Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
gonna be honest I don't really have a dog in this fight but I'm not exactly angry that there are potential complications to charging into a unit that's in terrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Mef989 posted:

Do we have any time estimates on when the next three codices will drop?

The leaked schedule has been dead on so far, the remainder of which looks like this:

April:
Codex Drukhari
Codex Harlequins
New aelfs for AoS

May:
Codex Space Wolves
Boxed game

June:
Codex Orks
New 40k boxed set

The boxed game in May is likely kill team. Since they announced knights and deathwatch with harlequins, I'd expect all of them out by mid-May.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

DancingShade posted:

I don't know why you play such a crude, dumbed-down game when the rule books for 2nd edition and rogue trader are still out there.

I picked up the hardback Rogue Trader a while back at WHW and we almost played a few rounds at LVO.

I originally quit 40k during the 2nd to 3rd transition so I'm well prepared to get mad about that, too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

My Knight is almost done, and it feels good.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

EvilBeard posted:

I like Eradication Ray, Phosphor Serpenta

Which is which on the sprue.

Do we have any firm date for the Ad Mech FW book?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Q: What happens when an Infantry model cannot completely end its move on a floor of ruins when attempting to scale the walls?
A: If an Infantry model is unable to complete a move to a stable position, use the Wobbly Model Syndrome guidelines in the core rules to identify with your opponent where your model’s actual location is.

Wobbly Model: "Sometimes you may find that a particular piece of terrain makes it hard to put a model exactly where you want. If you delicately balance it in place, it is very likely to fall as soon as somebody nudges the table, leaving your painted model damaged or even broken. In cases like this, we find it is perfectly acceptable to leave the model in a safer position..."

The answer is 100% about what happens if your model can finish on a floor but not safely to stop it falling off. There's nothing about that that contradicts the general rules, which don't allow you to end your move within a wall or floor. Scaling a wall and placing it on nothing at all isn't "delicately balancing", it's levitating.

That doesn't make the Sector Mechanicus stuff "unusable." Your unit will have a hard time getting off it and moving away, but at the same time opposing units are going to have a hard time reaching you. That seems fine? That's a trade-off you make for deploying them there - they're probably going to stay there unless you plan well in advance, but they are well protected.

Hanging off a wall is not a stable position. Thus I use wobbly model syndrome to identify to my opponent the actual location. The piece of terrain makes it hard to put it exactly where I want. It's likely to fall as soon as the table is nudged or I let go. I am not ending a move inside a wall or a floor, I'm ending a move on the outside of a wall.

Lets take a look at this wall piece:
I'm delicately balancing on the brick thing that old man on the right is holding.

Or what about these two spots circled in blue, I can get part of my base on but won't be able to balance it, so I use wobbly model to say I'm there.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Corrode posted:

Q: What happens when an Infantry model cannot completely end its move on a floor of ruins when attempting to scale the walls?
A: If an Infantry model is unable to complete a move to a stable position, use the Wobbly Model Syndrome guidelines in the core rules to identify with your opponent where your model’s actual location is.

Wobbly Model: "Sometimes you may find that a particular piece of terrain makes it hard to put a model exactly where you want. If you delicately balance it in place, it is very likely to fall as soon as somebody nudges the table, leaving your painted model damaged or even broken. In cases like this, we find it is perfectly acceptable to leave the model in a safer position..."

The answer is 100% about what happens if your model can finish on a floor but not safely to stop it falling off. There's nothing about that that contradicts the general rules, which don't allow you to end your move within a wall or floor. Scaling a wall and placing it on nothing at all isn't "delicately balancing", it's levitating.

That doesn't make the Sector Mechanicus stuff "unusable." Your unit will have a hard time getting off it and moving away, but at the same time opposing units are going to have a hard time reaching you. That seems fine? That's a trade-off you make for deploying them there - they're probably going to stay there unless you plan well in advance, but they are well protected.

Pictured: A highly evolved warrior of the 41st millennium levitating

But seriously, your reading of those two pieces is biased at best. The former clearly indicates that you can determine actual position of a model mid-scale. The latter DOES NOT state that the model must balance in order to claim benefit of the rule.

Boon fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 18, 2018

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Roll 1d6 to determine how many bricks you can climb up this turn.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

My Knight is almost done, and it feels good.

Lookin good.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Lungboy posted:

Which is which on the sprue.

Do we have any firm date for the Ad Mech FW book?

The eradication ray looks like a plasma with a ln antenna on the end, the phosphor serpenta is the ornate, old timer pistol looking one.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Boon posted:

I mean, that's a Custode, they're capable of crazy poo poo?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Booyah- posted:

The leaked schedule has been dead on so far, the remainder of which looks like this:

April:
Codex Drukhari
Codex Harlequins
New aelfs for AoS

May:
Codex Space Wolves
Boxed game

June:
Codex Orks
New 40k boxed set

The boxed game in May is likely kill team. Since they announced knights and deathwatch with harlequins, I'd expect all of them out by mid-May.

It's at least partially wrong at this point, Harlies isn't going to make it in April now, nor will Space Wolves or Orks be May. Most likely we'll get Harlies, Knights, Deathwatch through May/early June and then SW/Orks/GSC in June-July. Where Kill Team and whatever "new 40k boxed set" is fit in is an open question - that could equally have been Forgebane getting brought forwards since it got leaked heavily.

TTerrible posted:

I picked up the hardback Rogue Trader a while back at WHW and we almost played a few rounds at LVO.

I originally quit 40k during the 2nd to 3rd transition so I'm well prepared to get mad about that, too.

I picked up the RT book when I was there in Feb. It's completely mad, I really want to try it out.

Also in penance for clogging up the thread trying to prove I'm the cleverest and most correct 40k boy, here's some super spooky skeletons that I painted up for my future Necron army, ft. dopey dudes staring at the floor:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Badablack posted:

This is why I wish there was some method to directly attack ruins if there’s a bunch of guys sitting on top immune to charges. Like, units in base to base with the ruin can put their attacks into it, or roll a D6 for every model and do mortal wounds on a 5+ as the ruins get their foundations knocked to poo poo. It’s a ruin, by its ruined nature it probably isn’t a very stable platform!

This. While holding a fortified position should at least buy some time, I don't think it should make you effectively immune to having infinite Genestealers or Bloodletters milling around below. There should be a way to kick off some impromptu demolition work when needed.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Warhammer was ruined forever when they removed the cybernetica and their gimmick of pre-programming actions, and you should all abandon 40k and 30k forever to come play Carnage Heart with me

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Boon posted:

Aha, I am standing on a chair, thus you cannot charge me

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Zuul the Cat posted:

What forgeworld are you running?

I haven't got that far yet, I got my first dude today :) I've only played one game of 8th so far and don't fully understand how keywords work yet in regards to taking multiple forgeworlds in the same army (is that even possible?).

EvilBeard posted:

The eradication ray looks like a plasma with a ln antenna on the end, the phosphor serpenta is the ornate, old timer pistol looking one.

Thanks!

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 18, 2018

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Corrode posted:

I picked up the RT book when I was there in Feb. It's completely mad, I really want to try it out.

Someone else picked up the hardback Realms of Chaos and I have regrets that I didn't. :negative:

Next time I go to Nottingham i'll grab it.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TTerrible posted:

Someone else picked up the hardback Realms of Chaos and I have regrets that I didn't. :negative:

Next time I go to Nottingham i'll grab it.

Is it still available? I thought they had Slaves to Darkness now but not Realm of Chaos, unless I'm mixing up my 30 year old supplements and those are the same thing.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Corrode posted:

It's at least partially wrong at this point, Harlies isn't going to make it in April now, nor will Space Wolves or Orks be May. Most likely we'll get Harlies, Knights, Deathwatch through May/early June and then SW/Orks/GSC in June-July. Where Kill Team and whatever "new 40k boxed set" is fit in is an open question - that could equally have been Forgebane getting brought forwards since it got leaked heavily.

:tenbux: says that if Space Wolves vs Orks is a thing, we see it previewed in Warhammerfest on May 12th for release a few weeks later

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Corrode posted:

Is it still available? I thought they had Slaves to Darkness now but not Realm of Chaos, unless I'm mixing up my 30 year old supplements and those are the same thing.

I may be doing the same. I'm sure it was Realms of Chaos but it might have been slaves.

I didn't know it had got a hardback reprint till I saw it at LVO. It had all the insane two page D100 tables for generates mutations, names, etc

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
The flipside of Wobbly Model is anywhere you could legally wobbly they could also, so most of the time the lip you'd wobbly on is already wobblied by your opponent, they just didn't want to spend an extra 15 minutes making crystal clear exactly where each individual model is wobblying so you don't get your gotcha. Or their entire unit is some FLY bullshit who are all wobblying ontop of the wall three stories up.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Booley posted:

Or what about these two spots circled in blue, I can get part of my base on but won't be able to balance it, so I use wobbly model to say I'm there.

Thus began the "actually my entire unit is overlapping each others bases to form a plastic teepee" meta

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lungboy posted:

I haven't got that far yet, I got my first dude today :) I've only played one game of 8th so far and don't fully understand how keywords work yet in regards to taking multiple forgeworlds in the same army (is that even possible?).

It is, and you can! I run Mars and Stygies in two separate detachments. My firebase is usually Mars because of Cawl (although i'm taking him less these days), and other units I take Stygies VIII for the -1 to hit and for Clandestine Infiltration.

Normally the keywords when taking multiple just specifies which trait applies to which units. Sometimes they do interact - namely Mars and it's Canticle ability. If you take Mars, you roll twice and apply both effects. But if you take multiple Forgeworlds, only the second dice applies to all the others.

Booley posted:

Aha, I am standing on a chair, thus you cannot charge me

Yeah, because fortifying ruins to protect from assaults is silly.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TTerrible posted:

I may be doing the same. I'm sure it was Realms of Chaos but it might have been slaves.

I didn't know it had got a hardback reprint till I saw it at LVO. It had all the insane two page D100 tables for generates mutations, names, etc

Slaves was definitely on sale when I was there, so I think it's that. I nearly caved and bought it, but one set of rules older than I am was enough for one weekend. I'll definitely get it next time though.

I'd love them to make the whole back catalogue of books available. There's tons of great stuff in the old ones, and it'd be fun to play some old editions I was too young to play properly or missed completely.

xtothez posted:

:tenbux: says that if Space Wolves vs Orks is a thing, we see it previewed in Warhammerfest on May 12th for release a few weeks later

Oh yeah, I was thinking about LGT but Warhammer Fest is way more obvious for big release announcements.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

I read this entire thing and I didnt see one reference to genestealers or a daemon trying to assault from the bottom floor to the second level.

So what's your point?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Is there anything to stop you from grabbing a lump of blu-tak and just sticking your model to the ledge or whatever it's supposed to be balancing on?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

We interrupt this broadcast to bring you peak Dakka:

lolman1c posted:

For weeks and weeks people truly believed a rumour that in this Big FAQ guard was going to be nerfed even more.

The biggest rumours were that the normal guardsmen was going up in points and conscripts were going to be nerfed even more. There were people swearing this rumour came from an official 100% legit sauce! However, now the FAQ came out there was no nerf and, in fact, IG got a buff. So I really hope this is a lesson for all of you! When a rumour comes out make sure to scoop up that salt in your hand and keep it there until the rumour is over! People were outright animals when it came to the discussion over this rumour (thinking it was true) and i know it wasn't all of you but if you did get aggressive over this rumour I really hope in the future you contemplate your actions before you type. Moreover, a lot of people basically got aggressive (more than i normally see on DakkaDakka ) for actually no reason. They fought and virtually sacrificed yourselves and each other for nothing.

Please, as much as i love getting into debates here and getting angry, consider that a rumour may just be a rumour. I myself has fallen down that hole many times before and I feel like an idiot at the end of it.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Boon posted:

I read this entire thing and I didnt see one reference to genestealers or a daemon trying to assault from the bottom floor to the second level.

So what's your point?

Oh I'm sure any amount of explaining won't help here, bud.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Gonna buy the poo poo out of a kill team box if it comes out

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
We live in a world where basically every Sci-Fi or Fantasy movie has creatures and people scaling any number of surfaces and fighting.

Zuul probably watched Fellowship of the Ring and complained that the goblins in Moria shouldn't have been able to assault our heroes in the great hall because they climbed the pillars to reach the floor.

But I digress, because clearly the rules and FAQ dont disallow it. World War 2 references with no applicability aside.

Boon fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 18, 2018

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Booyah- posted:

April:
Codex Drukhari
Codex Harlequins
New aelfs for AoS

May:
Codex Space Wolves
Boxed game

June:
Codex Orks
New 40k boxed set

It makes me happy that GW is releasing Codecis at such a fast clip :)

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Boon posted:

We live in a world where basically every Sci-Fi or Fantasy movie has creatures and people scaling any number of surfaces and fighting.

Zuul probably watched Fellowship of the Ring and complained that the goblins in Moria shouldn't have been able to assault our heroes in the great hall because they climbed the pillars.

Or, it's just the fact that I think the decision GW made in the FAQ is a good and fair one?

I'm not saying infantry can't scale walls, so I'm not sure where you got that idea from. Clearly they can, that's how all infantry get up into ruins. My position is that the GW decision makes sense for failing a charge roll. The rules explicitly state that you must end your move within 1" of an enemy model. If you can't place it, you can't place it.

Show me where on the genestealer or daemons data sheets where it says they can latch onto pillars and assault. Is that really how you play? Just use wobbly model syndrome for everything and say "oh my dudes are hanging onto the rafters and swinging at your guys"?

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Yesterday I was wondering if I should give grav-chutes or grappling hooks to reivers, so I guess my question is answered now. Sorta.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Strobe posted:

I am (irritatingly) well aware of this. The Commander used the Homing Beacon to ensure a charge that ended up being not necessary, the Crisis Suits used a traditional Manta Strike.

Heh yeah emphasis on irritatingly :). Heaven forbid our strategem synergieses with our army!

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I'm coming at this solely from the viewpoint of "hey maybe charging into a fortified position should have some downsides"

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Tell the person on the ruins that since everything is LOS that only the couple of models at the front can fire since the rest can't shoot through the floor at the unit down below.

Thats the rule though!? If model has no los cause the ruin is blocking it (window or floor) the model cant target for shooting.. Or am I wrong?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I'm coming at this solely from the viewpoint of "hey maybe charging into a fortified position should have some downsides"

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Corrode posted:

Realm of Chaos was the overall title, the 2 books were Slaves to Darkness and The Lost and the Damned.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Gonna buy the poo poo out of a kill team box if it comes out

:yeah: