Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lain Iwakura posted:

lather those legs in emla and walk the 10 blocks from my office to the clinic. should be okay and not be awkward at all

i won't miss walking with saran wrap/gauze on my face come after next month

also one of my partners remarked that my legs were really smooth after i shaved them earlier in the day so i think i am sold on zapping all of that hair. i want to do hair elsewhere but that won't be until after i see dr brassard

I'm hard core and go in dry with nothing but a vicodin in me :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Has anyone tried those home laser hair removal things? I've actually heard semi-positive results and it seems a million times cheaper.

i have an acquaintance that swears by the tria, and the results seem pretty decent to me

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

E4C85D38 posted:

i have an acquaintance that swears by the tria, and the results seem pretty decent to me

if you scroll back in this thread a bit we discussed it a bunch, apparently fishmech found one at a thrift store somehow

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Bear in mind a handheld laser isn't powerful enough to get some of the finer hairs a clinical laser can, and you're not gonna get it done near as fast as a pro. If you're on a budget it's a good option, but I'm always gonna advocate getting laser from a trained nurse in a medspa if you can afford it. It'll go faster, you'll get more, and it'll be less stressful.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cis autodrag posted:

Bear in mind a handheld laser isn't powerful enough to get some of the finer hairs a clinical laser can, and you're not gonna get it done near as fast as a pro. If you're on a budget it's a good option, but I'm always gonna advocate getting laser from a trained nurse in a medspa if you can afford it. It'll go faster, you'll get more, and it'll be less stressful.

if you're doing something like your face definitely go for the pro, yeah. however if you want to do like your entire legs or something that would take forever and cost infinity dollars to get a pro to do it, it might be better to just use the home laser system. it won't get everything but it would thin it out a bunch and make shaving much easier and faster. at the very least it would probably reduce the number of treatments the pro would need to do to get rid of it completely :shrug:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

cis autodrag posted:

i'm in agreement

however, IPL isn't laser <3

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lain Iwakura posted:

i'm in agreement

however, IPL isn't laser <3

the tria is an actual laser though, if that's what you're referring to

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I have one of the Philips Lumea ipl things. It basically scorched earthed my armpits after two treatments, had varying effectiveness on the rest of my body, and basically zero effect on facial hair.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I have a little experience with the Tria laser because my body hair is gross, but it ended up being a waste of $500 in terms of effectiveness (in addition to being a royal pain in the rear end). Virtually zero result on my arms and hands even after something like ten treatments

And I'm an ordinary pasty white guy with dark hair, supposedly the ideal candidate, but my body hair is pretty thin and wispy so that's probably a contributor

So caveat emptor is all I'm saying

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

More or lessj ust for kicks I also tried it on a small corner of my chin where the hair is dense compared to my arms but thin compared to the rest of my face and it burned like the rage of ten suns even on low power, so yeah don't do that without a pro

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I am an evolved being and I have figured out how to dangle between my couch and the ottoman on my back.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I tried that once when I was a kid. Sprained my neck.

I am not graceful.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
it can be good if you pack yourself in with like a dozen pillows

but ofc you can never move again for the rest of youre life

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i prefer a firm pillow myself

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Heh. Firm. :wiggle: :butt:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Like a boner

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
:yosbutt:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

cis autodrag posted:

Like a boner

Boner? Is that like a butt?

On a non-butt note, I’ve decided I’m going to get my face lasered this summer, since it seems the consensus is faces absolutely should be done professionally. Time to start researching!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Faces suck.

Also stick your tongue between your lip and your teeth when they do your upper lip or the laser energy blasts through to your teeth and nyeaargh

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Laser teeth seem loving awesome.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
at some point i'd like to get the hair on my face blasted into oblivion but i'm still so far from that point that it doesn't really bother me yet. the rest of my hair has been mostly not worth worrying about

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

Faces suck.

Also stick your tongue between your lip and your teeth when they do your upper lip or the laser energy blasts through to your teeth and nyeaargh

what about your tongue tho

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Progressive JPEG posted:

what about your tongue tho

which would you rather absorb the stinging heat: a big slab of muscle or the root nerves of your teeth

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

there seems to be a lot of variability in laser treatments from what i've heard reported by friends. my wife's laser treatments felt like "a rubber band being thwapped on your face" and was "more annoying than painful" with no visible light, whereas a friend in the UK described it as "excruciating" and reported seeing flashes of red light diffusing through her skin and lighting up in her eyeball. that could mean they're using a ruby laser (visible in the deep red part of the spectrum) whereas my wife's was done with a CO2 laser (infrared) or something like that, but i thought ruby lasers weren't used anymore... also my wife's treatment laser had some system that puffs ice cold air on you right before firing, whereas the UK friend just had some cooling gel applied, so that probably made a difference too. apparently the best ones have chilled transparent heat sinks to directly draw heat from the skin, but I don't know anyone who's used one of those.

anyway i guess what i'm getting at is if you try laserin' your face and find it too painful, see about going to a different clinic or trying a different laser since they seem to have huge variations in pain levels based on wavelength, power, and cooling mechanism :shrug:

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Synthbuttrange posted:

great, i was just thinking i didn't have enough anxiety about getting lasered

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Kazinsal posted:

the stinging heat: a big slab of muscle

mods this poster is doxxing my ok cupid profile

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Nail polish is loving hard, yo. I need a 15 year old girl to teach me this poo poo.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

mods this poster is doxxing my ok cupid profile

They said muscle. :p

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Nail polish is loving hard, yo. I need a 15 year old girl to teach me this poo poo.

Don't paint all the way to the edges. Keep a tissue to wipe up your cuticles after each nail. Basecoat, two polish costs, top coat. Wait 10 minutes between each.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

cis autodrag posted:

Don't paint all the way to the edges. Keep a tissue to wipe up your cuticles after each nail. Basecoat, two polish costs, top coat. Wait 10 minutes between each.

I didn’t know you were 15!

(Lack of) Base coat and not waiting long enough seems to be where I screwed up this time. Thanks :)

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
also don't buy cheap stuff. i usually go for essie which isn't expensive but isn't crap either

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Also make sure you're using good polish. OPI, Essie and other salon polishes are super smooth and easy to apply. making sure you really shake it and don't let it expire or settle is important too. push your cuticles back and try for smooth, even strokes.

think of it like painting Warhammer models :q:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ive seriously thought about going in for an occasional mani b/c every woman i know constantly bitches about my wonderful strong clean nails that i can grow as long as i want without breaking, might as well go deep.

this thread is a cool read btw keep it up

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I got a bottle of Sally Hansen because the colour was nice and muted. Dunno about its quality. Also realizing the 70% isopropyl I have is in fact not "close enough to nail polish remover." Lol

Edit: I think I’m going to have to bite the bullet and actually talk to an irl person in a cosmetics department, to make sure I get everything.

Bunni-kat fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 18, 2018

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Jonny 290 posted:

ive seriously thought about going in for an occasional mani b/c every woman i know constantly bitches about my wonderful strong clean nails that i can grow as long as i want without breaking, might as well go deep.

Don't. Painting your nails weakens them, you'll make them worse. I paint my nails to hide how hosed up they are from spiro. When I was presenting male I had beautiful nails.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jonny 290 posted:

mani's and pedi's are like gods gift to humans

do it, feels so good and it's clean

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Oh yeah, definitely get Manis and pedis but don't let them polish, not even clear coat. Once you start your trapped forever cuz your nails will suck forever.

Jessica in true blood is so God drat hot jesus

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Don't buy cheap poo poo and if you can't wait 10 minutes, get a uv nail lamp.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I got a bottle of Sally Hansen because the colour was nice and muted. Dunno about its quality. Also realizing the 70% isopropyl I have is in fact not "close enough to nail polish remover." Lol

Edit: I think I’m going to have to bite the bullet and actually talk to an irl person in a cosmetics department, to make sure I get everything.

yeah you probably want pure acetone

sally hansen is fine. you can also try butter london, essie and china glaze

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Jonny 290 posted:

if you're not getting polish done there's not much you'd get from a mani / pedi you can't do at home but you can also go just to 'pamper' yourself

first time i went i discovered it's surprisingly painful and not relaxing at all though!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
i stopped painting my nails around christmas because i felt like it didn't matter for me anymore

it's sort of weird. i wanted to do it just so i can at least have a hint at my gender but being that nobody has misgendered me since christmas, it hasn't really mattered

once i am off spiro (hopefully next year...) i will consider painting them regularly again since i did happen to enjoy it