Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Discretion is the better part of valour.
Hide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Let's hide!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
We've already done our hilariously-reveal-ourselves-by-choosing-the-obviously-wrong-option for the day. I'm quite content to hide.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Leraika posted:

Hello, my fellow evil guy! How are you enjoying being evil, like I am, on this fine day?

The Masters of Darkness posted:

At your approach, the Ligan slows and makes a sign in the air with his warty hand. When you fail to respond, he becomes agitated and moves directly in front of you to block your way. A tingling sensation ripples your scalp as a wave of psychic energy washes over your mind. The Ligan has probed your thoughts and discovered that you are an impostor. He emits a high-pitched shriek and unsheathes a dagger from his belt as he launches himself maniacally at your chest.

Ligan: COMBAT SKILL 25 ENDURANCE 26

Unless you possess the Magnakai Discipline of Psi-screen, deduct 1 ENDURANCE point at the beginning of every round of combat, owing to the Ligan’s persistent psychic attacks.
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 31
Ligan: COMBAT SKILL 25 ENDURANCE 26
Combat Ratio: 5

We roll: 1
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 27
Ligan: COMBAT SKILL 25 ENDURANCE 20

We roll: 1
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 23
Ligan: COMBAT SKILL 25 ENDURANCE 14

We roll: 7
Ligan: COMBAT SKILL 25 ENDURANCE 2

We roll: 8
Ligan: COMBAT SKILL 25 ENDURANCE 0

You drag the dead Ligan into the shadows and check his pockets for anything that may prove useful. All that you discover is a Black Key. If you wish to keep this key, mark it on your Action Chart as a Backpack Item.

Curing: +1 EP (24/38).

You follow the passage for nearly an hour before you happen upon something that raises your flagging spirits. At a junction with two other tunnels your eye is drawn to a large emblem that has been chiselled skilfully out of the granite wall. It is a depiction of a snake’s skull with two fly-like eyes, surrounded by a circle of fire. At once you recognize this carving: it is the personal emblem of Darklord Gnaag. You study the sign: it must mark the start of a tunnel that leads to the Imperial Sector of the city.

With your pulse racing, you set off along the torchlit tunnel. You have not gone very far when you see that it ends at a large steel door, guarded by two monstrous creatures clad in heavy plate mail. A smaller door appears to your left, and, as you draw level with it, you reach out and turn its handle. The door is locked.

Curing: +1 EP (25/38).

You insert the Black Key and twist it. The lock clicks and the door swings open silently to reveal a stunning sight. A large, low-ceiling room lies beyond, filled with colossal tanks of glass that bubble and seethe with all manner of sorcerous fluids. Glass tubes loop and contort in curious shapes, connecting the tanks and enabling their contents to flow from one to another. The air is heavy with the stench of acids and harsh chemicals, and the walls are lined from ceiling to floor with stoppered jars, each one filled with a brightly coloured powder, liquid, or gas.

On one workbench a curious, arrow-shaped rod is suspended in a field of electrical energy. The crackling fire arcs between two vertical plates of metal, making the arrow glow with a strange phosphorescent light. You take a closer look and see that a lever protruding from the bench itself controls the flow of power. Then you notice that behind the bench there is another door.

Curing: +1 EP (26/38).
  1. Do we keep the Black Key?
  2. Shall we take a closer look at the rod or go straight for the door?

Backpack:
  1. Rope
  2. Lantern
  3. Meal
  4. Bottle of Wine
  5. Iron Key
  6. Potion of Alether (+2 CS)
  7. Potion of Alether (+2 CS)
  8. 4 Gold Crowns

I guess I should have asked if we wanted to keep the black key as its own separate choice before the section where we used it, but it would have been pretty suspicious since I never do that. I also think it's dumb that keys are now backpack items, but that's the rules so if we do keep it we'll have to throw something out. Up to now we can say we've just been holding it in our hand the whole time.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 18, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Lone Wolf, Rod Inspector

e: toss the key, it's served its purpose

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Keep the key, we'll never need those 4 gold crowns.

Look at the rod.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Keep the key, drop the wine. Inspect the rod.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Keep the key, drop the Iron Key we looked from that Drakkar a while back. Inspect the rod.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
IN ROD WE TRUST

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

Maugrim posted:

Look at the rod.

This.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Maugrim posted:

Look at the rod.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Maugrim posted:

Look at the rod.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

ulmont posted:

Keep the key, drop the Iron Key we looked from that Drakkar a while back. Inspect the rod.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Leraika posted:

e: toss the key, it's served its purpose
Everyone loves inspecting rods.

The rod is a Zejar-dulaga, a poisonous arrow imbued with magical accuracy. If you wish to turn off the power and take this Zejar-dulaga, mark it on your Action Chart as a Special Item, which you carry in your Quiver. The Zejar-dulaga occupies the same space in your Quiver as a normal Arrow. If you have 6 Arrows, you may discard one in favour of the Zejar-dulaga.

Having satisfied yourself that there is nothing else of practical use in this laboratory, you decide to leave.

Curing: +1 EP (27/38).
  1. Do we take the magic arrow? (We currently have five regular arrows)
  2. Shall we investigate the door or go back the way we came and try to get past the guards in the corridor?

You may notice that no special rules are stated for the magic arrow, which tells us that it's intended for a specific purpose and not as an all-purpose weapon to be used at will. We will, however, be able to use it as a regular arrow should we run out, but I will be sure to point out in advance if it's the last one remaining so we won't use it accidentally.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Take the arrow, duh. And check out the door.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Maugrim posted:

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Maugrim posted:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Take the arrow and go back the way we came. I favor not leaving enemies behind us (yes I’m aware they’re all around us but never mind).

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Maugrim posted:

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Loot the arrow and the passage through the door.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Maugrim posted:

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Tiggum posted:

You may notice that no special rules are stated for the magic arrow, which tells us that it's intended for a specific purpose and not as an all-purpose weapon to be used at will. We will, however, be able to use it as a regular arrow should we run out, but I will be sure to point out in advance if it's the last one remaining so we won't use it accidentally.

Sounds like one of those "playing previous books is not essential for completion of this quest"-justifying thingies.

Take the not-Silver Arrow so we can shoot not-Ganon with it when the time is right.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

check out the door.
Never tun back!

The door is not locked, and beyond it you discover another hall equally as impressive as the laboratory. It is the Imperial Armoury, and it is filled with row upon row of fearsome weapons.

Curing: +1 EP (28/38).

You walk through the armoury, and past an arsenal of fiendish devices that have yet to be unleashed on the allied armies of the Freelands, but are destined soon to be shipped to the battle front to speed Gnaag’s conquest of Magnamund. A passage at the far end of the hall takes you past a barracks-like room where Nadziranim sorcerers are busily engaged in the testing of new psychic weapons upon a group of grey-skinned slaves, mindless Grolth from the swamps of the Tadatizaga. Their pitiful screams of agony make your blood run cold, yet you dare not intervene to prevent their torture for fear of jeopardizing your mission. Hurriedly you climb a staircase that emerges at the foot of a monstrous tower, as black as death itself. Two fireballs split open the rolling black clouds and in the brilliance of their explosions you see a huge metallic flag flying from the tower’s crystal spire. It is emblazoned with the emblem of Darklord Gnaag, and at once you know that you have found what you are looking for: the Tower of the Damned.

As your eyes move down the tower, you notice a large oval platform jutting out from the black steel wall. Perched on this platform is an Imperial Zlanbeast, similar to the one that bore you to Aarnak. It, too, bears Gnaag’s sign, branded deep in its leathery hide. Its presence suggests that its master is in residence, and as you cross the courtyard and walk towards the tower door, your senses tingle in anticipation of the confrontation that awaits you within.

As you climb the steps that lead to the door, it slides open to reveal the outline of a guard silhouetted against a background of scarlet fire. In a claw-tipped hand he holds several slivers of crystal, each a different colour, and, as you reach the top of the steps, he draws a silvery-grey one and points it at your face. ‘State your name, minion of Ghanesh!’ he commands, ‘or begone from the Tower of the Damned.’

You sense that the guard does not suspect you of being an impostor, he is merely performing a routine check on all who visit the tower. To have come this far into the Imperial Sector means that you have passed through several checkpoints already, and so the guard does not regard you as a threat to his master’s safety. In order to be allowed to pass, you must state the name of the Ligan whose identity and robe you are using as a disguise.

Curing: +1 EP (29/38).
What's our name?

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
How does this work in the actual book itself? Are you just given a list of names to choose from?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

How does this work in the actual book itself? Are you just given a list of names to choose from?

Yes.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Stand aside! I, Cagath, have business with your master!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Mikl posted:

Stand aside! I, Cagath, have business with your master!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Our name is... Our name is... Cagath. If he asks further questions, our favorite color is green, our quest is to annoy him, and Magnamund has no native swallows.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mikl posted:

Stand aside! I, Cagath, have business with your master! am here to check out the Transfusor! Which way is it?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

We're the new guy, Morgath. It's our first day!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

We are most definitely Cadak

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Cagath

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
"I am Foolio Displacius, destroyer of the Seven Suns!"

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

achtungnight posted:

Our name is... Our name is... Cagath. If he asks further questions, our favorite color is green, our quest is to annoy him, and Magnamund has no native swallows.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

achtungnight posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

If Magnamund has no swallows, how would the guard know what one was to ask about it?

The crystal shard emits a tinkling, bell-like sound, and the guard moves aside to allow you to enter the Tower of the Damned. He points to a column of bright blue light, descending from the darkness above, and tells you to step into its shimmering rays. You hesitate, and he laughs mockingly at your indecision.

‘Go on, step in. It’s quicker than climbing the stairs.’ Your Kai senses tell you that the column is a beam of partial gravity, a transportation device that will draw you slowly towards the top of the tower.

You step into the light and feel yourself rising. Minutes later, the sensation stops and you step from the beam into a huge, domed chamber. The polished walls and floor glisten like the mirrored surfaces of a black lake. The aura of evil hangs everywhere like a thick mist. It closes your throat and threatens to suffocate you. Your heart pounds loudly as you move towards a dais at the centre of the chamber, where a machine rests that matches the description of the Transfusor that Lord Rimoah gave you before leaving Toran. You reach for your Backpack, but before you can lift your robe and unshoulder it, the chamber is filled with a roaring growl.

‘What brings you here, vermin of Ghanesh?’

It is the voice of Darklord Taktaal. From the shadows of an archway, he slithers towards the dais, his smooth, ice-white head swaying upon a fur-covered snake body, riddled with disease. Your stomach turns as you watch a muzzle distend from his face, and then split open to reveal a row of razor-sharp fangs. Seemingly you are a lowly follower of his hated rival, Darklord Ghanesh, and you know that if you are to survive you must answer his command convincingly.

Curing: +1 EP (30/38).
Do we tell him that we're here to defect from Ghanesh's service and serve him instead, or tell him that we've come to deliver secret information about Darklord Ghanesh?

Reducing gravity makes you fall... up? :confused:

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 19, 2018

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Offer to defect. Maybe he’ll give us a quest to kill Ghanesh.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tiggum posted:

Tell him that we've come to deliver secret information about Darklord Ghanesh?

Let’s offer some good goss!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I have very important information straight from the desk of the Dark Lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
It'll be easier to bluff that we're pretending to defect