Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Orange Devil posted:

It's a landlocked country bordered on all sides by countries it is stealing from. What I'm saying is it's a country literally weeks away from mass starvation if it decides to gently caress with us.

Don't they make chocolates though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ah yes, the state of Lake Michigan.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Heat map measuring gun deaths or disbelief in climate change

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Count Roland posted:

Ah yes, the state of Lake Michigan.
Bad?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are only four (North American) Great Lakes.

Michigan–Huron is one lake.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Apparently the western end of Lake Erie is just a giant algae bloom now.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Whiz Palace posted:

Apparently the western end of Lake Erie is just a giant algae bloom now.

Lawns need to be fertilized.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Isn't Lake Michigan the only one that's fully under US sovreignty?

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Incredible shrinking Luxembourg:

necessary to clean up those borders, imho

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Guavanaut posted:

Also wealthy and well connected enough to set up some kind of Bern Airlift though.

You'd think that, but if France were to participate in a very hypothetical EU blockade of Switzerland, it'd screw up two major Swiss airports out of three.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Geneva is completely surrounded by France. I've always been surprised that they never grabbed it.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Phlegmish posted:

Geneva is completely surrounded by France. I've always been surprised that they never grabbed it.

The same reason Switzerland has survived as independent in general, Alps.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Phlegmish posted:

They got Mulhouse!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Look if Anthony Hopkins could bring a bunch of elephants over the Alps back in caveman times then they wouldn't even slow down the awesome might of the French military.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

They tried: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Escalade

They got soup poured on them and went back home.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The Swiss do not have a navy, but they do have army units with boats.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Maxwells Demon posted:

They tried: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Escalade

They got soup poured on them and went back home.

Fun fact, Savoy wasn't annexed by France until about a month after the battle of Fort Sumter.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

The Swiss do not have a navy, but they do have army units with boats.

Hard to supply Switzerland from the Bodensee though.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Well, the whole place smells like cheez doodles (cheese fondue) and there's no place that accepts credit cards, and there are like 5 ATMs total in the whole city.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

Hard to supply Switzerland from the Bodensee though.

Pretty reasonable to supply Switzerland through the Gotthard and San Bernardino though, and lol at the thought of the Italians ever doing anything effectively, let alone a blockade. I mean hell even in WW2 they couldn't manage it and the Germans had to conquer Italy to run their border force.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Randarkman posted:

Well, the whole place smells like cheez doodles (cheese fondue)

I'm not sure why you think that, of all things, would deter the French.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Kassad posted:

I'm not sure why you think that, of all things, would deter the French.

depends if it's american cheese or not

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yes, the Swiss invented American cheese in 1350.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Soviet Commubot posted:

Fun fact, Savoy wasn't annexed by France until about a month after the battle of Fort Sumter.

Fun fact: the country Joan of Arc came from wasn't annexed by France until about a month before the repeal of the Stamp Act.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Fun fact: the country Joan of Arc came from wasn't annexed by France until about a month before the repeal of the Stamp Act.

Except it was definitely part of the medieval kingdom of France, that whole area was complicated anyway, because of dual loyalties and stuff like that, but she specifically came from the French part of the county of Bar. The whole thing sure. But the part where she was born was part of France.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Well, it wasn't formally a part of the kingdom, but still belonged to the fiefdoms of the King of France. Another fun fact: King Charles VII asked Joan of Arc what she wanted as payment for saving the kingdom, but she had only one request: that the burden of taxes was lifted from the people of her native village of Domrémy. Charles complied, and for 360 years the villagers never paid a single livre in taxes until the revolution came and put an end to that.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

System Metternich posted:

Well, it wasn't formally a part of the kingdom, but still belonged to the fiefdoms of the King of France. Another fun fact: King Charles VII asked Joan of Arc what she wanted as payment for saving the kingdom, but she had only one request: that the burden of taxes was lifted from the people of her native village of Domrémy. Charles complied, and for 360 years the villagers never paid a single livre in taxes until the revolution came and put an end to that.

Not quite the same, but this reminded me a bit of how the Spanish dealt with the Tlaxcala after Cortés conquered the Aztecs. I was very surprised to learn that the Spanish actually basically honored a bunch of agreements entered into with them after their decisive contribution to helping Cortés overthrow the Aztecs. They kept their original territory, though somewhat enlarged, and with the exception of being converted to Christianity were allowed to administer themselves, using their own language largely free of direct Spanish rule. I think I even read something sometime on them being part of later colonization efforts in the northern parts of New Spain (though can't find that on wikipedia quickly now searching, so take that with a grain of salt). This remained the situation pretty much all the way down to Mexican independence (they also of course suffered a sharp population decline due to disease over the period).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Every medieval polity was complicated and granular, that's why hyperbolic oversimplifications are fun. See: Angevin Empire.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/karaweeks_/status/986306004894744576

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Here is a link to the original: https://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/NJinvitesYou_1955.gif

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Some of those locations are, uh, pretty wrong.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

It is very weird that this ad for 1955 doesn't show the Turnpike or the bridge to Delaware that had already been completed .

Shibby0709
Oct 30, 2011

one fat looking fat guy

Randarkman posted:

Not quite the same, but this reminded me a bit of how the Spanish dealt with the Tlaxcala after Cortés conquered the Aztecs. I was very surprised to learn that the Spanish actually basically honored a bunch of agreements entered into with them after their decisive contribution to helping Cortés overthrow the Aztecs. They kept their original territory, though somewhat enlarged, and with the exception of being converted to Christianity were allowed to administer themselves, using their own language largely free of direct Spanish rule. I think I even read something sometime on them being part of later colonization efforts in the northern parts of New Spain (though can't find that on wikipedia quickly now searching, so take that with a grain of salt). This remained the situation pretty much all the way down to Mexican independence (they also of course suffered a sharp population decline due to disease over the period).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tlaxcaltec?wprov=sfla1

"The Tlaxcaltecs were also instrumental in the establishment of a number of settlements in Northern Mexico (including parts of present-day southeastern Texas), where conquest of local tribes by the Spaniards had proved unfruitful. They were taken to areas inhabited by nomadic bellicose tribes (known as the Chichimeca) to serve as examples for the local indigenous groups of sedentary model subjects of the Spanish Crown and to work in mines and haciendas.

The Tlaxcaltec colonies in the Chichimeca included settlements in the modern states of San Luis Potosí, Zacatecas, Durango, Coahuila, Nuevo León—Nueva Tlaxcala de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe de Horcasistas, today known as Guadalupe, and Santiago de las Sabinas, today known as Sabinas Hidalgo—and Jalisco (Villa de Nueva Tlaxcala de Quiahuistlán, today known as Colotlán)."

I know also, from personal experience, that the oldest buildings in Santa Fe, New Mexico (and thus among the oldest buildings in the entire nation) were built by Tlaxcaltecan workers whp travelled with the original Spanish missionaries.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

fishmech posted:

It is very weird that this ad for 1955 doesn't show the Turnpike or the bridge to Delaware that had already been completed .

It seems to be a rather, um, specialized map.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, the Swiss invented American cheese in 1350.

FINALLY THE TRUTH REVEALED

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Foucault’s New Jersey .gif

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Powered Descent posted:

It seems to be a rather, um, specialized map.

That's the thing though, the Delaware Memorial Bridge would be the "short way from the South" you'd want to take, and you'd use the upper Turnpike to get from the north down to the shore roads. One of the ferries the map reccomends would have been discontinued by the time the map was out and the other would be shortly thereafter.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I know nothing about China and cannot say how accurate any of these are; this just kind of turned up on Imgur.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
What's the hot, spice eating, panda infested region?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Sichuan.