vampire castle not far from Whiterun

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Neurolimal posted:

In Tamriel ethnicity recapitulates culture: significant changes to a culture correspond with (result in?) physical changes as well. Cf the Chimer and Dunmer (and imho Dwemer), Orc legends of their own origins, the Bretons, arguably the Nords and Imperials themselves. Though I agree a single united human culture still seems impossible and a terrible idea, even with dragons and magic

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Randaconda posted:

There's a mod with a little mini-quest that gives you a kick rear end vampire castle not far from Whiterun

Which one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The best part of how bad the civil war is just walking into Ulfric's throne room and talking to him after helping the Empire take back everywhere else. And then like purchasing housing from his steward. Even better if you do it wearing his buddy's armour.

Neurolimal posted:

I mean if we're bringing RL into this then the only moral and ethical answer is as always, to kill the people yelling for an ethnostate and selling themselves as "True [INSERT NATIONALITY}".