Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Finger Prince posted:

:stonklol:
There's a video of a dude attempting to ride/turn one! (which answers my question from the photos - how does it turn? Not very well)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0q0KXGl1Y4

Tracks make everything better.

None of your "logic" or "video evidence" will convince me otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wonder if you got that thing up to speed in the snow how much of the rooster tail would end up end up packed around your dick.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

xzzy posted:

I wonder if you got that thing up to speed in the snow how much of the rooster tail would end up end up packed around your dick.

You could answer the question "you ever taken it in the dirt?" with "yes, and yes."

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

She also had a custom short-wheelbase Mercedes.

Yeah, and massive internal hemorrhaging.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah, and massive internal hemorrhaging.
Uncool.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

xzzy posted:

Chrysler put the tracks in the right spot at least

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Finger Prince posted:

:stonklol:
There's a video of a dude attempting to ride/turn one! (which answers my question from the photos - how does it turn? Not very well)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0q0KXGl1Y4

Man, you gotten muscle that thing around.

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Chrysler put the tracks in the right spot at least

Much better. Though I get the "it climbs things" aspect of the Mercier, it just makes literally everything else more difficult.

Spotted these beauties on the road Saturday:

Sorry about the potato phone. It was on my dash mount navigating at the time.
That Li'l Red Express sounded pretty healthy.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
guys today i remembered having a 6' poster of this car on my wall as a kid. next to the other massive poster of a countach

:iia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ETPoc2aSbM

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

guys today i remembered having a 6' poster of this car on my wall as a kid. next to the other massive poster of a countach

I had that "learn to draw cars" book as a kid and I remember spending a lot of time on the side profile of that car.

The future could have been so cool.

Brb buying a lottery ticket.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

sneakyfrog posted:

I saw a vector driving in rush hour traffic in Austin, maybe 8-9 years ago. It burned down not long after my sighting.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Those Mercedes have a big glovebox it turns out... you can fit a Princess in one

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

Hahha omg yes. Everything about this. I especially love the early era flight readout style dash.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Professor of Cats posted:

Hahha omg yes. Everything about this. I especially love the early era flight readout style dash.
I think the first time I saw one of these was in Rising Sun.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:allbuttons:

there are just so many buttons

:swoon:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/k_burrns/status/986446319743991809?s=19

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Professor of Cats posted:

And that's why they were called Vector Aeromotive.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

sneakyfrog posted:

Vector wanted to sue Nissan of Australia as one of the trim levels of the small Pulsar car sold in Australia was the Vector.

Considering the Vector wasn't sold in Australia, it didn't really make much sense.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
As much sense as using a 3spd auto and slapping a CD stacker into the dash I guess.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

LARGE CANVAS SACK

HOLE FOR HEAD

GROMMETS

Some great selling points there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wonder how many c clamps were left sprinkled on the highway.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
It's hard to advertise an outside of the car sack for your unruly child. Goat is much easier.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

KA swapped wagon :perfect:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's hard to advertise an outside of the car sack for your unruly child. Goat is much easier.

They gave no fucks back in the day.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xzzy posted:

They gave no fucks back in the day.

Of all the places you could put an infant in a 1950s car in the event of an accident, that's quite possibly one of the more survivable ones.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

LARGE CANVAS SACK

HOLE FOR HEAD

GROMMETS

This is exactly my old Tinder profile.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Of all the places you could put an infant in a 1950s car in the event of an accident, that's quite possibly one of the more survivable ones.

If you squint at the edges it's hooked on the windows.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

InitialDave posted:

I was literally thinking the exact same thing

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

LARGE CANVAS SACK

HOLE FOR HEAD

GROMMETS

I have goats. These are indeed bonuses.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Rhyno posted:

This is exactly my old Tinder profile.

lmao

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

That about sums the feeling up completely.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

xzzy posted:

I wonder how many c clamps were left sprinkled on the highway.

I have previously had discussions about the correct name for these clamps, but when holding a Goat it is definitely a G-clamp.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Found at a thrift store for $8. 4" (nominal) post for scale -- the piston is 4.25" wide. Has
code:
GM
Upside-down on the conrod just above the crankshaft, along with "[round-bottomed letter/digit] 73B" on the side boss (visible in the photo) just to the left of the above. It's half ground-off, I assume those bosses are for balance adjustment. The face is dished with a 7/8" rim and a sort of nipple in the center (a 7/8" cylinder raised to the height of the edges), and is solidly coated in carbon. Any idea what it's from, if only so I can order a replacement for the missing nut? Annoyingly, I have several of the right size but wrong thread pich.

They also had several others of varying sizes with little clocks in the conrod end for $15, that was cute, but I prefer brake rotors and gears for car-parts clocks.

Edit:

That explains how it ended up in a thrift store, I guess. Presumably fragged by one of its brothers.

Mopar 440? I'll have my Chrysler-dealership parts-desk guy see if he can look it up tomorrow (do they still sell 440 pistons?), but, idk how its 4.32" bore is measured, seems about right given ring gap.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 20, 2018

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

This is near peak trying too hard.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Found at a thrift store for $8. 4" (nominal) post for scale -- the piston is 4.25" wide. Has
code:
GM
Any idea what it's from, if only so I can order a replacement for the missing nut?
The GM 8.1L Vortec is 494 cubic inches with a 4.25" bore, seems like the obvious candidate.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

MonkeyNutZ posted:

The GM 8.1L Vortec is 494 cubic inches with a 4.25" bore, seems like the obvious candidate.

Ah, newer than I've heard of. "Bore" is piston diameter, not accounting for rings? Has a lot more skirt and dish that GIS shows for ... any of the possibilities.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Bore is the diameter of the cylinders themselves. The pistons are tyen sized to the bore. Also check a 454 and a cadillac 500ci motor. And a ford 460ci motor.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's a buick 455

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Powershift posted:

It's a buick 455

I completely blanked on the 455s, despite seeing the Roadkill extra of Freiburger explaining the difference. I did guess Ford 460, and Chevy 454 after googling, but apparently didn't edit it in. But that's it exactly (well, minus a bit of fouling.)

So not only do I have a giant piston, I have a somewhat rare giant piston.

Neat.

Edit: Appears to be a '74 model, from the other photos I can find on GIS showing the face.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 20, 2018

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65jW-FVAd2o

Absurd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

:wow: