Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

D1E posted:

Awesome! Just continue to be patient and kind to him - this whole thing is stressful to kitty. Hopefully someday he'll be jumping in your lap and you'll be taking naps together.

Good luck with this. I now have an excellent nap cat who started out hiding from me and not eating that I could tell. It gets better.

IronDoge posted:

That's where it was originally, but then he kept jumping on on the windows. Eventually he got stuck in the blinds despite me having drawn them all the way up. Woke up at like 4 in the morning to loud meowing and had to pull him out while not getting clawed to pieces at the same time. He can enjoy the view from a distance for now.

I'd probably take the blinds down, but I spoil the crap out of the cats. It's a good sign that he was adventuring and taking an interest, and probably won't hurt that you were able to rescue him.

On the subject of cat furniture in front of windows: anyone know of some cat furniture that's sturdy and vaguely bookshelf-shaped? I had a bookshelf about three feet high in front of a window, and my bigger cats liked having all that flat space to sun themselves in. Most cat furniture seems to be either a giant tree or some little perch thing, and mine want something broad and flat, about three feet high and two to four feet wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

buy a bookshelf

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

buy a bookshelf

This, but one without a back to it so you can put it by a window for them to sun on. You can wrap a towel around the shelf (make sure to secure it well) if you want to provide some extra comfort.

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

buy a bookshelf

This.

I admit that there may be too many cat beds in that picture.

listrada fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 11, 2018

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

listrada posted:

This.

I admit that there may be too many cat beds in that picture.

Ikea actually makes a cat hidey hole/bed for the Kallax.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

If you click the ? under my profile, I posted mine a couple pages ago. Kallax units are half shelf, half cat playground.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Pixelante posted:

If you click the ? under my profile, I posted mine a couple pages ago. Kallax units are half shelf, half cat playground.

Sorry for missing that.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Terry HIGHLY approves of the new automatic feeder. We'll see if he knocks off being a dick in the morning though

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

https://imgur.com/a/I0kSz

My new fosters, mom and 4 babies, one day old. Please pardon the poops. Kitten 5 was small and rejected by mom, so she's with an expert bottle feeder. Odds aren't great, but if anyone can get her to pull through it's my friend.

Need help with names! Must be job title + person name + cat attribute.

Orange Tabby is Staff Sergeant Steve Sassypants.

Calico 1 (the one with the bottle feeder) is the Honorable Floof Bader Ginsburg.

Calico 2 and both grey tuxedos need names.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Private Second Class Robert "Bobby" Bashful

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Grand Wizard Gandalf the Grey

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Supreme Leader Kim Il Foof.
Pharoah Foofsez the III.

Mix and match. My kitten's full name is Princess Punkin-tits "Electricity" Foofy-butt Holt.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Technician Karen L. Cuteface (was originally Cuteness, changed at Ellis island)
Seaman Gregory Squirrelbane
Lieutenant Chester Q. Cunning

listrada
Jan 2, 2017
My orange one is Doctor Professor Phoebe, Master of Gravity. Her thesis was based on late night experiments with objects on counters.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I'm thinking Major Tom Catte, Astronaut, but that's quite a gamble on gender.

Mom is nursing her remaining four kittens very well and they seem happy and healthy. I'll get word on the Hon. Floof Bader Ginsburg soon, keep your fingers crossed for her!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

https://imgur.com/a/2cI3v

Here's a better shot of mama and her minifloofs.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

OK, Terry is all about the automatic feeder and being-a-dick incidents are down 80%! Thank you all for spurring me to do this, it will really improve my relationship with him because I won't be shoving him away so drat much. :)

I also got a Catit water fountain that he's super uninterested in. I have tried the different configurations which make the water flow differently, but no matter what he prefers drinking still water from a bowl. Which is what he's done all his life of course, so how do I convince my cat that he is a cat and should prefer moving water?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Eh, don't bother. Just refill the water more than once a week and your cat will live.

I got rid of the motor and lid for my fountain and just fill it up like a giant bowl.

"Major Tom Catte, Space Explorer" maybe works better?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

OK, Terry is all about the automatic feeder and being-a-dick incidents are down 80%! Thank you all for spurring me to do this, it will really improve my relationship with him because I won't be shoving him away so drat much. :)

I also got a Catit water fountain that he's super uninterested in. I have tried the different configurations which make the water flow differently, but no matter what he prefers drinking still water from a bowl. Which is what he's done all his life of course, so how do I convince my cat that he is a cat and should prefer moving water?

It's just water. It doesn't really matter if it's moving or not. Cats tend to prefer moving water, but don't necessarily. If he's drinking enough he's fine.

Leave the fountain going for a while. He may get interested in it once he gets used to it being around.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, if he's drinking well out of a bowl, no need to worry about a fountain. The important thing is that the cat gets enough safe drinking water; no need to stress about where it's from.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I got a fountain just because Jet seemed to prefer licking up dripping water and condensation, and he uses it but still does the other stuff as well. :downs: So cats are gonna cats. Just keep the water and fountain clean.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

paperwind posted:

The vet told her they found cancer in the tissue they removed from his ear.

Update on this. As expected, my girlfriend decided against chemo due to the cost (I can't afford to chip in on it either). This really sucks, knowing for certain he is going to be leaving us at some point this year. :(

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

paperwind posted:

Update on this. As expected, my girlfriend decided against chemo due to the cost (I can't afford to chip in on it either). This really sucks, knowing for certain he is going to be leaving us at some point this year. :(

I'm sorry friend. I have lost four cats over the years, and I absolutely dread the thought of losing the two I have now. At the same time I worry about what would happen to them if something happens to me and I die before they do (I'm 45). Honestly, my life's goal at this point is to live long enough to guarantee them full and happy lives. They'll probably be my last pets.

None of which helps you, I know - please just accept that someone out there understands what you're going through and cares enough to take the time to send a message: love and spoil that kitty with all the time he has left. Accept that you did the best you could and remember the chin scratches and the belly-rubs and the naps together and all the good times you shared.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

paperwind posted:

Super lovely, I'm so sorry :( Give him the best life in the time remaining, that's all that's left to do.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Hello cat thread!

My wife and I finally got our two kitties to the vet after a long time of not taking them (they're indoor only and historically low maintenance). We've moved twice now (sold our place and had 2 months until our house was done) and with the stress and some small incidents (I'll get into) it just felt like a good time to get them both in.

Juice was my cat before we moved in together and is about the easiest cat to care for ever. Phoenix was my wife's cat before we moved in together and is extremely skittish and shy, but a sweet cat to those she gets to know.

We've noticed that Phoenix will leave spots on the bed when she lays down after using the litter box and chalked it up to her not grooming enough or something, we scooped her up a few times and tried to clean her up with some baby wipes and it would help, but it would start again after a bit. She acts completely normal (for her) so we never thought much of it really.We finally got her to the vet and it turns out that she has this fold that overweight female cats can get that prevents her from being able to properly groom that area and she's developed what is effectively diaper rash for cats. They trimmed her hair back there, cleaned her up, gave her a shot of antibiotics and sent us hope with some medicated wipes/spray to use on her for a bit, which is going to be fun since she doesn't like being held.

Anyways, they've said we need to get her to lose 2-3 lbs (she's currently 15lbs, so not terribly heavy but overweight). We're going to cut down on their food (we've been doing 1/3 cup twice a day for both of them, they eat some when we put it out and then graze on it through the day), but I'm looking for suggestions on getting her exercise. She likes playing with/chasing a laser pointer, hair elastics, and these little stuffed mice we got them, but getting her to play when we're around is hard because if we're moving around too much she likes to hide under our bed. She basically spends 98% of her time in our room so it's hard to get her to run around too much as she gets nervous in other parts of the house. So mainly just looking for tips on getting a skittish cat to play/exercise more, as if she doesn't lose weight we might have to get a surgery done which sounds expensive and we'd just rather not put her through that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sometimes, when my girlfriend and I go to bed, we fall asleep watching nature documentaries on Netflix. Our cat has taken to sitting on the foot of the bed watching intently. Just... just chilling and watching TV. She'll leave to go to the litter box or eat some food, then come back and keep watching until the sleep timer turns the TV off. Like she'll happy sit there and watch two episodes of Planet Earth right straight through. Then she'll curl up on the spot and snooze with us until morning.

I love my weird cat so much.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

https://imgur.com/a/jI59671

Mama Sarah and Major Tom Catte, Space Explorer.

Not pictured: Emma, Esq. Staff Sergeant Steve Sassypants, Still Unnamed Grey Tuxedo, MD.

The Hon. Floof Bader Ginsburg is still with us! My expert bottle feeder escalated her to an expert tube feeder, and now she's eating out of a syringe-style bottle. She's not out of the woods, but her odds are improving every day. Once she gets to be a normal, healthy bottle feeding kitten she's coming back to me. I sense a foster failure coming on...

Advice needed: Mama Sarah has some serious matting around her sassypants and on her belly. She's super friendly and lets me brush her, but obviously I can't brush out the mats. I can't take her to a groomer because she's still nursing. Would it harm anything to try and gently cut out whatever mats I can, or do I risk making the problem worse? She's theoretically going back to her original owner after she weans and gets spayed, which I don't necessarily love, but either way I want to return her in top condition. What's the best way to proceed?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Wroughtirony posted:

Still Unnamed Grey Tuxedo, MD.

I nominate Dr. Sterling (or Cynthia) Fuzzbucket, MD, Ph.D.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Harrow posted:

Sometimes, when my girlfriend and I go to bed, we fall asleep watching nature documentaries on Netflix. Our cat has taken to sitting on the foot of the bed watching intently. Just... just chilling and watching TV. She'll leave to go to the litter box or eat some food, then come back and keep watching until the sleep timer turns the TV off. Like she'll happy sit there and watch two episodes of Planet Earth right straight through. Then she'll curl up on the spot and snooze with us until morning.

I love my weird cat so much.

I had a cat once that would watch nature documentaries all day if she could. She was pretty weird.

No other cat I've had before or since seemed to even care about what the TV was up to.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I had a cat once that would watch nature documentaries all day if she could. She was pretty weird.

No other cat I've had before or since seemed to even care about what the TV was up to.

One of my cats loves TV. He particularly likes birds and squirrels, but generally likes action. He'll attack the screen and try to scratch anything that moves.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Wroughtirony posted:

https://imgur.com/a/jI59671

Mama Sarah and Major Tom Catte, Space Explorer.

Not pictured: Emma, Esq. Staff Sergeant Steve Sassypants, Still Unnamed Grey Tuxedo, MD.

The Hon. Floof Bader Ginsburg is still with us! My expert bottle feeder escalated her to an expert tube feeder, and now she's eating out of a syringe-style bottle. She's not out of the woods, but her odds are improving every day. Once she gets to be a normal, healthy bottle feeding kitten she's coming back to me. I sense a foster failure coming on...

Advice needed: Mama Sarah has some serious matting around her sassypants and on her belly. She's super friendly and lets me brush her, but obviously I can't brush out the mats. I can't take her to a groomer because she's still nursing. Would it harm anything to try and gently cut out whatever mats I can, or do I risk making the problem worse? She's theoretically going back to her original owner after she weans and gets spayed, which I don't necessarily love, but either way I want to return her in top condition. What's the best way to proceed?

Carefully trimming away the mats can only help. Electric trimmers should work if you've got them, but otherwise I'd use scissors with blunted tips in case she gets wiggly. Don't want an accidental jab. Mats are not just unsightly but can foster infections and various skin conditions, so it is good to get rid of em.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Paul Dinning sits some bait in front of a camera, cuts out huge spans of nothing in the footage, and uploads the result. Lucy loves it. Pounces when she's in the mood, watches from a chill distance when she's not.

Any tips for helping Lucy get her butt nuggets properly in the tray? She's close to the mark when she fails, so she wants to bury her poop. Her aim's just worse than Puck, who is a blind 19yo stroke victim who was knocking on heaven's door, then ran in the opposite direction when it was opened because cat.

Lu's also the Rip Taylor of litter. Am willing to buy a better tray or five.

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010

VivaLa Eeveelution posted:

Paul Dinning sits some bait in front of a camera, cuts out huge spans of nothing in the footage, and uploads the result. Lucy loves it. Pounces when she's in the mood, watches from a chill distance when she's not.

Any tips for helping Lucy get her butt nuggets properly in the tray? She's close to the mark when she fails, so she wants to bury her poop. Her aim's just worse than Puck, who is a blind 19yo stroke victim who was knocking on heaven's door, then ran in the opposite direction when it was opened because cat.

Lu's also the Rip Taylor of litter. Am willing to buy a better tray or five.

Yes, my cats also like youtube. They're a fan of Paul Dinning's work.

Here's a clip of Casper enjoying a video (not Paul Dinning in this particular one).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwhe7zFiKbs

Edit: This one is Paul Dinning! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww4gpH_lQGs

Raimondo fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 19, 2018

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'm reminded of this for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmPse1nV3Gs

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Is there anything a vet can do for a cat cold, or should you just ride it out like a people cold?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I continue to follow the Tiny Kittens saga of Chloe, Ramona, and Rula (Ramona had her babies a few days ago, one died due to Fading Kitten Syndrome), and this is the face of Done With This poo poo:

Chloe the catermelon, estimated due date is the 22nd.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

My cat gets matted during the summer. Definitely Google this, you can snip skin folds twisted up in the matt. Sometimes it's not too bad to try to snip the matt perpendicular. The trick is to tear the matt from the base. If you're pulling apart from the top and break through the knot you will make kitty very unhappy. I recommend using a fork to pierce the knots and if it seems pliable, gently pull out from the base, possibly holding the skin back so it doesn't pull out, but yah, poke a bunch of holes in it and it'll break up easier. Get a Furminator.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 20, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

taiyoko posted:

I continue to follow the Tiny Kittens saga of Chloe, Ramona, and Rula (Ramona had her babies a few days ago, one died due to Fading Kitten Syndrome), and this is the face of Done With This poo poo:

Chloe the catermelon, estimated due date is the 22nd.

It looks like Rula is delivering right now. Shelly (the awesome foster) is out at an obligation right now so she isn't working the camera, but a vet tech is helping out with Rula's babies. One of them got moved over to Ramona to nurse because Rula was freaking out, so at least you can see that one on camera (it's the black one on Ramona's rear legs).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PowGFq6X3Co

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 20, 2018

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Whoever it was who recommended I use the back of a zoom groom to remove hair from clothes: thanks, it works pretty well! I’m not sure I’d buy one just for the purpose but since I already had one it was an excellent idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
This kitty was howling on my porch - So I took him in - his microchip was never registered (it was installed somewhere in the Suburbs - I live in deep south philly). The place it was installed at couldn't tell me whose cat it was, contacted the ASPCA, PAWS and Project Meow along with posting flyers - no one ever claimed him - my Kitty now. We named him Pound Cake - we think he is part Main Coon because of his size. - he's only estimated to be no more than 2yo but probably around 1yo - FIV/Felv free and he uses the litter box properly.

Edit: my husband thinks that he thinks I'm his mom because he will almost never leave my side and whenever I fall asleep on my stomach he gives me back massages from kneeding my back.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 20, 2018