Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

exploded mummy posted:

star citizen was a mistake

I've defended the Star Citizen thread in the past but after taking a year off and actually thinking about what has happened in it I agree with this. I'm a hypocrite because I used to argue against allowing Doobie threads because goons can never handle just talking about something and you had people calling Doobie and poo poo.

At least Derek "I swear to you I will burn everything they have to the loving Ground" Smart is finally permabanned and most of the remaining obsessives are protesting his permaban by taking their talk about the developer's wife and whatever else to his personal discord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

chitoryu12 posted:

This comes up a lot, but I never really talk about it due to the derails it causes. What I'll say is that knowing people who have met and hung out with Chris as well as what's been compiled on the Internet (and having a transgender brother, friend, and coworkers, so I'm personally familiar with the subject), Chris has an extremely warped view of gender, gender roles, and sexuality that's influenced his decisions, some of which have involved doing some seriously harmful stuff. Chris needs therapy. A lot.

Even if their view of gender is as warped as you say, it's still weird and patronizing to not use their preferred pronouns because you have decided they're not stable enough to decide what they should be called.

If this person goes by she, that's what ppl itt should be using.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I never really followed the Chris Chan stuff because I think it’s super depressing/gross but I can kind of understand the fascination. SA was kind of built on finding weirdos on the internet to make fun of and we’ve done it numerous times and like any z-list celebrity that posts about themselves nonstop on the internet it’s an easy thing for other people to commiserate conversations about since all the material is right there

Unfortunately for Chris they never stop posting the insane details of their own life/getting caught in wacky and possibly illegal situations so the conversation has never died down and people with no life outside of the internet are going to keep poking the fire to keep it alive so they can feel better about themselves

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

cis autodrag posted:

Even if their view of gender is as warped as you say, it's still weird and patronizing to not use their preferred pronouns because you have decided they're not stable enough to decide what they should be called.

If this person goes by she, that's what ppl itt should be using.

Thanks for dropping by.

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

Ariong posted:

Two questions.

1. Do you think “The Pickle Man” is something that is common knowledge, to the extent that no explanation is required?
2. Do you think that it is normal to keep enough tabs on how often someone uses the internet that you can tell when they have decided to change their internet use habits?

If yes to either, perhaps you should consider that your idea of what is an acceptable level of information to compile about a person you do not know is skewed. Because this:

Is horrifying. “Hmm, what an interesting research subject!” This is a human being! One who didn’t consent to any of this! It’s not okay to use this information for anything, and as far as I am concerned no useful conclusions can be gleaned from it.

Hi. Sure it's kinda weird, but that dudes explanation was pretty much the best one you could hope for and your reaction to it is way weirder. Psychology student stumbling onto an in-depth log of a very broken man's interactions with a hosed up internet subculture and analyzing it is not anywhere near the same thing as being part of the gross squad pretending to be his friends and trying to get him to jerk off on camera or fight gamestop employees. From the outside it is just as interesting as it is horrible. Couple questions it might bring up if you weren't too busy pearl-clutching: why does he stay in contact with this group that clearly hates him? What is attractive to them about manipulating someone so unhappy and desperate? As one of the first (online) cases of this sort of thing, it establishes a lot of patterns and literally brought about kiwifarms. Getting mad at anyone who thinks about/tries to understand the situation is what's horrifying, you head-in-the-sand dweeb

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
reading the whole debacle is like reading about serial killers. The subject matter is terrible but fascinating.

its this evergrowing snowball of disasters as this person who wants adulation and internet fame keeps poking a hornets nest that then goes and does insane loving poo poo that is far worse than anything chris-chan has said or done.

it then repeats, over and over, and chris-chan offers up the most insane personal poo poo unprompted to the den of wolves that is surrounding him and its just this godawful trainwreck

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

420 SWAGLORD posted:

Hi. Sure it's kinda weird, but that dudes explanation was pretty much the best one you could hope for and your reaction to it is way weirder. Psychology student stumbling onto an in-depth log of a very broken man's interactions with a hosed up internet subculture and analyzing it is not anywhere near the same thing as being part of the gross squad pretending to be his friends and trying to get him to jerk off on camera or fight gamestop employees. From the outside it is just as interesting as it is horrible. Couple questions it might bring up if you weren't too busy pearl-clutching: why does he stay in contact with this group that clearly hates him? What is attractive to them about manipulating someone so unhappy and desperate? As one of the first (online) cases of this sort of thing, it establishes a lot of patterns and literally brought about kiwifarms. Getting mad at anyone who thinks about/tries to understand the situation is what's horrifying, you head-in-the-sand dweeb

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the guy from kiwifarms with elaborate in-depth knowledge about Chris Chan's entire family who was associated with people stalking Chris Chan in real life doesn't have as passing of an interest in the subject as you are trying to portray here. He isn't "Anyone who is trying to think about or understand the situation."

You getting this mad this easily about someone criticizing Chris Chan followers kinda makes it seem like you are being really defensive because you too have caught the Chris Chan virus.

I just don't get it. There are ten million mentally ill people pouring their entire lives out on the internet. What is it about the sonichu guy that provokes this kind of reaction? Why do people, even the ones claiming they don't care, care so much?

VictorianQueerLit has a new favorite as of 20:29 on Apr 18, 2018

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

420 SWAGLORD posted:

I think what makes me react that way is I don’t find any of it interesting. The whole thing is just incredibly sad and kind of upsetting.

EDIT: Another point that I wanted to make that maybe I came across too harshly to explain properly: Even if you think Chris-Chan is an interesting person to think about from a psychological perspective, and want more info about them, I would have serious, serious reservations about using the insane people who catalog their every movement as a source for that information. Even putting aside the morality of how that information was obtained, those people are surely not the sort of people who carefully fact check and remove all bais from their info. It’s just not good intel, you know?

Ariong has a new favorite as of 20:31 on Apr 18, 2018

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Ariong posted:

I think what makes me react that way is I don’t find any of it interesting. The whole thing is just incredibly sad and kind of upsetting.

Exactly. I laughed at the absurdity of the situation ten years ago when we had a thread here but people endlessly justifying why the subject requires constant attention and how they aren't crazy for caring about Chris Chan is just bizarre to me.

"No you see it's only about a pure interest in psychology, as I ignore ten million other mentally ill people pouring their lives onto the internet and document what Chris Chan threw away last night."

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Spanish Manlove posted:

Thanks for dropping by.

Sure np. I lurk lots of pyf threads and I'm happy to contribute :)

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Shut the gently caress up Space Crabs

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sid Vicious posted:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sid Vicious posted:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sid Vicious posted:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Sid Vicious posted:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I'm sure this poster has a history of some kind and this would probably be the appropriate thread to fill me in on that but

they're not wrong.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ther'es a lot of reports about this thread right now! Please move on from this current derail and talk about goon island or how many mars bars you can eat (one sitting, standard size only). I'm going to travel back through time (figuratively) to find out what happened after dinner (literal). Please hold tight until then namaste

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

EmmyOk posted:

ther'es a lot of reports about this thread right now! Please move on from this current derail and talk about goon island or how many mars bars you can eat (one sitting, standard size only). I'm going to travel back through time (figuratively) to find out what happened after dinner (literal). Please hold tight until then namaste

The derail started when a mod asked if someone was involved in a forum that stalked chris chan

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

exploded mummy posted:

The derail started when a mod asked if someone was involved in a forum that stalked chris chan

lmao

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The “best” thing about CWC is that it proves gangstalking is real.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The “best” thing about CWC is that it proves gangstalking is real.

the Paterson Crips actually have a restraining order against me because I kept driving around their turf blasting mariachi music while they were doing drug deals

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I don't feel bad for anyone bullied on the internet

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Have we gone over Hulk Hogan Meat Shoes yet?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

GWBBQ posted:

Have we gone over Hulk Hogan Meat Shoes yet?

This reminds me of the meat boat. I think gbs was in its epic meal time phase at the time.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

I'll get the ball rolling.

I can have exactly one bite of a Mars bar before I'm filled with rage and hurl the foul thing against a wall in disgust. I then sprint, sprint, to a convenience store to purchase either a Snickers or Baby Ruth. Proper candy bars for a proper gentleman. Take your 3 Musketeers and Mars bars and hit the bricks.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'll get the ball rolling.

I can have exactly one bite of a Mars bar before I'm filled with rage and hurl the foul thing against a wall in disgust. I then sprint, sprint, to a convenience store to purchase either a Snickers or Baby Ruth. Proper candy bars for a proper gentleman. Take your 3 Musketeers and Mars bars and hit the bricks.

I'm gonna need you to gently caress way off. Mars bars are poo poo but don't you dare besmirch the name of the 3 Musketeers. It's chocolate and nougat you loving scoundrel. It's one of the purest things on Earth. Snickers? Baby Ruth? You loving scurrilous cur. I'd sooner have a handful of peanuts, chocolate chips, and those lovely caramel cubes loaded into a 12 gauge shell and fired into my face before I eat a loving Snickers.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

SilkyP posted:

I don't feel bad for anyone bullied on the internet

Okay.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Untrustable posted:

I'm gonna need you to gently caress way off. Mars bars are poo poo but don't you dare besmirch the name of the 3 Musketeers. It's chocolate and nougat you loving scoundrel. It's one of the purest things on Earth. Snickers? Baby Ruth? You loving scurrilous cur. I'd sooner have a handful of peanuts, chocolate chips, and those lovely caramel cubes loaded into a 12 gauge shell and fired into my face before I eat a loving Snickers.

You go too far, sir! I demand satisfaction!

Which is exactly what a Snickers bar provides.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Three Musketeers that you put in the freezer for a little while :discourse:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I like Take 5s.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Would you consider a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup a type of candy bar?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

Would you consider a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup a type of candy bar?

dunno but that reminds me of my nuclear hot take that Reeses Pieces are better than any variety of M&Ms

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

You go too far, sir! I demand satisfaction!

Which is exactly what a Snickers bar provides.

That's the problem! A Snickers is practically a meal! It's far too opulent! You're putting chefs out of work!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

dunno but that reminds me of my nuclear hot take that Reeses Pieces are better than any variety of M&Ms

:yeah:

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Who What Now posted:

I like Take 5s.

:hfive:

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

None of these new candy formats can top good ol' Hersheys.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The only candy bar I need is the infinite sadness of my dreary, wretched life.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

If you can find a Charleston Chew (vanilla or strawberry, gently caress chocolate) that's actually soft rather than a 10-year-old fossil, that's the loving best.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Your American chocolate is all disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Three Musketeers that you put in the freezer for a little while :discourse:

:same:

These are some quality rapid fire candy opinions