Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I still think fondly back of paying for an MMO with Subway cards. The employees at the Subway were starting to get suspicious because I bought so many, but never any subs.

I think I eventually explained it as using them as a prize for office raffles or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Haquer posted:

Isn't that the same game that has like mandatory "cosmetics" because they give bonus stats?

Or am I thinking of another lovely Korean mmo

the bonuses are imperceptible for the most part and you are mostly spending 60 bucks to look like big tittied angel punching things to dust

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
So to clarify the answer was "yes"?

E: well less yes to mandatory and more yes to useful """'cosmetic"""" items I guess but yeah

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Underwear gives you 1 luck, which no one loving knows how it works or if it even works in the first place. You get 3 luck permanently to all your characters unlocking titles in the game you can get 2 extra luck by equipping gems but no one loving knows if luck even works so no one bothers. Clothes gives you 10% extra combat exp, you can get upwards of 300% extra with items they hand out so an extra 10% is pretty imperceptible when you are grinding poo poo for 14 hours or something. Pets are infinitely more useful than either of those two since they actively cut down on the time you are kneeling to loot and some cut your harvesting time.

Nothing in BDO is remotely as bad as cash shop skill sets or buying ding directly from the games store. So if you survived wushu you can survive just about anything korea throws at you.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Underwear gives you 1 luck, which no one loving knows how it works or if it even works in the first place. You get 3 luck permanently to all your characters unlocking titles in the game you can get 2 extra luck by equipping gems but no one loving knows if luck even works so no one bothers. Clothes gives you 10% extra combat exp, you can get upwards of 300% extra with items they hand out so an extra 10% is pretty imperceptible when you are grinding poo poo for 14 hours or something. Pets are infinitely more useful than either of those two since they actively cut down on the time you are kneeling to loot and some cut your harvesting time.

Nothing in BDO is remotely as bad as cash shop skill sets or buying ding directly from the games store. So if you survived wushu you can survive just about anything korea throws at you.

They had a patch a few months back where they finally explained luck and investing into nodes iirc

The worst part of BDO is the leveling

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

:allears: beautiful

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

angerbeet posted:

I still think fondly back of paying for an MMO with Subway cards. The employees at the Subway were starting to get suspicious because I bought so many, but never any subs.

I think I eventually explained it as using them as a prize for office raffles or something.

The advice is years late, but you could reload the subway card online. Wushu players and money launderers are probably the only people who have ever done that.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

angerbeet posted:

I like explaining in an honest and straightforward manner what Age Of Wushu was about.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I like explaining in an honest and straightforward manner what Age Of Wushu was about.

Every time I mention an Age of Wushu story I get groans from Goons that never played.

Same Goons played Eve so they have no room to talk though :colbert:

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Haquer posted:

Every time I mention an Age of Wushu story I get groans from Goons that never played.

"Age of Wushu? What is this Chinese bullshit?" - Russian dude who funded the entire loving east with GTC's in EVE because he was some IRL mining tycoon worth 100s of millions. :colbert:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Asians whale like this, but Russians whale like that.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Heh, "new".

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Haquer posted:

They don't understand, because they weren't there man! Telling people you played a buggy rear end MMO that allowed you to shout in random pics and then you formed a goonball and used giant billboards demanding money as camouflage while stealing poo poo from the Shaolin makes for an amazing story.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I hardly even took part in goon shenanigans but it was just a really chill game to run around in and sightsee.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I hardly even took part in goon shenanigans but it was just a really chill game to run around in and sightsee.

I really liked taking a newbie under my wing teaching them a lot of useful things and then encouraging them to join a viet guild.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I really liked taking a newbie under my wing teaching them a lot of useful things and then encouraging them to join a viet guild.

Hearts and minds

I found it weird how many people came back to me telling me I trained their mentor so they want to fight me to see how I compare.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I wasn't aware that you trained anyone. Then again all I ever did was craft and get drunk and arrested for the sake of goonunism.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I sat in royal guards teaching new players how to use other skills than chain.

Also later on, they gave you a mentorship where if your internal was higher than theirs, you could train with them to make them progress faster.

One of the buffs you gave your mentee was more HP and during mount hoo haa some guys were offering me money to be their mentor since I was the only royal guard who maxed up our second internal since it was yin. They wanted a sweet edge in hp.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
I remember reggin ruthlessly beating the poo poo out of my Kung Fu man and pretending like he was training me.

I think I was one of the few crazy enough to use eagle claw style because your main damage source being mauling someone in the dick will never get old.

Oh also the debuff that made people randomly fall out of the sky, which allowed more dick punching.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I played shaolin even though everyone said it sucked because as a goon I identify with bald virgins

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Double Monocle posted:

I remember reggin ruthlessly beating the poo poo out of my Kung Fu man and pretending like he was training me.

I think I was one of the few crazy enough to use eagle claw style because your main damage source being mauling someone in the dick will never get old.

Oh also the debuff that made people randomly fall out of the sky, which allowed more dick punching.

I played a Scholar but got the entire Eagle Claw style precisely for those reasons

The Demon style or whatever it was called was also great for similar reasons because of the fly-disabling poison field, plus the suicide bomb ultimate

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

What game is that?

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

throw to first drat IT posted:

What game is that?

Moonblade Online

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Tarezax posted:

I played a Scholar but got the entire Eagle Claw style precisely for those reasons

The Demon style or whatever it was called was also great for similar reasons because of the fly-disabling poison field, plus the suicide bomb ultimate

Poisoner bottled goon sweat style = best style.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Double Monocle posted:

That counts as training

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

I played shaolin even though everyone said it sucked because as a goon I identify with bald virgins

Though as we all know, Beggar was the best school because you could drunk fight and also puke on people.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Bullshit.

Ride the Tang!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I played WV because I liked not having to spend time in the penalty box unless I attacked another WV. Bone Corroding Palm's AoE was great in base defense.

Heartcatch posted:

Though as we all know, Beggar was the best school because you could drunk fight and also puke on people.

:yeah:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'll never forget starting out Royal Guard in this game and waiting at that bridge out of town for other new people to claw the hell out of, my time between 'Starting the game' and 'Red, almost purple before I stopped, wanted level' had to have been a record. Nobody cared enough to help those low-level fuckos anyway though, so it petered out and I never went to jail until much later, then I wanna say I got broken out when some other guy did so I beat the rap in spirit.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

I had RG alt parked in Emei waterfall meditation place and if I was bored, I would send all the people AFKing there into the water far below. Good times.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Goon spying was actually quite fun, given how the nerds usually wandering the every school's area would try to fight the first goon that they saw and inevitably be jumped by three other goons hiding in the rafters above them. :ninja:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

God loving damnit you assholes make me want to reinstall this dead terrible game.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

hailthefish posted:

God loving damnit you assholes make me want to reinstall this dead terrible game.

They merged all the EU servers into the US server and the made a new one then merged it and now I think maybe another new one is there.

Don't play unless you want to become one of the 100 people playing since all there are left are massive pay2wins

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007

What's the latest chinagame.exe we are pining our hopes for?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
Nothing go play Runescape

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007

Haquer posted:

Nothing go play Runescape

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Heartcatch posted:

Fun styles but I'm not sure why we needed stacks of resources to do our moves while everyone else could just do their combos without building anything up. I think it was a rough few days before I got a beggar to teach me how to fight properly with our styles and oddly enough I learned about the crying stick bonus damage from a beggar in a viet guild.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
AoW is probably the first game that made me realize how bad my skills have gotten. I would get so frustrated with how bad I was at PvP. Then a buddy of mine started playing and powergamed up a Tang that used darts and all kinds of cheap skills and he was basically unstoppable, and I just lost the will to play.

Which is a real shame because it was magical. Anyone remember that gigantic snake in a cavern way out in the middle of nowhere, for no reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The inexplicable snake cave in Tangmen that clearly was meant to have a purpose but never did?