Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I doubt that they want to keep paying RDJ $40 million a year for 10 minute cameos or release a movie with a 64-year old Iron Man.

They wouldn't be paying RDJ $40 mil for cameos, not sure where you get that idea.

And yea, I'm certain they'd be more than happy to make a movie with 64 year old Iron Man if it were Downey Jr. returning to the role after ten years. Why does it matter if he's 64? It's not like he's beating people up with kung fu or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Basebf555 posted:

They wouldn't be paying RDJ $40 mil for cameos, not sure where you get that idea.

And yea, I'm certain they'd be more than happy to make a movie with 64 year old Iron Man if it were Downey Jr. returning to the role after ten years. Why does it matter if he's 64? It's not like he's beating people up with kung fu or anything.

I just think it is unlikely that they would neuter two of their big event movies for the possibility of a 64-year old Iron Man revival in 10 years.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I still want a Sam Raimi Spider-Man 4 in ten years with an old, out of shape Tobey Macguire.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I just think it is unlikely that they would neuter two of their big event movies for the possibility of a 64-year old Iron Man revival in 10 years.

neuter how?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

By having everybody turn out okay, but they decide that they are going to live on a farm somewhere for 10 years to prepare for the Senior Citizen Avengers Reunion movie in 2031.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I mean, if they have some big successful new incarnation of Iron Man and they feel there's no need or reason for RDJ to return, they won't do it. I'm just anticipating that they will not be able to replace these actors as seamlessly as they're hoping to, and in 5 years or so they'll be considering ways to get the old "magic" back.

By having everybody turn out okay, but they decide that they are going to live on a farm somewhere for 10 years to prepare for the Senior Citizen Avengers Reunion movie in 2031.

I don't think they care about this or think of it as "neutering" the movie, it's just standard operating procedure.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

well, that's basically what iron man 3 should've been so with everything that's come since involving that character being a huge repetitive mess i dunno that i'd agree with you on that one

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I still want a Sam Raimi Spider-Man 4 in ten years with an old, out of shape Tobey Macguire.

Thanos gets all of the Infinity Stones and destroys all the multiverses to create one perfect universe.

There is an hour long film-within-a-film B Plot of Toby Maguire in one of the multiverses struggling to save the world after discovering that Rogaine and his blood pressure medication neuter his powers.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, it's not like that's just a lie. The film is clearly influenced by those movies in a significant way, it just doesn't resemble them at all in the end. I don't think anyone ever assumed he meant otherwise. Except maybe you?

About the only influence that sub-genre has on Winter Soldier is Robert Redford playing against type as the heavy.

Basebf555 posted:

He got $40 million plus backend participation for Civil War, but for what was really an extended cameo in Homecoming (his screentime is something like eight minutes), he still pocketed $15 million. So either way you cut it, he's getting anywhere from like $700K - $1.5 million per minute in Marvel poo poo.

Good work if you can get it.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
If Tony does die, I'm still holding out hope for my dumb Iron Man 2020 movie dreams to come to pass. They put out that comic 30 years ago, finally time to pay it off with a new movie trilogy with someone new in the suit, Arno Stark or not. Rhodey, Shuri or whomever would be good enough for me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

He got $40 million plus backend participation for Civil War, but for what was really an extended cameo in Homecoming (his screentime is something like eight minutes), he still pocketed $15 million. So either way you cut it, he's getting anywhere from like $700K - $1.5 million per minute in Marvel poo poo.

That's because he's still a main player and under contract with Marvel though, once all that ends they aren't going to be coming to him asking for 5 minute cameos and offering 40 million.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

That's because he's still a main player and under contract with Marvel though, once all that ends they aren't going to be coming to him asking for 5 minute cameos and offering 40 million.

He's been movie-to-movie, contractually, ever since Iron Man 3, negotiating a new deal every time (his original contract was for three Iron Man movies and The Avengers, so they had to give him a dump truck full of money to get him to do poo poo like Age of Ultron and Civil War).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Basebf555 posted:

He has even more leverage to ask for ridiculous amounts of money for cameos if he isn't under contract. He also hasn't signed any multi-picture contracts since his Iron Man 3 one ended.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It's a comic book movie, there's a ton of ways they could make a character disappear but still leave open the possibility that they'll return a couple of years down the line. They don't even need to leave a window open, they can just pull a Fast & Furious 6 / Justice League and go "Nah they weren't really dead" or "Yeah they died but we brought them back with [magic science]".

And if they were feeling really lazy they could pull a X-Men: Days of Future Past and just bring a character back from the dead without even bothering to explain how it happened.

quote:

According to the writers of The Last Stand (though the movie itself doesn't reveal this), apparently Xavier had a comatose twin brother, and he simply transferred his mind to this handy back-up shell.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

He's been movie-to-movie, contractually, ever since Iron Man 3, negotiating a new deal every time (his original contract was for three Iron Man movies and The Avengers, so they had to give him a dump truck full of money to get him to do poo poo like Age of Ultron and Civil War).

What I'm saying is the motivation won't be there anymore to pay him that much for cameos, because he won't be such a core part of the Avengers anymore. For something like Spiderman Homecoming he acts as a connection between Spiderman and the wider MCU. Once they have other actors to fill that spot they won't be so desperate for RDJ that they need to offer millions for 5 minutes of screen time. At least that's the plan, like I said I still expect that they'll get desperate enough at some point and try to get him back for a reunion.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Timby posted:

About the only influence that sub-genre has on Winter Soldier is Robert Redford playing against type as the heavy.

There's also no way he's not getting first dollar gross points. Dude's probably pocketing an extra several dozen million off that, especially on the billion grossers.

The moment he and his lawyers and agent realized they had Disney/Marvel over a barrel, they really went to town. It's almost admirable that he has squeezed the biggest studio in the world for everything he can get. It's not as ridiculous as Tarantino making like $70 million off of Basterds (because he was producer, director, and writer, essentially retained ownership of the IP, and didn't take any upfront pay to make it, he had a massive back end point setup that paid off very well when that movie crossed $300 million, and then he probably got even more off of Django's success), or the period in the 80s and 90s when Spielberg made a couple dollars off every ticket to get into Universal Studios, but that RDJ has to be yanking out of their pockets from both sides while also throwing his weight around to bump pay up for his co-stars is a pretty good use of his power.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Cameo posted:

There's also no way he's not getting first dollar gross points. Dude's probably pocketing an extra several dozen million off that, especially on the billion grossers.

The moment he and his lawyers and agent realized they had Disney/Marvel over a barrel, they really went to town. It's almost admirable that he has squeezed the biggest studio in the world for everything he can get. It's not as ridiculous as Tarantino making like $70 million off of Basterds (because he was producer, director, and writer, essentially retained ownership of the IP, and didn't take any upfront pay to make it, he had a massive back end point setup that paid off very well when that movie crossed $300 million, and then he probably got even more off of Django's success), or the period in the 80s and 90s when Spielberg made a couple dollars off every ticket to get into Universal Studios, but that RDJ has to be yanking out of their pockets from both sides while also throwing his weight around to bump pay up for his co-stars is a pretty good use of his power.

Oh, absolutely, like I said, it's good work if you can get it. To his credit, when he was approached to do Civil War, he was blatantly clear with Disney that he wanted a zillion bucks and full script approval. And since the iconic image of Civil War is Cap and Stark fighting, Disney couldn't exactly say no. Dude is master of his domain at this point, and he's come a long way from doing Iron Man for peanuts (go back and watch that movie again, his goatee changes from scene to scene like he couldn't figure out how he wanted to style it).

And, yeah, him refusing to do Age of Ultron unless everyone got a serious pay hike (the money that Johansson, Renner and Ruffalo, in particular, got for The Avengers was a bad joke) was about as classy of a move as it gets, basically telling Disney, "gently caress you, this movie is going to make more money than God and we both know it, you can give people a legitimate payday."

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Yestermoment posted:

IMDb has never been the best standard. I could have My Balls listed in the credits.

...then why don’t you? Why don’t we all? My God it’s right there...

Avengers 4
Captain America: Chris Evans
Thor: Chris Hemsworth
Sandwiched Testicles: My Balls
Star lord: Chris Pratt

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The Dave posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they take “the new avengers” to try and set up the new characters and because all the other dudes will be dead.

Maybe, but wha would that even look like? Which "new" characters are even left that anyone cares about? I'm not sure how they'll handle it to be honest but weaving the FF or the X-men into the universe in place of any fallen Avengers makes a modicum of sense.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Maybe, but wha would that even look like? Which "new" characters are even left that anyone cares about? I'm not sure how they'll handle it to be honest but weaving the FF or the X-men into the universe in place of any fallen Avengers makes a modicum of sense.

Yea I think one possibility would be for them to use the inevitable recasting of certain X-Men as a selling point, like hey come see Avengers 6: Celestials for the debut of Alden Ehrenreich as Wolverine!

Nobody gives a poo poo about the Fantastic Four though.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Black panther, doc strange, spider-man, presumably captain marvel

e: star lord if he sticks around on earth, ant man and the wasp; basically they could very easily do a new avengers with zero overlap from the first two movies

Brother Entropy fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 18, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

What's everyone's (non-Ryan Reynolds) Dead Pool for next week look like?

Mine is:

- Loki
- Vision
- Heimdal/the last Asguardians
- Hawkeye (some people think his family, but I bet Hawkeye bites it and they are fine)
- Glaive and Obsidian (if not all 5 of The Order)
- Nebula
- Glenn Close
- Sean Gunn
- Nick Fury
- The Collector

Wildcard: Hulk

There's a lot of "maybes" that I could definitely see, but I'm not confident enough to put in my pool. (Cap/Tony/Thanos/Scarlet Witch/Black Widow/Wong/Gamora/Thor/M'Baku/Mantis)

Spider-Man is contractually forbidden from dying in a Marvel movie and Strange/T'Challa have active plans for sequels, so I think they are safe. Guardians have plans for a sequel, but Gunn has hinted that it may not be all the same cast. I think they are all (definitely Starlord at least) probably okay, regardless.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 18, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I wouldn't be shocked if Drax bites it. He's a one-note character and that note was played into the loving ground in Guardians 2.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if Drax bites it. He's a one-note character and that note was played into the loving ground in Guardians 2.

On the other hand, Batista's star is pretty much only growing as time goes on, and dude actually has some serious chops. I could see them trying to expand the character instead of just going "welp he's played out" and killing him off.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Definitely die:
Vision

Likely die:
Iron Man
Captain America
Hawkeye
Loki

Could go either way:
Winter Soldier/White Wolf
Hulk
Scarlet Witch
Drax
Nebula
Nick Fury
M'Baku

Likely safe:
Thor
War Machine
Falcon
Mantis

Definitely safe:
Doctor Strange
Black Panther
Black Widow
Star Lord
Gamora
Rocket Racoon
Groot
Spider Man

Wow, honestly, I was expecting a much larger speculative dead list, but when I started actually thinking about it, it feels like a lot more feel like they are definitely safe than I expected.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Have the comics ever even shown that it's even possible to kill Hulk? I'm sure it's been done at one point or another but I also know that Banner can't really die because as soon as he's about to he just immediately turns into the Hulk.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I'll be happy as long as they kill Red Skull and The Mandarin.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Falcon, Bucky maybe, Spiderman, Ms. Marvel, Strange, Black Panther, Ant Man, basically all the people who clearly have sequels coming up or could easily be passed the torch. poo poo Falcon should just become the next Cap when it comes down to it.

Obviously a lot of that cast are technically Avengers now, but I think it's more about shedding that original team/leadership. Hulk is in a weird place though in that he's probably not needed but provides for good action scenes and can be all CG if needed.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Have the comics ever even shown that it's even possible to kill Hulk? I'm sure it's been done at one point or another but I also know that Banner can't really die because as soon as he's about to he just immediately turns into the Hulk.

He died permanently during Civil War 2 a couple years ago.

But he's back now and they said no he can't ever die. There's a new series called Immortal Hulk where Banner dies all the time but comes back as Hulk at night.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Drax isn't gonna die, James Gunn is already working on Guardians 3

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I feel like there is going to be a mass culling of the "major" supporting characters like Heimdal, Mantis, Loki, Happy, Bucky, The Collector, War Machine, Wong, Hawkeye, Fury, Vision, etc.

Not necessarily all those specific characters, though.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 18, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I don’t see them messing with GOTG. It has too much crossover success, even with crowds that aren’t super into the MCU. It kind of occupies the same space Wonder Woman does for the DCEU, where it’s absolutely part of the interconnected tableau, but also an independent entity.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

I feel like there is going to be a mass culling of the "major" supporting characters like Heimdal, Mantis, Loki, Happy, Bucky, The Collector, War Machine, Wong, Hawkeye, Fury, Vision, etc.

Not necessarily all those specific characters, though.

Yeah. Totally, but for the most part, I feel like way more heroes are "fairly safe" than in danger of being killed off. I think they really need to kill of Cap/Iron Man. Doing that alone will loving wreck some people and ensure a vast majority of movie goers leave the theaters bawling like babies.

The MCU has been going for 10 years at this point, for people 20 and under, that's over half of their loving life. The core demographic for this stuff has spent more aware of MCU than not. It's no doubt that Disney wants this to be the most talked about event of the year. There are a lot of "safe" characters. Iron Man 100% needs to die. I feel like Cap does as well.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
You can bet that either Cap or Bucky will die in the other's arms.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The Dave posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they take “the new avengers” to try and set up the new characters and because all the other dudes will be dead.

Avengers 4: West Coast Avengers.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Infinity War
Avengers 4: New, Mighty, and Secret Avengers

Which is why you don’t hear much about Hawkeye and Ant Man/Wasp. Cause they along with Nick and Captain Marvel are doing secret stuff.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. Totally, but for the most part, I feel like way more heroes are "fairly safe" than in danger of being killed off. I think they really need to kill of Cap/Iron Man. Doing that alone will loving wreck some people and ensure a vast majority of movie goers leave the theaters bawling like babies.

The MCU has been going for 10 years at this point, for people 20 and under, that's over half of their loving life. The core demographic for this stuff has spent more aware of MCU than not. It's no doubt that Disney wants this to be the most talked about event of the year. There are a lot of "safe" characters. Iron Man 100% needs to die. I feel like Cap does as well.

This is complete speculation based on nothing, but I think:

- It is very likely that EITHER Cap or Iron Man dies
- It is very possible that neither of them die
- It is incredibly unlikely that both of them die

I think they want a major "face" for the audience going into Avengers 4 and having multiple huge character deaths at once can devalue the individual deaths.

I bet that the one-two punch they use to sell the idea of apocalyptic chaos from the stones/power of Thanos is going to be 1) A ton of "big" deaths like Loki, Vision, Fury, Hawkeye, Bucky, War Machine, Scarlet Witch, Nebula, etc. followed by 2) One "major" death of a core Avenger (Cap, Thor, Iron Man, or Hulk, but most likely Iron Man or Cap).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I think Cap/Iron Man both die and the major "face" going forward is Black Panther.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fart City posted:

I don’t see them messing with GOTG. It has too much crossover success, even with crowds that aren’t super into the MCU. It kind of occupies the same space Wonder Woman does for the DCEU, where it’s absolutely part of the interconnected tableau, but also an independent entity.

Little wonder Captain Marvel will be on the Guardians' side of the setting - her movie is featuring the Kree, the Skrulls, and Ronan the Accuser has been confirmed to be making an appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

After a huge climactic battle, they fail to stop Thanos from collecting the Stones, and all of the heroes die when Thanos snaps his fingers.

And then a figure slowly emerges from the shadows, each distinguishable feature coming into view. "Time to come out of retirement one last time," broods Hawkeye.