Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
There will never be sufficient political capital because many of the same people currently opposing the pipeline will suddenly get bees in their bonnet about ATOMZ!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PT6A posted:

Is it time for me to come in and point out WE NEED TO BUILD loving NUCLEAR PLANTS? Because, yo, I think we should build some loving nuclear power plants.

Yeah, re-nationalize Candu, invest in research aiming for mass production, and bring in an atomic utopia. Alberta's new economy could be nuclear fuel reprocessing. Saskatchewan has the world's highest grade uranium deposits too. Canada likes digging stuff out of the ground, how about using that stuff for good instead of evil?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Again, we could probably get a lot of government funded research done for the 7.6 billion it will take to build this dumb pipeline

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, re-nationalize Candu, invest in research aiming for mass production, and bring in an atomic utopia. Alberta's new economy could be nuclear fuel reprocessing. Saskatchewan has the world's highest grade uranium deposits too. Canada likes digging stuff out of the ground, how about using that stuff for good instead of evil?

...I like it. Get the NDP on board and I'll vote for them.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
The worst thing about this whole pipeline is that we can't make fun of Green supporters throwing their vote away anymore. A couple hundred people in BC voted unstrategically for Green instead of NDP. Horgan wins the slimmest majority but needs Green support. Greens will never support pipeline so neither can BCNDP even if they wanted to. It'll get built anyways but they did get KM and the Liberals to flinch. Green Party Status: No longer completely irrelevant.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 18, 2018

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
Strangely enough, there are a fair number of companies working on generation 3 and 4 reactors in Canada. In my highly imperfect memory it has something to do with regulations in US being overly specific to pressurized light water reactors, whereas our regulations are more independent of the particular type of reactor.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Bernier is so dumb

https://twitter.com/cath_cullen/status/986658886076727296?s=19

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
He should have blamed anime fans for his loss instead.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Postess with the Mostest posted:

The worst thing about this whole pipeline is that we can't make fun of Green supporters throwing their vote away anymore. A couple hundred people in BC voted unstrategically for Green instead of NDP. Horgan wins the slimmest majority but needs Green support. Greens will never support pipeline so neither can BCNDP even if they wanted to. It'll get built anyways but they did get KM and the Liberals to flinch. Green Party Status: No longer completely irrelevant.

almost as if.. strategic voting is bullshit used by a certain centrist party to scare people into voting for them..:thunk:

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

DariusLikewise posted:

I think once Manitoba finishes Keeyask and the 100MW sale agreement between Manitoba Hydro and SaskPower kicks in SaskPower can shut down their 3 remaining coal stations. Of course Keeyask is infinitely now delayed under the Manitoba PCs.

Interesting. I didn’t know this. Frankly I am kind of surprised. SE SK has a baby version of the “coal culture” of America and is one of the strongest bastions of con voters in the province. I’m surprised, just for political reasons, that the Sask Party would even think about cutting that industry.

I mean we would probably still end up just doing the rip and ship to deliver it to some other country anyway, I guess.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Smiling Demon posted:

Strangely enough, there are a fair number of companies working on generation 3 and 4 reactors in Canada. In my highly imperfect memory it has something to do with regulations in US being overly specific to pressurized light water reactors, whereas our regulations are more independent of the particular type of reactor.

Yeah it's interesting, Terrestrial Energy in Ontario is looking poised to be the first, or at least one of the first, to have low pressure small molten salt reactors approved and on the market. They've passed the first set of regulatory hurdles and are eyeing test sites in Chalk River and Idaho National Lab. They even have Obama's secretary of energy on their board, so that's got to help.

It would be rad to pour a few billions into getting reactors like theirs online as fast as possible, if only decades of Cold War and fossil fuel industry promoted radiophobia didn't make that politically near-impossible.

Subsidized Canada-built electric cars and buses manufactured and powered using Canada-built next gen nuclear plants with renewables picking up the slack is a nice dream. To bad instead we're going to spend 8 billion to pour our poo poo bitumen into the oceans for the sake of maybe a decade of meagre Texas-company profits before the house of cards collapses and the oceans turn to lifeless acid and the breadbaskets turn to deserts and the world is hosed forever.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Is that requirement on scrapping your existing vehicle to get the subsidy for real? That's insanely stupid.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

JawKnee posted:

Is that requirement on scrapping your existing vehicle to get the subsidy for real? That's insanely stupid.

The used car market was really struggling, I guess.

Was there any reason you couldn't sell a gasoline-fuelled car for a large amount of money, then buy a beater that's barely functional, scrap that car and get the discount and the full value of your decent car that you wanted to replace?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I guess, but that's not what I'm getting at: making new cars is bad for the environment. Driving used is much better, even if they burn gas.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

JawKnee posted:

I guess, but that's not what I'm getting at: making new cars is bad for the environment. Driving used is much better, even if they burn gas.

Oh, for sure. It's stupid if it's used as intended, but it's even worse if you can scam it.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

James Baud posted:

You guys know that BC already gives you ~11k off a new electric car, right? And HOV lane access when solo which is worth thousands more. ;)

Coincidentally I have a rust bucket probably worth about nothing that I need to sell or scrap. Would this program accept it or do they have some actual standards?

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

PT6A posted:

The used car market was really struggling, I guess.

Was there any reason you couldn't sell a gasoline-fuelled car for a large amount of money, then buy a beater that's barely functional, scrap that car and get the discount and the full value of your decent car that you wanted to replace?

You would have to have the beater insured to drive for 6 months before scrapping it, but otherwise yeah.

Femtosecond posted:

Coincidentally I have a rust bucket probably worth about nothing that I need to sell or scrap. Would this program accept it or do they have some actual standards?

I don't think it even needs to run, it just has to be registered to you.

Square Peg fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 18, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Last night I found out thread superstar smoke somethin bitch was part of the grand j00se trip from TCC back in the day. I shouldn't have been surprised but I laughed like crazy. Smoke on you crazy diamond.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

EvilJoven posted:

This. The only thing that made me feel OK with voting Liberal in my riding, besides it being a dead heat between Carr and Bateman, was that in doing so hopefully it'd be the last time strategic voting would make sense.

Welp.

Last time I do that.

Now you can look forward to ten years from now screaming till you're blue in the face that this is what Liberals do...

...and having everyone ignore it because somethingsomething Conservatives this time is different.

Welcome to the hell those of us who remember the Chretien years experienced.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

BGrifter posted:

Now you can look forward to ten years from now screaming till you're blue in the face that this is what Liberals do...

...and having everyone ignore it because somethingsomething Conservatives this time is different.

Welcome to the hell those of us who remember the Chretien years experienced.

Isnt it fun having lived through this movie before and seeing that no one learned anything? :manning::respek::manning:

My favourite part of this upcoming saga is definitely going to be when the Librerals inevitably lose to the Cons and then proceed to start harping on them to pass voting reform.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Tighclops posted:

Nobody who is willing to vote for this rear end in a top hat cares about stuff like math

Conservative Math Problem:

Which is better? Zero income tax gives full time-workers earning $14 an hour an extra $800 per year. Raising the minimum wage to $15/hr gives the same worker an extra $2080 in gross income and $1553 after taxes.

Conservative Solution:

TAXES BAD! FORD NATION! NO TAXES! FORD NATION!

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

InfiniteZero posted:

Conservative Math Problem:

Which is better? Zero income tax gives full time-workers earning $14 an hour an extra $800 per year. Raising the minimum wage to $15/hr gives the same worker an extra $2080 in gross income and $1553 after taxes.

Conservative Solution:

TAXES BAD! FORD NATION! NO TAXES! FORD NATION!

That's a generous way to interpret it, when it's more of the same Conservative gently caress THE POOR mentality while trying to also get their votes.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ontario: Out to prove that there is a province more easily grifted than Alberta

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

SilverMike posted:

That's a generous way to interpret it, when it's more of the same Conservative gently caress THE POOR mentality while trying to also get their votes.

This is true, I was being extra kind in my analysis of the thought process.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Theoretically all the Liberals would have to do is pay for a series of ads with that math problem explained in the simplest possible terms, correct?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Tighclops posted:

Theoretically all the Liberals would have to do is pay for a series of ads with that math problem explained in the simplest possible terms, correct?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Tighclops posted:

Yes we got power in 2003 and yes we had only increased minimum wage to $11.60 until 1/1/2018 but now let us explain why we think it's ok and good to tax minimum wage workers

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Pretty fuckin sweet meltdown accusing Doug of being someone he's not because of something he didn't say.

https://twitter.com/Kathleen_Wynne/status/986629678965370880

https://twitter.com/OntLiberal/status/986691223720222720

https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/10852146480

Man so many people would love to see her in jail, this is a great approach.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Kathleen is just trying to drive up sales on her What Happened book

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
"The conservatives are employing the Donald Trump strategy. We must respond with Hillary Clinton."

And do they not realize that, to people who vote for Ford, being equated to Trump is a good thing?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Doug Ford doesn't want to be associated with Trump. He did last year but not now.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

xtal posted:

"The conservatives are employing the Donald Trump strategy. We must respond with Hillary Clinton."

And do they not realize that, to people who vote for Ford, being equated to Trump is a good thing?

Yes, it helps to remember that there are a lot of people who believe that Donald Trump (and previously Rob Ford) is doing a good job. The chaos and failure of government are actually indications of his success because he's fighting the entrenched elite and anything that upsets "liberals" is a ringing success.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
e: removed this post until someone else posts a quote of it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Reince Penis posted:

Doug Ford doesn't want to be associated with Trump. He did last year but not now.

Well, he says he doesn't but his campaign seems willing to allow those parallels to surface naturally. The major distinction is that he's not overtly racist and his campaign doesn't otherize immigrants, because they're a big part of his base in the GTA.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Reince Penis posted:

See, I didn't really hang onto the part of her comparing him to Trump, every hack has been saying that for months. I caught onto the part about turning this election into a referendum about whether Wynne should be in jail and the les miserables song started playing in my head. That'll play pretty well with the rurals who weren't that into big city doug ford. Like, if the headline tomorrow is "Ford channels Trump, says Wynne should be in jail" that's gonna get some head nods out here but not cause of the Trump part.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
https://twitter.com/RWJBoon/status/986687587057356801?s=19

Ha ha holy poo poo burn this loving country to the ground

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Scorchy posted:

Notley could cure cancer and she wouldn't win the next election.
Kenney is winning the next election even if they find him with both a live boy and a dead girl.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

All party committee recommends single payer prescription drug plan

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pharmacare-report-canada-committee-1.4625291

Watch Trudeau run on this in 2019 only to water it down to seniors and students in 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Why does everyone hate Kathleen Wynne anyway? Just because of the Hydro business?