Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Vendor lock-in, in the cloud? Who could have guessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Cloud vendors should be forced to have a comprehensive migration procedure between them

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Fame Douglas posted:

Does LTSB still have the annoying bug where subsequently opened windows act as if the previous iteration of that program wasn't closed and open a bit lower and to the right of the previous window (like happens when you're opening multiple Explorer windows, for example)?

:hmmyes:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TjyvTompa posted:

I have LTSB at work and yes, this happens constantly.

Neat. Is that seriously an ltsb-only bug?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

Neat. Is that seriously an ltsb-only bug?

It was present in the first iteration of regular Windows 10 as well, but patched in a subsequent feature update. Because LTSB doesn't get feature updates, the bug remains.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

It was present in the first iteration of regular Windows 10 as well, but patched in a subsequent feature update. Because LTSB doesn't get feature updates, the bug remains.

ahhh, i imagine it must be fixed in one of the yearly ltsb builds they release.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Fame Douglas posted:

Microsoft.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/04/former-microsoft-designer-leaks-likely-future-of-windows-and-xbox-avatars/

goddamn microsoft is so cool again

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

considering how obvious a shitshow the current state of iot is this actually seems like a really good plan by microsoft

in that it is obviously a trick to lock functioning iot into talking to azure by default

its based on a loving cortex a7

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what should an iot soc implementation use?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

Does LTSB still have the annoying bug where subsequently opened windows act as if the previous iteration of that program wasn't closed and open a bit lower and to the right of the previous window (like happens when you're opening multiple Explorer windows, for example)?

my favorite thing about microsoft products is that each version fixes some arcane never shouldve existed bug and replaces it with an equally arcane though now completely different bug but all the while the level of annoyance stays roughly the same throughout

remember when excel spreadsheets couldnt be displayed in the hover preview in windows 7?

my favorite was in outlook 2010 if you used an email template that session then any time after that if you moused over the contact card in an open email it would reopen the email template you used but it would only do it one time. idk if it required a certain combo of os version and outlook options but its entirely reproducible

its like the entire organization exists just to provide office workers with some precise amount of low level irritation

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Fame Douglas posted:

Also, maybe fix the longstanding UWP multi monitor bug where fullscreen minimizes when another application is opened on the first screen. Kinda ridiculous behavior for a system called "Windows".

I raised this to feedback in the beta builds of Windows 8, jesus

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was making somebody important at microsoft think displaying anything that looks like a large number in excel as scientific notation without giving the option to turn that dumb loving feature off

https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/...570a8520110555f

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I am a super big fan of outlook's habit of giving me popup reminders for .ics attachments in my gmail account that are 4+ years old. Very timely, A+ reminder.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
hey speaking of excel check this out:
open excel
make a new tab
enter some data
undo a change
delete a tab

if you performed a redo operation at this step, what do you think is going to happen

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

anthonypants posted:

open excel
make a new tab
enter some data
undo a change
delete a tab

if you performed a redo operation at this step, what do you think is going to happen

guessing:

it changes the contents of the cell you altered in the now-deleted tab on the current tab

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

anthonypants posted:

open excel
make a new tab
enter some data
undo a change
delete a tab

I hope the tab comes back from the land of wind and ghosts , but I know in my heart it will give you an error.

knowing how excel works in xml it may put the data back where you don’t see it , until you save and re open and it says your workbook is broken

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

anthonypants posted:

open excel
make a new tab
enter some data
undo a change
delete a tab

Kills your family? Upgrades to Windows 10?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Partycat posted:

I hope the tab comes back from the land of wind and ghosts , but I know in my heart it will give you an error.

knowing how excel works in xml it may put the data back where you don’t see it , until you save and re open and it says your workbook is broken

I'm betting this as well

Does it overflow and crash Excel right on click though

That would be fun

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My Excel (2016) appears to flush both the undo/redo lists when you delete a tab, I'm somewhat underwhelmed.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

anthonypants posted:

open excel
make a new tab
enter some data
undo a change
delete a tab

ahahaha

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
if you start with multiple tabs and only make one change, you can use redo multiple times using this procedure to delete all the tabs

i wonder if this can delete tabs you shouldn't be able to delete

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

anthonypants posted:

if you start with multiple tabs and only make one change, you can use redo multiple times using this procedure to delete all the tabs

when i tried it it told me there must be one visible sheet, so probably not

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

anthonypants posted:

Was this poo poo even given cursory testing

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

carry on then posted:

when i tried it it told me there must be one visible sheet, so probably not
there needs to be at least one worksheet in an excel workbook. that part at least makes sense.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

anthonypants posted:

there needs to be at least one worksheet in an excel workbook. that part at least makes sense.

it means the almost certainly check whether the sheet can be deleted in the actual deletion function, not just when deciding whether or not to enable the delete menu item/key command

so no, i'll say, it's not possible to use this technique to delete sheets that wouldn't otherwise be deletable

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

carry on then posted:

it means the almost certainly check whether the sheet can be deleted in the actual deletion function, not just when deciding whether or not to enable the delete menu item/key command

so no, i'll say, it's not possible to use this technique to delete sheets that wouldn't otherwise be deletable
oh, yeah, i meant like locked or hidden

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
I'll bet the Power BI Desktop team has the nicest crash report telemetry dashboards ever.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

send a frown

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

While the main Office apps remain traditional desktop Windows applications, Microsoft has been developing a modern version of OneNote using the Universal Windows Platform (UWP) APIs for some years; it's arguably one of the more complex and capable UWP applications available today.

In Office 2019 shipping later this year, that new version of OneNote is moving to the foreground and will become the primary version of OneNote. The existing desktop application, OneNote 2016, will continue to be supported in maintenance mode, receiving bug fixes through October 2020 and security fixes until October 2025. But new features are going to be reserved for UWP version.

Microsoft has already said that Office 2019 will require Windows 10—it's the only version of Windows still in mainstream support—so the switch to using a UWP app should be fairly transparent. Clean installations of Office 2019 won't include OneNote 2016 by default, but if it's already there, it won't be harmed by upgrading.

Right now, there are some features found in the desktop app not present in the UWP; Microsoft is working to fill in the gaps, with features such as tags and Class Notebook support coming later this year. The company is also working on a new sync engine that provides near-instantaneous updates across Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and the Web.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

seeks like a good move

I’m pro sandboxing

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

don't know why they hate the idea of users being able to pick more colors on the tablet/web versions than they could in mario paint though

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

cinci zoo sniper posted:

While the main Office apps remain traditional desktop Windows applications, Microsoft has been developing a modern version of OneNote using the Universal Windows Platform (UWP) APIs for some reason

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The fact MS can't even get their own teams to use the Microsoft Store is very lolworthy.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

While the main Office apps remain traditional desktop Windows applications, Microsoft has been developing a modern version of OneNote using the Universal Windows Platform (UWP) APIs for some years; it's arguably one of the more complex and capable UWP applications available today.

In Office 2019 shipping later this year, that new version of OneNote is moving to the foreground and will become the primary version of OneNote. The existing desktop application, OneNote 2016, will continue to be supported in maintenance mode, receiving bug fixes through October 2020 and security fixes until October 2025. But new features are going to be reserved for UWP version.

Microsoft has already said that Office 2019 will require Windows 10—it's the only version of Windows still in mainstream support—so the switch to using a UWP app should be fairly transparent. Clean installations of Office 2019 won't include OneNote 2016 by default, but if it's already there, it won't be harmed by upgrading.

Right now, there are some features found in the desktop app not present in the UWP; Microsoft is working to fill in the gaps, with features such as tags and Class Notebook support coming later this year. The company is also working on a new sync engine that provides near-instantaneous updates across Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and the Web.

guess I should start finding an alternative to onenote :barf: :smith:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Isn't this the version that can't save notebooks locally--you must use onedrive?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

carry on then posted:

Isn't this the version that can't save notebooks locally--you must use onedrive?

i think so

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

carry on then posted:

yeeeeeeup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

welp no more onedrive i guess